• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Alur

Yeah The Fatman could easily do ranked on it's own. I might see one or two people on my team I've played with in the past 2-3 games each round of 3. Big difference from what we're used to, where we all play together all the time.

EDIT: Not trying to be a Fatman homer, either, btw. Just it is what it is at this point, til we get these transfers/merges/superservers/mass account deletion.

Isaccard

I think most of us are past the loyalty thing, simple fact is BW needs to do something to fix the population across the servers. Re-rolling treats the symptom but it doesn't cure the disease. /profound insight 8)

gatti-man

I think most of us are past the loyalty thing, simple fact is BW needs to do something to fix the population across the servers. Re-rolling treats the symptom but it doesn't cure the disease. /profound insight 8)

Yup. I just looked at it like I can have another useful toon. These giant servers will be very interesting since pvp skill seems to vary wildly.

Alur

Yup. I just looked at it like I can have another useful toon. These giant servers will be very interesting since pvp skill seems to vary wildly.

Yeah, we are leveling these guys while waiting to see what is gonna happen. Kruul is still my one true love in SWTOR.

You aren't kidding about PVP skill varying wildly...seriously. On Fatman at level 50 on imp side I've seen 500k damage from two players in a single game of huttball twice in a row (2 minutes shy of a full game no less one of those times, it was insane), I've also seen several games where the highest dps in games on our team is 190k, while the other team has several 300-400k's, and vice versa.

I'm up to about 20 games played at level 50, and countless at low level. I've yet to see a healer worth his salt compared to most of our regular PVP guys (most I've seen someone put out is 38k damage 363k heals in a Voidstar) - the same for tanks for the most part.

If you took some of these 4 man premades we had in GAF Empire, or SS or PD or whoever and ran them on this server, it'd be a lolfest once you were in BM gear. Tons more scrubs.

Sent

Bullshit. I'm sick of this marketing doublespeak that so many video game companies have subscribed to. Being open and honest with your community is always better for everyone (see: EVE & Planetside 2 as examples.)

If BW would come out and tell us exactly what they're thinking and why, they'd be better off for it.

They have never been open about anything. The highlight of this being the sudden removal of ranked warzones. I don't care what anyone says they knew long before 2 hours until 1.2 launched that it wasn't going in.

CzarTim

http://www.oldrepublic.net/511-swtor-presentation-mcm-expo.html

"Q: What’s happening with Ranked Warzones?
A: We had them planned for 1.2, and they were on tests for 1.2, including on PTS. We realized we had to fix a lot of details in order to provide the high-quality experience we were aiming so went back to the drawing board to create a good experience for queuing ranked warzones as an 8-man team. We are planning to introduce them with Game Update 1.3 but it can be postponed."

:-/

Zafir

I honestly think ranked warzones is the least of the games problems at the moment. Even if they implemented it, I don't think the populations are good enough on most servers for it to be used much.

Milly79

I honestly think ranked warzones is the least of the games problems at the moment. Even if they implemented it, I don't think the populations are good enough on most servers for it to be used much.

But, bu- think of those hardcore PVPers that quit the game over it!!

Meh, already takes a long time to get into pvp matches these days, splitting up the pvp player base more is just going to make it worse.

Anyways wondering if we will still be seeing the secret companion thing added in 1.3 since they decided to include a vague question related to it in the 1.3 Q&A.

gatti-man

Wait, logic?!

I hate it for them, but I could care less. I personally prefer pvping 10-49 as everyone is on the same level basically. Call me crazy, but I don't care.

10-49 is hopelessly broken. Its for learning only. There is zero reason as a lvl 45+ you shouldnt roll everything in sight. Most classes arent even decent until lvl 30. I mean sure its fun but the lvl of play is incredibly low.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
It's not even fun to me (guess some people really enjoy it as it's very casual and like gatti said, for learning). I don't see how being stuck with 2-3 skills from early on, to completely destroying everything late is fun. Plus the quality of games is so low I can't help but rage (I'm not super competitive, but lowbie games are like the special olympics).

