• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So besides the mysterious possible Zygarde forme, there's a new Pokemon too?

ash_ag

Cute. Thanks to Joe and his friend for the sketch.

This definitely looks like a new Pokémon. I can see three possibilities:
  • They add the 722nd Pokémon in the final Gen 6 game, even if it isn't in the data of XY and ORAS.
  • Gen 7 is upon us. Unresolved Kalos issues could be handled in it via including Kalos as a second region à la GSC -- would be easy if they use the same engine.
  • Game Freak does something different once again, and we get something that could be described as "Gen 6.5": a small amount of new Pokémon and technical updates, but still remaining in Gen 6.

Nightbird

• They add the 722nd Pokémon in the final Gen 6 game, even if it isn't in the data of XY and ORAS.
    [*]Gen 7 is upon us. Unresolved Kalos issues could be handled in it via including Kalos as a second region à la GSC -- would be easy if they use the same engine.
    [*]Game Freak does something different once again, and we get something that could be described as "Gen 6.5": a small amount of new Pokémon and technical updates, but still remaining in Gen 6.

I like those two Ideas the most

JoeM86

Friend also pointed out pulsating hexagons on the big kaiju-esque monster in the trailer. We all know what that means.

Mega Cryogonal of course :p

Na, safe bet on Zygarde for that.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

And so the lower half of Kalos got split off.

See this is why legendaries should take care of their health.

Friend also pointed out pulsating hexagons on the big kaiju-esque monster in the trailer. We all know what that means.

Mega Cryogonal of course :p

Na, safe bet on Zygarde for that.

Now people shouldn't question the glowing Zygarde crotch.

Razmos

• Gen 7 is upon us. Unresolved Kalos issues could be handled in it via including Kalos as a second region à la GSC -- would be easy if they use the same engine.
    [*]Game Freak does something different once again, and we get something that could be described as "Gen 6.5": a small amount of new Pokémon and technical updates, but still remaining in Gen 6.
I've been thinking this since the beginning of Gen 6, what with the relatively low number of pokemon, very few legendaries, and the hints of another region.

My original thought was that they would do an expansion and add new pokemon in a "Gen 6.5" style, as you mentioned. That's not likely to happen now, but the fact they can add new Mega Evolutions to the same gen suggests that they can add pokemon too.

Right. With all this info, I'm leaning towards this being a new Pokemon entirely; the design doesn't seem to have anything to do with Zygarde beyond a similar shade of green, and it doesn't really bear much resemblance to anything else that could be getting a new forme or a Mega.

As for the identity of this new Pokemon... Well, we don't have much info at all, but it's been revealed in a very similar manner to Victini after the Zoroark movie, which suggests that it might have a fair bit of significance in the next movie. Perhaps it's Gen VII's first Mythical Legendary? This, however, is complicated a bit by the fact that we haven't actually officially seen all of the Gen VI Pokémon; we can probably assume that Volcanion is likely to turn up in this movie, unless they give it an anime arc like Meloetta had. If it is in the next movie, I'd be surprised if they were introducing two Mythical Pokémon at once, meaning that our little blob might just be a run-of-the-mill teaser Pokémon, like Munchlax or Kecleon before him.

As for Gen VII itself... Well, it never does to assume that Game Freak won't disappoint us in this area, but they have to be as aware as we are that the 3DS is on the skids by this point. I can definitely see us getting XY2 in February, complete with the new Zygarde forme we see in the trailer, and I'm pretty damned certain that that'll be the last 3DS RPG that we'll get. I had thought that we wouldn't see Gen VII on the NX until at least Autumn 2017, but if they're already teasing it, Spring of that year could definitely be on the table still.

Exciting times, though, and the hype train is starting up far earlier than I expected it to!

Watch the blob just be a Zygarde forme now. :/
why do you guys think the next gen will not be on the 3DS? i don't think GF has any fucks to give about the NX.

The handheld SKU will assuredly be along to replace the 3DS next year, and I could see Game Freak wanting to get in on the ground floor after the troubles they had with the 3DS.

You can't really compare keeping Black and White on the DS to keeping Gen VII on the 3DS. The 3DS is nowhere near as strong as the DS was towards the end of its life, and it'll be an irrelevance in the market by the time 2017 rolls around. Again, wouldn't necessarily put it past GF, but the situation is notably different this time.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Looking at these new pics and I've made comments about Pokemon looking a bit like Digimon in the past (Although Digimon are A LOT more over-designed/complicated than Pokemon) but this new one with the fan drawings makes it look like something straight outta Youkai Watch.

... Gamefreak wants that Youkai Watch money.

JoeM86

Looking at these new pics and I've made comments about Pokemon looking a bit like Digimon in the past (Although Digimon are A LOT more over-designed/complicated than Pokemon) but this new one with the fan drawings makes it look like something straight outta Youkai Watch.

... Gamefreak wants that Youkai Watch money.

It looks nothing like anything from Yo-kai Watch o,o

Mr-Joker

Banned
AHHH it's happening!!!

Can't wait to see it get officially shown off.

A part of me hopes that Pokémon Z will be gen 6.5 and that we will get the rest of the gen 6 Pokémon as Kalos had the lowest count.

But either way bring on Pokémon Z!! <(^_^)>

Mega Evos indeed count as new Pokémon, so XY actually introduced 100 new Pokémon total. ORAS added another 21 so gen VI has already introduced a whopping 121 new Pokémon so far, more than gen II and IV. And now another 2 new ones that have been teased. Gen VI just keeps on giving <3

No X and Y only introduced 72 new Pokémon, mega do not and will not count as new Pokémon as they are form change.

So no gen 6 does not keep on giving.

Too bad it couldn't be bothered to give dex entries

You don't give form change dex entries.

Nightbird

No X and Y only introduced 72 new Pokémon, mega do not and will not count as new Pokémon as they are form change.

So no gen 6 does not keep on giving.

You don't give form change dex entries.

Yep, Megas are new Pokémon in the same Form Sky-Shaymin or Resolute-Keldeo are

Spoiler: They are not.

Green and Red? Those were the same colours for Act IV of the Mega special.

97637d1427133734-pokemon-xy-strongest-mega-evolution-act-iv-frlg.png

Possible tie in? At the same time, Both Volcanion and Zygarde are green/red as well but I think there'll get more focus in the movie rather than half-hour specials.

Yeah. Mega Evolutions are essentially un-numbered new Pokémon. They require the same design work, care and attention to balance as new Pokémon.

When it comes to the meta-game and multiplayer, I agree 100%. However, I disagree in regards to the single player. Many of the Megas are walled off until after you complete the main story, meaning that many of the 'new Pokemon' are unavailable for most of the game. Functionally, you have about 75 new Pokemon, the smallest amount for any generation, in a region with the largest Regional Dex in the series, which I personally think results in Kalos having a poor sense of identity. It's a region where most of the Pokemon available are ones that we've seen before. Having new numbered Pokemon would alleviate that at least a little bit.

• Game Freak does something different once again, and we get something that could be described as "Gen 6.5": a small amount of new Pokémon and technical updates, but still remaining in Gen 6.

OR
  • The final Gen VI game comes out in February 2016, before this movie and then Gen VII starts in early 2017.

When they're this drastic, you should.

A lot of Megas could easily pass as actual evolutions too. Hell, every single Mega is a more drastic change than Poliwhirl to Poliwrath.
I legitimately would like it if in Gen VII between Gen VI's Pokemon and Gen VII's they give all the current Megas actual dex numbers and entries, then any new Megas would be added to the dex after Gen VII's Pokemon.

JoeM86

When it comes to the meta-game and multiplayer, I agree 100%. However, I disagree in regards to the single player. Many of the Megas are walled off until after you complete the main story, meaning that many of the 'new Pokemon' are unavailable for most of the game. Functionally, you have about 75 new Pokemon, the smallest amount for any generation, in a region with the largest Regional Dex in the series, which I personally think results in Kalos having a poor sense of identity. It's a region where most of the Pokemon available are ones that we've seen before. Having new numbered Pokemon would alleviate that at least a little bit.

