• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILERS Pokemon Sun/Moon Begins to leak on 4Chan

UberTag

I have a great amount of sympathy for anyone planning to have Crabrawler on their team.
Dude remains a frail, mediocre fighting mono-type until you get a chance to evolve him right before fighting the Elite Four.
Plus, you literally find these things EVERYWHERE. Pretty much wherever there's a berry tree.
So he's pretty useless for the game proper and I doubt he'll be much better competitively until he gets access to a proper move tutor.

Question, does anyone know when you can start fishing? I wanna catch Shellder asap lol.
Fishing seems to have changed a little:
This is how you use my fishing rod: When you want to fish for Pokémon, look for piles of rocks in the water. Fish like to hide in the shadows there. When you see your bob dip under the water, you have a bite. But you won’t for long. The Pokémon will struggle to get away, so press  as soon as you see the “!” mark.[VAR 0114(000D)]

But a lot of other HAs won't be as intuitive as Weak Armor was. And if it's true that Mareanie won't call for help itself and you can't chain it after it snipes Corsola, I'm thinking it's going to be impossible to legitimately find one with Regenerator. Merciless will be the way to go.

Nabbing a Prankster Sableye pre-Bank may prove problematic for the same reasons.
The good news is there are millions of players and it only takes a few getting them and spreading them via breeding. If I was able to get everything breedable and extreme speed Dratini in the first day of Pokebank (while the service was broken) through the GTS this should also be possible...I just hope GTS allows us to see stats this time because if the rumor is true about no more custom text there is no way for anyone to say if it s a HA.

Did everyone already forget about the Festival Plaza?
It was in the trailers, dunno why everyone was freaking out over no Super Training.
It's still a slightly unknown. How many FP does it take to use the EV maxing facilities and how quickly can you get that FP?

Wait for real? I never had to so I just kinda assumed you couldn't lol. In that case I'll just ask someone to trade me an egg Day 1 then lol.
You should be pleased you were not around for shiny value era of Gen VI. Basically people figured out a method to determine the shiny value of a trainer and the shiny value of any eggs (when these two are the same a shiny is born) and a big database to matchmake the two was formed. It annoyed a lot of people as many of the people that wanted their shinies hatched were really ungrateful (not donating hatching o-power, not trying to get the step count down on the egg first).

I've upgraded my hype from Pokemon Pinball Ruby and Sapphire to Learn with Pokemon: Typing Adventure
They both have great music :)

Welp, all the doomsaying was unwarranted I guess. Unless people are actually gonna pretend to care about rotation battles and breeding regular Rattata.

This game looking godlike.
It is less Rattata more Ninetales in my case and also it just feels irrational. If you breed Shellos it retains it's coastal form even if it is hatched on another coast.

All Pokemon with Alolan variants born in Alola are always the variant? Even if their parents weren't?

That seems awfully inconvenient. I was assuming it just took it from the father.

Wouldn't this mean regular Raichu, Ninetales, etc won't ever be able to use in random battles until they release another game in the generation? Don't those block Pokemon imported from Bank?
KazoWAR was able to do this:
https://twitter.com/KazoWAR/status/797041053006184448
Gen VI Pikachu I'm guessing.

Oh, and you can breed for 30's now:

31 = さいこう
30 = すばらしい
26 - 29 = すごくいい

EDIT: IVs aren't bad at all to breed for BTW. I'd say it's about as fast as ORAS if not a bit faster (including time to get parents). For XY it would depend on if you had access to lots of friend safaris or not. If you didn't you were SOL, if you did it was nice as hell.
The English version seem to be from the in-game text (numbers based on what you said and guesswork):
31 = Best
30 = Fantastic
26 - 29 = Very Good
?? = Pretty good (guess 16-25)
?? = Decent (guess 1-15)
0 = No good

I have a great amount of sympathy for anyone planning to have Crabrawler on their team.
Dude remains a frail, mediocre fighting mono-type until you get a chance to evolve him right before fighting the Elite Four.
Plus, you literally find these things EVERYWHERE. Pretty much wherever there's a berry tree.
So he's pretty useless for the game proper and I doubt he'll be much better competitively until he gets access to a proper move tutor.

He's so awesome though!

Was watching some footage of the leaked version and it has to be one of the all-time great Pokemon designs.

Seil

Neither showing him an impressive pokemon or beating the league a second time seem to do the trick.

It might be linked to your Battle Tree streak.

See, that's what we originally thought. But PreyingShark gained access after his league rematch. If it wasn't that, then something else he did before that worked. I don't think he worked more on his Battle Tree streak but I may be wrong.

