• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

Yes Boss!

Cave blog seems to be shifting over to Mushi Futari. They put up an example of their upgraded graphics.

hikaku_ac_2.jpg

hikaku_x360_2.jpg

Yes Boss!

_dementia said:
wow

still haven't got a J360 :(

Jump in! Well at least for Futari.

Aren't the new arcades the better chip set? I admit, it it is a bit nerve-racking having one of these boxes but all three of my 360s (including my launch unit from 2005) are still running fine. And my launch unit has been all over CA and is currently in San Francisco at my twin brother's place...it has hundreds of hours of play on it.

I also noticed that play-asia now has Death Smiles Limited in stock. Overpriced at $150 but seems like plenty available. Shmup forum said the blog talks of a forthcoming Futari SE. I'm neither here nor there on an SE...all I want is a new Futari stick released so my DS version has a little sibling.

Yeah, the new Arcades are Jaspers. I got one and it's really quiet and nice. Hopefully it has a nice, long life. My U.S. unit just died on me. :( I never got to try Raiden Fighters with my Seimitsu! This'll push me back into Death Smiles though. I gotta 1cc it. It can't be that hard!

Was reading about this over at the Shmups forum and since Adversesolutions is banned I guess nobody else was interested in picking it up.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/06/19/dodonpachi_controversy/

Basically the company 5pb hired to port Dodonpachi DoJ for 360 stole the source code from the PS2 version(Holy shit).

More about this shocking development can be read here: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=19021&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1530

Anyway Mihara looks to be heading up a revision of the busted DoJ BL EX port. Chances are this might require a re-release because he believes the 360 version needs nothing short of a full re-code.
Also Cave has apparently tapped the guy behind Deathsmilies 360 to handle Ketsui 360.

Absolutely crazy.

danmaku

shintoki said:
So Ketsui is Cave and not 5pb who did DoJ? What about Mushihime?

No, it's still 5PB but now there's a Cave guy working with them and he's the director of the Death Smiles port (Asada IIRC). Mushi Futari is being developed 100% by Cave.

Also, there's another 360 shooter coming out in a few days, Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta!

pa.154162.1.jpg

mamoru-kun-wa-norowarete-shimatta-xbox-360-001.jpg

mamoru-kun-wa-norowarete-shimatta-xbox-360-003.jpg

If the idea of a cute'em-up doesn't scare you to death, this might be an interesting game. Developed by G-Rev, the guys behind Border Down, Under Defeat and Senko No Ronde. Graphics aren't ground-breaking but still good and the scoring system, from what I've been told, is well designed. Basically you have to keep a chain by "tagging" the enemies with the noroi (=curse) shot and then kill them with the regular shot to turn them into candies and get more points. And, yeah, I like the art style. Bite me :D

Yes Boss!

danmaku said:
If the idea of a cute'em-up doesn't scare you to death, this might be an interesting game. Developed by G-Rev, the guys behind Border Down, Under Defeat and Senko No Ronde. Graphics aren't ground-breaking but still good and the scoring system, from what I've been told, is well designed. Basically you have to keep a chain by "tagging" the enemies with the noroi (=curse) shot and then kill them with the regular shot to turn them into candies and get more points. And, yeah, I like the art style. Bite me :D

Got this one coming in! Don't know much about it but I've been watching the videos over the last few months....very hard to find information in English. It was actually my big shooter game for the month of June but I bought a bunch or others recently that have stolen some of its thunder.

Also, what does the update do for Death Smiles? I hadn't turned it on for a few weeks but was prompted for one.

epmode

Every time I check this thread, I get a little closer to a J360.

Will my USA Street Fighter 4 TE stick work with a J360?

epmode

All of the existing shooters are readily available? Or would I have to sell my car to afford some out-of-print copy?

Yes Boss!

epmode said:
All of the existing shooters are readily available? Or would I have to sell my car to afford some out-of-print copy?

All in print and readily available for about $65. Even DDPBLEX, which was said to have been stopped being replenished, has been in stock for the last few months at play-asia. Shiki III and RFA go in and out of availability at the importers for a few weeks at a time but always come back to in-stack status. Death Smiles limited goes for just a little over a hundred on eBay...plenty out there and not really limited.

mikanko

I tried, but could never really get into Mushihime. I will probably pick up Futari, but god I want them to release Galuda II more than any game from any genre I want to see a home port for. I already have the ESPGaluda II superplay dvd along with the ost... if there's ever a game that will someday force me to get into a supergun, it'll be that.

Yes Boss!

mikanko said:
I tried, but could never really get into Mushihime. I will probably pick up Futari, but god I want them to release Galuda II more than any game from any genre I want to see a home port for. I already have the ESPGaluda II superplay dvd along with the ost... if there's ever a game that will someday force me to get into a supergun, it'll be that.

Yeah, I'm trying to decide what would be a first good ideal Cave PCB purchase. I've narrowed it down to Pink Sweets or ESPGaluda II. Leaning towards Pink Sweets since it is kinda different. Both PCBs are not too badly priced.

The 5pb source code thieving business is hilarious. It sounds like it may have a happy ending though? I sure hope so.

I totally forgot about Mamoru-kun. Thanks for the reminder, danmaku! Play-Asia has it in stock so I ordered it + AzN BlazBlue. Hope they get here before the weekend!

mikanko said:

If you tried Mushi 1 and weren't into it, that won't have a lot to do with your opinion on Futari which is a very different game system. Mushi original is a very straight forward shooter with not much of a scoring system. Mushi Maniac and Ultra however are very complex with all kinds of button tapping requirements for mid-bosses and big enemies. Futari has a little of this but is massively simplified and much more fun IMO. The best CAVE game ever IMHO.

BTW, we did a poll over at cave-stg about the best 10 CAVE games ever, people that are interested should check it out:

http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=624.0

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I just saw this on Play-Asia, How is Do Don Pachi Daioujou DV(PS2)

And second, What about Pachi on 360? Any word on if they are planning to fix it, re-release, etc?

shintoki said:
I just saw this on Play-Asia, How is Do Don Pachi Daioujou DV(PS2)

And second, What about Pachi on 360? Any word on if they are planning to fix it, re-release, etc?

Pachi on 360 is undergoing a pretty thorough patching, which will probably turn out well specifically because the guy who did the PS2 port (which was masterful) is involved. We won't have any more info on the patch contents though until mid-July.

adversesolutions said:
Guwange at #3 surprises me. I haven't noticed much discussion of it these last few years, but I guess I haven't been keeping up with things as much as I used to. Despite it being emulated I never really learned how to play it.

Ketsui, DDP and Espgaluda are definitely my top three. All tied. I have a hard time choosing!

I got that G.Rev pedo game. (I know it's not a Cave game but this is sorta the general shooter thread.) I'm not really a graphics snob but I gotta say I feel like a bit of an idiot spending $70 on a game that barely looks better than a Dreamcast launch title. Haven't played it much but I'm thinking it's not my type of game. I need auto-scroll in my shooters! Love the colorful box art though.

I had the chance to play Guwange in Shibuya a couple weeks ago. It's such a beautiful game with such a deep system that I can understand the high ranking. There are guys at HEY every weekend going hard as hell on Guwange and still attracting onlookers. I think for reasons like these it'll always be a classic (albeit one I didn't really play).

My top 10 for the record:

1) Mushihimesama Futari Black Label
2) Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label
3) Deathsmiles ver. 1.1
4) Muchi Muchi Pork!
5) Dodonpachi
6) Ibara Black Label
7) Espgaluda
8 ) Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu ver 1.5
9) Ketsui
10) Mushihimesama: Arrange Mode

BTW, I kinda like Mamorukun...I think it's a pretty fun game even though the top-level scoring is completely retarded (dunno if you saw the high score replay on the LE DVD). I'm definitely going to keep it and try to get most of the achievements.