In past games, many of the new Pokémon were unavailable for most of the game. New evos in Diamond & Pearl, for example. Half the dex in Gold & Silver and so forth :p

A lot of Megas could easily pass as actual evolutions too. Hell, every single Mega is a more drastic change than Poliwhirl to Poliwrath.
I legitimately would like it if in Gen VII between Gen VI's Pokemon and Gen VII's they give all the current Megas actual dex numbers and entries, then any new Megas would be added to the dex after Gen VII's Pokemon.

Why not a happy compromise and a "Mega Dex" as part of the Pokédex. It's own numbering system and the like

In past games, many of the new Pokémon were unavailable for most of the game. New evos in Diamond & Pearl, for example. Half the dex in Gold & Silver and so forth :p
But there weren't 15ish new evos in Gen IV were there. And I'm not quite sure where the 'half the dex' part comes from? There were only a handfull of Pokemon restricted to the post game in Gen II weren't there (Larvitar, Houndour, Murkrow, etc.) I could be remembering wrong though (You probably know more about that than I do).

The problem is the ratio of old-to-new Pokemon available in the main game is the lowest it's ever been, and it doesn't help that 15 of the new Pokemon are walled off until the post game. I think if they made outright new Pokemon, instead of suped-up versions of old ones used primarily in multiplayer (a mostly post-game experience), they'd feel a bit more inclined to try and put them into the main game and give Kalos a bit more of an identity. Because right now it feels like a "Greatest Hits" of different Pokemon with a few new ones just kinda thrown in there.

I also love the idea of a Mega Dex.

JoeM86

But there weren't 15ish new evos in Gen IV were there. And I'm not quite sure where the 'half the dex' part comes from? There were only a handfull of Pokemon restricted to the post game in Gen II weren't there (Larvitar, Houndour, Murkrow, etc.) I could be remembering wrong though (You probably know more about that than I do).

The problem is the ratio of old-to-new Pokemon available in the main game is the lowest it's ever been, and it doesn't help that 15 of the new Pokemon are walled off until the post game. I think if they made outright new Pokemon, instead of suped-up versions of old ones used primarily in multiplayer (a mostly post-game experience), they'd feel a bit more inclined to try and put them into the main game and give Kalos a bit more of an identity. Because right now it feels like a "Greatest Hits" of different Pokemon with a few new ones just kinda thrown in there.

I also love the idea of a Mega Dex.

Yep. You couldn't really get Lickilicky, Rhyperior, Tangrowth (hell you needed to transfer for this one), Electivire, Magmortar, Togekiss, Yanmega, Leafeon, Glaceon, Gliscor, Mamoswine, Porygon-Z, Gallade, Probopass, Dusknoir or Froslass until the post game in Diamond & Pearl. That's a decent amount of the 107 new Pokémon that generation provided.

GS didn't just lock new Pokémon out, but other Pokémon in the Johto dex

And of course the ratio will shrink as we get more Pokémon unless they increase the amount of new ones in proportion to the previous amount, but that'd be silly.

ash_ag

OR
  • The final Gen VI game comes out in February 2016, before this movie and then Gen VII starts in early 2017.

While I don't see an early 2017 game introducing Gen 7 (it would probably go for the second half of the year in that case), the concept of introducing a new-Generation more than one movie before the actual Generation's debut is not unprecedented. Munchlax appeared in 2004's Destiny Deoxys, which is two years and three movies before Gen 4's debut in 2006.

The reason why this possibility is a bit less likely is because movies are still a thing that varies among regions. If they are to reveal a new Pokémon in just a few months, I expect them to have more than M19 as an excuse, since the announcement would have to be global. Still, you never know. They do certain unexpected things sometimes. :p

JoeM86

While I don't see an early 2017 introducing Gen 7 (it would probably go for the second half of the year in that case), the concept of introducing a new-Generation more than one movie before the actual Generation's debut is not unprecedented. Munchlax appeared in 2004's Destiny Deoxys, which is two years and three movies before Gen 4's debut in 2006.

