• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
tumblr_ortostixlA1r9cclvo2_1280.gif

things cut from the Tokyo Ghoul anime that I can tell from where I am in the manga:
-Kaneki's entire reason for hanging around Tsukiyama (who he recognizes is sketchy as hell) is to get information about the ghoul restaurant which he will then exchange for information about Rize's death, which is a mystery that's being played up in order to not only tie up some weird story points (the steel beams just being there, the doctor transplanting her organs) but to actually keep her relevant within the plot so it's not super jarring when those guys show up at the coffee shop wondering about her
-a pretty detailed (like, arguably too detailed?) explanation of kagune and how they work
-basically everything with that one kid who has the stitches
-any character development for Banjo who is a good dude
-any internal struggles/political stuff within Aogiri Tree plus Kaneki being forced to join them; there's almost a volume's worth of material + action/suspense they skipped by jumping to Jason torturing Kaneki which is kind of a baffling decision

I remember going to see Final Fantasy Spirits Within. Like the actual act of going with my brothers.

Don't remember the movie at all.

I don't think we talked about it when it was over.

I suddenly realize this post reads like we committed a violent crime together.

Crocodile

Jesus Christ at what is happening with Chris Ayres. I wish him the best and hope he can recover quickly. A shame if his VA career is over but as long as he can recover and lead a full, active life afterwards I will be ecstatic.

I remember going to see Final Fantasy Spirits Within. Like the actual act of going with my brothers.

How do you not remember sexy 3D rendered Ming Na?

Mizerman

That's the magic about Spirits Within. Once you watch, you suddenly forget about it at all. That's a blessing in disguise.

Morlas

speaking of movies it's a damn shame the gurren lagann movies never got dubbed, they get even more ridiculous and it's awesome.

caliph95

things cut from the Tokyo Ghoul anime that I can tell from where I am in the manga:
-Kaneki's entire reason for hanging around Tsukiyama (who he recognizes is sketchy as hell) is to get information about the ghoul restaurant which he will then exchange for information about Rize's death, which is a mystery that's being played up in order to not only tie up some weird story points (the steel beams just being there, the doctor transplanting her organs) but to actually keep her relevant within the plot so it's not super jarring when those guys show up at the coffee shop wondering about her
-a pretty detailed (like, arguably too detailed?) explanation of kagune and how they work
-basically everything with that one kid who has the stitches
-any character development for Banjo who is a good dude
-any internal struggles/political stuff within Aogiri Tree plus Kaneki being forced to join them; there's almost a volume's worth of material + action/suspense they skipped by jumping to Jason torturing Kaneki which is kind of a baffling decision
Why skip stuff like this i guess they want to skip to the edgy stuff

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think I said this before, but the more I hear about all the stuff that was left out from the anime, the more I feel like Tokyo Ghoul is less a bad "show" (though don't get me wrong, it still has the right to be judged even if you haven't read the manga) & more of a bad adaptation.

No joke, I kind of would be okay if they did a Brotherhood or whatever version that stuck closer to the manga. It sounds like it would've been an alright series, nothing special, but MUCH better than what we got. Like if they made it 24-26 episodes that understood it needed to stay seinen & not leave out so many details while maybe adding a few in, i.e. "why haven't ghouls gotten along after all these years?", "why is coffee the only thing they can drink?", etc.

cntr

Banned
We'll probably get a "Brotherhood" version of Tokyo Ghoul years down the line, yeah.

Oh, reminder that the second season is nearly all anime original. So, well...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
In a way, TG to me is a very interesting kind of bad, one where you just want to question the decisions that were made when they decided to make it into an anime. I want to learn more about why so much was changed & listen into the thought process of just leaving out so much content that would've helped the show.

I might actually check out the manga just so I can see for myself just how much stuff Pierrot decided to alter.

I don't think I've ever been fascinated by this kind of bad before. Certainly more interesting than Unicorn ever was.

Isn't that the season that even fans of TG the anime hate
I think so. I mentioned a few days ago that my younger sister (who is pretty much in the right age group for this series) thought the 2nd season was crap.

cntr

Banned
I think for the anime, the logic was simply that they allocated the bare minimum of episodes and budget to the series, and as a marketing decision, decided to appeal to the Akame ga Kill edgy shounen crowd instead of Tokyo Ghoul's normal seinen crowd.

So they just rushed through the series and cut everything down to to the edgiest parts, and probably found it unadaptable for the second season as a result, so came up with their own material.

And they probably simplified most of the more complicated material to aim for a lower audience + save time, like e.g., Kaneki stabs himself in the beginning because he figures he'd get hospitalized and the ghoul organs removed once his friend found him, which is a pretty complicated idea that'd take time to explain and understand, so in the anime that became "I'll stab myself to check if I'm really a Ghoul".

cntr

Banned
Pfft, those are low-tier bad translations. Everybody sane can see that they're bad.

I'm talking about complete garbage translating that turns what's a clean and straight forward sentence into a shambling zombie mess that got the barest minimum of proofreading. That's the kind of translations Jump series get.

MHA's translation was especially bad this week.

caliph95

It also doesn't feel like someone trying to make it adult and edgy by having characters swear like a tarantino character

Though Viz has translated Supreme Kai as lord of lords while accurate i prefer Kai more

I hear Spirits Within is a good movie...if you don't consider it being part of Final Fantasy :b

I went and saw it back in the day, too. I hardly had a clue what FF was at the time - apart from it being a game series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom