• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay offers U$589 worth of games based on current market value

mclem

OP - or rather, person OP is quoting - puts me in mind of:

2ma4W9n.jpg

"But wait, there's more! That's a total of $589 worth of value for only $29.99!"

Gestault

The price of an original physical release shouldn't be compared to a re-release this way. I mean, if someone wants to play some of these games, yes, it would have previously required paying the market price for them, but it's not the same. This collection ranks up there with the Ultimate Genesis Collection in terms of value, there's no need to oversell it.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I'm thinking I should buy this just based on the principle of having all these games at such a ridiculously good price.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Actually OP's topic does make sense. The hate that OP gets from salty users in here doesn't make a ton of sense.

it's obviously still a great value. Looking forward to it!

Yeah man here I am hatin', ready for that preorder. Pointing out that this isn't a great way to quantify the (awesome) value of the collection doesn't make anyone "salty" or a "hater".

Alphahawk

It gets kinda dicey near the end where you quot Xbox Marketplace prices. I can go to a GameStop and pretty much pay half of that for anything listed on that storefront.

OP - or rather, person OP is quoting - puts me in mind of:

"But wait, there's more! That's a total of $589 worth of value for only $29.99!"

Exactly. I'm not sure how the worth of a game affects someone's ability to enjoy playing that game. I mean, a turd's still a turd regardless of how much it's worth.

Salty Hippo

So do you literally not understand that there's a difference between having an extremely rare piece of physical media that is a collectors item (that you can resell) and having a $30 disc that anyone can buy at Wal Mart or are you just being facetious?

I understand that. What you and many others here don't understand is the point of the thread. I didn't say or imply that you will buy a 30 dollar disc and have it be worth almost 600 bucks. I'm not saying the collection is a 1:1 replacement for the physical copies in terms of value. It's just a curiosity thing about how much people had to shell out to play these games legitimately before the collection was announced. That's it. Jesus, you people love to go nuts over fucking nothing.

It gets kinda dicey near the end where you quot Xbox Marketplace prices. I can go to a GameStop and pretty much pay half of that for anything listed on that storefront.

The collection will include the digital-only XBLA remastered versions of B-K, B-T and PD. You can only buy that in half in a XBLA deal of the week sort of thing.

Red Hood

Banned
If they can somehow make them all 60fps that would be perfect (though I'm aware it's hard if not impossible to do that without rewriting the code).

Not saying it isn't a great collection, but trying to apply some huge dollar value to it based on "market value" is very misleading.

Misleading? To whom? What?

It's just a fun exercise to compare. Serious business though I guess.

I understand that. What you and many others here don't understand is the point of the thread. I didn't say or imply that you will buy a 30 dollar disc and have it be worth almost 600 bucks. I'm not saying the collection is a 1:1 replacement for the physical copies in terms of value. It's just a curiosity thing about how much people had to shell out to play these games legitimately before the collection was announced. That's it. Jesus, you people love to go nuts over fucking nothing.

I did a "Hmmm... that's interesting. That's cool." Which I think is what the OP is going for. A sensible chuckle.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider

You're not wrong, my involvement in this thread is 95% study procrastination. I was definitely too litigious. My apologies.

MrChom

....Value is what someone else is willing to pay, the topic/opening post is basically meaningless.

It's nice that people will now get a chance to play some of these games at reasonable prices all in one place.

I won't be bothering as I've played most of them before and don't need to ;)

Like the PS+ value thread, this is pointless.

Sure, you could make a somewhat hollow argument that they are worth that much, but if you're realistic, they are only worth the price they are being sold in the collection and not a penny more.

Just like the PS+ games are only worth the price of a subscription and not a penny more.

Hasney

Looking at the list for the first time, it's a shame they didn't get the KI1 & 2 arcade games in there. Love them much more than Gold.

The market value is determined by rarity, not by quality alone
It literally means nothing

Eh, not exactly. I follow the NES and SNES markets pretty closely and I can tell you that prices aren't tied solely to rarity. There are games that have sold millions of copies that sell for $30 or more, such as Contra or Mega Man 2/3. Those are just good games, period, that people want to play. And they're as common as a cold.

It's not exactly a one-to-one comparison but tallies like this do show why retro compilations are nice to have. We simply don't get enough of these any more.

Alphahawk

The collection will include the digital-only XBLA remastered versions of B-K, B-T and PD. You can only buy that in half in a XBLA deal of the week sort of thing.

Yeah, I understand that but Kameo, PDZero, Nuts and Bolts and both Viva Pinata games can be found on disc for a much lower price.