The reason why this possibility is a bit less likely is because movies are still a thing that varies among regions. If they are to reveal a new Pokémon in just a few months, I expect them to have more than M19 as an excuse, since the announcement would have to be global. Still, you never know. They do certain unexpected things sometimes. :p

With the kaiju clearly being Zygarde, I'm clinging to my Kalos game in Feb 2016 idea.

They could have teased the movie as having Zygarde easily with normal Zygarde, so them revealing the kaiju-esque one in this trailer is a massive indicator that we're going to have a reveal very soon (they're not going to leave that for almost a year), and that leads into the February release theory I've been holding since February. As such, blobby is either a bizarre alternate form of something, or the equivalent of Munchlax where it'll be an unknown/unobtainable for a while.

Razmos

Why not a happy compromise and a "Mega Dex" as part of the Pokédex. It's own numbering system and the like
I would love that, especially if it had flavour text explaining certain aspects of the mega, like explaining how fast Mega Salamence can go, Mega Lopunny's sudden fighting type, certain aspects of Mega Slowbro, the power of Mega Blastoise's cannon ect.

That sort of stuff is always really cool for the normal pokemon, and would be very cool for Mega Evolutions.

Tal

There was a lot of "Gen 6.5" speculation when the relatively small new pokemon list in Gen 6 was revealed. Maybe this is it.

You can have six Pokemon on a team, but only one Mega Evolution. Therefore, Mega Evolutions are not Pokemon.

Also, Mega Evolutions are, by and large, terrible looking, also, quite unlike actual Pokemon. lol

ash_ag

With the kaiju clearly being Zygarde, I'm clinging to my Kalos game in Feb 2016 idea.

They could have teased the movie as having Zygarde easily with normal Zygarde, so them revealing the kaiju-esque one in this trailer is a massive indicator that we're going to have a reveal very soon (they're not going to leave that for almost a year), and that leads into the February release theory I've been holding since February. As such, blobby is either a bizarre alternate form of something, or the equivalent of Munchlax where it'll be an unknown/unobtainable for a while.

I suppose a more apt way to deal with the "awkwardness" of having a new-Gen Pokémon revealed before the release of an older-Gen game these days, would be handle it similar to how XD handled Munchlax and Bonsly. They could reveal it internationally along with the next game (thus not being limited by Movie-induced regional differences) and include it there in a cameo capacity, even if it isn't obtainable per se. Ranger and Manaphy also come to mind, even though Ranger was much closer to DP than (presumably) this to Gen 7.

"Gen 6.5" would be an interesting idea though. They're already halfway to the effect with the introduction of new Megas in ORAS, and adding a small batch of new 'mons would help diversify the Kalos's ecosystem. Considering that all non-Mythical Pokémon are available between XY and ORAS, I can see them attempting this for once.
Southern Kalos may play a part in explaining why these Pokémon weren't available in XY too. :p

Lies and slander
I think the amount of Mega Evolutions with good designs can be counted on one hand. Quite diametrically opposed to later gen evolutions in which the bad designs can be counted on one hand.

I mean, have you seen Mega Camerupt, both Mega Mewtwos, Mega Blastoise, Mega Heracross, Mega Manectric, Mega Slowbro, Mega Salamence, Mega Aerodactyl, etc, etc, etc.? Awful. I mean, I'm sure glad we lost the potential for an actual Sharpedo evolution for this miserable mid gen ratings stunt.

By and large I find the design focus of Mega Evolutions in general to be dire.

JoeM86

I think the amount of Mega Evolutions with good designs can be counted on one hand. Quite diametrically opposed to later gen evolutions in which the bad designs can be counted on one hand.

I mean, have you seen Mega Camerupt, both Mega Mewtwos, Mega Blastoise, Mega Heracross, Mega Manectric, Mega Slowbro, Mega Salamence, Mega Aerodactyl, etc, etc, etc.? Awful. I mean, I'm sure glad we lost the potential for an actual Sharpedo evolution for this miserable mid gen ratings stunt.

You did not just insult Mega Camerupt & Slowbro :(

Top Bottom