• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay offers U$589 worth of games based on current market value

Salty Hippo

Credit goes to user Jeff from the DK Vine forums.

Jetpac (~$7 on Amazon/Ebay, no manual, Spectrum cartridge)
Atic Atac (~$11 on Amazon/Ebay, no manual, Spectrum cartridge)
Lunar Jetman (~$10 on Amazon/Ebay, no manual, Spectrum cartridge)
Sabre Wulf (~$10 on Amazon/Ebay, no manual, Spectrum cartridge)
Underwurlde (~$11 on Amazon/Ebay, no manual, Spectrum cartridge)
Knight Lore (~$13 on Amazon/Ebay, no manual, Spectrum cartridge)
Gunfright (~$13 on Amazon/Ebay, no manual, Spectrum cartridge)
Slalom (~$6 on Amazon/Ebay, no manual, NES cartridge)
R.C. Pro-Am (~$7 on Amazon/Ebay, no manual, NES cartridge)
Battletoads (NES) (~$25 on Amazon/Ebay, no manual, NES cartridge)
Cobra Triangle (~$6 on Amazon/Ebay, no manual, NES cartridge)
Snake Rattle N Roll (~$8 on Amazon/Ebay, no manual, NES cartridge)
Digger T. Rock (~$11 on Amazon/Ebay, no manual, NES cartridge)
Solar Jetman (~$5 on Amazon/Ebay, no manual, NES cartridge)
R.C. Pro-Am II (~$70 used on Amazon/Ebay, no manual, NES cartridge)
Battletoads Arcade (I can't find a cabinet for sale, anywhere, however, there is ONE seller parting with a board only, for $100. 1.)
Killer Instinct Gold (~$20 on Amazon/Ebay, used, no manual, N64 cartridge)
Blast Corps (~$8 on Amazon/Ebay, used, no manual, N64 cartridge)
Banjo-Kazooie ($14.99 on Xbox Marketplace 2.)
Jet Force Gemini (~$8 on Amazon/Ebay, used, no manual, N64 cartridge)
Perfect Dark ($9.99 on Xbox Marketplace)
Banjo-Tooie ($14.99 on Xbox Marketplace)
Conker’s Bad Fur Day (~$95 on Amazon/Ebay, used, no manual, N64 cartridge)
Grabbed by the Ghoulies ($9.99 on Xbox Marketplace)
Perfect Dark Zero ($14.99 on Xbox Marketplace
Kameo: Elements of Power ($9.99 on Xbox Marketplace)
Viva Piñata ($14.99 on Xbox Marketplace)
Jetpac Refuelled ($4.99 on Xbox Marketplace)
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts ($14.99 on Xbox Marketplace)
Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise ($14.99 on Xbox Marketplace)

1. This means it's just a circuit board with none of the cabinet stuff you actually NEED to be able to play the game. Though it seems you could buy the rest for an additional $20, you would still need the requisite knowledge to be able to install a board into a cabinet, not to mention the actual time-cost of that additional labor)

2. I could be wrong, but my instinct is to say that each one of these games listed on the Xbox Marketplace are in fact only available for download on the Xbox 360, not the One, which may change with the backwards compatibility stuff- if anyone else can clarify, it'd be appreciated.

Total price to purchase each game separately: ~$589.
Additional, subjective value/costs:
=There is an added value in convenience. To purchase all 30 games separately, not only would that account for a massive inconvenience in tracking down and dealing with awaiting shipping packages for each game individually (shipping cost was factored into my price estimates however), but it would also be a massive inconvenience in the necessity to both own and operate at least 5 different consoles (the cost of which is not factored in, but I assume most of us don't own a ZX Spectrum, which is far from free). I won't attach a monetary value to these inconveniences, but to me, they are substantial. The Battletoads Arcade situation itself is a huge pickle.
=Updating: these games are remastered ports, and will end up running much better on the Xbox One than they did in their native format. Ghoulies is in 1080p at 60 fps, as an example, and beyond software updating, there's the physical bonus of playing on a better controller on a console compatible with a modern HD tv.
=Snapshots: everything up to the N64 era has Snapshot challenges, which is additional content easily worth unto itself a solid fraction of the original games value.
=Behind the Scenes content: Documentary coverage of every game. This is substantial.
=The menu/interface itself: Muppet Theatre styled Rare theming throughout the games UI.

Estimated final value: Depending on your situation, which consoles you may own and which you may not, what your technical proficiency is in assembling your own arcade cabinet, how feasible it is for you to keep many consoles across many eras within reach and how much you value the inconvenience of swapping them out, etc etc etc, in addition to the substantial bonus features, I could easily see this collection reaching the value of around $1000. Plus, this has the added benefit of reintroducing all these games into the Zeitgeist. Jesus fuck.

http://www.dkvine.com/interactive/forums/index.php?showtopic=10905&st=150&p=395699&#entry395699

Absolutely insane. I'm still stunned that they priced this at 30 bucks. Either Microsoft has very little faith in the value of these games or they're intentionally charging peanuts in order to give these IPs some mind share within the Xbox audience. I hope it's the latter, and I hope it's some kind of plan to bring these franchises back in the near future.

