• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival Announced (Wii U, Mario Party System, Holiday 2015)

_woLf

Why the fuck even bother. This is more insulting than it is desirable.

What a fucking waste of a great opportunity.

Reule

I may get it if impressions are that it's fun but that was pretty damn disappointing. I wanted Animal Crossing for Wii-U. I have feeling they're going to skip Wii-U and have it as a NX launch title or something.

Better make a bazillion amiibo of each character so I can at least find these things in store.

Mitsurux

Guys, if this ends up being Fortune Street x Animal Crossing I'm going to hunt down every one of you who says it's shit.

If it's Mario Party, you're all free to go.

From what was shown I got more Fortune Street vibes than Mario Party ones... seems way to early to discard it.... (But this is coming from someone who likes the genre)

woen

I went from AC WIUUUU
to AC WIIUUUTT WUTT WUTT

in 3 seconds.

Also, the visual style is terrible, mario kart 8 AC levels look better

animalcrossing.jpg

vs
18838452596_dd0c40079d_c.jpg

Yeah the visuals are from the DS/Wii1 era

Maengun1

This was the big slap to me... all I needed to be happy with that direct was one previously unannounced WiiU game that I could get excited over. Since we were 99% sure something new was coming for AC (the amiibo leak picture), I thought AC WiiU was the bare minimum.... but it's not even a "real" AC game. And I deluded myself into thinking we might get a real AC game plus 2 or 3 other new games. lol :(

I still play New Leaf more or less every single day, but I've really maxed it out and couldn't wait for the U version. Urgh.

I also really can't comprehend how this game could be amiibo REQUIRED when it's virtually impossible to find amiibo in a store. I literally have not seen 1 of the Smash Bros. wave 4 amiibos in stores. I got the ones I managed to pre-order and haven't seen another.

It's like they knew exactly what people wanted for their big franchises and thought "Hm... Nope."

It's like they can afford to do that with where they are though.

I'll be honest I;m glad its not like the other AC games. I didn't want to loose thousands of hours again. For this board game idea though, it's kinda eh. Don't like the fact it's Amiibo based and I doubt it's online. If I can play without amiibo and it does have online then I would buy it. I know it's not that though. ;(

KingBroly

Banned
This announcement legitimately made me angry. I would rather have a City Folk style cash grab of New Leaf than this. Why would ANYONE want another Mario Party game, especially after Nintendo already releasing 2 on Wii U already in Wii Party U and Mario Party 10.

My gut reaction was as follows: "Gross." I got the two amiibos I have as gifts and I still feel like I'm part of the problem here.

Honestly, though, if this game requires the Animal Crossing amiibos, many won't be able to play it. Those amiibos are gonna sell out regardless of how I feel. Even if the cards take up some of the slack, there's still the matter of whether the gameplay will be fun enough. Ugh.

Sterok

This hurt more than Metroid, and I barely even care about Animal Crossing. I understand and agree with the sentiment that mainline AC is better on the portable, but surely there had to have been something better than this.

Watching the trailer again, I actually have warmed up to the idea. It looks pretty fun actually, in an oldschool boardgame kind of way.

I just hope it's not too dependent on amiibos. It's crazy expensive just to keep up, and the scarcity of so many of them makes it not the most enjoyable hobby.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Can't wait for the sequel to start using the Mario Party Car system.

(The one nice thing is seeing classic Mario Party system is still alive)

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
AC is already goofy.

tumblr_momny5ZJOZ1sw5rnlo1_400.jpg

Not really on topic, but I took this picture lol. I'm the Samus there.

On topic, the start of the footage with Isabelle, KK Slider, etc walking down was exciting. Then they kept going and that enthusiasm died quickly.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I'll still count it as okay if they throw in a pack of amiibo cards for free to make it playable.

My big worry is that they make it possible to buy/get the game without the content necessary to actually play it.
Looks like they're bundling the game with Isabelle and Digby plus three cards.

OXnTxwN.png

Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival: Animal Crossing amiibo figures and cards get their own party game. Players are challenged to collect the most Happy Points by the end of a dynamic board game. The board layout can remain the same, but the spaces and even the environment change, depending on which month players choose for their game. As in other Animal Crossing games, players can buy turnips and use strategy to decide when to sell them for big money. Scheduled to launch during the 2015 holiday season, Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival will launch as a bundle that includes the game, two amiibo figures and three amiibo cards.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...c-Franchises-Give-Players-Unique#.VYB_U6Zv22w

Grizzo

That looks awful. Like Fortune Street but with even less action. Great job Nintendo.

That being said, it doesn't bother me much, since I was hoping the next real Animal Crossing sequel would be released on an handheld system.

People joke, but this might actually be the best way to handle the series instead of trying to make the console and handheld entries the same. That didn't work out well for City Folk, which was essentially Wild World on Wii.

With the console games being party games going forward, people are free to ignore them and just continue buying the superior handheld games.

Instead, Nintendo should consider adding the GC game to the GC virtual console whenever they decide to release it... IF they even release it. The GC game is the best console entry while New Leaf is the best handheld entry.

This isn't on the same level of the Metroid disappointment because at least we have New Leaf, which was only released a couple years ago. The last Metroid game released was Other M in 2010, but the last one to receive mostly positive reception was Prime 3 in 2007 (not counting the Trilogy release in 2009).

So for those disappointed, just look at it as you being able to save $60 for what would have ultimately just been New Leaf without the portability factor. :p

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Maybe the game has more depth to it...

I mean, Happy Home looked pretty basic when it was first revealed but today's trailer showed it had way more depth to it and now I'm kind of interested in it.

They GOTTA have some sort of mini-games in this, though?

deleted

This looks worse than the Wii U plaza demo, right?

It is pretty amazing how Nintendo didn't see that this was their final nail in the coffin of people's perception of their conference. It's not only not the game people want and expect, it's the third Spin Off announced of games that would really benefit from a new mainline Wii U title during their conference.

People joke, but this might actually be the best way to handle the series instead of trying to make the console and handheld entries the same. That didn't work out well for City Folk, which was essentially Wild World on Wii.

They should use the Monster Hunter formula. Make a new console game and use that as a base for the next handheld one, not the other way around.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
It's not like Mario Party / Wii Party at all. It looks like an actual board game, where you encounter events and points based on where you land.

Looks really pointless!

Dreavus

This kind of looks like fortune street without the property or stock buying. There's got to be more to this than what's being shown in that trailer!

watershed

Banned
Well, maybe its a good thing that a mainline AC is skipping the WiiU. That means the development team will have plenty of time to make AC NX early in it's life.

Wow, that comparison between MK AC stage and AC:AF is staggering :(

Velcro Fly

this would have been acceptable as part of animal crossing wii u even with needing to buy amiibo and winning a nominal amount of bells and getting to hang out with characters you normally don't get to

as it's own game it's the worst part of amiibo and the worst part of modern gaming mixed into one stinky pile of shit

Shauni

If this game is more like Classic Mario Party, I could see myself getting it. But I don't know much about this Fortune Street thing

kunonabi

Who asked for this?

I know that Mario Party sold well despite its quality, but still ...

Me. I'm actually not that big a fan of actually playing the mainline games and Home Designer and this are both more appealing. Animal Crossing is better suited for handhelds and a Wii U AC would probably just turn out like City Folk anyway. If this actually does play more like Fortune Street than that is just icing on the cake.

Pizza

I was bummed out until I realized that board spaces had diary pages that described why you gained/lost money. Idk, seems silly. It'll be even better if there's minigames and doublebetter if you can use the much-cheaper amiibo cards. Since you'd have to buy one whole pack and you're set for the game

Top Bottom