• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo full year financial results [23.2B yen loss, 3.6M Wii U/12M 3DS forecast]

impact

Banned
Pretty much confirms they don't have many bombs to drop for Wii U. Hopefully they're working on a new console and handheld already.

It's crazy that coming a year later, PS4 has sold a good amount more than Wii U has shipped.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
People should also note that 270 million was invested in R&D in Q4 as well; hence the more pronounced loss in Q4.

AniHawk

Even 3.6m feels optimistic.

the biggest releases are on the way with a more sustained push (or at least more closely put together one). i think it's somewhat realistic considering this will be the system's peak year.

3ds sales are set to hit 55m overall by the end of the next year. considering their drop in expectations, i don't think a new version of the platform is in order. they must be planning a replacement for the next (2015-2016) fiscal year.

Expected that their forecasts would lower again. 3.6 million Wii Us is absolutely pathetic, and they may not even hit that.

Unless Nintendo has an E3 the level of 50 E3 2010s combined, Iwata's going to be shown the door come June, guaranteed.

Sandfox

Pretty much confirms they don't have many bombs to drop for Wii U. Hopefully they're working on a new console and handheld already.

It's crazy that coming a year later, PS4 has sold a good amount more than Wii U has shipped.

I really doubt they expect much from the Wii U even if they have big titles to announce.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Compared to last year's forecasts, Wii U is quite realistic. 3DS isn't, though, unless they have another restyle happening / price cut (which could well be in the works, but right now...nope).

I think 3DS software sales for this FY were over Nintendo's expectations, right?

EDIT: Yep, they were. Quoting myself from the last thread

Wii U FY 2014 up to Q3 - 2,410,000
Wii U FY 2014 total forecast - 2,800,000

Wii U units to ship in order to reach the forecasted goal - 399,000

Wii U FY 2014 software up to Q3 - 15,960,000
Wii U FY 2014 software total fotecast - 19,000,000

Wii U software units to ship in order to reach the forecasted goal - 3,040,000

3DS FY 2014 up to Q3 - 11,650,000
3DS FY 2014 total forecast - 13,500,000

3DS units to ship in order to reach the forecasted goal - 1,850,000

3DS FY 2014 software up to Q3 - 57,250,000
3DS FY 2014 software total forecast - 66,000,000

3DS software units to ship in order to reach the forecasted goal - 8,750,000

3DS FY 2014 software total - 67,890,000
3DS software units forecasted goal was 66,000,000, so almost 2,000,000 units more.

Eusis

I wonder if they really do have a Wii U successor already lined up? And if it'll be BC or not, sounds like IBM's something of a weak link here unfortunately, though if it's between making better CPUs for game consoles and making things like Watson the latter's kind of a bigger deal.

AniHawk

Lastly, what are they currently on? Because I remember before Christmas a lot of people were predicting 12-15m lifetime for Wii U and I'd like to know where 3.6m this year would get them.

they could hit 9.78m by the end of the fiscal year, which is below the dreamcast but above the saturn. i don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that they could get to the 12-15m mark. although definitely the low end, of course.

JoeM86

I wonder if they really do have a Wii U successor already lined up? And if it'll be BC or not, sounds like IBM's something of a weak link here unfortunately, though if it's between making better CPUs for game consoles and making things like Watson the latter's kind of a bigger deal.

It's way too soon. Yes, the Wii U is selling badly, but rushing out a new console with no support for it, that's not the solution.

Draconian

I'm gonna just have to start ignoring posts in this thread with the words "Pretty much confirms" and "guaranteed" in them aren't I?

Griss

3.6 mil this year would get them to about 10 mil sold. I believe they were just over 6 mil sold a couple months ago.

Huh, I thought that was shipped.

But yeah, if you're right then I'd say that 12-13 mil would be a reasonable estimate - if they can even get to 3.6m this year. And since most of their fans have picked one up (even me, finally) now is when it gets really tough to sell the damn thing. A lot rests on Mario Kart. They need to market the shit out of a Mario Kart bundle this summer and next Christmas. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that it takes off a little bit.

Wii U at 6.17m shipped, forecast of 3.6m for the coming year. Q4 shipment of 0.31m

- Software at 32.28m, forecast of 20m for the coming year

So, they know Wii U is dead and they have no intention of trying to turn it around or save it.

Will be interesting to know if there really is some new hardware on the cards (well, it's inevitable), of the crossover kind.

JoeM86

I'm gonna just have to start ignoring posts in this thread with the words "Pretty much confirms" and "guaranteed" in them aren't I?

Pretty much. That's what I'm doing.

So, they know Wii U is dead and they have no intention of trying to turn it around or save it.

Will be interesting to know if there really is some new hardware on the cards (well, it's inevitable), of the crossover kind.

No, they know it's struggling and that turning it around will not be an easy task. Better to hedge their bets and hopefully exceed them, than set wild projections and fail to meet them again.