I'm disappointed wizards and Warriors wasn't brought over.

That was my shit. That was before Rare became N64 Rare, but after the shovelware titles.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Are these confirmed to be upgraded in any way? Dying to replay Get Force Gemini but don't know if I can handle that N64 powerpoint framerate

Courage

Wasn't a Rare guy growing up so this will give me a chance to play most of their catalog. Probably gonna start out with Conker since I like its style based on what I've seen.

Kssio_Aug

Conker’s Bad Fur Day
Kameo: Elements of Power
Perfect Dark
Perfect Dark Zero
Banjo-Tooie
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Viva Piñata
Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise

Those are the ones that interest me! I'll get the collection only for them!

The market value is determined by rarity, not by quality alone
It literally means nothing

This. The price you're paying for is the rarity of owning the physical media. Final Fantasy VII is like $5 on PSN, but can run you $80-$100 for a physical copy with the black label.

jimi_dini

You can get Zak McKracken FM Towns for a few bucks on GOG.
But it's still insanely expensive when you want an actual physical copy, you know?

Same is true for all sorts of games. Some physical copies are extremely rare, which is why they fetch high prices.

Raven77

It's the single greatest game deal on one disc ever offered in my opinion. You're talking hundreds if not thousands of hours worth of gaming with unmatched variety.

This is my most anticipated game of the past 10 years. I will cherish my copy and am even thinking of getting that "R" logo with the characters in it tatooed onto me...

HOWEVER, the absolute best part about this, undeniably the BEST part is that it will introduce 1-2 generations of younger gamers to these classics and hopefully instill in them a love and appreciation for them that will allow more games like the ones on this disc to be supported by the gaming community into the future.

(if you can't tell by now I am a bit of a Rare fan...)

Earthbound on the Wii U offers $700 (cheapest Amazon price) worth of content (cartridge w/ guide) for only $10.

I hate judging value like this, though I don't think anybody would dispute that Rare Replay for $30 is a great deal.

Not to be the guy that complains about having more content (and I don't have an XB1 anyway), but kind of wonder what this will do—psychologically speaking—to our ability to actually finish any given game in the collection. How many people will really be able to play and appreciate any given game in here?

(I'm not saying Microsoft has done a bad thing, I just... wonder.)

Earthbound on the Wii U offers $700 worth of content (cartridge w/ guide) for only $10.

I hate judging value like this, though I don't think anybody would dispute that Rare Replay for $30 is a great deal.

Even if you make a tally with the digital sales prices, it's still an incredible value.

Fox Mulder

People likely wont put much into the pre n64 games, apart from battletoads probably.

I would have been happy with just the two xbla Banjo Kazooie games ported over or just Conker. The whole package is a great deal.

Salty Hippo

The market value is determined by rarity, not by quality alone
It literally means nothing

And...?

Before this collection, paying all that money was the only way to play all these games, and it's being offered now for 30 bucks. I don't know what the rarity factor has to do with the point of this thread.

Battletoads. That game will be our war story we'll tell our grandchildren, how hard gaming was back then.

Guess most people will try Battletoads exactly one time and then they'll try to forget. As if they could.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Yeah basing this list on the rarity of the physical media doesn't make any sense, but it's obviously still a great value. Looking forward to it!

And...?

Before this collection, paying all that money was the only way to play all these games, and it's being offered now for 30 bucks. I don't know what the rarity factor has to do with the point of this thread.
There are some very expensive games in there which kind of skew the result, and the digital ones have probably been available for much cheaper.

Not saying it isn't a great collection, but trying to apply some huge dollar value to it based on "market value" is very misleading.

mclem

Spectrum cartridge?!? The Speccy used cassettes!

(Also, a Spectrum may be far from free, but Amstrad have been very reasonable about allowing the ROMs to be used in emulators, so there's nothing wrong with emulating them... except, of course, for the small fact that Ultimate are one of the few major companies who haven't permitted their games to be released for free for emulation purposes)

GHG

Conker’s Bad Fur Day
Kameo: Elements of Power
Perfect Dark
Perfect Dark Zero
Banjo-Tooie
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Viva Piñata
Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise

Those are the ones that interest me! I'll get the collection only for them!

Ditto.

Basically the 3d era stuff.

linid0t

Earthbound Beginnings offers literally thousands of dollars worth of game that is almost impossible to legally acquire for under 10 USD!!!!

Ushay

Brilliant package. Well worth the value, man I still wish MS had Banjo sequel (or a platformer) in the works..

Shauni

I was never big into Rare, even back in their golden years, but they still made some good games, so I'll pick this up. Going to wait and try and get it for $20, though. Because 30 games for $30 is great, but 30 for $20 is even better.

herod

And...?

at the end of it you'd still have $589 minimum of stuff to sell.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
And...?

So do you literally not understand that there's a difference between having an extremely rare piece of physical media that is a collectors item (that you can resell) and having a $30 disc that anyone can buy at Wal Mart or are you just being facetious?

Caronte

Except it doesn't. Those games are worth that because they are physical copies for collectors. The games themselves aren't worth that.

Shiggy

Must be an even higher value, I'd say $10000 as the games listed in the OP are used versions.

is this thread meant seriously?

Top Bottom