• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Barge-Size Noah’s Ark Is a Creationist’s Wet Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
I am not religious by any means... but I do find it rather funny how many people trash people or talk shit about a person's views.
If these people want to build the ark or have services there... who really gives a fuck? Why bash them or make fun of them for their beliefs?

Because it's being taught to kids as being fact...

Ahasverus

The problem is, it's textually difficult to not believe in a verbal plenary, literal interpretation of the Bible. 2 Timothy 3:16 (All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:). The Bible is pretty clear on things that are presented allegorically and things that are not.
The pope doesn't agree with you.

I am not religious by any means... but I do find it rather funny how many people trash people or talk shit about a person's views.
If these people want to build the ark or have services there... who really gives a fuck? Why bash them or make fun of them for their beliefs?

Welcome to GAF. Some here are just jerks about religion, such is life.

They are getting a tax break for this.

I think in the states most of the preachers/ churches do get tax breaks and no doubt people abuse it....

However, I just don't understand why people just cant let other people have their views when it comes to this type of stuff.

Its like the first thing to do is verbally assault anybody that believes in God or the afterlife. I had a friend that was atheist and he spent more time trying to convince everyone that his views were right instead of just accepting people for who they are and their views... Its like he came off more hateful when he claimed it was the opposite.

Kreed

As a Jehovah's witnesses and pretty hard core gamer that thinks gag is the best gaming forum there is I smirk when people seethe when some biblical comes up .Satan really has people in a daze.. well on to armaggeddon.

Is that slang for "time to hand out Bibles door to door"?

The irony here is that I bet there were more than a few contractors who worked on that thing that probably haven't seen the inside of a church in years, nevermind believing the earth is 6,000 years old.

navco79

Banned
As a Jehovah's witness, should you be smirking and reveling on other people being compelled by Satan, though?
When I read this thread I smirked that's all every one can live and do what they want as I look at the rising world violence chaos and Morality of mankind at the moment I no how it's going to end.I meant no disrespect with the smirk.

Idk, probably the same gut reaction that makes you want to correct a person when they say dogs can give birth to cats. Or that handholding can lead to pregnancy.

Because it's being taught to kids as being fact...

Is it? Most schools where I am at have taken religion out of school pretty much completely. I always thought that you learn what your parents practice until you are old enough to make your own decisions. I am fine with people believing whatever they want as long as they don't push views on me.

Dalek

When I read this thread I smirked that's all every one can live and do what they want as I look at the rising world violence chaos and Morality of mankind at the moment I no how it's going to end.I meant no disrespect with the smirk.

k59IepB.gif

Is English your native language?

I'm guessing no?

The story could have happened in some capacity, many theologists believe that the Black Sea, as we know it today, is the result of the Biblical Flood, that Bosporus and Dardanelles broke during a particularly violent storms and the mediterranean Sea flooded the area.

Sure, definitely. There's enough evidence in tons of mythology to suggest that regional flooding was a thing. "Gilgamesh" talks about a flood, and pre-dates Genesis. So there's no issue with that.

The issue is, though, if one believes in a verbal, plenary literal interpretation of the Bible, regional flooding won't cut it. It contradicts things that Jesus said, as well as passages in Isaiah.

Izuna

Banned

Mom, stop posting.

Us finding a boat filled with dinosaurs funny is not going to end the world.

Is it? Most schools where I am at have taken religion out of school pretty much completely. I always thought that you learn what your parents practice until you are old enough to make your own decisions. I am fine with people believing whatever they want as long as they don't push views on me.

I don't think you understand how religious parents are most of the time. And yeah, it's very common (at least when I was a kid, and I'm 23) for stuff like this to be taught as fact or simply "how things are" untainted without any disclaimers. No one would logically believe the bible if it weren't shoved in their face growing up. Unless I don't know, maybe I'm just one of the people who haven't seen the light.

Anyway it's obvious I'm not particularly religious, no use in continuing

We shouldn't be asked to respect these beliefs, nor any other belief that can be distilled to the enthusiastic lunacy on display in these captures. I'll tolerate your wild imagination, like I would if someone explained to me we're all made from clay mud, but you try to change a textbook or challenge established scientific literature then your voice deserves to be funneled through an "ignore" and "ridicule" filter.

mcz117chief

The pope doesn't agree with you.

Pope is a Catholic with years of thelogical studies under his belt and I can tell you for a fact that he doesn't interpret every word in the Bible literally.

Sure, definitely. There's enough evidence in tons of mythology to suggest that regional flooding was a thing. "Gilgamesh" talks about a flood, and pre-dates Genesis. So there's no issue with that.

The issue is, though, if one believes in a verbal, plenary literal interpretation of the Bible, regional flooding won't cut it. It contradicts things that Jesus said, as well as passages in Isaiah.

It contradicts him in a factual sense (since he was just taught the Jewish doctrine) but not when it comes to salvation and redemption.

Ahasverus

And YOU will be saved, YOU and ONLY YOUR PEOPLE, rejoice I say, rejoice and laugh at us! Poor condemned, unloved souls. If only there was a loving god who didn't want our eternal suffering, an omnipotent being able to erease all darkness from the creation at his whim. If only.

Btw, the devil doesn't exist in the bible. Good day.

Pope is a Catholic with years of thelogical studies under his belt and I can tell you for a fact that he doesn't interpret every word in the Bible literally.
Exactly. That has been the Catholic interpretation since Pius XII I think.

I think in the states most of the preachers/ churches do get tax breaks and no doubt people abuse it....

However, I just don't understand why people just cant let other people have their views when it comes to this type of stuff.

Its like the first thing to do is verbally assault anybody that believes in God or the afterlife. I had a friend that was atheist and he spent more time trying to convince everyone that his views were right instead of just accepting people for who they are and their views... Its like he came off more hateful when he claimed it was the opposite.

Holy shit dude.

Not buying into Young Earth Creationism isn't the same as bashing belief in deities.

A 6000 year old Earth runs contrary to the evidence from multiple scientific branches. It doesn't magically deserve respect just because you say so. I wouldn't respect the belief that eating nothing but Doritos is healthy.

Mahonay

Banned
Welcome to GAF. Some here are just jerks about religion, such is life.
I'm a jerk for being concerned that a ridiculous monument to absolute ignorance is getting a huge tax break? Or that this is being presented as truth to young children? Alright then.

I know plenty of religious people that are not willfully ignorant. You can have faith, while being intelligent about accepted facts and science at the same time.

Hollycat

Yeah, Im not going to respect a system of beliefs that led to my family kicking me out and dishoning me for how I was born.

It's cost 100million to make this replica but somehow Noah was able to make it back then with limited resources....

Come one guys, people seriously believe this interpretation of the story?

So the Dinosaurs were on the ark but they went extinct regardless. Noah did eat the Dinosaurs, didn't he?

I assume the dinosaur exhibit was more to illustrate their thoughts on the whole dinosaur thing, rather than to state that they were present on the ark (and OP even says they say they were killed by the flood).

explodet

Well the 300 cubit size seems to check out, but if they really wanted to prove the story, they should have had just one guy build the entire thing by hand.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Adam and Eve isn't meant to be taken literally now?

In my Primary School it was taught in assembly as being pretty damn literal.

What is the non-literal version of Adam and Eve?

Its a story about God creating humans from part of Himself and how people are inherently selfish.

Teaching children creationist bullshit is child abuse.

Lets not be ridiculous here.

You can be a very successful and mentally well adjusted while believing in YEC.

To equate this to actual child abuse diminishes the horror of real abuse.

Its a story about God creating humans from part of Himself and how people are inherently selfish.

People are also inherently selfless. You see both behaviors in young children.

But that's the result of evolutionary forces which were outside of our control.

Measley

I assume the dinosaur exhibit was more to illustrate their thoughts on the whole dinosaur thing, rather than to state that they were present on the ark (and OP even says they say they were killed by the flood).

So how did Ithyosaurs, Plesiosaurs, and Mosasaurs become extinct?

Izuna

Banned

It wasn't about selfishness, was it? Eve was tricked by the devil posing as a snake. It's a story about peer-pressure.

--

Honestly, if you're not supposed to take the bible literally (especially the very fucked up parts), why not just remove them since far too many people seem to miss the part that they're just stories.

--

But what I really want to know is that Noah's Ark is supposed to be a story about, if not taken literally.

Measley

Lets not be ridiculous here.

You can be a very successful and mentally well adjusted while believing in YEC.

To equate this to actual child abuse diminishes the horror of real abuse.

You think someone who blindly ignores science, facts, and common sense is "mentally well adjusted"?

You think someone who blindly ignores science, facts, and common sense is "mentally well adjusted"?

Yes they certainly can be. Some even have happy marriages with children and jobs they love!!!!

Have you ever actually interacted with a religious person in your life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom