• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchford: Fans wrong to sue Gearbox over Aliens: Colonial Marines

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://www.destructoid.com/pitchfor...box-over-aliens-colonial-marines-295732.phtml

Gearbox head Randy Pitchford has no qualms with expressing how he thought that lawsuit was frivolous. In a recent interview with GamesIndustry International, Pitchford says "That whole thing was a huge waste of time. The legal system failed as it was being manipulated by what appeared to me to be, essentially, mafia-style extortion tactics."

He continued "Sadly, the manipulation would have actually worked, as it had in other cases with those same guys and to the detriment of the industry and gamers and actual, you know, justice. But, those guys made a mistake in naming us as defendants because we stood up to them. That's all it took -- someone to stand up to them. And so they lost since they didn't have a legitimate case."

Pitchford also expressed that he believes that the market should judge a product, not the legal system. He believes it worked in the case of Aliens: Colonial Marines, as he said "The market proved it was doing its job perfectly. The market is dispassionate -- rewarding what it likes and punishing what it doesn't. There is an objectivity and fairness in the open market's harsh, firm justice."

What's left unanswered is Pitchford's intention with regard to the free market quote. It's up to interpretation whether he means that Colonial Marines was bad and the market reacted accordingly, or that general interest in the Aliens franchise was too low and that's why the game didn't succeed. Regardless of Pitchford's thoughts, he's right about one thing: the market wasted no time doling out harsh and firm justice, forever cementing the legacy of Aliens: Colonial Marines.

He might be right that taking the legal way was exagerrated and disproportion to the situation. But, it still doesn't change that they used a false representation to market their product, setting certain expectations, which was far away from the finished product.

MMaRsu

Banned
Wow Randy still not stepping up and apologizing for this bullshit game. Still not buying any Gearbox products. Deceiving not only the public but journalists too how had to cover basically nothing and got sent to a press trip at Gearbox and sat in the lunchroom for hours cause they had jack shit to show. And Pitchford just stayed in his office the entire time.

Screw you Pitchford.

Phased

I think it was a bit of an overreaction to sue them, even if it was more than a little shady how he specifically marketed the game using faked gameplay footage.

They're just lucky Steam Refunds were still a couple years away. Haven't seen Gearbox do anything besides Borderlands right. This incident specifically is what made me stop preordering games.

KAP151

Zero sympathy for Gearbox here. The game stunk to high heavens and it was a flat out lie in almost every regard.

SJRB

Gold Member
Does he seriously not get it and is he just daft or what?

The guy's train of thought is bizarre.

This is the guy who probably thought Duke Nukem Forever was in a fit state to put out...

Randy needs to get his head out of his arse and actually see that the game was being falsely represented in adverts and other media. I seem to recall the UK trailer was changed to say the video was not representative of the final product - If even SEGA were admitting that there was some form of wrongdoing then Pitchford has no leg to stand on.

What other route is there for people to take when they can't really snap back at the company for flagrant abuse of trust?

You can barely get a proper refund these days for a game, let alone have a company properly hear you.

Pitchford can ram it.

Moff

luckily I never really liked borderlands that much so I have not problem to ever buy again from gearbox after duke and aliens. terrible company.

Dryk

How is it his fault that people buy shitty license games? Should Sega be sued for every Sonic game of the last 10 years?
I'm not saying they should be sued because lots of people bought their shitty game. I'm saying that his belief that it's justice comes off as really dumb. Especially in the face of them flat-out lying to people in order to sell it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is the guy who probably thought Duke Nukem Forever was in a fit state to put out...

If memory serves, 2K just hired Gearbox to stitch together what 3D Realms had to show for itself after many years of development and multiple restarts. In other words, it got tired of waiting and simply wanted something out the door as soon as reasonably possible.

"to the detriment of the industry and gamers"

picardWTF.jpg

So was it ever revealed just how much involvement Gearbox had with the single player? Was it nearly entirely outsourced to TimeGate or did Gearbox put out one of the worst games ever after being given 5 years+ to make it?

Im confused by this quote

he believes that the market should judge a product, not the legal system

But if you bought that game most retailers did not let you return it. So what recourse do we have as customers after we judge this game?

If memory serves, 2K just hired Gearbox to stitch together what 3D Realms had to show for itself after many years of development and multiple restarts. In other words, it got tired of waiting and simply wanted something out the door as soon as reasonably possible.

Yes, you're completely right, Jase. How could I forget!

Videogames are an industry that fights tooth and nail against refunds, so what other options are left when the product you bought isn't the one that was advertised?

Hate this man so much. He robbed his customers and got away with it.

Im confused by this quote

But if you bought that game most retailers did not let you return it. So what recourse do we have as customers after we judge this game?
You should use pre-release footage and marketing material to decide whether the game is worth it before you bu-

oh

Even if - and I'm not saying they are - his thoughts here are right, it all boils down to one thing: They lied about what the game was and released an enormously shitty and broken game to their fans.

That's a dicked up thing to do. Just do this once and all of the trust you've built up is completely gone and your company is perceived as being dickbutts, since you took people's money without really earning it.

I never liked Gearbox's output. I always thought they're kinda making half-assed things. Then Borderlands came out and it was surprisingly fun, even after that crazy development it went through. I became a Gearbox fan, cause they finally released a great game. Then that whole Alien thing happened and they're in the gutter again.

End of story: Still bought Borderlands 2, but didn't like it. Not that interested in buying any more stuff from them.

A bit of decency and honesty goes a looong way: If they'd keep in touch with their fans and tell them straight out what's going on at the studio and be honest with their fans even if they do make mistakes, it'd be much easier to forgive them, but no, Pitchford always comes off as somewhat sleazy and kinda feels to me like the weird insurance guy who really wants to sell you something you don't really want.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Kinda happy that Battleborn looks so horrible, so I won't be tempted to spend another dime on a Gearbox game.

Fucking scumbag.

Denton

I only played the fully patched up PC version with the expansion, they actually did decent job post-release to get it into decent shape. I had fun with it, although obviously Alien Isolation destroys it, quality-wise.

But the statements in OP are just bizzare, what the hell is he thinking ?

CHC

He's definitely wrong to not have at least apologized in some form by now.

He's definitely NOT wrong in saying that the lawsuit was a giant waste of time. I really think the court system should be reserved for serious grievances only - things that affect people's lives in a meaningful way. This was, after all, just a shitty game and nothing more. No one lost their home by buying it, no one got sick and died from it, etc. At worst you lost 60 bucks. Definitely not worth the hassle in court.

In the end though, Pitchford really should just keep his mouth shut. No good seems to ever come from his words.

Enthus

It's a shame that this garbage game effected the series as a whole. We probably won't see another game in this universe for a while after this failure and Isolation underperforming.

Aegus

Gearbox owned the franchise and went to 2K about publishing. It's entirely on Gearbox.

Top Bottom