• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGS -- Windows 10 Game Handheld announced

stilgar

And this will be funded ... seriously people, what the hell.

I seriously suspect that at least some of the backers are fake. This thing just doesn't have the media presence to pull in these numbers so early on. Another thing to consider is that they previously said on the dingoonity forums that they had investors so they weren't going to try the Kickstarter route at all before later claiming their investors wanted them to go to Kickstarter to gauge public interest.

Oh, fake backers is a possibility, yeah. There's still hope for the human race.

They are still saying Intel z8750 for CPU. Wouldn't that be fraud since that chip no longer is available? Wonder if Kickstarter will pull down the campaign.

Edit: here is the link in case folks are wondering.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1606226331/portable-console-for-pc-games-pgs/description

Is it even physically possible when x7 z8750 chip is not available anymore from Intel?

Theoretically speaking, it's possible. They are not made anymore, but that doesn't mean there isn't a bunch of them in the market. Of course, I still think this campaign is a scam regardless.

lol too bad its fake. It would be hilarious if they became popular but relied on some original cache of z8750's the dev.s had...then they start buying used parts for the manufacturing process after that original cache runs dry...would not surprise me with how shady this thing has been since the start and unfortunately due to its shadyness i don't think we'll get to see it go that far...only get to watch ppl lose money which is barely any fun.

Azio

UPDATE:

Okay, I think you are right!

I asked them this question about the sticks:
Hi,
is there any plan to change the place of the sticks?
I think they are located in the wrong place.
They will probably spoil the experience of the gamers.

the answer was:
Hi! We plan to set sticks upper in final reference.

Just like that?
--------------

Don't judge the book by its cover.
I read some illogical comments here (of course the other comments are logical)
but hey! let us have faith in the young devs this time.

even if it is 250 dollars, that does not mean the final product will get the same price! This limited amount of devices is for the backers only.
I paid 275 dollars to support them. I do not need the device to play some hardcore games but to use it as a normal phone (maybe to play some indie games). probably I will stream some visual novel games to the phone (Zero time dilemma is not good on the big screen though)

Some of you mock the people who supported them, but at the same time, they spend hundreds of dollars on newly released expensive phones that only cost a hundred dollar - or less - in the production level. Those phones are expensive due to the advertisements the companies make around the world.

anyway, they have succeeded in less than 24 hours.

I sincerely hope that this thing is real... but I think I'm going to hold off on backing it until products are in people's hands, at which point I will take the hit and order a version at full price

Mivey

You know, if this is some illicitus money laundering scheme, I must say I'm still impressed. This is super creative and it is clear they put in a lot of work into this. It's a bit dumb since it puts a lot of attention to itself, but I guess the modern Mob doesn't like to stay in the shadows.

dLMN8R

UPDATE:

Okay, I think you are right!

I asked them this question about the sticks:

the answer was:

Just like that?
--------------

Don't judge the book by its cover.
I read some illogical comments here (of course the other comments are logical)
but hey! let us have faith in the young devs this time.

even if it is 250 dollars, that does not mean the final product will get the same price! This limited amount of devices is for the backers only.
I paid 275 dollars to support them. I do not need the device to play some hardcore games but to use it as a normal phone (maybe to play some indie games). probably I will stream some visual novel games to the phone (Zero time dilemma is not good on the big screen though)

Some of you mock the people who supported them, but at the same time, they spend hundreds of dollars on newly released expensive phones that only cost a hundred dollar - or less - in the production level. Those phones are expensive due to the advertisements the companies make around the world.

anyway, they have succeeded in less than 24 hours.

I'm not judging this book by its cover. I'm judging it by its substance.

As someone who personally has worked in the software industry for nearly a decade, and who has an electrical engineering background, and who knows people who currently work on ambitious hardware projects, absolutely nothing about this project sounds feasible with anywhere close to the money they've spent so far, the money they requested, or the time they gave themselves to complete it.

It sounds like an incredibly naive project. Not deliberately misleading (though perhaps way too optimistic). But naive. They have absolutely no fucking clue what they've set themselves up to do, and have absolutely no fucking idea how difficult it will be to finish this project in the timeline they've set for themselves, or with the money they've asked for.

Speevy

Banned
Just a general question, really nothing to do with this thread

Can the people who have these kickstarters but engage in unethical practices be sued?

