• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time: The 50 Best Video Games of All Time

Ricky 7

Those 2 Mario and 2 Zelda games in the top 10 is understandable. They're still to this day some of the best games ever created.

ethomaz

Banned
FFVI in 12nd.

Good list except for Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Well Uncharted 2 and The last of Us needs a place too.

Shadoken

No Street Fighter seems weird. I mean judging by the games they picked this looks like the kinda list where SF would place high.

Lack of Sega's arcade games is disgusting , especially given the arcade titles on the list.

Putting the original Zelda in the top 10 is crazy. That game has aged awfully. Like, it's important, and its sequels are some of the best games of all time, but the original does not hold up. At least not enough to be in a top 10 games of all time.

Rise of The Tomb Raider better than Bioshock, Final Fantasy VII, Diablo II, Fallout 3 and Castlevania? Nah.

This is a list of great games but the order is whack.

Edit: no Last of Us is suspect.

Putting the original Zelda in the top 10 is crazy. That game has aged awfully. Like, it's important, and its sequels are some of the best games of all time, but the original does not hold up. At least not enough to be in a top 10 games of all time.
The original is still GOAT. I've played it to completion recently. That game does a better job at world-building than most modern games, and did it on much lesser hardware. It deserves it's spot.

ctrl + f: street fighter

0 results

rmdSx.gif

Goldmund

I don't think the list is that bad. It should have been titled: "Here's 50 games we want you to know about (if you don't already)" instead. I guess that's not as catchy.

My local sports talk radio show brought this list up for whatever reason yesterday and the hosts were making fun of anything that wasn't an NES classic.

Still holding that "lol video games are for nerds that never played sports (yet I still loved the NES in the '80s!)" stereotype! ;)

Hoo-doo

Banned
Inclusive does not mean sales.

That was about it's influence.
RotTR has had basically zero cultural impact and it's hilarious to pretend like it was some watershed moment for female representation in videogames that somehow makes it worthy of this list when games like Metroid are not even there.

You could say something about the original Tomb Raider being influential because it was. If you were really reaching you could say something for the first TR Reboot. But RotTR? Nah.

Vire

*Ctrl+F*

The Last of Us

*Ctrl F*

Street Fighter

*Ctrl F*

A Link To The Past

*Ctrl F*

Super Metroid

*Ctrl F*

Chrono Trigger

I've never seen such a shitty list in my life.

randomkid

the problem is that despite being the result of only seven people ("multiple generations of gamers" as they put it) the list is completely lacking in taste. anyone anywhere could have come up with it and the only surprise is a tomb raider game from last year showing up for some reason.

but this is just a list for whatever's left of the general magazine audience anyways so whatever

eXistor

The top 10 list reads more like a "most influential" list than "greatest games" list.

/edit: oh wow I actually saw the rest of the list. This might be without hyperbole, the worst top 50 list I've ever seen. Angry Birds is better than most Zelda's? Final Fantasies? Metroids? This really has nothing to do with quality it seems. I'm not even hating on Angry Birds, the core gameplay is good, but its placing in gaming history has nothing to do with that, it's because it influenced the gaming landscape (not in a positive way I might add). They should really rename this list.

/edit: and Rise of the Tomb Raider is there, but not the original '96 TR? They really don't know what they're doing.

It's a top 50. It certainly was interesting but it's missing a bunch of great games.

Opinions are opinions and I don't agree with this one

I just, uh, really like Tetris. And I've evolved with the times, I'm not talking about exclusively playing the GB version. That would be awesome, though! Here are my play stats from the version I play most these days, Axis on 3DS:

That's impressive. Do you play competitively?

Edit: I also don't agree with the perception that the most influential games are the best games.

Shit list. No Metal Gear Solid or The Last Of Us in the Top10? These games define modern gaming with their groundbreaking approaches to story-telling.

Stiler

Wow.......it's ilke they never heard of these games called COMPUTER Role-Playing Games.

Seriously, how the heck is the list missing this entire genre?

Baldur's Gate
Planescape Torment
Witcher 3
Vampire: TMB
Fallout 2

The closest it gets is Fallout 3, not New Vegas, not Fallout 2, but 3....

Hard to take this list seriously because of that, especially considering they put Rise of the Tomb raider on the list, but don't have games like:

Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Silent hill
etc.

This list makes more sense as "50 famous games of varying quality"

actually, "49 famous games of varying quality and Rise of the Tomb Raider"

Probably the exact same response could be said about whatever 50 games you come up with for your Top Best Video Games list.

Opinions are great aren't they?

AdanVC

I just, uh, really like Tetris. And I've evolved with the times, I'm not talking about exclusively playing the GB version. That would be awesome, though! Here are my play stats from the version I play most these days, Axis on 3DS:

It seems you've been playing quite a lot...... HOLY SHIT!!

I think that's the reason why Tetris is listed on #1. It's simply a game that can be replayed for eternity and never gets boring.

Sanctuary

The list is a little too reliant on getting the first game of a series in the rather than a superior sequel. Castlevania, Smash Brothers and Mario Kart, for instance should have used later games in the series because most of the forthcoming games were better.

Except that a) it doesn't do that in all cases, b) doesn't even make any sense when it doesn't and c) the predecessors were more influential as a whole, not necessarily "better".

How in the hell is Mortal Kombat on the list, but not Street Fighter 2? Yet another example of just tossing in the bottom 40 at random. In no reality was Mortal Kombat more influential or important than Street Fighter 2. It also wasn't even as good gameplay wise (I happened to love the hell out of the first two MK games FWIW).

It's been said already, but I repeat: no Street Fighter is 100% pure ignorance. It's only the cornerstone of an entire genre. It's as bad as leaving out Mario, Doom, or Tetris.

Including Mortal Kombat instead is just trolling. May as well have included Sonic and not Mario. GG Time.

Yep, and I honestly don't believe this list was compiled by one person either. It really reads as though someone was given a top ten by a committee, and then was left to their own devices for the rest.

Where is super metroid? Metroid prime? Sotn?

Super Metroid only makes sense on a best of the 16-bit games, or just SNES list. Despite the love for the franchise, it's not really that influential outside of the billion Castlevania games after SotN and a few indie developers. No idea why you would bother mentioning the Prime games either. They aren't influential or important to videogames as a whole, only important within the Metroid franchise.

I feel like Doom is a bit too high and I'm an old fogey that doesn't get Minecraft's appeal so that's too high as well, otherwise that top ten is solid. Checking out the link now.

No way. I don't even care about 99.999% of the first-person shooters that came out after it, but you cannot possibly deny the impact it had on the industry. Just look at how many games came after, or just look at last gen; which was "first-person" everything, even when it didn't actually benefit from it just because of how popular first-person shooters were.

The complete lack of Metroidvanias or Souls games makes it seem like the author has never played a labyrinth game.

Again, it makese zero sense to include any of the Souls games.

Well Uncharted 2 and The last of Us needs a place too.

LOL

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I don't like Oregon Trail being so high. It was incredible influential being pack in software for school computers. This is where many kids first got introduced to the medium. And that is the aspect that should deserve the high praise, not as a game, not a "best" list.

Then something happened around the year 2000, the phrase “You have died of dysentery.” became the tagline for Oregon Trail. They could not be separated in any form from that day forward. It was the joke. It was the t-shirt. It wanted to be everything.

So it is for that line that I think it was ranked so highly at #9 on Time's 50 best video games.

Yeah ok... games were amazing and stuff but honestly I'm pretty tired of people thinking that the best games were made 25 years ago. I really think you lack a soul if you can't enjoy games at those levels anymore. (I'm 33 by the way and been playing since Atari 2600 religiously).

That's impressive. Do you play competitively?

Edit: I also don't agree with the perception that the most influential games are the best games.
I've never tried! I think I could hold my own, I'm pretty good, but Tetris has always been a relaxing thing for me. Most of my play time happens while commuting!
It seems you've been playing quite a lot...... HOLY SHIT!!

I think that's the reason why Tetris is listed on #1. It's simply a game that can be replayed for eternity and never gets boring.
It definitely doesn't. It's a mental exercise; I've felt myself age through my Tetris performance. It's really a marvel of a game.

Ashes

Banned
Games have moved into the realm of storytelling in a major way, so this list to me feels dated.

Tetris is to my mind lost in a sea of puzzle games. Popular and the first, but nowhere near the best.

Brix

This list is crap. They had rise of the tomb raider ranking higher than Red dead redemption & RE4? Pssssh.

No MGS?!
Street fighter?!
Tlou?
Pacman?!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Lack of Souls makes the list objectively incorrect and I'm mad as hell about it.

In general, the list is much too Western-focused for my taste

Yeah, much too western focused and with both major omissions (no Ultima games?) and questionable picks (Fallout 3? Angry Birds? COD2? whaat?)

Top Bottom