Milly79

10-49 is hopelessly broken. Its for learning only. There is zero reason as a lvl 45+ you shouldnt roll everything in sight. Most classes arent even decent until lvl 30. I mean sure its fun but the lvl of play is incredibly low.

My level 31 Sage begs to differ. I know it isn't the same for every class, but I'm doubling DPS on level 45+ Sages with the same spec and I'm highly undergeared for my level.

If you can get in a good group that listens to the OPs leader, it's a lot of fun and I've had plenty of good/close matches. I can understand how it would be frustrating for those that don't have many good skills yet.

I personally haven't PVP'd much at 50, and certainly not lately. I really don't want to see the same people over and over again, and that's another reason I highly enjoy sub-50. You see new faces every match.

The only shitty thing is that it seems all the good Empire lowbies have quit, or moved to the Pubs, cause they've been smashing us for the last month and it's forced me to PVP more over there whenever I do it.

It's not even fun to me (guess some people really enjoy it as it's very casual and like gatti said, for learning). I don't see how being stuck with 2-3 skills from early on, to completely destroying everything late is fun. Plus the quality of games is so low I can't help but rage (I'm not super competitive, but lowbie games are like the special olympics).

Been in countless lvl 50 pvp games that feel like Benny Hill music should be playing in the background, experiences will always vary. Really early pvp does suck, but ones your in 30's and such you got quite a few abilities and just find it more fun. I'm sure some class builds aren't up to snuff in the lower brackets though, but I find it enjoyable alternate to leveling up. If the 1.3 pvp experience legacy buff is truly up to 30% when maxed out, then I really look forward to it as a means of skipping alot of the side quest repetition finally.

And really I don't see the unorganized lower bracket anymore since majority of the lower lvl pvp players are alts to experienced players these days, if anything it feels players are much better at the objectives in the lowbies.

gatti-man

Been in countless lvl 50 pvp games that feel like Benny Hill music should be playing in the background, experiences will always vary. Really early pvp does suck, but ones your in 30's and such you got quite a few abilities and just find it more fun. I'm sure some class builds aren't up to snuff in the lower brackets though, but I find it enjoyable alternate to leveling up. If the 1.3 pvp experience legacy buff is truly up to 30% when maxed out, then I really look forward to it as a means of skipping alot of the side quest repetition finally.

And really I don't see the unorganized lower bracket anymore since majority of the lower lvl pvp players are alts to experienced players these days, if anything it feels players are much better at the objectives in the lowbies.

Different servers and all but my experience is 100% the opposite.

Cystm

Got my Keller's Void character to 40 today:

EZjta.jpg

This level 40 set looks better than the 50 war hero sets.

Milly79

1.2.5 Patch Notes
5/30/2012
General

Optimizations have been implemented that decrease instances of crashing to desktop.
Any players required to change a character's name due to Customer Support request must now make all name changes before logging in with any characters on a server.

Classes and Combat

General
"Heroic Moment" abilities no longer persist after players log out or transition areas.

Companion Characters

General
Corrected an issue that could cause Companion Characters to appear without a head when wearing certain headgear.

Flashpoints and Operations

General
Boss encounters no longer drop rewards until the entire encounter has been cleared of enemies.
Flashpoints
Corrected an issue that could prevent Flashpoint mission steps from updating properly if players were disconnected during a Flashpoint.
Operations
Players can no longer bypass the lockout timer for some boss encounters.
Eternity Vault
Corrected an issue that could prevent players from receiving mission credit upon defeating Soa.
Explosive Conflict
After defeating Firebrand and Stormcaller, players now collect rewards from the Firebrand Battle Tank rather than a loot chest.

Missions and NPCs

Missions
World Missions
Belsavis
Breakthrough: Corrected an issue that prevented mission objectives from being completed in a group unless the group leader was the first to interact with the objective object at each point .
Wrong Savior: The Solitary Confinement area is no longer plagued by a level 50 Malfunctioning Guardian Droid.
Corellia
The Lucky Lancer: The mission step "Secure the Landing Site" will now update as intended when players enter the Corellian Museum of Starships.
Ilum
First Strike: Players who abandoned this mission after Game Update 1.2 can now speak to T9-M6 on the Imperial Fleet to regain it.
Crystal Ball: Players who abandoned this mission after Game Update 1.2 can now speak to Lieutenant Ha'laa on the Republic Fleet to regain it.
Nar Shaddaa
Tempting Fate: Players on the step "Access the Security Terminal" are no longer able to repeat part of the conversation.
Tatooine
The Thing Czerka Found: Corrected an issue that prevented players from completing or abandoning this mission.
Class Missions
Jedi Knight
An Unthinkable Alliance: Players on this mission have had their progress reset, and abandoning the mission during the step "The Emperor's Fortress" will no longer prevent players from completing the mission after it is reacquired.
Fallen: Group members can no longer leave the Korriban Flame station.
Smuggler
Heist of the Millennium: Players are now able to use their starship to travel to the Imperial Treasury Ship during this mission after traveling there one time via the Nar Shaddaa shuttle.
The Final Score: Players are now able to use their starship to travel to the Regnant during this mission after traveling there one time via the Corellia shuttle.
Imperial Agent
The Star Chamber: Players who destroy the codex and fight the Sith Lords aboard the station can now enter the Tenebrous to complete this mission. Those who were unable to enter the Tenebrous before patch 1.2.5 must reset this mission before completing it.
Trooper
A New Player: Exiting the initial conversation by using ESC no longer blocks players from using their holoterminal.
Welcome Party: Exiting the initial conversation by using ESC no longer blocks players from using their holoterminal.
Bounty Hunter
Number One With a Bullet: Players on this mission have had their progress reset and can now complete the mission if they use their player ship to leave the Founder.

PvP

Warzones
General
Corrected a server-side issue that could prevent Warzone matches from being created.
Warzones now end early if team populations become too imbalanced.
Novare Coast
Fixed an issue that could allow players to become stuck on the Bunker Control Console.
Players can no longer become untargetable by entering bunkers while capturing bases.

Space Combat

Corrected an issue that could cause blaster shot damage to be delayed or ignored.

UI

Corrected an issue that could cause the main UI quickbar to overlap with player portraits.
Players can no longer assign keybindings to toggle off music and ambient sounds. These can still be adjusted using the sliders in the Preferences Window.
Players can now purchase both Cargo Hold expansions back-to-back if eligible to do so.
Players who leave a full Operations Group will no longer appear on the UI to be in a regular group with some members of the Operations Group.
Sending companions on Crew Skill missions or accepting mission rewards now prevents the player from being treated as AFK.

Miscellaneous Bug Fixes

Republic players are now transported to their ships when selecting the option from the Space Station Shuttle on Belsavis.

"Wrong Savior: The Solitary Confinement area is no longer plagued by a level 50 Malfunctioning Guardian Droid."

The scumbag that wiped us is defeated...

UltraMav

Finally went through with activating the test server and installing everything, only to find that the server is down. Derp! :(

Tarazet

My level 31 Sage begs to differ. I know it isn't the same for every class, but I'm doubling DPS on level 45+ Sages with the same spec and I'm highly undergeared for my level.

I just rerolled to Jedi Covenant, and I've topped the charts routinely with my Sentinel before even hitting level 20. It's a combination of using keybindings so that I can keep my rotation going smoothly, and not having anything to divide my attention since i don't have a stun, an interrupt, or any of my other utility abilities. As I get them, I expect my DPS to dip down and level off as I use those abilities to shut down other players, particularly healers. Just because I won't be doing amazing numbers, though, doesn't mean I'll be a less useful player. In Huttball for example the numbers are often almost worthless. PvP in SWTOR, believe it or not, isn't just a deathmatch.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
How did you find out you were in the beta? Was it via e-mail?

Anyone can go onto the test server, you just have to create a new character. The thing people had to apply for was transferring their high level characters over.

UltraMav

I have yet to receive an email regarding my character transfer to the PTS. Hell I didn't even get a confirmation page after submitting my info.

CzarTim

I've come to despise post-1.2 PVP. Just as broken as pre-1.2, but in the opposite direction. I know I play arguably the weakest class, but what I liked about PVP in SWTOR was that it was slower paced than most MMOs. That is no longer the case. And it's made worse by the long respawn times.

Healing feels right now, but damage is out-of-control. It also baffles me that they have done so little tweaking in the month-and-a-half since release. This, despite the fact that they've admitted certain classes aren't hitting their targets.

Damage feels fine. The only issue I have is mauraders/sentinels take too much to kill :p

Certain classes not hitting their targets are just going to likely mean more damage ups for certain folks anyways

CzarTim

Mauraders/sentinels are definitely the main offenders. And on Keller's Void it feels like EVERYBODY has rolled one now. As a healer, I'm basically shut down immediately with no hope. It doesn't feel like I'm helping in matches at all -- win or lose. Defending on Voidstar is the worst now. Sometimes I can't take five steps out of the gate without dying. Getting hit for 1/3 my health is just no fun to me. The same thing happened Pre-1.2 when everybody had a Sorc/Inq. It just seems obvious to me that when everybody starts playing a specific class, that class has something the others don't. Fixing those problems shouldn't be held for major patches. I understand it's an on-going process to balance, but on-going doesn't mean once every few months. It should be constant. Weekly. Identify the problem, find the solution.

But the play on KV is really high. Lots of great guilds on both sides. I just wish there was a better matchmaking system in place. Most matches are really one sided.

Alur

But the play on KV is really high. Lots of great guilds on both sides. I just wish there was a better matchmaking system in place. Most matches are really one sided.

It's because all that's left (for the most part) is top tier talent. While some of the best PVPers on KV have gone, those left are mostly well above average due to persistence if nothing else.

It is one sided as hell all day at this point though - basically a pub or imp freight train depending on who is on due to only 1 game going. I stopped queueing period Sunday night when I went into a game with 4 sorc healers, me being one as well as a merc healer. Seemed like every game lately I've been in had 3 or 4 heals and no dps; too hard to win that way if the other 4 can't put out nice burst dps. If it wasn't a team of heals it was a team of marauders.

Can't have matchmaking with only 1 game going most of the day, and that's what we have ATM sadly.

CzarTim

Weekly Q&A

LKaras: What will you be doing to keep guilds and server communities together once server transfer is implemented?

Joveth Gonzalez (Online Community Manager): Once server transfers are implemented, we will re-evaluate our server group forums and make any changes that are necessary. We also have Community Coordinator Eric Musco as the liaison to guilds and he has a lot of good ideas on how to work with them. Finally, we’re going to begin to highlight server community events on the Community Blog section of our site to make sure that they get proper attention. Rest assured that guilds and server communities are part of our overall focus within the community team.

------
Not very reassuring. Didn't even answer the damn question.

Francois424

Neo Member
I read it as : "We are making server transfer first, THEN we will see what we could do for guilds"

I would just be glad for transfers at this point (with one superserver to go to; the only good long-term choice imho) as my server is very much dead now...

I really hope this game gets it's act togetter before it is too late tho.
Would be a shame to waste all that potential.

Cystm

Translation: You want server merges, but pleasing everyone with the legacy system in place as is, is not something we're prepared to handle, so please, take the free server xfers, and be happy - otherwise: fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Weekly Q&A

LKaras: What will you be doing to keep guilds and server communities together once server transfer is implemented?

Joveth Gonzalez (Online Community Manager): Once server transfers are implemented, we will re-evaluate our server group forums and make any changes that are necessary. We also have Community Coordinator Eric Musco as the liaison to guilds and he has a lot of good ideas on how to work with them. Finally, we’re going to begin to highlight server community events on the Community Blog section of our site to make sure that they get proper attention. Rest assured that guilds and server communities are part of our overall focus within the community team.

That is a hilariously terrible answer. We are going to re-evaluate our server group forums? looool. Oh, and "highlight server community events on the blog." Did he not read the question at all?

Top Bottom