• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada: marijuana to be legal by July 1, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?

Switch Back 9

Somebody is easily bothered...

Sorry, all this second-hand pot smoke is making me crazy.

On the real though, this is great news on several levels and reading that guy's comments about how his world is going to end because he might accidentally smell some pot from next door is irritating.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
In 5 years, us 'mericans will enter a Walgreens for some greens. It will be marketed as a healthy alternative to getting wasted on a 12 pack of bud light.

I will rack up points and be well.

Switch Back 9

In 5 years, us 'mericans will enter a Walgreens for some greens. It will be marketed as a healthy alternative to getting wasted on a 12 pack of bud light.

I will rack up points and be well.

I want to see a study where they prove catching a buzz off Bud Light is actually possible.

I am opposed to this measure because [insert paid-for opinion here], and that it'd [insert thinly-veiled lobbying point tainted just so with religious viewpoints], which goes without saying! I mean, what's next? Soon we'll be legalizing [thing that happens in a country we don't like as a slippery slope 'argument'] and then [fear-mongering the racists]. Instead of legalizing weed, maybe try not [offensive stereotype of everyone who partakes in marijuana] and [assumption that everyone who smokes marijuana is jobless].

teh_pwn

I want to see a study where they prove catching a buzz off Bud Light is actually possible.

It's very possible. Drinking for the first time or after weeks. Avoidable thanks to Walgreens brand...Wal-greens, circa future.

teh_pwn

I haven't smoked in months. When I think about it, I miss it.

But when I forget about my coffee, my ADD medication, or a beer at a party my body tells me that I miss it and won't shut the fuck up about it.

That's the difference between psychological and physical addiction.

Oh, Canada...
mounties_cutout_website.gif

Good, as expected. Not too sure about provinces being able to set their own prices though. One of the main points, as told by the liberal party themselves in explaining what they hope to accomplish, is to keep prices low enough to discourage black market sales. Hopefully economically we'll end up with decent prices, but the high price of alcohol in Ontario is not making me feel confident...

mlclmtckr

Banned
I have a feeling this is gonna make things worse here in Toronto. All the existing weed stores will get closed, prices will go up, selection will go down.

I just hope edibles are legal.

Also lol at the smell police. Every time I go outside I have to smell car exhaust and dog shit and people's gross bagged lunches and cheap cologne and cigarettes and dumpsters and all kinds of nasty shit. Weed is like the nicest smell you can encounter in an urban setting.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I live in Seattle, where they sell legal weed on every street corner, and I don't smell this shit. People use edibles or other forms of consumable THC, people vape too - which doesn't always smell. And more often than not, people probably just take their shit home. The one or two occasions where I've ever smelt some skank weed was extremely brief and in passing someone quickly outside. It wasn't because I was sitting down trying to enjoy a cheese croissant somewhere while admiring the free blue sky. This really is a non-issue in my point of view, and a pretty decent trade off if you consider the good legalization could do for your country economically.

Sblargh

Banned
For all my libertarian inclinations, I genuinely love how NeoGAF embraces taxation.
I think it is the consistency. People usually want big government satisfying all their needs, but complain about taxes, therefore blaming those oher people who are not me who are a drain on the system, but not me, what the government spend on me is fine.

This is the right attitude to have when defending government should do stuff:
"Tax me, please!!"

I live in Seattle, where they sell legal weed on every street corner, and I don't smell this shit. People use edibles or other forms of consumable THC, people vape too - which doesn't always smell. And more often than not, people probably just take their shit home. The one or two occasions where I've ever smelt some skank weed was extremely brief and in passing someone quickly outside. It wasn't because I was sitting down trying to enjoy a cheese croissant somewhere while admiring the free blue sky. This really is a non-issue in my point of view, and a pretty decent trade off if you consider the good legalization could do for your country economically.

Has society crumbled and collapsed with manic children murdering their parents?

Sblargh

Banned
People who vote for lower taxes are also the ones who bitch about the government not doing it's job. It's an enigma.

Well, there's the argument that if the government does less, it focus better on the few areas where it is genuinely necessary (all but the most hardcore libertarians here in Brazil defend government should do healthcare, which is one reason why the healthcare debate in America is hilarious. A common argument here is "if the government wasn't trying to extract oil, deliver mail, fund movies and regulate the hell out of the market, it could focus on making public hospitals work better")

Also on this argument, so we don't derail: drug prohibition. A government less worried about trying to destroy a plant might do a better job arresting murderers.

Well, there's the argument that if the government does less, it focus better on the few areas where it is genuinely necessary (all but the most hardcore libertarians here in Brazil defend government should do healthcare, which is one reason why the healthcare debate in America is hilarious. A common argument here is "if the government wasn't trying to extract oil, deliver mail, fund movies and regulate the hell out of the market, it could focus on making public hospitals work better")

Also on this argument, so we don't derail: drug prohibition. A government less worried about trying to destroy a plant might do a better job arresting murderers.

As a proponent of big government myself, I think it should be reasonable to expect the government to explore ventures that provide a service to society, while maintaining safety nets to ensure that all transactions are regulated and standardized to ensure protection of the citizens. Privatization is a race to the bottom, as corporations are only driven by short term goals, while a public power needs an assurance to sustain itself, and promote it's values on democratically valued consensus.

Sblargh

Banned
As a proponent of big government myself, I think it should be reasonable to expect the government to explore ventures that provide a service to society, while maintaining safety nets to ensure that all transactions are regulated and standardized to ensure protection of the citizens. Privatization is a race to the bottom, as corporations are only driven by short term goals, while a public power needs an assurance to sustain itself, and promote it's values on democratically valued consensus.

I agree with a lot of those things and disagree with a lot of others, really don't want to derail the thread.

But as a heads up, I am a lame libertarian, anyway. I strongly believe in the EPA, for example. I am just libertarian enough so the left calls me a fascist, but not libertarian enough to prevent other libertarians from calling me a communist.

XBP

Awesome news. I never plan on smoking but i'm really happy that we're finally getting over the stigma that marijuana is somehow this dangerous thing that'll ruin everything. Make it legal, properly regulate it and enjoy the profits.

Congratulations Canada! Hopefully once the US see how much profit could be made from selling and taxing, they will change their stance on legalization.

Retirement is getting closer everyday.

Move to a more urban and less earthy city.. Just kidding!! DC its legal and smells everywhere. Not that I really care or bothered. It's in apartment hallways, street corners and even driving a car you will catch fumes.

Ive watched people roll up blunts on the metro and have it in mouth ready for exit. Also saw some police jokingly say how strong it smells walking up the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom