• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo full year financial results [23.2B yen loss, 3.6M Wii U/12M 3DS forecast]

MarkusRJR

3.6 million seems realistic considering this is going to be the peak year for the system. Disappointing but realistic.

I'm confused by the 3DS forecast though. Seems a little too high considering the 3DS's big hits all came out last year. By comparison this year looks kind of bleh. Hopefully this means there are some awesome announcements coming at E3 (new 3DS lite revision?) rather than Nintendo's forecasts being way off like their older Wii U ones.

There's nothing he can say to hide the fact that the Wii U is a complete failure of a product, designed and released on his watch.

We all know how both tech and entertainment products work - if a product isn't a success within it's first year and a half then it's very unlikely to ever gain momentum and become a success. The Wii U is what it is, and it's not pretty. Iwata can't whitewash this, not now that the investors have the hard data.

Rough times for him, and that's why he's distracting everyone with his 'Shangri-La meets El Dorado' Qwol stuff.
IIRC didn't Iwata say something about knowing the GCN was dead system and that priority should move to the next one (this being said in retrospective during the Wii boom)? I can't imagine the feeling of knowing their system that had ton of time to prep (Wii was basically having game droughts constantly by 2010) failing this badly. In the GCN's case he had the excuse of the prior CEO's decisions, but now it's all on him. Must really suck. I can't help but think he's continuing his GCN line of thinking and pushing resources towards the next system rather than the current one.

All this makes me more curious about their next system (in both concept and availability).

E-phonk

Banned
oh i just saw the part where they're forecasting a $400,000,000 operating income, and $200,000,000 net income

...well, i don't really see how they do this when they had seemingly better opportunities in the past, but... okay. at least their expectations seem realistic for hardware this year so maybe that has been taken into account, with no further price drops or surprise costs expected.

NFC - HD ports - other low investments with high returns?

Am I reading it right?

They plan to launch Nintendo DS games in the Wii U eshop?
Was announced at the previous investors meeting Q&A

Hanmik

By providing software that takes advantage of the “Wii U GamePad,” utilizing its built-in functionality as an NFC reader/writer, and adding “Nintendo DS” Virtual Console titles to the “Wii U” software lineup, Nintendo will seek to enrich the value of the “Wii U GamePad,” the most important differentiator of “Wii U,” and as a result expand the sales of the “Wii U” platform.

so the best they can do with the gamepad is old DS games..? I like my Wii-U, but that gamepad seems more and more like an afterthought.

Neff

They're sensibly aiming low this time so they can look good if they hit over, which is at least possible with these figures.

AniHawk

also, the ds is now full-on dead, with now software or hardware forecast for the next fiscal year. its final resting place: 153.99m units of hardware, 943.98m units of software. meanwhile, they plan to sell an additional 500,000 wiis and 9m games for the wii this fiscal year. so... the wii is scheduled to sell about half what they plan to sell on the wii u, in 2014.

They sure are injecting a LOT of $$ into R&D.

Grim times for Nintendo but sure hope whatever they do next isn't another WiiU. Also, is Ocarina of Time 3D the best selling remake that isn't Pokemon?

JoeM86

Even taking that into account, over half of it was already gone beforehand from when the article in june 2012.

http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-doomed-not-likely-just-take-look-how-much-money-its-got-bank/

Don't forget at how much the yen has fluctuated.

Seriously, read WHY it's down, don't just complain that it's down. It is down because Nintendo have been expanding

The ending balance of “Cash and cash equivalents” (collectively, “Cash”) as of March 31, 2014 was 341.2 billion yen, with a decrease of 128.1 billion yen during the fiscal year. During the previous fiscal year, there
was an increase of 62.2 billion yen. Net increase (decrease) of Cash and contributing factors during the fiscal year ended March 31, 2014 are as follows:
While there were increasing factors from settlements of notes and accounts receivable-trade, due to a decrease of notes and accounts payable-trade, net cash resulted in a decrease of 23.1 billion yen compared to
a decrease of 40.3 billion yen last year.

Net cash from investing activities decreased by 20.0 billion yen compared to an increase of 89.1 billion yen last year mainly due to purchases of property, plant and equipment as well as intangible assets pertaining to the construction of the Development Center.

