• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early designs for video game protagonists

nillapuddin

Not that it matters because some of yall will defend anything just to oppose someone on the internet. I never said Aloy looked manly, we need some more reading comprehension itt. I said the two females faces I mentioned were seemingly made to look more plain and not as conventionally attractive as their source material.

I used the term "actress" as the key modifier there.

Then,

I said "actor" and said their appearance is usually enhanced in a more "manly" way. By actor I am clearly referring to men

I just dont understand the argument that these designs are "more realistic"

https://mobile.twitter.com/Terak404...female-characters-ugly-in-bizarre-sexism-row/

We have literal side by side comparisons with a real woman. If you can say that the look of the ryder and aloy source materials aren't realistic then what are they, just because someone is above average in appearance its unrealistic?

I dont give a shit what aloy or ryder looks like, their "sex appeal" is irrelevant. I simply said it seems like both of them were purposefully "downgraded". I dont have a reference for Peebee but she was also altered in a less than flattering way in my opinion.

I understand women have graphically (boobs) been pushed too far in the past, but intentionally making them less attractive (which is my opinion based on the evidence) is an odd and swing of the pendulum.

I'm sure every woman and girl in the world had no problem connecting and living through wonder womans story and gal gadot is certainly no potato, but if ryder and aloy were more attractive then its not realistic, it's an odd double standard amongst double standards.

Falchion

I think Aloy has one of the best character designs we've seen in a while. I'm glad we got the final product we did instead of the more cartoonish version.

Also that Crash concept art is wild!

Oberon

Banned
To answer this question, when this occurs:
Video-Game-Protagonists-Brown-Haired-White-Guys.jpg.optimal.jpg

How's Francis York Morgan's face bland?
I guess every white guy with brown hair looks the same

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So at no point did he ever not look terrible. I guess the Jason Statham w/ hair one looked sort of cool I guess
I mean every game character has tons of terrible "wtf were you thinking here?!" types of concept art. Young Dante has always looked like a fuckboi tho sans so at least NT were being consistent.

Not that it matters because some of yall will defend anything just to oppose someone on the internet. I never said Aloy looked manly, we need some more reading comprehension itt. I said the two females faces I mentioned were seemingly made to look more plain and not as conventionally attractive as their source material.
You realize women don't constantly look exactly like they do in photoshoots and tv right? Especially not in the context of scanning a face for a game character:
C3gBe16WEAAOd0p.jpg

I used the term "actress" as the key modifier there.

Then,

I said "actor" and said their appearance is usually enhanced in a more "manly" way. By actor I am clearly referring to men

I just dont understand the argument that these designs are "more realistic"

https://mobile.twitter.com/Terak404...female-characters-ugly-in-bizarre-sexism-row/

We have literal side by side comparisons with a real woman. If you can say that the look of the ryder and aloy source materials aren't realistic then what are they, just because someone is above average in appearance its unrealistic?
Photoshoots are often heavily modified to an absurd degree.

I dont give a shit what aloy or ryder looks like, their "sex appeal" is irrelevant. I simply said it seems like both of them were purposefully "downgraded". I dont have a reference for Peebee but she was also altered in a less than flattering way in my opinion.

I understand women have graphically (boobs) been pushed too far in the past, but intentionally making them less attractive (which is my opinion based on the evidence) is an odd and swing of the pendulum.
It's called making them fit the context of the game world. They aren't "intentionally making them less attractive."

I'm sure every woman and girl in the world had no problem connecting and living through wonder womans story and gal gadot is certainly no potato, but if ryder and aloy were more attractive then its not realistic, it's an odd double standard amongst double standards.
Both are traditionally attractive game characters dude:

The problem with Ryder's model is first and foremost a borked animation system due to troubled development, and ofc she looks different then she did in earlier builds because the game was incredibly iterative with entire scenes being modified and reworked. Coupled a healthy dosage of the uncanny valley. Hell the game isn't even the eye shaders that you linked in that post. You're being ridiculous and btw that twitter account you linked to is at best, insanely egregious...

Kain from Final Fantasy IV:
Dkqvh2th.jpg

The cast of Final Fantasy V:
RjBlirch.jpg

The cast of Final Fantasy VI (notice the extra, male main character in the center, and Strago's wife below):
XKjQvVkh.jpg

Locke from Final Fantasy VI:
uv9LpGVh.jpg

Cloud from Final Fantasy VII:
TnRvrjWh.png

Tidus and Yuna from Final Fantasy X-3:
kkD4nE9h.png
NGexk0Ch.png

Basch from Final Fantasy XII:
iDacz4mh.jpg

Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII (early design on the left, final one on the right):
oabuJfJh.jpg

Noctis from Final Fantasy Versus XIII:
1KuWl9Nh.jpg

Harlequin

Little known fact is that NT at the very start of DmC's development started off desgining Dante with a red coat and the white hair albeit with the modern fuckboi twist
but Capcom told them to push his design away from that so they experimented quite a bit:

tumblr_mm9ecemQ2A1re9fe1o3_1280.jpg

Literally had to F5 your name to find that post my bad.

This one looks positively fuckable:
UR3h1Bp.png

I don't think it necessarily screams Dante but man is he hot. Does anyone know if there's a larger version of that pic :D?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you missed it, but you can't seriously agree with the assessment that the older designs/concept art looked "anorexic"? How is that not the most sexist comment about her in here?
No I don't agree, but they were clearly being hyperbolic to refer to her design being too skinny for the type of warrior Aloy is supposed to be. And lol @ calling this sexist, but not people complaining that new Aloy should be prettier, really

This is pretty mindblowing to me. Evidence? What is your evidence of "intentional downgrade" exactly? Your 100% objective opinion about the attractiveness of the actress/renders? LOL

Turin

Banned
Final design Aloy is far superior. She's a woman of action. Looking like a doll would be completely unsuitable.

