• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghosts Xbox One offline (2 weeks before launch) not possible without Live?

PBY

Banned
Long ago before console were finished? So tell me, why Microsoft annaunced XO with DRM restriction in May, and after E3. Console is in production for a few months. So, DRM is deeply buried in XO. Don't defend Microsoft. DRM is still here. Did you read what Penello said a few days ago?

I'm actually just defending what was quoted 4 months ago- namely that the patch was basically just the OS. It wasn't "deeply buried in XO"- because its fucking software.

"DRM is still here"? I think we're done. Again, you're finding things where there are no things to find.

MaulerX

Twice right. Notice the part in my post where I mention I took a new build right before his tweet?

OK I have to be up at 4:30am to catch a plane. Hopefully people understand what's going on, if not it appears like Rhindles guesses are pretty good. :)

Edit: also reread my post. All of this is unique to the prerelease. When the 'real' Day One patch goes live, the console will work just like you expect.

Thanks Albert. We wouldn't want you missing that plane.

SRTtoZ

Something doesn't make sense to me.

There was just this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711610

"Forza 5 wouldn't have been 1080p, 60fps without access to Xbox One's cloud"

If that's truly the case, then how are you going to play games that use the cloud without an internet connection? At a lower resolution/fps/graphics settings?

I hope this is already known information, but I haven't read it anywhere.

Edit: PS I don't believe the cloud makes any difference, but at some point all these contradicting statements will have to be clarified with honesty.

How does this relate to this thread though?

Amir0x

Banned
The official stance is: it is pre release. Not everything works yet.

please stop defense mode-ing. That is not a specific explanation to this very specific problem. We have received that specific explanation, so you can put down the green shield and them green glasses and relax.

Long ago before console were finished? So tell me, why Microsoft annaunced XO with DRM restriction in May, and after E3? Console is in production for a few months. So, DRM is deeply buried in XO. Don't defend Microsoft. DRM is still here. Did you read what Penello said a few days ago?

I've read what he said a few minutes ago:

There is no "DRM removal" in the Day One update because none of the consoles were ever built with that stuff in it.

Long ago before console were finished? So tell me, why Microsoft annaunced XO with DRM restriction in May, and after E3? Console is in production for a few months. So, DRM is deeply buried in XO. Don't defend Microsoft. DRM is still here. Did you read what Penello said a few days ago?

They didn't start manufacturing consoles till around August, long after E3

it wouldn't have been so bad if there weren't so many people determined to find fault with everything right now. it's really ridiculous and it's happening on "both sides"

Personally, I won't be satisfied until Microsoft's code check-in logs are released to us, so I can know exactly what updates are being done during this prelaunch period, and review the code myself (I'm an expert). The customer has a right to this knowledge.

Penello, release the Team Foundation Server logs to consumers, or you can kiss a successful launch goodbye

Megatron

Can we update the thread please.

The person who got this console a full two weeks ahead of schedule downloaded some sort of pre-release OS. This pre-release OS allowed him to play games. A new pre-release OS was pushed to systems. His system was not authorized to access this pre-release OS because he isn't a dev/etc. Therefore he lost the functionality to play games and/or do shit.

The thread is already updated with Alberts post. But Albert concedes that what he said is his best guess he doesn't have official word due to the late hour on a Sunday. This information is absolutely relevant because Microsoft is already doing what some people feared they would do. Most likely it will be worry over nothing, but until that's known for sure people deserve to know.

They system and services aren't ready to launch until the 22nd.

Its mind blowing that most of you were in the day one update thread yet managed to forget in less than 24hours.

1- Update wasn't for removing DRM
2- Guy can't play online- because he can't do ANYTHING- He doesn't have a functional OS- which explains why he can't even get into the settings

so what was he doing before the ban? not to mention he said he could play offline after the ban, until the next day. he did have a functional OS...he showed it off.

i'm still wondering, even if the update is to download the full OS of the system, why is it he could play offline before but not now?

edit: nvm, i think i got it.

Chobel

If that's truly the case, then how are you going to play games that use the cloud without an internet connection? At a lower resolution/fps/graphics settings?

Edit: PS I don't believe the cloud makes any difference, but at some point all these contradicting statements will have to be clarified with honesty.

Read the article in that thread, they didn't say the cloud enhanced the graphics of Forza. They said the network part of Forza was shart/easy to handle thanks to the cloud, so they had more time to develop the graphics of Forza.

I think people misunderstood this one, but whatever.. I think what this is talking about is that the computation required to do the AI is done in the cloud and the resulting data is downloaded and *cached* locally so that it doesn't need to be done while the game is being played. having to do that in real time would slow the game down

Lynn616

Because he did not have a final consumer OS. What he downloaded was most likely a beta/developer OS with a limited functional window. Ans that most likely expired after he lost XBL access.

It's not an uncommon thing actually. It enforces everyone to be on latest code for testing/dev purposes.

This seems the most likely.

7KVwfk5.gif

Foaloal

How does this relate to this thread though?

Based off the quote in post 1023 "After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again."

If that's true, and the Cloud actually being necessary for Forza to hit 1080p/60fps is true, then the above statement, and any statements about playing games offline, would have to be more like this:

After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game* without ever connecting online again.