Ryan_09

Speculation time: any created/caught Ratatta flagged as Gen 7 is considered an "Alolan Ratatta". Therefore the game automatically considers original Ratatta as an Alolan for breeding purposes. My hypothesis being that if you bred 2 original Ratatta flagged/from a previous Gen game, the game would consider them to be "true" original Ratatta that could produce more original Ratatta offspring.
*Ratatta could be any Alolan Form

Is it possible for someone to try this before bank gets its update?

Seil

Speculation time: any created/caught Ratatta flagged as Gen 7 is considered an "Alolan Ratatta". Therefore the game automatically considers original Ratatta as an Alolan for breeding purposes. My hypothesis being that if you bred 2 original Ratatta flagged/from a previous Gen game, the game would consider them to be "true" original Ratatta that could produde more original Ratatta offspring.
*Ratatta could be any Alolan Form

Is it possible for someone to try this before bank gets its update?

I can probably give it a go. While I don't like creating and injecting Pokemon, for the sake of testing stuff I'm willing.

Edit: It's correct to say the league rematch isn't what triggers the IV Judge.

Ryan_09

Thanks for humouring me. XD
Just one of those early morning/can't fall back asleep moments where you can't help but think. That would be odd if it were the way Alolan Formes are treated: not as their own true "species" (I'm going to use that term loosely because its 0400), but there has got to be a way to obtain a same OT ID/+ marked original form Pokémon.

It would be a huge deal because that may limit competitive availability of stuff like Drought Ninetails. Depending on what rules they run with later seasons of VGC.

Some FP stuff combing through the 4chan thread:
EV resetting meals cost 200 FP per stat (there was a screenshot)
Another post mentions something about cloning/hosting the high level shops costing 800 FP then the drinks are 100 FP each but no evidence was given so they might be rattling cages.

FP seem to be similar to Pokemiles; 2-4 for wonder trade, 50 for generic mission (you can host or join others) that takes a few minutes and the global missions will probably be a lot more plus I think you get them from NPCs in the plaza. I remember in Gen VI having a ridiculous amount of Pokemiles, buying 100s of rare candies and still having loads to spare.

Huh, that stinks I kinda wanted to give him a shot. How does he evolve again?

Something weird is going on with EVs and Call for help chaining/Power items. (Pokerus and power item enabled for everything)

I accidentaly killed the last Lilipup standing after killing 4 and my ATK EV had already gone from 100 to 252.

Then I checked by killing a single Caterpie and I gained 18 HP EVs.

Seil

Thanks for humouring me. XD
Just one of those early morning/can't fall back asleep moments where you can't help but think. That would be odd if it were the way Alolan Formes are treated: not as their own true "species" (I'm going to use that term loosely because its 0400), but there has got to be a way to obtain a same OT ID/+ marked original form Pokémon.

It would be a huge deal because that may limit competitive availability of stuff like Drought Ninetails. Depending on what rules they run with later seasons of VGC.

I threw together a couple AS Rattata, but they still gave me an Alolan offspring.

Now, there may be something I missed but I dunno. It's possible there may be some new flag that'll be set on things like rattata that are transferred up, which will make them capable of producing original form offspring. But that's purely speculation, and we very well could just be incapable of acquiring them in Gen VII. That would be unfortunate, though.

Something weird is going on with EVs and Call for help chaining/Power items. (Pokerus and power item enabled for everything)

I accidentaly killed the last Lilipup standing after killing 4 and my ATK EV had already gone from 100 to 252.

Then I checked by killing a single Caterpie and I gained 18 HP EVs.

Gee, thanks for giving me something else I want to test out instead of starting my Sun playthrough =p

Ryan_09

I threw together a couple AS Rattata, but they still gave me an Alolan offspring.

Now, there may be something I missed but I dunno. It's possible there may be some new flag that'll be set on things like rattata that are transferred up, which will make them capable of producing original form offspring. But that's purely speculation, and we very well could just be incapable of acquiring them in Gen VII. That would be unfortunate, though.

Ah well, thanks for trying. Seems like a pretty huge oversight by Game Freak. They're not usually ones to just forget about getting local (to each game) Pokémon in some form IE being able to take Deerling/Sawsbuck from Gen 5 and passing down their form in a Gen 6 game.

Maybe there's a new item or feature to be discovered? Maybe it has to be flagged with bank or absolutely needs the upcoming bank update? Maybe it's a glitch/oversight that can/will be patched? Too many questions, so much hyped. XD

Some more testing on the EV thing:

Defeating 2 Caterpie with Pokerus and power item

118 -> 190 = +72

18 for the first and 54(18*3) for the second.

