• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madcatz reveal Street Fighter V Arcade Sticks and Fight Pad

So is there a cheaper alternative for the ps4 that is of similar quality to the old te1? I've gotta start budgeting for the sfv launch but I'm not gonna support this price gouging.

The TES+ is the way to go imo if you prefer sanwa like me. I suck with modding if i was good at it, i would buy a hori and switch everything out for sawna.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SULMRI4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Don't think it's similar quality to the TE, personally, but it's the best stick you're going to get on PS4 for the price.

whats the difference between this and the rap5? outside from the art

jbug617

Banned
Who decided the pad needed to be white?

I swear the concept version had more colors. Weren't they red and blue?

SFV_Blog-post1.jpg

Sandfox

Well I guess I'm just going to stick with my modded TE2 and just get the PC version of SFV. The prices are just dumb these days.

El Sloth

Banned
If you want to buy them on a dead console, maybe. I haven't seen a TE, a VS, or TE-S sell for 75 bucks new on 360 or ps3. Wii and Wii U, sure.
Yeah, the best deal I've ever seen for a TE was when they occasionally had them $50 off when sponsoring a tournament. It's been like two years or something since that last happened though.

thelastword

Banned
They are that way because people tend to press the buttons like they would an arcade stick, so the handle doesn't get in the way I guess.

You don't hold them like a regular controller.

Just that if I wanted to play on a controller like I did on stick, I'd get a stick.........

Even their original design had two analogs and they took the right analog away too....

lR3AAHl.jpg

This imo would be the perfect pad.....and I though that is what Madcatz was bringing to the table...

Skilletor

The TES+ is the way to go imo if you prefer sanwa like me. I suck with modding if i was good at it, i would buy a hori and switch everything out for sawna.

It's literally just removing some wires and putting in the new buttons. The kuros are even more solidly built than sanwa, so you don't have to worry about damaging the tabs when you remove the buttons. It is super easy. But if you're talking about buying buttons and sticks, that 150 gets close to 200 anyway, so may as well buy the TES+.

Yeah, the best deal I've ever seen for a TE was when they occasionally had them $50 off when sponsoring a tournament. It's been like two years or something since that last happened though.

Right. The TE Pro line, which I think is comparable to the Hori Rap sticks, were constantly on sale, but those sticks felt more cheaply made than a TE/S, VS. The TE is one of the most solid sticks ever. I've still got both of mine from SF4 launch and they're still in great shape. Just swap out the sticks and buttons which wear from use and you're good.

tariniel

Really just way, way too expensive. Hoping my TE round 2 is supported on either version of SFV or I just won't buy it I guess.

tribal24

Banned
They need to announce TE backward compatibility these are to expensive compared to first releases. Hoping Hori steps in and creates better sticks and cheaper.

Allforce

Is that design supposed to be an outline of Chun Li's breasts on that fightpad? I don't know what to make of it.

yyr

I was a huge fan of MCZ's small form factor. You know, the one they used first for the SFIV FightStick, then the TvC sticks for Wii, and finally the WWE BrawlStick. Super-easy to mod, super-portable, no compromises. Definitely one of my favorites.

So I'm kind of excited to see that they're releasing another small stick. But it's hard for me to judge exactly how large or small this one is just based on those pictures. My guess is that IF (and only if) they're using standard-sized 30mm buttons again, they ought to be moddable just like before.

Also: the MSRP on the BrawlSticks was $80 as well. Then, there were deep discounts around the time of major tournaments and/or holidays. Finally, they dropped to $30-40 when on clearance. So if you're curious about it, but not curious enough to pre-order, I'd expect that history will repeat itself. These might be good sticks to take on the road, or for the occasional Player 2.

Laws00

still think the fightpads look strange. i guess i need to hold one to get a better idea on how they feel

depths20XX

I thought I was gonna get one of these but with those prices and the fact I've already got a Kai with Sanwas I think I'll pass.

Skilletor

They need to announce TE backward compatibility these are to expensive compared to first releases. Hoping Hori steps in and creates better sticks and cheaper.

Hori's comparable line to the TE series is definitely going to be 200+, since it already is on PS3/360.

kewlmyc

I'm going to get one eventually if I get competitive, but until then I'll stick with my eightarc that's compatible with the PC version.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I wonder why the TE2+ is $30 more.