Jonnyram

Yeah, I don't think Mamoru-kun is a good scoring game, because of the cheapness in at least one location, but it's still fun as hell to play. I love the additions to the 360 version - twin-stick play is joyous.

adversesolutions said:
BTW, I kinda like Mamorukun...I think it's a pretty fun game even though the top-level scoring is completely retarded (dunno if you saw the high score replay on the LE DVD). I'm definitely going to keep it and try to get most of the achievements.
I didn't get the LE but I did see your post on shmups (it was you, right?) mentioning the endless milking on the DVD. Didn't even bother reading up on the score system after that. I really hate milking.

I actually didn't know there was a dual analog mode. I'll have to try that out. It sounds like I'd enjoy it a lot more. I really have a hard time playing games like this on a stick.

Nikorasu

This is a wonderful thread! I've been playing mushihimesama a lot on the ps2 lately. The only cave games I have previous experience with are do/donpachi, ESPrade, guwange, and progear no arashi, thanks to MAME. I'm assuming it'll be a while yet before mushi or the others are dumped for MAME (what is their rule, 5 years?) so I'm getting whatever I can now on consoles, and my wallet absolutely hates me for it. Shame that cave is so infatuated with the 360 as it's the only system I don't have and don't plan on getting. :(

In somewhat related news, I finally picked up a japanese copy of mars matrix on ebay. 'Bout time I say. :D

Rummy Bunnz said:
I didn't get the LE but I did see your post on shmups (it was you, right?) mentioning the endless milking on the DVD. Didn't even bother reading up on the score system after that. I really hate milking.

I actually didn't know there was a dual analog mode. I'll have to try that out. It sounds like I'd enjoy it a lot more. I really have a hard time playing games like this on a stick.

Yep that's me on shmups. Got banned from GAF for five months or so for making an April Fool's thread lol. Whoops.

If Mamorukun is not clicking for you yet be sure to try out story mode. You don't have to select levels and chaining is much less important, leading to a pretty enjoyable adventure game IMO.

Nikorasu - Mushi, nice choice. Don't do like I did though, waste a month or two working on an original 1cc. Maniac is the way to go, scoring is way too boring in original.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
adversesolutions said:
Pachi on 360 is undergoing a pretty thorough patching, which will probably turn out well specifically because the guy who did the PS2 port (which was masterful) is involved. We won't have any more info on the patch contents though until mid-July.
I know it's odd, but you sure about that? I'm really considering buying the 360 one. And I don't want to be left out to dry :lol

I recall reading that Cave contacted the MAME team and requested they not add the more recent titles, and the MAME team agreed. Not sure if that's true or not but it doesn't look like any other Cave games are gonna be emulated any time soon.

shintoki said:
I know it's odd, but you sure about that? I'm really considering buying the 360 one. And I don't want to be left out to dry :lol
Check out PepsimanVsJoe's post on this page. Has details on the DDPDOJ source code thieving mess and 5pb's plans to fix it. I'm skeptical that the patch will ever materialize but they've said one's coming...

Aaron

shintoki said:
PS2 version is perfect. If it's not too much trouble, I'd just go with that.

Nikorasu

Rummy Bunnz said:
I recall reading that Cave contacted the MAME team and requested they not add the more recent titles, and the MAME team agreed. Not sure if that's true or not but it doesn't look like any other Cave games are gonna be emulated any time soon.

Well, shit. There goes another 80 bucks for the daioujou ps2 port. :|

Benefit to 360 version is online leaderboards and replays, which I think is pretty great. Again, the guy who will be performing surgery on it is Mihara-san, one of the best porting guys out there, so I think it's going to be a pretty good patch. But if you can't wait, the PS2 is still a really good port.

BTW, thanks PepsiManJoe for posting the info, but it turns out that the Deathsmiles guy will not be working on Ketsui unfortunately. That's still a 5pb team, but a "different one". It remains to be seen what Ketsui 360 will be like. I hope they completely strip the disgusting X-mode that Sakari Masaki seems intent on putting in everything.

manzo

Looks like no-one read the 5pb news from the Dodonpachi 360 thread:

edit: Hahah, Pepsimanvsjoe was faster! :D

manzo said:
Seems like the real reason of the cancellation came out last Friday, in case no-one noticed:

http://5pb.jp/games/

Quick and dirty translation of the 09/06/19 news:

We released the game "Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label Extra" on 19th of February 2009 and the game was developed for us by Aquasystem Corporation, who have without permission used and reverse engineered the source code from Playstation 2 game "Dodonpachi Daioujou" by Arika Corporation and CAVE Corporation.