It might be related to adrenaline orb itself still.

It seems like Game Freak does care ;']

EDIT:
Popped an Adrenaline Orb and killed a Caterpie -> +18 EVs.

Looks like it goes up with kills made in the chain.

Qurupeke

118 -> 190 = +72

Yooo. That's pretty awesome. It actually seems even better than hordes if that's the case.

Seil

I'm starting my own testing now.

My first results, killing a single caterpie.

No Pokerus or item: 1 HP EV
No Pokerus + Power Weight: 9 HP EVs
Pokerus, no item: 2 HP EVs
Pokerus + Power Weight: 18 HP EVs

Power items have been buffed from +4 EVs to +8. Pokerus remains doubled EVs.

Gonna test Macho Brace, then look into effects of chaining.

Forkball

If only there was some way to fight multiple Caterpies at the same time. Some sort of... cavalcade? Herd? Cluster? Flock? Pack? Can anyone think of a good name for a group of something, I'm running out of ideas.

Daemul

Spent some time playing around with Pkhex, tried out Marshadow in game, Jesus that boys signature move is broken.

Also, whoever said Shiny Solgaleo looked cool was full of shit, his shiny is ugly as fuck.

JoeM86

Some FP stuff combing through the 4chan thread:
EV resetting meals cost 200 FP per stat (there was a screenshot)
Another post mentions something about cloning/hosting the high level shops costing 800 FP then the drinks are 100 FP each but no evidence was given so they might be rattling cages.

FP seem to be similar to Pokemiles; 2-4 for wonder trade, 50 for generic mission (you can host or join others) that takes a few minutes and the global missions will probably be a lot more plus I think you get them from NPCs in the plaza. I remember in Gen VI having a ridiculous amount of Pokemiles, buying 100s of rare candies and still having loads to spare.

I wonder if Bank will give them rather than Poké Miles now

118 -> 190 = +72

EDIT:
Popped an Adrenaline Orb and killed a Caterpie -> +18 EVs.

Looks like it goes up with kills made in the chain.

Oooh this is something that requires testing.

If only there was some way to fight multiple Caterpies at the same time. Some sort of... cavalcade? Herd? Cluster? Flock? Pack? Can anyone think of a good name for a group of something, I'm running out of ideas.

Are you okay, love? Recovered from that meltdown you had earlier?

Delio

@_@ Power items being buffed would totally make those call for help battles a lot faster.

Seil

Gotcha, moving onto 4 kills:

144 = 18 + 54 + 36 +36

Looks like it corrects for only 18 being awarded for the first kill on the second kill by giving triple EVS and gives double from there.

I did 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 kills. This is correct.

The results with no modifiers are:

1 kill: 1 EV
2 kills: 4 EVs
3 kills: 6 EVs
4 kills: 8 EVs
5 kills: 10 EVs

So as you said, triple for the second kill, double for all that follow.

Also, while Power Items got buffed from +4 to +8, Macho Brace remains 2x.

Five kills with Pokerus + Power items is 180 EVs from Caterpie.

Seven kills with Pokerus + Power items would be 252 EVs.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

That's... if anything, better than hordes. I take back what I said earlier, this is actually a really good system and much more fun than hordes to boot.

Delio

Well then. That's not bad at all.

Forkball

Are you okay, love? Recovered from that meltdown you had earlier?

I've already canceled my preorder and I'm playing a real monster collecting game: Medabots Girls Mission.

I'm sure it will be a good game as all Pokemon games are. I was just hoping they were going to make real strides to reducing the effort it takes to make a competitively viable team, but it is still as obtuse as ever. There are also some other things that kind of sour my hype, like the lack of new Pokemon, a limited Dex, and the removal of features I really enjoyed in XY (hordes, restaurants, PSS etc.). But I primarily play Pokemon for the main adventure and not min/maxing, so if it delivers on that front it could still be in upper eschelon of Pokemon titles.

Qurupeke

Fantastic.

So, both evs and ivs are super easy to max. The only problem I see is if a good place for exp training exists, I've already seen those drinks that add 9 levels though. Everything seems so promising now.

Seil

I've already canceled my preorder and I'm playing a real monster collecting game: Medabots Girls Mission.