12.26 Million Pokemon X/Y (does anyone know how this is tracking compared to other games?)
9.62 Million MK7 (same here)
9.27 SM3DLand
7.82 million NSMB2 (comparison to NSMB?)
7.66 ACNL
3.98 million for Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon (still feels like it came out of nowhere)
3.5 million for Nintendogs+Cats
3.35 OoT 3D
2.51 million for ALBW
2.21 Million Paper Mario Sticker Star
2.08 Mario and Luigi dream Team
1.85 million Tomodachi life

User Tron

If those calculations about them having 6m Wii Us in inventory were correct, then they won't be able to shift even 2/3rds of what they've already made next year. That has to hurt.

Those numbers are purely fictional. Inventories are down 10% since last march.

Eusis

It's way too soon. Yes, the Wii U is selling badly, but rushing out a new console with no support for it, that's not the solution.
I have to expect if anything shows up it'll be sometime next year. This fall's too early, ti's probably enough to just throw out some bigger games before moving on, and it'd give the system at least a 3 year life span.

Striek

Below Q3 operating income/loss forecast even, ouch. They are quite obviously not planning on supporting the Wii U much longer with that forecast either. Things look quite grim at the moment.

12.26 Million Pokemon X/Y (does anyone know how this is tracking compared to other games?)
9.62 Million MK7 (same here)
9.27 SM3DLand
7.82 million NSMB2 (comparison to NSMB?)
7.66 ACNL
3.98 million for Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon (still feels like it came out of nowhere)
3.5 million for Nintendogs+Cats
3.35 OoT 3D
2.51 million for ALBW
2.21 Million Paper Mario Sticker Star
2.08 Mario and Luigi dream Team
1.85 million Tomodachi life

Heart Gold/Soul Silver: 12.72
Black/White: 15.58
Diamond/Pearl: 17:63

Mario Kart DS: 23.56

NSMB: 30.75

Vibranium

Banned
Iwata has to be done at this point.

Argh, that man is so stubborn. I keep hoping he has a plan, but at this I feel he needs to set aside his pride and let someone new take the reins (who hopefully doesn't have serious plans for mobile though). We keep saying he's done but really, who knows?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
In retrospect, the original Wii may have been the worst thing to ever happen to Nintendo. Their focus on chasing the next big gimmick and having an underpowered console has bit them in the ass.

AniHawk

Iwata has to be done at this point.

well tomorrow's the lightning round where the score can really change. we'll see what the plans are for the qol platform and the new hardware for handheld and console gaming.

i think iwata's stacked it so he's in a fair bit of power through the end of march 2017. this will be the worst fiscal year so far, with r&d costs high and revenue low, but qol is supposed to come out in the 2015-2016 fiscal year. if that doesn't take off then it's up to the next handheld/console which should launch partly in that fiscal year or some time in the next.

the big problem would be if the new console and handheld are obvious whiffs (the console in particular i mean the wii u just boggles the mind in almost every way), then it won't matter if a new guy is in charge because it'll be way too late to right that ship.

Zalman

In retrospect, the original Wii may have been the worst thing to ever happen to Nintendo. Their focus on chasing the next big gimmick and having an underpowered console has bit them in the ass.
The Wii was the best thing to happen to them. The Wii U was the worst thing.

Taker666

The Wii U sales projections make me assume they are not intending to give its key games much of a marketing budget or give the hardware a price cut. Still at least they are realistic and they aren't projecting silly numbers.

It reminds of the Gamecube/GBA era marketing wise..everything stripped back to a minimum in the hopes core Nintendo fans will keep them ticking over just enough to profit.

Griss

It probably depends on what he says later today and what he has lined up to try and convince everyone to let him see out what he mentioned a few months back.

There's nothing he can say to hide the fact that the Wii U is a complete failure of a product, designed and released on his watch.

We all know how both tech and entertainment products work - if a product isn't a success within it's first year and a half then it's very unlikely to ever gain momentum and become a success. The Wii U is what it is, and it's not pretty. Iwata can't whitewash this, not now that the investors have the hard data.

Rough times for him, and that's why he's distracting everyone with his 'Shangri-La meets El Dorado' Qwol stuff.

Huh the only thing that surprised me here is their reasonable expectation, it's good to start thinking properly Nintendo.

Sandfox

Huh
Think Pokemon might actually be tracking favorably when comparing the install bases, not entirely sure

X and Y are probably going to end up with higher sales than Black and White at least given that those numbers are from more than a two after release.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Almost everyone said Wii U is dead since January 2013 and now some people are acting all surprised that they have a low forecast for next year? Finally they are being realistic in their predictions.

And this doesn't say anything about what games will or will not be on Wii U, as anyhow their biggest hitters (SSB and MK) will be out this year. No other game (even Zelda doesn't have the same system seller power) will push the sales more than those two.

HUELEN10

Holy fuck...
9vj6VEN.png

Does this mean that Super Mario 3D world is the only retail game on Wii U to hit over a million units that wasn't ever a pack-in or bundled?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
People should also note that 270 million was invested in R&D in Q4 as well; hence the more pronounced loss in Q4.

This should be put in the OP.

I'm also working on updating more that old post of mine I requoted, in order to highlight the other (negative) differencies.

Top Bottom