Oh motherfucking snap, looks like Aqua System just emulated the PS2 version by stealing the source code and using it without permission from Arika and Cave. :lol

What now? Looks like BLE's run is over.

But anyway, it's good news that Mihara is onboard with the patching.

Yes Boss!

adversesolutions said:
BTW, we did a poll over at cave-stg about the best 10 CAVE games ever, people that are interested should check it out:

http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=624.0

So, going by that we are in for something really, really special with Futari coming for the 360 it seems.

Also, I'm trying to figure out a good starting-PCB to buy. I've got all the console Cave ports so I'm looking for ideas on something other than those. Budget is around $600-800. Kinda latched on to the Pink Sweets because it is so different and strange and has little love.

Would anybody have any good recommendations?

I personally feel that Mushi Futari Black Label is the best game I've ever played. It goes for normal 1.5 version as well but what makes it so special is:

1. Tough, but reasonable difficulty. When you die, you know why, and you have an idea of how to get around it the next time.

2. Crazy pressure to stunt on everything in sight for mad points. This is a combination of a proximity system that raises your multiplier (in Original) and the unique explosion-based scoring mechanic in Maniac and Ultra which force you to build the screen up with as much bullets as possible and then cash in for huge point gains.

3. Perfectly tuned modes: Original, Maniac and God, each giving you an incentive to try the next ladder up. I started playing Original last March or so and have been playing Futari Black Label ever since. I just got my summer goal score for Maniac mode (500 mil) so I think I might move on to God at some point. Although this will be hard to justify to my wallet.

4. Beautiful graphics. Outside of Daifukkatsu, some of the prettiest graphics in the arcade as far as I'm concerned.

5. Reco is cute. C'mon, you'd hit it.

Ah you asked about a PCB.

Futari is out and Ketsui will probably be decent on 360, so I'd say it's out too. A PCB is a big investment, and if you blow 600-800 on something you hate, it would be quite 残念. I would recommend very much against Pink Sweets because the difficulty is apparently simply retarded. :lol But some people love it...

If you can afford it I would recommend Muchi Muchi Pork!, which might get ported but nothing firm has been announced yet. Ibara Black Label is also amazing, but will probably be pretty expensive. Either is probably better than Pink Sweets IMO...unless you LOVED Ibara. Edit: EspGaluda II is also a possibility, but I have friends that totally hate it so...hard to say.

Yes Boss!

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, Muchi and Espgaluda II are the other two that are on my radar. Muchi is just at my threshold in cost, maybe even $200 beyond. Seeing it track strongly at EOJ's site was interesting. That Guwange game got a ton of love as well.

I was attracted to Pink Sweets because of all the problems...and it seemed like it will never get ported.

I dunno, it has been hard to make a decision. I just want something I can play for a good six months till I get a second. Even if I didn't like it, I'd certainly learn to like it.

Baron

I was all set to buy that new G-Rev game sight unseen, Momoru what-you-call-it, even the LE, which I think is a cool looking package, even had my credit card numbers entered at NCS and everything, but I decided to look more closely into it and watch some videos of the game. Totally turned me off if it. Looks like a mix between Smash TV and The Red Star, mixed with underage anime stereotypes (which I can forgive if wrapped around a fun/less-expensive/more shmuppy game). Just not really shmup enough for me, certainly not $100 shmup-enough. I'd rather take that c-note and put it towards a copy of an older PS1 shmup I really want, whose name I shall not reveal so no-one reads it and goes looking for info on it and then buys the copy I want. :p

Maybe I'd buy the Momoru-washi-what game if they have a "best of" release for $35 or if I can get a second-hand copy of the regular version for less than $50. Looks like fun, just not buy-now-before-other-shmups-on-my-list fun.

