• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio to be shown off next week according to Jez C... (READ MOD POST)

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So guys, what are your guesses? Will it be Jaguar or Zen? Or perhaps something in between? I'm going with the last one. One person has now said it's not Jaguar, another one said the hardware is very impressive.

I'd bet it's not Jaguar. Who wants to do an avatar bet?

Sanke__

Wow Microsoft could fucking kill it if it is really digital foundry and they have multiple games to compare between PS4 pro XBone and Scorpio

That would be a strong move to show confidence in the hardware

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
But my whole point was how they are approaching those co-op multiplayer experiences. Where's the couch co-op stuff? Why are there F2P microtransactions in Halo, gears, why was fable a F2P moba style game that went nowhere?

That's my issue let games be games, and be behind them no matter what. QB should have been in essence the successor to alan wake. But they had tv stuff wrapped up that hampered how the development of that game went.

Like a lot of their games have had some kind of meddling or influence from up top.
It seems just now they are slowly getting away from thing's that were laid out in early xbox one days.

That's my issue. I have no problem if the game is online only, but it's shame xbox doesn't look at what their heritage is about which was coach co-op campaign's really long good ones, obscure western PC developed games, and online multiplayer or leaderboard games.

I see very little of that being the main focus in a lot of what they have put out library wise. like if RARE were given full reign would they have still made seas of thieves mostly online? Feel they would love to revisit old franchises as Rare replay was a love letter to their heritage and xbox's.

It's already mid 2017? unless they mean more like summer June/July?

I don't believe this, and without a source I think you're making assumptions
The tv stuff was a natural evolution of Remedy. They have been toying with that stuff since Max Payne.

Papacheeks

Banned
That's very much a chicken/egg problem. Without a good variety of games in a genre that appeals to a market segment they won't buy the hardware. Until you have enough of them with your hardware, they won't buy the games in sufficient volume for it to make an appealing business.

So it requires patience, insight, and an interest in expanding the appeal of your brand. Microsoft has been much more focused on going after big established market segments than fostering growth in smaller ones so this is pretty much par for the course in areas where they don't have strong leadership with both the necessary mandate and the trust of executive leadership.

Pretty much what I'v been trying to say. You have to lay some ground work that will cost money on the first IP, maybe you don't even break even but the path is there to expand and make it a broader appeal.

But my whole point was how they are approaching those co-op multiplayer experiences. Where's the couch co-op stuff? Why are there F2P microtransactions in Halo, gears, why was fable a F2P moba style game that went nowhere?

That's my issue let games be games, and be behind them no matter what. QB should have been in essence the successor to alan wake. But they had tv stuff wrapped up that hampered how the development of that game went.

Like a lot of their games have had some kind of meddling or influence from up top. It seems just now they are slowly getting away from thing's that were laid out in early xbox one days.

That's my issue. I have no problem if the game is online only, but it's shame xbox doesn't look at what their heritage is about which was coach co-op campaign's really long good ones, obscure western PC developed games, and online multiplayer or leaderboard games.

I see very little of that being the main focus in a lot of what they have put out library wise. like if RARE were given full reign would they have still made seas of thieves mostly online? Feel they would love to revisit old franchises as Rare replay was a love letter to their heritage and xbox's.

It's already mid 2017? unless they mean more like summer June/July?
Oh yes I understood your point, and I agree with you to an extent. I was just replying to the part of his post I bolded because I think it's an interesting topic

As for your post the unfortunate truth is that is just the way all multiplayer, competitive or coop, games are going these days. It's not just a Microsoft thing, it's an industry thing. The thing is, Destiny, COD, etc have found success doing these things. That's why we see Microsoft following suit

Also the tv stuff was Remedy's idea I believe

It doesn't look like Forza 7 will be shown off after all now though :(

Though I do wish cocky Dan would return

I'm tempering expectations for the information this week. I think game reveals will be saved for E3. Detailed, final specs will be discussed as the hardware must be finalized at this point. Perhaps some existing games shown running on scorpio (e.g. Halo 5 or forza) at 4K or some discussion on Forza 7 running at 4K/60 with no footage.

Next week? Thread title might need updating and, man, you guys sure know how to stay on-topic and avoid the console war junk...