Two Words

That campaign video is soooooo bad and fake.
- a ton of pointless jump cuts
- guy is clearly being dubbed over
- Japanese engineers!
- Not a single employee looks to be over 30
- the PC games were clearly not running on whatever the hell this thing is.

Two Words

I'm not judging this book by its cover. I'm judging it by its substance.

As someone who personally has worked in the software industry for nearly a decade, and who has an electrical engineering background, and who knows people who currently work on ambitious hardware projects, absolutely nothing about this project sounds feasible with anywhere close to the money they've spent so far, the money they requested, or the time they gave themselves to complete it.

It sounds like an incredibly naive project. Not deliberately misleading (though perhaps way too optimistic). But naive. They have absolutely no fucking clue what they've set themselves up to do, and have absolutely no fucking idea how difficult it will be to finish this project in the timeline they've set for themselves, or with the money they've asked for.
But more importantly, are you a JAPANESE ENGINEER?!?!

What kind of audio system? Heh.

"With such functions as, for example..."

I mean, I'd like this device, but for the price they offer, it can't be done. Their prototype videos seem to completely not show the device being used as people would. Not picking it up or moving it around.

Also, I'm pretty sure their first language isn't English, and they had someone dub over their own voices, hence the weird 'lag'

mnannola

Going to stay away from this one until some reviews come out. Would buy it for that price in a second, but I don't trust they have a clue what they are doing.

I'd love a handheld to play smaller, less-intensive indie games on when I have breaks throughout the day. It's a shame this is a sham because the concept is pretty sweet.

Durante

Neither will this.
veloxStrix point was that if this was legit, it would be sweet, since it would play windows games.

I agree.

And it is possible to build such a thing these days (a handheld which can play thousands of indie and older AAA x86/Windows games), just probably not for this price.

SharkJAW

Why did I have to stumble upon this thread? Now I NEED a device like this. I have a Vita, but the option of remote play as well as PS2 and backwards emulation alone sounds great. Too bad this is so fishy.

MUnited83

For you.
I'd love a handheld to play smaller, less-intensive indie games on when I have breaks throughout the day. It's a shame this is a sham because the concept is pretty sweet.

You can always go for the GPD Win 10 :D. A actual legit project that is actually coming out and has a good team behind it.

me0wish

You can always go for the GPD Win 10 :D. A actual legit project that is actually coming out and has a good team behind it.

hakc6g8da3ka6tltuy6q.jpg

*drool*

Maximo

^^^Yep definitely while the handhold is not a powerhouse it's legit and has a team behind it that has made some good android handhelds before, I have the GPD XD myself. With it seemingly becoming a success I'm sure they will make better ones in the future which I'm excited for.

MJPIA

So yeah their prototype is cobbled together from other devices, their amazing low price, the company no one knows anything about, the fact that they didn't seem to realize whatever modem they are using is not compatible with any carrier in the US, the telescopic sticks that they claim they are still in the process of developing, their comments that they can't make a more integrated prototype since that would require certain parts you can only get in bulk and that they expect production to be between January to February next year sets off so many warning bells.
Good luck manufacturing anything during the Chinese new year holidays.
And any company will sell single samples of components to interested customers to make prototypes so I dunno why they said that.

And then for $800 10 backers can get the hardcore version with a titanium case.
Making titanium cases using tools designed to make aluminum ones will wear tooling out.
Very expensive tooling.
I can't see any way making just 10 titanium cases is worth the associated wear and tear and costs.

GPD may not have had a prototype at the beginning of their indiegogo campaign but they've made multiple clamshell android devices over the years and are a established company with credentials.
PGS has none of that.
I am fond of clamshell palmtops and the PGS and its specs is attractive but so many warning bells are screaming at me right now.

wildfire

Banned
I can't believe it's already funded. I hope no one on GAF backed this thing :eek:

Because the funding target is too low. It should easily have been 400k minimum for all the things they are trying to do here.

Even if they are getting engineers from certain countries at a bargain due to currency and standards of living differences the staff is going to be painfully small to get anything done in 1.3 years.

So yeah their prototype is cobbled together from other devices, their amazing low price, the company no one knows anything about, the fact that they didn't seem to realize whatever modem they are using is not compatible with any carrier in the US,

*blinks*

Because the funding target is too low. It should easily have been 400k minimum for all the things they are trying to do here.

Even if they are getting engineers from certain countries at a bargain due to currency and standards of living differences the staff is going to be painfully small to get anything done in 1.3 years.