Baron said:
I'd rather take that c-note and put it towards a copy of an older PS1 shmup I really want, whose name I shall not reveal so no-one reads it and goes looking for info on it and then buys the copy I want. :p
Harmful Park. Sweet choice!

Yes Boss! said:
So, going by that we are in for something really, really special with Futari coming for the 360 it seems.

Also, I'm trying to figure out a good starting-PCB to buy. I've got all the console Cave ports so I'm looking for ideas on something other than those. Budget is around $600-800. Kinda latched on to the Pink Sweets because it is so different and strange and has little love.

Would anybody have any good recommendations?
I'd actually suggest you hold off on spending that much on a single PCB*. I think aside from Ketsui everything in that price range is a recent title, and there's always a chance they might get a home port. They'll also certainly fall in price...this Cave bubble's gotta pop eventually, right? Though if they do get home ports you can probably still sell them for a good price. I did get a fortune for my Ketsui long after the console version was announced, after all. Cave collectors are crazy.

For less than $600 you can snap up a cheaper Cave game (Dodonpachi is an excellent choice if you don't have the PSX version...and may even be worth it if you do. There's nothing like playing it on a cab.) and a few great non-Cave shooters. Most of them used to be really damn cheap but I think their prices have been slowly creeping up. Like Armed Police Batrider used to be an easy sub-$100 find. I don't think that's the case now. I wouldn't suggest buying a ton, but having 2 or 3 PCBs isn't bad, and by the time you tire of them all the newer games will be more affordable.

Or you could just buy Espgaluda 2 so I can live vicariously through you. Damn I wish I had that game.

Do you have any PCBs currently, by the way? If you mentioned them I must have missed it.

*Though the second PCB I bought (after a $20 copy of Star Trigon) was Ketsui, which cost $290 in 2004. That was like $900 in '04 PCB money! Everyone I knew thought I was insane. But I got the last laugh in the end, ho ho ho! So yeah, I understand the desire to go big right away.

Yes Boss!

Wow,

Thanks for the detailed talk RB and adverse. Cruising the various forums it is very hard to get proper information because everybody seemingly has their agendas.

To be honest, money is not an issue. I'm not rich by any means (make about 20K a year), but spending about a thousand on a single game is really not an issue since I've got tons of savings. I earmarked $800 for a japanese Saturn and a few shooters but since I bought a cabinet and completed my console Cave collection I've decided to go for a PCB instead.

I think I'm going for Muchi Muchi Pork or Espgaluda II. If that means that we will see them ported in the coming year then we are all the better for it. I'll update when I buy the PCB.

regards,

Yes Boss!

Tain

I almost bought Espgaluda II for $450 a few years ago. Would have been a pretty great deal.

Problem today is, I'm not sure how much I can justify a PCB purchase like that when I have so many shooters here that I like and have yet to clear. Just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Nikorasu

Well I just dropped a frightening $160 on dodonpachi daioujou and espgaluda. The entire ps2 collection (as far as I know) is mine! :D

Looks like I'll have to invest in a J360 if I'm going to see any more Cave action than this. :(

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm still fighting over myself if I want to buy Dodon for 360... If they patch I want it, if they don't...Then I'll feel stupid >_>

Already planning to get Ketsui and Futari.

Ok, i've jumped in and ordered a Japanese 360 Arcade (one of the newest Jasper models) plus Otomedius G, DOJ & DeathSmiles - but i've got a few questions (that have probably already been answered before, so appologies if i'm retreading old water);

Firstly, can I use the HDD from my old UK 360 on the new JP one?

Secondly, can I recover and use my old 360 account on the JP 360? (I had quite a few arcade games I wouldn't mind playing again)

Thirdly, i've got a SFIV-TE stick and a VirtuaStick-HG for the PS3 - as both plug in via USB, will I be able to use either on the 360? If not, do any of those Saturn USB pads work with the 360?

Finally, I understand there's DLC for DeathSmiles? What does it consist of, is it worth the asking price and are there MS point cards available in Japan?

Thanks in advance guys :)

Top Bottom