• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 3 - Brothers, Bridge, and Backstabbing in 2010 Minnesota - Wed on FX

nolips

I'm greatly enjoying this season. Fargo, Leftovers, and Better Call Saul are phenomenal right now.

Couldn't agree more. Toss in Twin Peaks, American Gods and Silicon Valley and we're talking one of the best seasons in recent memory.

I know that these guys like to fuck with people's heads, but where in the hell did Meemo get (or even know to get) an identical suit to the IRS lawyer with an identical suitcase with identical notepads and pens and copy his exact mannerisms in such short notice and did they really spend who knows how much money just to troll him?

Edit: The suit looks a little large on Meemo on second viewing. Maybe he stole it from the IRS dude?

This is he show where a UFO drops by and fish rain from the sky. Just go with it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yep. Carrie Coon is a great actress but the character she's playing is nothing special at all. She's being wasted.

I hope they do more with her in the back half of the season. I'm glad we got that L.A. episode, because otherwise she hasn't gotten to do that much. Few moments here and there but this is Carrie Frickin Coon, let her loose!

Drencrom

I'm not sure if I'm really liking this season sadly.

It's fantastic at places and got the classic Fargo shenanigans and what not, but I'm really not getting where this season is going. There is no real mystery, "conspiracy" and most characters just come of as unnaturally dumb (even for Fargo). I mean even Vargas, the supposedly mastermind-ish antagonist isn't that cunning or interesting to me besides his eating disorder really, his confrontation with the police was surprisingly buffoonish and suspicious for a guy that apparently doesn't want to stick out and keep things on the down-low. Things could change when his motive is clearer I guess, but he's easily the weakest "villain" in Fargo so far.

Raymond's death was really brutal tho and sadly kinda anticlimactic for my taste as he was my fave character this season and the more interesting brother. Both Ray and Emmit are fools sure, but Emmit is just such a flat, goody two shoes and nondescript kinda guy in comparison. Kinda makes me sad that they didn't give Ewan MacGregor a much more potent and charismatic kinda character to play this season as that would play to his strength as an actor more in my opinion.

The fact that it's been 6 out of 10 episodes now and I'm still not sure what's going on and why the policewoman character is even relevant to this story besides the initial murder of the Ennis Stussy is pretty bad imo.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm not sure if I'm really liking this season sadly.

It's fantastic at places and got the classic Fargo shenanigans and what not, but I'm really not getting where this season is going. There is no real mystery, "conspiracy" and most characters just come of as unnaturally dumb (even for Fargo). I mean even Vargas, the supposedly mastermind-ish antagonist isn't that cunning or interesting to me besides his eating disorder really, his confrontation with the police was surprisingly buffoonish and suspicious for a guy that apparently doesn't want to stick out and keep things on the down-low. Things could change when his motive is clearer I guess, but he's easily the weakest "villain" in Fargo so far.

Yeah he was about as subtle as a rock in that police scene. I agree that his threat seems to be whittling down per episde.

Also I found it weird that the police duo didn't push him more on his identity. He said 'you'll know at the right time' and they just brushed that off. He was trying to be as suspicious as possible there. They're getting to the bottom of this, but somehow they didn't push this on the spot.

I never expected something nearing s2 in quality, but this is a far cry from both seasons. It's still okay and I'm looking forward to how it wraps up, but I wouldn't mind if this was the last season either.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This is he show where a UFO drops by and fish rain from the sky. Just go with it.

Fish raining from the sky is a thing that happens irl though.

Ending it after this season would be fine for me. 3 seasons is a good run for a show like this.

Agreed. Given the anthology nature of the series, Fargo could last any number of seasons, but if Hawley is running out of ideas maybe it's better if he ends it sooner rather than later.

I wonder if they only did that scene in that way to subvert expectations. I was expecting the gun to come into play. A classic pull the gun on him, leading to struggle, and accidental homicide. Instead we got the glass death. It was the same, more or less, but done in a weird way intentionally. I actually respect that scene. I have several issues with the season so far, but honestly, that's not one of them.

Saty

I mean, this is the best season by virtue of not having incredibly dumb characters and asinine plotting but it's not like i'm watching, thinking to myself 'this is so good'. Fargo never was. It has all the elements of a top tier tv series excluding the actual 'content' itself.

Never understood the vibe of this show or what it was trying to get across with its many peculiarities. Though they are very clear this season about their story of mistaken identities, mixing-ups, random complications and escalation by coincidences. Ray's death was stupid and possibly too early.

I feel like people are saying this because they like Carrie Coon, she's fine in the role but her character just seems like a very familiar, very safe iteration of the standard Fargo cop role.

She's better than Patrick Wilson was at least. Oh man did I hate that guy.

Never even knew who she was before Fargo.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Never even knew who she was before Fargo.