Sabre Wulf
R.C. Pro-Am
Battletoads (NES)
Battletoads Arcade
Blast Corps
Banjo-Kazooie
Jet Force Gemini
Perfect Dark
Banjo-Tooie
Conker’s Bad Fur Day
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Jetpac Refuelled
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

I'm interested in all of these games. I'm super excited for this game and I'm going to get it digitally.

Crema

How about this OP, if you just include the Nintendo games sold at Virtual console rates, it would still cost over $100.

watership

The market value is determined by rarity, not by quality alone
It literally means nothing

Yet if you decided you wanted all this games, and you went out to get them, this is the approximate cost (if those estimates are accurate). So that means something.

(Well it means nothing since in a bit it'll be $30.)

Zach

Now here's what I'd be willing to pay for each of these games:

Jetpac ($1)
Atic Atac ($1)
Lunar Jetman ($1)
Sabre Wulf ($1)
Underwurlde ($1)
Knight Lore ($1)
Gunfright ($1)
Slalom ($1)
R.C. Pro-Am ($5)
Battletoads (NES) ($3)
Cobra Triangle ($2)
Snake Rattle N Roll ($1)
Digger T. Rock ($1)
Solar Jetman ($1)
R.C. Pro-Am II ($5)
Battletoads Arcade ($3)
Killer Instinct Gold ($2)
Blast Corps ($3)
Banjo-Kazooie ($2)
Jet Force Gemini ($3)
Perfect Dark ($2)
Banjo-Tooie ($2)
Conker’s Bad Fur Day ($5)
Grabbed by the Ghoulies ($2)
Perfect Dark Zero ($2)
Kameo: Elements of Power ($3)
Viva Piñata ($3)
Jetpac Refuelled ($2)
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts ($3)
Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise ($3)

Total: $66.00

Good deal still checks out. :D

Xiraiya

Is the version of Conker in that collection uncut? They didn't remove anything?

It's the single greatest game deal on one disc ever offered in my opinion. You're talking hundreds if not thousands of hours worth of gaming with unmatched variety.

This is my most anticipated game of the past 10 years. I will cherish my copy and am even thinking of getting that "R" logo with the characters in it tatooed onto me...

HOWEVER, the absolute best part about this, undeniably the BEST part is that it will introduce 1-2 generations of younger gamers to these classics and hopefully instill in them a love and appreciation for them that will allow more games like the ones on this disc to be supported by the gaming community into the future.

(if you can't tell by now I am a bit of a Rare fan...)
Sir, I respect your opinion and I have absolutely no reason to think you might be biased.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I actually think it's a really bad idea not to offer a kids-friendly version of the game. Perfect Dark, Perfect Dark Zero, Killer Instinct, Conker's BFD and Killer Instinct 2 ensure that this will be M / PEGI 18 / USK 18 (if it even gets released in Germany, because KI2 is indexed here). This is a bit of a problem if they want to introduce young players to the franchises, even though this collection, outside of those few games, is perfect for children. Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Nuts & Bolts, the Pinata games, Kameo, Blast Corps, what better package could you gift your child? If I had a child, I'd hope I could get a version of the game without the brutal games in it.

EDIT: The Conker version is uncut in the sense that they did not remove anything from the released N64 version. That version was not really uncut though, at least in the It's War chapter.

I wish that they included both versions of Conker, just for the hell of it. Also, if we buy the game digitally it will just be one Rare Replay tile, correct? and not 30 individual game tiles?

Now here's what I'd be willing to pay for each of these games:

Good deal still checks out. :D

Jetpac ($0)
Atic Atac ($0)
Lunar Jetman ($0)
Sabre Wulf ($0)
Underwurlde ($0)
Knight Lore ($0)
Gunfright ($0)
Slalom ($0)
R.C. Pro-Am ($0)
Battletoads (NES) ($1)
Cobra Triangle ($0)
Snake Rattle N Roll ($0)
Digger T. Rock ($0)
Solar Jetman ($0)
R.C. Pro-Am II ($0)
Battletoads Arcade ($1)
Killer Instinct Gold ($0)
Blast Corps ($0)
Banjo-Kazooie ($3)
Jet Force Gemini ($0)
Perfect Dark ($1)
Banjo-Tooie ($3)
Conker’s Bad Fur Day ($7)
Grabbed by the Ghoulies ($15)
Perfect Dark Zero ($1)
Kameo: Elements of Power ($1)
Viva Piñata ($5)
Jetpac Refuelled ($0)
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts ($5)
Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise ($5)

Total: $48.00

Not bad.

8bit

Knows the Score
Man, those Ultimate games were pretty punishing to complete 30 years ago. Don't imagine there will be a lot of folk getting the full gamerscore on this.

--

Hey, just a moment. Where is Alien-8?

Top Bottom