• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FURI | OT | Synthvengeance

furilogo.png

Combat Melee Tactical Bullethell Shmup Boss Rush Espionage Lightning Stylish Action!
Made by The Game Bakers

Free (With PS+ Sub) on PS4 or 24,99$€
PSN EU: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-fi/games/furi/cid=EP0771-CUSA04129_00-0000000123456789
PSN US: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/furi/cid=UP0774-CUSA04917_00-00000000FURISCEA

24,99€ on Steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/423230/

Launch Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMuHjg5oA-s
Unedited 10 minutes stage clip

Soundtrack available for download and vinyl
Original compositions made for the game from Carpenter Brut, Danger, Waveshaper, Scattle, Kn1ght, Lorn and The Toxic Avenger

Corpekata

Banned
The game features some lengthy Walk and Talk sections where they invert the camera depending on the angle, so do yourselves a favor and hit A/X, it is an autowalk button for those sequences.

Permanently A

My OT title would've have been "this has music by carpenter brut and danger"

This will be a sleeper hit. I know it.

Also some more stuff for OP:

Unedited boss fight

Story Trailer

Gameplay Trailer

Dev comments:

There is a feeling that I remember from when I was a kid playing video games: the huge, intense satisfaction when I finally beat a level or a boss I had been struggling with for a while. The feeling of learning how to overcome a challenge, with my brain and my thumbs. The combination of understanding and execution felt like a reward in itself.

I remember it from games like Super Punch Out, bosses from Metal Gear Solid, combat in God Hand. There are many games that gave me that feeling, but recently I’ve felt that games try too hard to be “user friendly.” Adaptive difficulty, dynamic checkpoints, in-game tips… Everything is explained and balanced to make sure nobody drops out.

'With Furi, we want to give the player an extreme satisfaction when he or she beats a boss. That means he or she will have to sweat a little for it.

Furi is heavily inspired by the Japanese way of making games. It’s not trying to be realistic in its style or animations. It’s fast-paced and requires a lot of timing, reflex, and judgment. When you press a button, the character reacts immediately. It’s part of what makes it “fair.” Too often in modern games, we press a button and then, in order to make the game look realistic, the character will start an animation that “looks good” but “feels heavy,” and is unresponsive, even laggy. Responsive controls feel good and are a must-have in a combat game.'

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/03/09/furi-on-ps4-a-gauntlet-of-brutal-boss-battles/

Anung

Un Rama
CmmyTLEXgAA3SUX.jpg:small

Really like the unlock system for the extra stuff in this game. Wanna see the concept art? better get good!

Really tempted to buy the vinyl. The music is fantastic.

Bishop89

Initial impressions based on first boss little bit after:

+combat is really really really fun!
+skill-based / challenging
+soundtrack is good
+controls like a dream
+interesting character designs (just got upto the 2nd boss)

-i'm only up-to the walking section right after the boss, but i hope this isn't a common thing. Its such a bore, and the controls during the walking sequence is really annoying

Needless to say, this has hooked, so will finish this game.

Vaga

Are these guys serious with that walking sequence after the first boss?

LET ME FUCKING RUN AT LEAST FFS!

And another game with unlocked framerate in the menus, how the fuck does this still happen?

jett

D-Member
The game features some lengthy Walk and Talk sections where they invert the camera depending on the angle, so do yourselves a favor and hit A/X, it is an autowalk button for those sequences.

That's disappointing to read. I have no interest in suffering through what you described.

Harmen

There is slow walking/talking? That means there is an (extensive) plot? That actually makes me more interested. As long as there is a good balance, some downtime between intense bosses works for me, personally.

gngf123

I love the look and sound of this game but that sounds terrible.

Corpekata

Banned
I love the look and sound of this game but that sounds terrible.

Lengthy might have been overstating it, but there's definetly enough story stuff to have annoyed me if I had to push forward / readjust everytime the camera angle changes. The auto walk is at least less annoying than that.

