• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe Quantum Break Review.

Montresor

That's using a single power twice to do something that has no relevance in combat.

But like, suuuuuper cool tho man i mean just look at it bruh

These posts are giving me high blood pressure. What is wrong with it looking "super cool"? There is no value in that? I'm sort of losing my mind seeing how the above two responses could be the first thing that pops into someone's head when looking at that gif.

I'm almost finished Quantum Break and I'd guess maybe 40% of my time with the game has been performing exploration rather than fighting, which I personally adore. I spend almost all my time on XB1 playing puzzle games and exploration games, and when I pop in a AAA action game like Quantum Break, which mixes in a really interesting sci story line with slick visuals and very neat game play and then I get nice long breaks of ambient exploration or story exposition? I'm all for that.

dt2

Banned
I can totally understand that as a criticism in maybe the first episode, if it ended there. It does place characters and give a suggestion of importance through the level of dialogue and the visual language used when they are present, which almost feels jarring as they hit you in the face without introduction. That is gone very quickly and the character's motivations become once the branching narrative has locked in on either Liam or Charlie.

There are efforts, true. Problem is they are boring, badly written and acted and pretty cliched. Oh, offcourse the security officer of the bad guys has doubts about his allegiance. HIS WIFE IS PREGNANT! I started the show with the best intentions, but it is in all honestly a snoozefest, because... you don't connect to it's characters at all.

For the story they were trying to tell I thought it flowed alright given the ~80 minute run time. I do think the Charlie-Fiona story line was flat (although his change of heart was somewhat noble if not expected) but I think the Liam-Emily story line was handled well. Additionally learning more about Hatch, Serene, and Amaral and seeing the story unfold from their point of view I think did add depth to their characters. I found the build up to their eventual fate a fun ride and was genuinely excited to see what happened next in each episode...and Liam...

Really felt bad for him...how he was a corporate puppet and knew he was but did what he did to guarantee the safety of his wife and child. That last episode where he puts on the Stryker suit and then when you make it up the tower and hear his wheezing...kind of hit me with the feels.

An outlier? I dunno. It's not like people hated Fallout 4, and I don't recall the review but I feel confident in saying that Joe had a problem with the dialogue system, didn't he?

I'm just saying that I don't think he's ever had a dissenting opinion on a game, and I struggle to imagine doing that for such a long period of time without checking your opinion against the consensus before reviewing a game.

You should actually check out his review scores. He's reviews plenty of games and went against the general consensus. He still have FO4 an 8/10, which is a really high score for Joe.

These posts are giving me high blood pressure. What is wrong with it looking "super cool"? There is no value in that? I'm sort of losing my mind seeing how the above two responses could be the first thing that pops into someone's head when looking at that gif.

I'm almost finished Quantum Break and I'd guess maybe 40% of my time with the game has been performing exploration rather than fighting, which I personally adore. I spend almost all my time on XB1 playing puzzle games and exploration games, and when I pop in a AAA action game like Quantum Break, which mixes in a really interesting sci story line with slick visuals and very neat game play and then I get nice long breaks of ambient exploration or story exposition? I'm all for that.

It's not about it looking "super cool", it's about popping the same ability twice that adds nothing to the combat.

jem0208

Didn't play QB because I don't wanna play the seemingly terrible PC port, but I don't think you can play the game "wrong". Maybe it's more fun not to use cover and use time powers, but if the game can be played and completed as a simple cover shooter, it doesn't mean Joe played it wrong or that he made the experience worse for himself. The fault is on gameplay and level designers for allowing such gameplay. As such, he had this negative experience with the game and his score is logical, and the fault of the game.

It definitely is possible to play a game wrong.

You could play through the entirely of Halo using only a plasma pistol and not driving anywhere, it'd be a really shit experience but it'd be possible.

It isn't bad game design, it's a player literally refusing to use the toolbox handed to him.
Yup.

Alienous

You should actually check out his review scores. He's reviews plenty of games and went against the general consensus. He still have FO4 an 8/10, which is a really high score for Joe.

That isn't dissenting. That's right in line with the consensus. And he says himself he tries to use more of the scale, so accounting for that it's right in line.

And I'm not talking about the scores, but the opinions he has about elements of a game. I'd have to believe that he's a spectacularly good reviewer to play through a game one time and pick up on all of the complaints about a game. And he does this consistently.

So it has appeared to me when watching his reviews that he does a lot of 'background checking', and his opinions are partially a amalgam of the opinion of the gaming community at large. It just doesn't feel like his reviews are done in a vacuum.

Henkka

Banned
What happened to Remedy?

I'm guessing QB was a somewhat troubled project. The TV-show portion is a remnant of Microsoft's TV integration plans that got canceled. The original live-action teaser is nothing like the show in the game, at least from what I've seen.

nynt9

That isn't dissenting. That's right in line with the consensus. And he says himself he tries to use more of the scale, so accounting for that it's right in line.

And I'm not talking about the scores, but the opinions he has about elements of a game. I'd have to believe that he's a spectacularly good reviewer to play through a game one time and pick up on all of the complaints about a game. And he does this consistently.

So it's appeared to me when watching his reviews that he does a lot of 'background' chequeing, and his opinions is partially a amalgam of the opinion of the gaming community at large. It just doesn't feel like his reviews are done in a vacuum.

You can actually watch him stream most of his gameplay and arrive to his conclusions. These arguments are ridiculous.

dt2

Banned
What happened to Remedy?

I think their quality has remained fairly consistent. Max Payne has a metacritic of 89, MP2 86, Alan Wake 83, AW:AN 76, Quantum Break 77. There seems to be a downward trend but I think that's more probably due to a changing market and keep in mind their releases are far apart (~7 years between Max Payne 2 and Alan Wake). Remedy games have a unique flavor and they seem to stick to linear, single player games with a strong narrative that last for around 10 - 12 hours. In today's market games like these are few and far between. In the end value is in the eye of the beholder though.

So it has appeared to me when watching his reviews that he does a lot of 'background checking', and his opinions are partially a amalgam of the opinion of the gaming community at large. It just doesn't feel like his reviews are done in a vacuum.

I don't understand why you believe this is more likely than him just coming to these conclusions by himself like every other reviewer does over the course of playing a game from start to finish. He even streams his entire play through of pretty much every game he reviews, so you can literally see his opinion evolve as he plays through the game. He started off positive on QB but his opinion of the game declined as he played through it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Heh, based on the review the live action stuff really does make the the MSG4 stuff look good by comparison in terms of how awkwardly integrated into the game it seems.

ZoddGutts

An outlier? I dunno. It's not like people hated Fallout 4, and I don't recall the review but I feel confident in saying that Joe had a problem with the dialogue system, didn't he?

I'm just saying that I don't think he's ever had a dissenting opinion on a game, and I struggle to imagine doing that for such a long period of time without checking your opinion against the consensus before reviewing a game.

Haven't you been saying this in every Joe review thread? Or am I confusing you with someone else, either way shit is getting old and you nor anyone else have any proof to back it up.

Alienous

I really don't care enough about it to get engaged in a back-and-forth, but I was just saying to another poster that I get the same impression of Angry Joe's reviews. I might be wrong, but it's so unimportant that I don't think it's even worth debating.

KORNdoggy

i'd agree with this if he didn't show evidence of all of his complaints. i mean, it's not that difficult to accept that the general community thinking the FMV's are a jarring, boring mess happen to match his own opinion without him having to look it up first.

i mean, look at reviews in general. especially the games that are well received. they almost always are unanimous. but i doubt you think they've been "background checking" each other to make sure they're consistent with the consensus do you? lol

for a game like QB which has everything from a 4/10 to a 10/10 nothing he can say is "right in line with the consensus" at all, because the consensus is all over the place.

GavinGT

Banned

We weren't talking about how cool the powers looked. We were talking about depth and creative combinations of powers. He responded with a gif of something that's totally useless in combat.

DryvBy

Did you know that you could do stuff like this:

qb6tzs71.gif

The powers are only as creative as the one who controls them.

I noticed two things in this:

1) That was unnecessary.
2) The floating top cone vanishes whenever the 2nd bubble disappears.

Drencrom

I think their quality has remained fairly consistent. Max Payne has a metacritic of 89, MP 2 86, Alan Wake 83, AW:AN 76, Quantum Break 77. There seems to be a downward trend but I think that's more probably due to a changing market. Remedy games have a unique flavor and they seem to stick to linear, single player games with a strong narrative that last for around 10 - 12 hours. In today's market games like these are few and far between. In the end value is in the eye of the beholder though.

The market definitely values linear, singleplayer action games with a narrative focus. It's just that the game itself have to be up to snuff for them to appreciated and successful, just look at the huge success of The Last of Us and compare it to how The Order 1886 bombed critically/commercially.

Alienous

i'd agree with this if he didn't show evidence of all of his complaints. i mean, it's not that difficult to accept that the general community thinking the FMV's are a jarring, boring mess happen to match his own opinion without him having to look it up first.

i mean, look at reviews in general. especially the games that are well received. they almost always are unanimous. but i doubt you think they've been "background checking" each other to make sure they're consistent with the consensus do you? lol

for a game like QB which has everything from a 4/10 to a 10/10 nothing he can say is "right in line with the consensus" at all, because the consensus is all over the place.

It's partially due to his reviews coming after all of the others, and being as comprehensive as they are. Where reviews might disparately pick up on things like issues, or common complaints, it seems to me like Joe's reviews pick up on all of them. No stone unturned. And usually from a single-playthrough. And I struggle to see that happening without checking out what the complaints at large are.

It's really just an observation. Maybe it's completely wrong, but I don't care about it enough to argue it.

nynt9

Celebrating? Biggest selling MS new IP, who care what AJ think.

Biggest selling* MS** new IP***

*: in its first week in certain territories

**: for the purposes of this comparison some games count, others don't

***: this gen only

I mean, I want ambitious games like this to do well, but I also want them to be good. Remedy seem to have made some odd decisions with this one, and the mixed reception will hopefully let them improve their next game.

emalord

I would rate QB 7,5 because it's bold and sports pretty good graphics but sure I can't blame people judging it insufficient on many levels

valkyre

The whole " Joe's reviews are just a reflection of what users say" is complete conspiracy theory bullshit.

The guy has many times deviated both from what critics and users think about games.

Its just his opinion, deal with it. I also have disagreed with his reviews in the past but I fully acknowledge and give credit to the guy because his reviews are lengthy and his arguments most of the time are legit. There is no conspiracy here...

dt2

Banned
The market definitely values linear, singleplayer action games with a narrative focus. It's just that the game itself have to be up to snuff for them to appreciated and successful, just look at the huge success of The Last of Us and compare it to how The Order 1886 bombed critically/commercially.

To be fair TLOU had multiplayer that was actually really good. They definitely do value strictly single player games (I'm not disputing that) but I think there's more scrutiny placed on them since many games now include big open worlds, long single player campaigns, and/or a multiplayer suite. My point was that nothing really "happened" to Remedy as their games have remained fairly consistent. Looking at their history they've been in the 70's - 80's range and after playing all of them I tend to agree they're about equal in quality with some of their games doing some things better and some things worse.

GavinGT

Banned
That's absolutely hilarious. But not in the way he wants you to think. He wasn't even walking the character thru the actual bullet, but the light beam that it left behind. Angry Joe? More like Whiny Joe fabricating a negative to me. And people take this guy seriously?

Most people can tell when someone is being facetious.

That's absolutely hilarious. But not in the way he wants you to think. He wasn't even walking the character thru the actual bullet, but the light beam that it left behind. Angry Joe? More like Whiny Joe fabricating a negative to me. And people take this guy seriously?

Do you know what humor is? And what about this scene?

MaulerX

Do you know what humor is? And what about this scene?

The irony to me is, that people talk about the fact that it's his opinion (agreed 100%) and how people shouldn't get bent out of shape over it (also agreed). But then proceed to seemingly get bent out of shape when one states a negative opinion about him. I personally think he's a moron. Others feel differently. It's all good. That's how the cookie crumbles.

Drencrom

To be fair TLOU had multiplayer that was actually really good. They definitely do value strictly single player games (I'm not disputing that) but I think there's more scrutiny placed on them since many games now include big open worlds, long single player campaigns, and/or a multiplayer suite. My point was that nothing really "happened" to Remedy as their games have remained fairly consistent. Looking at their history they've been in the 70's - 80's range and after playing all of them I tend to agree they're about equal in quality with some of their games doing some things better and some things worse.

I'm 95% positive that the multiplayer of TLOU (while really great and fun) didn't have much of an impact on the score and wasn't a big factor why the game was so successful and reveled by critics and consumers.

Also, just being consistent quality wise ain't enough, you generally can't just keep making games that are consistent year after year. What's a great or an average games is relative, and if they can't make games that are outright better and more evolved than their previous titles they won't get the same reception.

Why are you making such a big deal out of a dumb joke? How is this joke relevant to people "taking him seriously"?

It's like people are grasping at straws to discredit him in the most inane ways just because he doesn't have the same opinion as you about a game.

The irony to me is, that people talk about the fact that it's his opinion (agreed 100%) and how people shouldn't get bent out of shape over it (also agreed). But then proceed to seemingly get bent out of shape when one states a negative opinion about him. I personally think he's a moron. Others feel differently. It's all good. That's how the cookie crumbles.

You can think he is a moron. But you insinuated that he or the viewers were not aware of the fact that the light-trail of the bullet was not hitting the character. He is aware, and was simply referencing that the character can survive numerous bullets hitting him during the gameplay. We simply pointed out this fact.

In short: You made a false claim, we corrected you. Where is your issue and how does that relate to what you posted now?

RE_Player

Hilarious reactions. I enjoyed Quantum Break but you some people gotta take a step back and allow people to maybe not enjoy things as much as they do.

Great review as always by Joe.

Let cartoon characters anger you brehs...

Go out of your way to defend people who don't know you brehs...

It his opinion idk why people are getting bent out of shape if you enjoyed it then how does joe not liking it affect you?

MaulerX

You can think he is a moron. But you insinuated that he or the viewers were not aware of the fact that the light-trail of the bullet was not hitting the character. He is aware, and was simply referencing that the character can survive numerous bullets hitting him during the gameplay. We simply pointed out this fact.

In short: You made a false claim, we corrected you. Where is your issue and how does that relate to what you posted now?

I made a false claim? Are you sure that he was "simply referencing that the character can survive numerous bullets hitting him during the gameplay" in that particular scene in the video? I'm pretty sure there are other shooters in which characters survive getting hit by bullets but die in other weird situations. Arguments like that can probably be made about any game really. Whatever argument he tried to make in that scene was nitpicky at best. That's my opinion.

Top Bottom