I'm sure it will be a good game as all Pokemon games are. I was just hoping they were going to make real strides to reducing the effort it takes to make a competitively viable team, but it is still as obtuse as ever. There are also some other things that kind of sour my hype, like the lack of new Pokemon, a limited Dex, and the removal of features I really enjoyed in XY (hordes, restaurants, PSS etc.). But I primarily play Pokemon for the main adventure and not min/maxing, so if it delivers on that front it could still be in upper eschelon of Pokemon titles.

While it's all a matter of opinion, I think this is my favorite Pokemon game in terms of the main story. I think they really nailed that (at least for the first playthrough, we'll see how the new story focus affects replays when I get around to Sun).

Pacing, characters, the region, all of that is pretty top notch in my opinion for a Pokemon game.

JoeM86

Nice work. I'll try and compile a list of prime places and SOS battles :)

Seil

Fantastic.

So, both evs and ivs are super easy to max. The only problem I see is if a good place for exp training exists, I've already seen those drinks that add 9 levels though. Everything seems so promising now.

I have a feeling those Festival Plaza level drinks/meals are going to be ridiculously valuable for anyone trying to make use of Hyper Training.

I'm still checking things out, but it's looking like EXP grinds are in a bad spot right now lol. And we have EXP scaling back, which means getting lower levels up will be easy, but getting to max when our opponents are all in their 60s is a different story x.x

Edit: However, much like with EVs, we may be missing something in regards to leveling. Who knows.

My original hope was that we could chain Chansey on Poni, but since my testing of the summoning mechanic has led me to believe Chansey won't call for more (since they're a special summon in the first place), that went nowhere.

Ryan_09

Two questions:

-Is there a visible *accurate* way to see/track EVs? I know we have the charts, but do they show specfic numbers? In XYORAS you could use a reset bag to temporarily see the EVs for several seconds.

-Are there any improvements to be breeding? I'm aware of the huge buff that the Nusery doesn't mess with level or the Pokémons' moves. Anything else like speed, IV hatching, convenience, or easier IVs? Anything really. XD

Venfayth

Does anyone know if they kept in the feature where it indicates that you've caught all the pokemon available to you on a route?

I think this was in ORAS but I'm not sure.

Seil

Two questions:

-Is there a visible *accurate* way to see/track EVs? I know we have the charts, but do they show specfic numbers? In XYORAS you could use a reset bag to temporarily see the EVs for several seconds.

-Are there any improvements to be breeding? I'm aware of the huge buff that the Nusery doesn't mess with level or the Pokémons' moves. Anything else like speed, IV hatching, convenience, or easier IVs? Anything really. XD

I'm currently unaware of a way to see actual EV numbers in game, but I can't say for certain.

As for breeding, the thing that makes me happiest is that genderless and male pokemon can pass down their balls now =p

I've not done enough testing in regards to stats and breeding yet to say if anything's changed there.

Speed of hatching seems okay even though we lack O-Powers. It took me 2-3 minutes charging on Tauros up and down the path with a Flame Body Pokemon to hatch a Miltank egg. So it should be 4-6 minutes for something like a Bagon. And of course you're working on multiple eggs at once.

Does anyone know if they kept in the feature where it indicates that you've caught all the pokemon available to you on a route?

I think this was in ORAS but I'm not sure.

Sadly not. And they've actually made it so some patches of grass can have a different selection of Pokemon than others. Much like the flower patches in X&Y, except it's just different patches of grass with nothing to distingiush them lol. The Pokedex's locator will mark which patches a Pokemon is available in, though, so long as you've seen it to register it.

Ryan_09

I'm currently unaware of a way to see actual EV numbers in game, but I can't say for certain.

As for breeding, the thing that makes me happiest is that genderless and male pokemon can pass down their balls now =p

I've not done enough testing in regards to stats and breeding yet to say if anything's changed there.

Speed of hatching seems okay even though we lack O-Powers. It took me 2-3 minutes charging on Tauros up and down the path with a Flame Body Pokemon to hatch a Miltank egg. So it should be 4-6 minutes for something like a Bagon. And of course you're working on multiple eggs at once.

I see. Hopefully we're not back to pen and paper again, or at least have a way to double check our work. Breeding time looks great! Not much different than level-3 hatching/flame body/mach bike.

Delio

It's a shame one of the ride Pokemin isn't a Rapidash that doubled as having Flame body effect. But ah well.

Seil

It's a shame one of the ride Pokemin isn't a Rapidash that doubled as having Flame body effect. But ah well.

To be fair, it wouldn't do much for us. We'd need one non-egg in our party regardless, and that might as well be a Flame Body Pokemon.

Unless, of course, its effect stacked with Flame Body like an O-Power, but it seems our hatch times are sufficient anyway.

Top Bottom