Adding L3/R3 costs $15 each.

But yeah, those price hikes. Double so for the original TE layout just with PS4 features. Whooooo, MadCatz tax.

I was a huge fan of MCZ's small form factor. You know, the one they used first for the SFIV FightStick, then the TvC sticks for Wii, and finally the WWE BrawlStick. Super-easy to mod, super-portable, no compromises. Definitely one of my favorites.

So I'm kind of excited to see that they're releasing another small stick. But it's hard for me to judge exactly how large or small this one is just based on those pictures. My guess is that IF (and only if) they're using standard-sized 30mm buttons again, they ought to be moddable just like before.

Also: the MSRP on the BrawlSticks was $80 as well. Then, there were deep discounts around the time of major tournaments and/or holidays. Finally, they dropped to $30-40 when on clearance. So if you're curious about it, but not curious enough to pre-order, I'd expect that history will repeat itself. These might be good sticks to take on the road, or for the occasional Player 2.
The alpha should be like this size wise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNawS9Uq9yc

Spacebar

Honestly, not feeling these at all. The pads look super cheap and not sure about that dpad. If it's really good I could probably get me to look over the design. I wish they would just make a new nice looking saturn pad.

The sticks look okay, but what is up with the art. You pay for the license and use the same ass Ryu cover that people have already printed out. Then you just use the logos and some symbols on the other products. Why not work with capcom and get some original art.

I'll prob just wait for a hori fighting edge. I like the sleeker design and less blocky look.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll probably try out the default hori buttons and put in my old sanwa buttons if I don't like them.

Yeeeep..
That's what I'm waiting for. Why are these things still this much money?

I think the reason, I don't know I didn't make these, they are this much money this time around is because they work on 2 platforms, 3 counting the PC, right out of the gate without modding.

However, my argument is immediately shot down because Hori has a 150 dollar PS3/PS4 stick.

So yeah, Madcatz Tax.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll probably try out the default hori buttons and put in my old sanwa buttons if I don't like them.

That and buttons are cheaper than the TE S+ which is sad to be honest.

sörine

Banned
That pad looks horrific. Why can't someone just license a new round of USB Saturn pads for this? Or even Capcom's old Soldier Pad?

That alpha looks a like a great choice for people who want to try out arcade sticks. I might even get one, if my Eightarc Fusion isn't compatible with SFV.

NEO0MJ

This kinda makes me regret buying my current PS4 TE2. Though I'm not sure if the new features are worth $60 more than I paid.

Korezo

Adding L3/R3 costs $15 each.

But yeah, those price hikes. Double so for the original TE layout just with PS4 features. Whooooo, MadCatz tax.

And maybe finally they added a headphone jack and the touch pad... all the stuff that should of been there. Terrible sticks

Just that if I wanted to play on a controller like I did on stick, I'd get a stick.........

Even their original design had two analogs and they took the right analog away too....

lR3AAHl.jpg

This imo would be the perfect pad.....and I though that is what Madcatz was bringing to the table...

That's how most fightpad players play though. Why would you even need an analogue stick at all for fighting games? I think it's a decent design tbh, but I'm a stick player so doesn't really matter to me too much.

MrDaravon

Crazy prices on the TE2 sticks themselves aside, I feel like they've significantly dropped the ball on not having at least the pads and smaller stick out already. I got a Hori FC4 pad months ago for $10 cheaper than what they're offering here (granted there's no touchpad on the FC4), and Hori has a comparable mini arcade stick out this month for $39.99, half of what they're charging for their mini stick.

I have no idea if the way higher prices are partially due to Capcom licensing or whatever, but it's crazy. So glad I didn't hold out for either the pad or mini-stick like I was originally intending to.

Skilletor

Crazy prices on the TE2 sticks themselves aside, I feel like they've significantly dropped the ball on not having at least the pads and smaller stick out already. I got a Hori FC4 pad months ago for $10 cheaper than what they're offering here (granted there's no touchpad on the FC4), and Hori has a comparable mini arcade stick out this month for $39.99, half of what they're charging for their mini stick.

I have no idea if the way higher prices are partially due to Capcom licensing or whatever, but it's crazy. So glad I didn't hold out for either the pad or mini-stick like I was originally intending to.

The licensing is part of why the TE2 is more expensive according to Markman.

Top Bottom