Draft

What a cool game to be free on PS+. Thank you, based Sony.

Engine is Unity by the way, let's see how well it runs on PS4.

Would be a real shame to not be locked at 1080p/60.

Gbraga

I haven't played it yet, but I imagine its to create some breathing room between the boss fights.

Give me some light platforming, or even just the same section where you walk and talk to people, but don't force me to go slow, that just creates frustration rather than relaxing me. I can take my time if I feel like it, no need to be forced to take my time when I don't.

Or make it a cutscene that I can skip on future playthroughs.

Anything that doesn't create this barely interactible "playable cutscene" thing.

I guess the really did love MGR in its entirety. It's the worst part of the game, imo.

Permanently A

Give me some light platforming, or even just the same section where you walk and talk to people, but don't force me to go slow, that just creates frustration rather than relaxing me. I can take my time if I feel like it, no need to be forced to take my time when I don't.

Yeah, hope it doesn't end up being too bad. If they have some nice music and actually interesting plot I think I won't mind it too much.

Some impressions after beating the first boss and moving forward a bit in the story.

The music absolutely owns. First song was by Lorn I think.
Fights are a locked 60FPS.
The combat is alright, kinda felt like the first fight was overly long and I was doing similar stuff over and over again.
Screen tearing and lower framerate in walking sections and cutscenes.
The slow walking exploration sections are incredibly frustrating. There's extra dialogue in backtracking but you won't want to bother because it takes actual MINUTES to walk to one bit of dialogue and proceed. It's one of the most puzzling design decisions I've ever seen in a game.

Vaga

Frame rate is all over the place in cutscenes, not so frequent during gameplay but tearing happens a lot during both. That and the console fan going berserk in menus only. Eh at least it's on PS+.

Gbraga

The slow walking exploration sections are incredibly frustrating. There's extra dialogue in backtracking but you won't want to bother because it takes actual MINUTES to walk to one bit of dialogue and proceed. It's one of the most puzzling design decisions I've ever seen in a game.

This is even worse :/

I was just thinking, with the amount of going back and forth and talking to every single NPC I do on my first playthroughs of Souls games, if I was forced to walk slowly outside of combat, it would completely destroy that aspect of the games that I enjoy so much. There's no way I would make sure to check on every single NPC after every boss fight/cutscene/every time I visit the hub for whatever reason if doing so was such a chore. It would actually work completely against the intent, which is to make players care about the characters and dialogue.

I want to sprint back as fast as possible because I can't wait to see what new dialogue they might have, thinking "is it worth it to go through that again just for new dialogue?" is as far away from that as you can get.

Second boss spoilers:
lmao can you even dodge that laser beam in the last phase? I've had no issues but i cant dodge that shit for the life of me.

Frame rate is all over the place in cutscenes, not so frequent during gameplay but tearing happens a lot during both. That and the console fan going berserk in menus only. Eh at least it's on PS+.

Another victim of Unity engine.

Worst engine ever imo.

JoeFenix

Screen tearing on PS4? That's extremely disappointing... Still haven't been satisfied with a single Unity engine game on PS4, they always have performance issues. Best I've seen was Assault Android Cactus but even that had screen tearing and minor framerate issues at times.

Excited for the game regardless but I wish we didn't have to deal with performance issues whenever something runs on Unity. Hopefully it doesn't detract from the gameplay too much even if the presentation ends up suffering.

UV-6

ExcessiveProfanity on Twitch is currently playing this and it looks insane even on normal. He seems to be enjoying it though.

Dutchman

Neo Member
Hmmm slight spoiler for the third boss:

Can anyone tell me
wtf to do at his second phase? He just keeps dodging my gunfire and the phase just resets.

Volcynika

From reading Eurogamer's review, interesting changes for the harder ("Furier") mode.

Tagging just in case.
Aside from higher risk in terms of damage and such, apparently the bosses have tons of new patterns and attacks.

Top Bottom