*blinks*

This campaign makes no sense at every level.

MJPIA

Just a way to express how unbelievably shocking and bad this is. It's a good point you're making about how flawed this project is.

Ah gotcha.
I thought it was something along those lines but wasn't sure and am prone to assuming things so I wanted to make sure.

Browsing the pgs thread on the pyra forums and someone dug up the company info.
http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bcs_corp/dt_llc.asp?id_nbr=E7561M&name_entity=PGS LAB LLC
Person who created the LLC in Detroit is Michael Shariff who I think is this guy.
http://inventacapital.com/about/history/
Inventa Capital was founded and is managed by Michael George Shariff, Esq, US and Canadian Patent attorney with unique experience in all spheres of patent prosecution and M&A work. Mr. Shariff specializes in helping clients to bring their innovative products to market. As a Patent Attorney in Michigan, his work included filing and prosecuting patent applications, conducting prior art searches and investigations, assisting clients with design-around efforts, patent reexamination, and patent litigation support.

Mr. Shariff was first Chief Patent Counsel of Ener1, Inc., a publicly traded (NASDAQ:HEV) energy technology company that develops compact, lithium-ion powered battery solutions for the transportation, grid energy storage and consumer markets and develops commercial fuel cell products through its EnerFuel subsidiary and nanotechnology-based materials and manufacturing processes through its NanoEner subsidiary. At Ener1, Inc., Mr. Shariff drafted and prosecuted numerous breakthrough patents related no nanotechnology, lithium ion technology, and solar technology.

During his professional career Mr. Shariff represented and successfully prosecuted hundreds of patents (US and foreign) for many of his clients including Whitesell International, TDK, Behr Systems, Durr Systems, Durr Ecoclean, Enerize, and many other large and small companies, individual inventors and businessman.

Inventa Capital is a unique tool created by Mr. Shariff after practicing with one of the major Midwest law firms and working in-house. Mr. Shariff discovered what services typical law firms don’t provide to their client and what prevents corporate researchers and engineers from thinking more creatively to come up with breakthrough technologies/inventions to control the market. Inventa Capital is a solution to these problems with unique combination of professional skills provided for businesses ready to turn innovations into capital and became leaders in the market.

Gr8one

Latest backer update is interesting

Intel Corporation is ready to help us

Good news. We received a message from the Principal Engineer of the performance Lab of Intel Corporation.

They see an opportunity to assist us in the development.

If the negotiations go well, maybe they will become our partners. For us it would be a great honor.

We are confident that the partnership with corporation like Intel will help us to achieve the best results.

Maybe i'm crazy but this sounds like some BS. I don't understand why Intel would have any interest on such a small project especially after dumping the Atom line recently.

MJPIA

Supposedly its François Piednoël.

We started work on the custom PCB after the start of the campaign. It is quite expensive and not very fast process. But we still have time to try to show a more complete version of the prototype before the end of the campaign.
Any of you that decide to back this better hope they don't run into any issues seeing how they just started working on the circuit board.

Gr8one

Any of you that decide to back this better hope they don't run into any issues seeing how they just started working on the circuit board.

I threw a dollar in myself out of curiosity of the backer comments and updates.There are sadly a lot of people who don't understand hardware or lack the critical thinking to question this product, the promises, the price, and the development team. It's sad really.

Since you go to the Open Pandora boards you likely have some knowledge on how long of a process it is to design and build a prototype PCB let alone design retractable analogs, case molds, cooling, testing, etc. There is no way they are delivering anything 9 months let alone in 2017.This is either a scam or some people that are in way over their heads (
it's a scam
).

If that's true, then keep a close eye on him. If he ditches the project then that could be the earliest indication from the inside that this was a scam and they completely misrepresented how far along they actually are.

Jedi2016

Latest backer update is interesting
Good news. We received a message from the Principal Engineer of the performance Lab of Intel Corporation.

They see an opportunity to assist us in the development.

If the negotiations go well, maybe they will become our partners. For us it would be a great honor.

We are confident that the partnership with corporation like Intel will help us to achieve the best results.
This sounds like something from one of those emails you get, you know? We am having update of great goods! Buy now! We send money you next!

In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if they did have a "goal" of a certain amount of incoming cash. And then:

hvPRhSh.gif

dLMN8R

Fucking hell they say they'll be shipping this thing in 8 months and now they're saying they haven't even finished the PCB design?

Oy.

Top Bottom