That's perfectly understandable. She comes from a theatre background and the relatively recent Gone Girl was her first film, though I'd say it was the equally relatively recent The Leftovers that put her on the map for most (myself included).

I mean, this is the best season by virtue of not having incredibly dumb characters

Oh you mean, by Emmit letting the only thing that could get his wife back die, and/or get incarcerated? or Sy being smart enough to get Nikki to confess over the phone but not recording it, showing the stupidity of both characters? Emmit and Sy not having the bank notified that Emmit has a twin is another. Shocked that he hasn't tried this before.

I'm also not sure how Asian hitman planned to kill Nikki. He had a garrote, but was he expecting her to walk backwards into the bathroom? There's no way that ended quietly.

Speevy

Banned
The entire season rests on the fact that no one has ever heard of twins, and there's a bunch of characters who are really terrible at using computers.

Oh you mean, by Emmit letting the only thing that could get his wife back die, and/or get incarcerated? or Sy being smart enough to get Nikki to confess over the phone but not recording it, showing the stupidity of both characters? Emmit and Sy not having the bank notified that Emmit has a twin is another. Shocked that he hasn't tried this before.

I'm also not sure how Asian hitman planned to kill Nikki. He had a garrote, but was he expecting her to walk backwards into the bathroom? There's no way that ended quietly.

Yea I thought that last part was pretty dumb. He trashes the room and leaves the door open......lol that's hell of a trap

And yea, Sy is pretty fucking dumb all around. This season is pretty weak, with especially weak characters. And lame ass villains. Lmao at him picking his teeth with a screwdriver, I guess that means he's a bad ass?

Saty

Self-explanatory if you watched the other seasons. Take Law Officers for example. Season 1 had two dumb-as-nail FBI agents that magically can't even hear Malvo mascaraing an entire building they are parked next and other shit like that.

In S2 you had a police chief that can't make heads or tails from the most simple crime scene and takes ages to start looking for cars for this obvious hit-and-run despite them finding the victim's boot on top of a tree FFS. Of course, if he acted like any man in his position should have, then the bad guys of S2 couldn't get to town fast enough to start their own investigation and be numerous steps ahead of the cops.

This season you actually have competent and serviceable officers that are holding their own with the limited leeway and resources they are given.

Absolutely, i agree. I didn't mean S3 is beyond reproach or scrutiny (which is why i'm still indifferent about it and why i was always perplexed at the acclaim Fargo got) but if you compare the level of preposterousness, this season is the least egregious.

T Dollarz

This season is great, I'm really enjoying it, but yeah, it's not hitting me like the first two seasons.

That is probably just because there is too much competition on right now. The Leftovers, Better Call Saul, The Handmaid's Tale and American Gods are all a lot more interesting right now. The Americans and Fargo are in the next tier, right now at least.

this_guy

Self-explanatory if you watched the other seasons. Take Law Officers for example. Season 1 had two dumb-as-nail FBI agents that magically can't even hear Malvo mascaraing an entire building they are parked next and other shit like that.

In S2 you had a police chief that can't make heads or tails from the most simple crime scene and takes ages to start looking for cars for this obvious hit-and-run despite them finding the victim's boot on top of a tree FFS. Of course, if he acted like any man in his position should have, then the bad guys of S2 couldn't get to town fast enough to start their own investigation and be numerous steps ahead of the cops.

This season you actually have competent and serviceable officers that are holding their own with the limited leeway and resources they are given.

Absolutely, i agree. I didn't mean S3 is beyond reproach or scrutiny (which is why i'm still indifferent about it and why i was always perplexed at the acclaim Fargo got) but if you compare the level of preposterousness, this season is the least egregious.

What do you think of the police chief this season? (The chief that's pressuring Carrie Coon's character to stop investigating)

Molly was pretty competent in season 1 and so was Lou Solverson in season 2.

Love Varga, but that's about it. Season is a total bore. Every time something spectacularly interesting seems to be set up, they do the most boring thing with it. From the look on the lawyers face when they were beating up Mary Elizabeth Winstead, you'd think they were doing something ghastly. Nope! They just kicked her a lot, apparently.
Set up for two serious confrontations in the latest episode, one turns out to be a brother's slap fight that turns deadly in a very boring way, the other nothing. Not feeling this season at all.
But Lupin is putting in some work. He's an amazing character. Wish he actually did interesting things.

I'm probably an episode or two behind, but as he drank from the Worlds Greatest Dad mug, as predictable as the summer days are long, I just thought that "this is bad, an embarrassing whiff like Casey at the bat." Rather save the remaining several hours of this season to read a book.

New episode tonight:
The Law of Inevitability

Gloria tries to work around the system, Nikki finds herself in a familiar place, Varga comes up with an alternative plan and Emmit goes to dinner.

Top Bottom