Glad we didn't get that, though that might have fit the Jenova connection better. Plus that one reminds me too much of Kefka.

Agreed.

What the fuck lol these look great. Guy on the right is who?

An early version of Auron, presumably. Auron wasn't even meant to
be an Unsent
back then. In the early plot drafts Tidus was an undead, but M. Night Shyamalan's The Sixth Sense came out during development of the game so Square felt they needed to come up with a different plot twist.

...Unless that's some version of Wakka before Blitzball was even conceived :eek:

Kinyou

Nathan Drake also previously known as DUDE RAIDER.Althought I like what we got now, it would have been interesting to see ND continue with their cartoon artstyle.
Young Sam Drake in Uncharted 4 was pretty much a homage to it

VT4M0Li.png

In the big WRPGs I know with relationship systems, you either play as a mostly player-made character making your own decisions (Mass Effect / Dragon Age) or as... basically just Geralt (...The Witcher), where him being a ladies-man is part of his character.

In Horizon, you don't play a self-created character and the story is propelled by Aloy's choices, not your's. Aloy is not pursuing romantic relationships because she is dealing with other stuff right now. She clearly wasn't interested in what romantic interest was shown towards her, at least for now. And that's absolutely fine. That's part of her character.

People should accept that as part of her character and move on instead of obsessing over the inability to force her to love / fuck someone. It absolutely has no place in this entry of this franchise with this character during this story.

To add to that, romance options here would also would also mean that there would be people projecting their own wishes / prejudices onto Aloy. For example: "Aloy is a strong woman, so she must like girls!".

Having players project their own fantasies onto Aloy in this way takes agency away from her as a character.

Is there a place for romantic / sexual relationships in a female-led game? Absolutely! I'd love to see that and see it done well. But I see absolutely no reason to have it in this specific story with this specific character. I think there could be room for romance in the next Horizon, but even then I'd still not see the point in or need for player choice in that.

But I feel like this is going pretty far off-topic for this thread, so I guess we should continue in the thread I saw specifically about this some while ago or via PM if you feel like this merits further discussion.
I can understand that. I was just surprised that you'd put then on the level of " disgusting "

No I don't agree, but they were clearly being hyperbolic to refer to her design being too skinny for the type of warrior Aloy is supposed to be. And lol @ calling this sexist, but not people complaining that new Aloy should be prettier, really

Hyberbolic like the people calling Alloy ugly?

All I'm saying is it's hypocritical to complain about someone saying a character design isn't pretty enough than just brush aside them calling another one anorexic skinny. If you find both problematic sure, but you're trying to interpret the statements differently to defend one and excuse the other, simply based on which side of the argument you personally agree with. Whether someone thinks one design is more masculine than they'd prefer or skinnier than they prefer, I don't think either takes are inherently more sexist than the other.

Dice//

Banned
Shion Uzuki from Xenogears Episode I:
KCLXGn0.png

4fmcxdZ.jpg

It's got more personality than the one we got.

Shion is a weird one in general:
400130-xenosaga_40.jpg

Not sure if I appreciate how authentically dorky and nerdy she looks here (straight up: she looks like someone's aunt) to how it works for the young super-genius who helped make a monster-destroying android and her terrible taste in the men that do fight for her.

Nathan Drake also previously known as DUDE RAIDER.Althought I like what we got now, it would have been interesting to see ND continue with their cartoon artstyle.
uncharted-concepts-02.jpg

Eugh... I feel like the Nathan we got ALMOST didn't skirt that line, but this one is totally it. Yeah no good.

What drugs were the on with the bottom right ideas?

Marcus Fenix and Sheploo went through some changes for the better, imo.

It's like they went with the ugliest Marcus they could design and worked up from there

Eugh... I feel like the Nathan we got ALMOST didn't skirt that line, but this one is totally it. Yeah no good.

It's bizarre. There are plenty of white dudes who don't look like dudebros/douchebags, in fact the vast majority, yet when it comes to video game designs they seem to gravitate towards designs like those, at least on the first pass

Does this topic hold the record for people quoting a huge post with pictures (Horizon one) and then add a few word long reply? REALLY ANNOYING TO SCROLL THROUGH!

Rellik

Also it's kinda uncomfortable to be shaming skinny people :/ Just because someone is fit doesn't mean they have a disorder.

THANK YOU

It's about time someone pointed that out. Anorexic isn't a body type.

Anyway, I also prefer them early designs over what we got.

Tom Nook

Little known fact is that NT at the very start of DmC's development started off desgining Dante with a red coat and the white hair albeit with the modern fuckboi twist
but Capcom told them to push his design away from that so they experimented quite a bit:

tumblr_mgozang7O51rblqwco4_1280.png

A Jason Statham looking Dante? That would be cool.

cordy

Banned
Thank God we got the Aloy we have in the release version compared to the cartoony one in the sketches. It's not bad but the final version looked more realistic and serious I'd say. Makes more sense. Idk the sketches look too Disney for me and given what the game's about nah, I'd dislike that.

Snagret

FFX

1452693172053.jpg

i think there was a dark haired tidus at some point too
I took an ambien like, 30 minutes ago and this whole scene is making me very uncomfortable. These doppelgangers are eveil and shouldn't exist. I feel like I'm going to be pulled into their dimension of I stare at it a bit too long.
r

jett

D-Member

tumblr_mgozang7O51rblqwco4_1280.png

Character concept art has always been awful for this game. I ended up liking the game but I don't know how Capcom stuck with them after seeing their early work.

Top Bottom