Net cash from financing activities decreased by 127.1 billion yen compared to a decrease of 12.8 billion yen last year mainly due to the acquisition of treasury stock

Basically, it's down because of expansion and the buyback. If it wasn't for the damned buyback, we wouldn't have this situation. We knew it was coming.

X and Y are probably going to end up with higher sales than Black and White at least given that those numbers are from more than a two after release.

Oh, thought those numbers were from a similar timeframe

Can anyone give the X/Y numbes when compared to other Pokemon games in their first 6-7 months

zhao3gold

Banned
Honestly, I don't think there is a chance that Wii U can catch the LTD sales of NGC. Wii U will be the worst selling console from Nintendo (if don't count VB).

Evenflow

Mario 3D World sales are pretty impressive. More than 1/3 of the install base in 4 months. Think this should mean it's the best selling non bundled next gen game so far... and hopefully I never have to read Knack outsold Mario again haha.

LOCK

Not as horrible as expected.

I'm surprised by Nintendo's realism and lack of optimism.

I think the Will U could do better and the 3DS worse than those forecast. Maybe they are excluding revisions from the forecast? Interesting. Going by Nintendo's recent history, they will probably release some sort of handheld this year, revision or new.

Taker666

Honest question, is the Wii Party franchise selling better than Mario Party? Really wondering why they swapped to that. You'd think Mario would have more selling power.

I never understood why they dropped that, it was always a good sales booster in Japan. It seemed to be a yearly release they could count on for a while. It never made sense to move it to the DS/3DS as it really was their big multiplayer party game.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wii U Unit Sales (Unit: Million)

Code:
Code:
Hardware       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2012/13       -        -      3.06     0.39      3.45     3.45

FY 2013/14     0.16     0.30     1.95      0.31        2.72     6.17

Software       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2012/13       -        -      11.69    1.73      13.42    13.42   

FY 2013/14     1.03     5.27      9.66      2.9       18.86    32.28

3DS Unit Sales (Unit: Million)

Code:
Code:
Hardware       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2010/11       -        -        -      3.61      3.61     3.61

FY 2011/12     0.71     2.36      8.36    2.10      13.53    17.13       

FY 2012/13     1.86     3.20      7.65    1.24      13.95    31.09

FY 2013/14     1.40     2.49      7.76        0.59     11.65    43.33

Software       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2010/11      -        -         -      9.43      9.43     9.43

FY 2011/12     4.53     3.60     19.91    7.96      36.00    45.42    

FY 2012/13     7.39     11.64    20.53    10.05     49.61    95.03

FY 2013/14     11.01    16.37    29.87      10.64       67.89    162.92

Phanservice

Neo Member
I don't get this...patcher and nintendo fans before talked about how nintendo has so much money they they can afford to have failed consoles for decades. However, their cash pile has dropped so much in only one generation which isn't even near over yet. Obviously they are using a lot of the money on R&D and investing in their new health division...but still was all that talk baloney? Sorry for typos and broken grammer....typing this from a phone while studying for exam aha.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
oh i just saw the part where they're forecasting a $400,000,000 operating income, and $200,000,000 net income

...well, i don't really see how they do this when they had seemingly better opportunities in the past, but... okay. at least their expectations seem realistic for hardware this year so maybe that has been taken into account, with no further price drops or surprise costs expected.

Nintendo is being extremely conservative indeed with their hardware and software sales at the exception of 3DS HW for FY15.

Nintendo should be able to achieve the above results. Furthermore, I'm also anticipating Q1 Wii U hardware shipments to be between 700-800k as well; a good beginning for the year on the back of Mario Kart 8.

Analysts on average expect the following: Nintendo will book an operating profit of Y29.58 billion for the current fiscal year ending March 2015.

Interesting tidbit - Download sales:

Year ended March 31, 2013: 16.4 billion yen
Year ended March 31, 2014: 24.0 billion yen

Increase of 8.4 Billion yen (84 million US)

JoeM86

I don't get this...patcher and nintendo fans before talked about how nintendo has so much money they they can afford to have failed consoles for decades. However, their cash pile has dropped so much in only one generation which isn't even near over yet. Obviously they are using a lot of the money on R&D and investing in their new health division...but still was all that talk baloney? Sorry for typos and broken grammer....typing this from a phone while studying for exam aha.

They didn't drop all their money on investing in the health division, and no that talk isn't "baloney". See my previous post.

Sandfox

They sure are injecting a LOT of $$ into R&D.

Grim times for Nintendo but sure hope whatever they do next isn't another WiiU. Also, is Ocarina of Time 3D the best selling remake that isn't Pokemon?
I like that they are spending a lot of money into R&D and hopefully its going into fixes their weaknesses like Iwata hinted at.
please tell me what upcoming games "take advantage" of the gamepad... ?

That's exactly what Nintendo said they would be focusing on with future Wii U SW.

Holy fuck...
9vj6VEN.png

Does this mean that Super Mario 3D world is the only retail game on Wii U to hit over a million units that wasn't ever a pack-in or bundled?

Pretty sure NSMB passed 2 or 3 million before getting bundled

BKK

NDS dead, won't pass PS2. Wii forecast 500k, won't pass PS1.

Code:
    0314 0314LTD 0315(FC) 0315LTD(FC)
3DS 590k  43.33m 12m       55.33m
WiU 310k   6.17m 3.6m       9.77m
Wii 160k 101.06m 0.5m     101.56m
NDS  10k 153.99m ----     153.99m

catmario

Oh man, Nintendo should get out that situation.

This is totally bad. Even Nintendo's cash is disappearing. :(

What will save nintendo?

these things are cyclical.
its only a few hundred million lost.
they got billions tucked away.

That not why Iwata is paid the big bucks. The company itself will not go anywhere, but Iwata might. His job is in real danger, investors are fed up with his bullshit.

GCX

Their realistic estimates and big R&D spending indicate that they don't have much hope for the current consoles to bring money in so they're investing a lot to something new to fix the course (probably the QOL thing).

JoeM86

What will save nintendo?

Nintendo's cash disappeared because of a one time expense of $1bn to buyback Yamauchi's shares. If it wasn't for that, we wouldn't be discussing the warchest depletion.

Duxxy3

NDS dead, Wii forecast 500k.

Code:
    0314 0314LTD 0315(FC) 0315LTD(FC)
3DS 590k  43.33m 12m       55.33m
WiU 310k   6.17m 3.6m       9.77m
Wii 160k 101.06m 0.5m     101.56m
NDS  10k 153.99m ----     153.99m

DS would still be selling, but they stopped making it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nintendo is being extremely conservative indeed with their hardware and software sales at the exception of 3DS HW for FY15.

Nintendo should be able to achieve the above results. Furthermore, I'm also anticipating Q1 Wii U hardware shipments to be between 700-800k as well; a good beginning for the year on the back of Mario Kart 8.

Analysts on average expect the following: Nintendo will book an operating profit of Y29.58 billion for the current fiscal year ending March 2015.

Interesting tidbit - Download sales:

Year ended March 31, 2013: 16.4 billion yen
Year ended March 31, 2014: 24.0 billion yen

Increase of 8.4 Billion yen (84 million US)

So that's why

Moreover, Nintendo will also strive to proactively pursue its digital distribution business
through the “Nintendo eShop.”

HUELEN10

Pretty sure NSMB passed 2 or 3 million before getting bundled
I don't know if it makes that much of a difference or even counts, but most Old Navys for 2012 Black Friday got 50 copies each to give away (that's how I got mine), and there are over 900 in the states, so a little less than 50k were just given away on that day. Just another thought.

Now, what I can't find on the webpage is if those numbers include eShop downloads. i assume they do.

Jintor

So are they betting on the NFC? I saw a mention of it in the press release. Seems like that at least would use the gamepad for... for something

Sandfox

What will save nintendo?

Given that they probably won't have to spend as much money as they did on the Yamauchi shares every year they just need to properly invest in R&D, learn from what went wrong with the Wii U and come up with HW that will make them a profit even if it ends up not being as successful as other products on the market.

Top Bottom