*Some games will disable graphical/etc. effects when played offline

This relates to the thread since it's basically about whether or not games will all be totally playable offline (other than multiplayer/dlc/etc, obviously)

Read the article in that thread, they didn't say the cloud enhanced the graphics of Forza. They said the network part of Forza was shart/easy to handle thanks to the cloud, so they had more time to develop the graphics of Forza.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I have to admit the thread title I referenced is somewhat misleading, probably to attract more views.

I figured it was something like this. I never thought the day one update was a simple removing of DRM. That guy never did actually get the true Day One update since the "Day One" update you get at launch is likely to be quite different from whatever he downloaded by the time the system officially launches. Microsoft are, as expected, continuing to work on it right up until launch. So, the 500MB+ download size could be even bigger at launch.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89247109&postcount=253

Hmm, seems like maybe the update isn't exactly guaranteed to always be the same by the time specific people get their hands on an Xbox One, which is probably why it can't just be applied to every game released, or on a disc of some kind that's included in the box? MS is likely just continually working on things up to the very last minute, which pretty much makes including it with the system almost impossible, that is if they want the tightest possible control over what people's first ever experience with the system is like.

I can see that being it, and it's possibly for the best. The upside, I guess, is that it guarantees whatever update people get when they finally get around to picking up their systems is guaranteed to be whatever Microsoft has the most confidence in at the time.

So, in that sense, the 500MB+ update is more or less the system's operating system, and of course you can't use the system without that being in place.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89248180&postcount=279

I think this is just about making sure people have the absolute latest version of the OS, something Microsoft are far more comfortable with at release. I expect newly manufactured systems outside of the launch window will just work right out of the box. In a nutshell, I don't think this is a simple reversing of the previous policies patch. It's much more substantial.

Not surprised things spiraled out of control lol. The national media are amateurs who work only on a 24 hour news cycle. We top that by working on a by the hour news cycle, possibly even minutes. :)

Amir0x

Banned
lol, I kind of forget about that, being in 'merica.

Yeah, that seems kind of important 10 days from launch.

It's been bugging me for a while. It's pretty fucking anti-consumer to let potential buyers in any of these countries go in blind on that score, since such voice commands are part of the value proposition that people are seriously considering thanks to the price gap. Hope they smarten up and get it out

Personally, I won't be satisfied until Microsoft's code check-in logs are released to us, so I can know exactly what updates are being done during this prelaunch period, and review the code myself (I'm an expert). The customer has a right to this knowledge.

Penello, release the Team Foundation Server logs to consumers, or you can kiss a successful launch goodbye

Wow, we've crossed over into some other universe of comments now.

Based off the quote in post 1023 "After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again."

If that's true, and the Cloud actually being necessary for Forza to hit 1080p/60fps is true, then the above statement, and any statements about playing games offline, would have to be more like this:

After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game* without ever connecting online again.

*Some games will disable graphical/etc. effects when played offline

This relates to the thread since it's basically about whether or not games will all be totally playable offline (other than multiplayer/dlc/etc, obviously)

Even with the original plans that everyone hated, you could still be offline for 24hrs, so any "cloud computation" problems would still have to be accounted for. The DRM aspect of the Xbox One had nothing to do with the gameplay design of individual games

They're two separate issues.

viveks86

I figured it was something like this. I never thought the day one update was a simple removing of DRM. That guy never did actually get the true Day One update since the "Day One" update you get at launch is likely to be quite different from whatever he downloaded by the time the system officially launches. Microsoft are, as expected, continuing to work on it right up until launch. So, the 500MB+ download size could be even bigger at launch.

Not surprised things spiraled out of control lol. The national media are amateurs who work only on a 24 hour news cycle. We top that by working on a by the hour news cycle, possibly even minutes. :)

Show off! :p

Amir0x

Banned
I am however not surprised SenjutsuSage cannot read sarcasm.

DarkCloud said:
It's not an uncommon thing actually. It enforces everyone to be on latest code for testing/dev purposes.c

I know. I was just trying to ensure I was getting the story right since we've been through so many passes at it in this topic

imt558

Banned

You again?

It's not an uncommon thing actually. It enforces everyone to be on latest code for testing/dev purposes.

this is what happens when you peek behind the curtain when the show isn't ready to start. is it any wonder why companies like MS fight so hard to uphold the street date?

Yeah, I imagine it'd be pretty annoying to waste a programmer's time with bug reports on old builds.

"Stop spamming me with bug reports on your old ass build about shit that was already fixed today, fuck" - Bob the Stressed Out Crunching Programmer

And yes everyone, I was joking with my other post, lol.

PBY

Banned
What the hell is going on in here?

I think this thread ended up on a good note, we kept it civil/didn't spiral out of control like the other rumor threads. And we got a resolution and somewhat reasonable answer.

Good stuff, kept me up while I wrote this paper.

I am however not surprised SenjutsuSage cannot read sarcasm.

I know. I was just trying to ensure I was getting the story right since we've been through so many passes at it in this topic

Yea... some of the most sarcastic looking comments on GAF lately have actually been deadly serious, so it's no wonder it becomes difficult to tell the difference. ;)

WHEREVER THERE IS AN XBOX FIRE
WHEREVER THERE IS A BOT IN NEED
HE WILL BE THERE
LIKE A STAR IN THE NIGHT SKY
LIKE A RISING SUN IN THE EARLY MORNING SKY
HE WILL BE THERE

I take it you're disappointed the fire died this young? Looks like my work here is done. :p

tumblr_l373kb3S3G1qzexpio1_500.jpg

Top Bottom