• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos' "Free Speech Week" At Berkeley Falls Apart, Organizers Say

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
5 min of fame is up. thank god, guy was never worth caring about, im glad most people agree now

Shaneus

Liking a tweet and showing your face in civilization (with attendant repercussions and consequences) are two different things. especially for teenagers whose entire political ambition is that they just really want the right to yell the n-word.
Shoulda clicked the link.

Cyan

Banned
The Atlantic has a indepth piece

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...-berkeley-free-speech-week-fell-apart/540867/

Sounds like they were tossing shit out there, and no actual organization went on.

Hmm.

The Atlantic said:
Some critics have suspected Yiannopoulos of never intending to hold the event in the first place, though Mike Cernovich, the right-wing activist and Twitter personality who was scheduled to speak on September 27, said he doesn't believe this is the case.

”I believe Milo sincerely wanted Free Speech Week to happen because he approached me months ago to be involved," Cernovich said. ”I had a family visit planned, and he expressed some disappointment. This wouldn't have made sense if he hadn't expected the week to go as planned. Thus I don't buy into the theory that he never wanted Free Speech Week to happen."

http://www.dailycal.org/2017/09/14/full-speaker-list-released-free-speech-week-uc-berkeley/
Daily Cal said:
Milo Yiannopoulos confirmed Thursday a full list of speakers scheduled to appear at UC Berkeley during ”Free Speech Week" from Sept. 24-27.

Sept. 27: ”Mario Savio is Dead"

Mike Cernovich
Charles Murray
Ariana Rowlands
Stelion Onufrei
Alex Marlow
Milo Yiannopoulos
Steve Bannon
Ann Coulter

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

cameron

WaPo: Coulter says she assumes “Free Speech Week” at UC-Berkeley is canceled. Milo Yiannopoulos says it’s on.
Conservative commentator Ann Coulter said Friday she assumes the “Free Speech Week” at the University of California at Berkeley has been canceled, because she never got a contract from her agent. She said by email she was told that Berkeley administrators were dead-set on blocking the event “and pulled all the usual tricks.”

The planned four-day event bringing conservative and provocative speakers to the public university campus has been closely watched because of repeated violent clashes in Berkeley this year, with extremists on the left and the right battling over free speech and hate speech.

Coulter said UC-Berkeley administrators “have made perfectly clear that they think leftist ideas are so fragile and indefensible, that they can allow NO OTHER VIEWPOINTS to be heard on campus. I wasn’t especially interested in giving them a second chance to redeem their reputation, but having been given the chance, they failed.”

But Milo Yiannopoulos, the firebrand writer who has been promising to return to campus since he was invited by the student group, said by email that “Free Speech Week” was happening, starting with a rally Sunday. “FSW IS PROCEEDING FOR THE 4 DAYS NO MATTER WHAT,” he wrote.
University spokesman Dan Mogulof said that after many missed deadlines by members of the Berkeley Patriot, the group that invited speakers to the event, they suddenly canceled Tuesday the only indoor venue they had been able to secure. University officials haven’t been able to reach the students since Tuesday, he said. Still, the Bay Area school is continuing with its extensive security planning.

“We’re proceeding as if that schedule is real — we have no choice.

“If in fact any of these speakers actually intend to come, we will be more than ready to provide security,” Mogulof said. “We are in process of spending what will be more than a million dollars. Those actions speak louder than words.”

This "rally" was just to troll and get a reaction after the last Milo speech attempt at Berkley. Thought they could rile people up more with this and then put the blame for it not happening on the left.

If they planned to go through with it they would have done the basic minimum requirements for booking the space.

fauxtrot

Banned
My partner will be pretty happy if this whole thing falls apart, seeing that she takes the bus to and from UC Berkeley... the night that Ben Shapiro recently spoke there, police from all over the county were on campus and had barricaded 4-5 blocks around the front half of the school (likely to keep cars away from any protestors after Charlottesville), which meant she had to walk quite a ways off campus alone in the dark to a makeshift bus-stop to get home.

In anticipation of the same barricades being erected next week, people from her evening classes were organizing groups so no one had to walk to their cars/bus-stops alone while a bunch of alt-right goons roamed around the campus, and one of the women putting this together was doxxed last week.

Fuck Milo and the Berkeley Patriots.

legacyzero

Banned
Hard to find a gig after you've been exposed for being a pedo-apologist. By fucking TJ Kirk nonetheless 😂😂😂

Persona7

Banned
Which is it? Bumbling idiots failing to follow normal protocol or interference by the administration with bizarre requirements with strict deadlines?

Miletius

I received this message in the morning, addressed to all students:

The student organization Berkeley Patriot has indicated through its outside legal counsel that they have canceled all events due to take place from Sept. 24-27.

The situation is evolving and we will continue to provide information on our update website, especially about campus security measures. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

So I guess it really is dead? The campus bent over backwards to accommodate them, they even allowed them to use outdoor venues (Lower Sprowl) when they missed the deadline to sign up for indoor locales. As of last week the list of speakers had way more unconfirmed than confirmed speakers, which speaks to the disorganization of Berkeley Patriots more than anything.

Paying an arm and a leg for security when none of this is going to materialize is really going to leave a sour taste in admin's mouth. Naturally right wing media is going to try to blame the University for bureaucratizing the event to death, but the evidence doesn't show that is what happened in the slightest.

So I guess it really is dead? The campus bent over backwards to accommodate them, they even allowed them to use outdoor venues (Lower Sprowl) when they missed the deadline to sign up for indoor locales. As of last week the list of speakers had way more unconfirmed than confirmed speakers, which speaks to the disorganization of Berkeley Patriots more than anything.

Paying an arm and a leg for security when none of this is going to materialize is really going to leave a sour taste in admin's mouth. Naturally right wing media is going to try to blame the University for bureaucratizing the event to death, but the evidence doesn't show that is what happened in the slightest.

A recent episode of On The Media made it clear that Milo gained the fringe benefit (if not orchestrating this entire fuck up) of already getting to blame the school itself for trying to deny and silence him and the event itself. And it'll be eaten up by his followers and every other alt-righter. Hell, I bet even that idiotic grouping of Berkeley Patriots that set up this whole thing will be spinning that tale too. And what do you know, they already are.

FyreWulff

Well the Berkeley Patriot, by their account, hasn't exactly been treated fairly by the university. From their account, they tried to follow protocol, but the university wasn't following up with them. That's the take away from the following video for those of you who refuse to give videos on milo's youtube channel views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn5Xgak1zzA

They probably should stop being a reverse proxy, then.

Lol

Gotta organize those hate rallies through the proper channels, young republicans!

cameron

NYT: Milo Yiannopoulos Still Plans to Speak at Berkeley After Event Is Canceled
After learning of the cancellation, Mr. Yiannopoulos said he would be at the university’s Sproul Plaza at noon on Sunday along with Mr. Cernovich, Ms. Geller and others.

“I was somewhat blindsided by the announcement from the Berkeley Patriot this morning,” he said at a news conference on Saturday. “We are going to be hosting an event, come hell or high water,” he added.

Mr. Yiannopoulos said that the police were aware of his plans and would enforce security, but a university spokesman said campus police had not been in touch with Mr. Yiannopoulos. Sgt. Andrew Frankel, a spokesman for the Berkeley Police Department, said city police had not been contact with him either.

Rootbeer

Banned
Live stream from Tim Pool outside the event. It starts in one hour. Getting heated already.

There is a SHITLOAD of police there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGKBHNbLoSI

I know Tim is controversial, he claims to be liberal but goes out of his way to defend shitty behavior on the right and consistently is more critical of groups like antifa than white supremacist groups. But his livestreams provide a good overview of things on the ground.

Rootbeer

Banned
Alright. Been watching the stream in-between other things. Looks like Milo showed up and spoke on the steps to about 100 or 200 people on the steps (not inside, since it was cancelled), whole thing was about 20 minutes. He just left now.

More protesters and police than people attending the speech from what I can see in the videos.

Top Bottom