A lot of people just like to compare and talk gaming as a whole and that can get mixed in with console wars.

Hopefully we can have a nice comparison thread set up for this like the forza/racing thread.

After it's revealed of course, this way there is no reason to have it spill over into specific threads and can be more ban worthy to point that it isn't allowed and that there is a thread for it.

It's one of the reasons why I think XPA is needed. If they manage to get a sizeable audience on Pc even a future Xbox one like mistep won't put them on a hard spot where there's no audience to buy their games.

I do hope they revisit those games now that xbone itself is in a better place and XPA is already a thing.

No, but one could put Sunset Overdrive up against that.
and it would come out on top

I just saw that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y68-fCU2FMQ

Never tried PSVR, just oculus, but if that is how games usually run on it (probably not, this look like a very cheap effort), then yeah, they should have made it Pro only XD

Look, I like XPA...no problem with it but as long as the majority of those games are in the Windows Store...it's going to be a tough sell for PC only gamers to care. Maybe things will change in the future though...

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You know someone from DF is in this thread with the answer to if it has Zen...And they are just sitting there...With the knowledge...Waiting.....

ResoRai

This is a perfectly valid point. Sony right now is focusing on their strengths, which are story driven single player games, much like Microsoft is focusing on their strengths, multiplayer focused games. Yes the lack of a big multiplayer game is a gap in Sony's lineup, but the thing is, there's so many huge third party mutliplayer games, significantly more than there were when Halo and Gears were at the peak of their popularity

Unless someone is super passionate about Halo and/or Gears, there's really no real reason to chose one console over the other. Conversely, while Xbox has had a few single player focused exclusives like Quantum Break, that just can't compare to Bloodborne, UC4, Horizon, etc. And I liked QB quite a bit

Another thing to consider is the buying habits of multiplayer fans vs single player fans. The average gamer who plays predominantly multiplayer games will usually chose one or two games a year and they keep them occupied until the next year. Again, unless it truly means something to someone that one of these games is Halo and/or Gears, it doesn't really matter which console they chose, so they follow their friends. Single player fans tend to buy more games each year, as once they beat the game they are currently playing they go buy the next release. And the undeniable truth is that there's more single player games available on PS4

My point with this is, while Sony doesn't have a big first party multiplayer game, they really don't need to. There's plenty of big third party ones on the platform, just because they aren't exclusive doesn't lessen their value to owners/potential owners of the console. As for single player fans, it's a far better bet to chose the console that in 2017 alone has seen the release of Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, Nioh, Horizon Zero Dawn, Nier Automata, and Persona 5 along with Resident Evil 7 and Mass Effect Andromeda, than the console that only has Resident Evil 7 and Mass Effect Andromeda

That is also why Microsoft's single player efforts haven't found much success this gen. People who are passionate about those games are on PS4. People who are passionate about multiplayer games are pretty split between both consoles
First, we can keep discussing this right? Haha. I've seen the mod post, but this seems like an ok discussion and not people slinging mess at one another.
You make a very good point.
But I have to say I feel like a lot of you guys treat multiplayer games differently than single player games. Like, look down on them in a way. Not a slight or anything lol.

When I read this:
...they really don't need to. There's plenty of big third party ones on the platform...

it sounded really weird to me. Like you said they are focusing on their strengths. And it's not like it's all multiplayer shooters coming up. They have big single player games coming this year.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I don't care what the official MS line is at the moment, or what Phil Spencer says in the coming months, SCORPIO will have exclusive games within 2 years of it launching. They aren't willing to say this yet as it could sacrifice sales in the short term of XONE S and other hardware.

We will see a full VR system implemented and exclusive games.

I've been tooting that horn, since day one of the codename Scorpio.

There's no way you keep that 1.2TFs of DDR3 and SRAM dead weight around your developer's necks, for very long.

Without question, whatever it is, MS will not utter the word Jaguar. Even if it is Jag lol

"Custom supercharged CPU" for the cleanest, purest 4K pixels is my guess

Better for them to come out and be honest then to lie and get fucked by misleading people into purchasing something they think they are getting.

The backlash would be devastating.

Papacheeks

Banned
Quantum Break imo, was on the same level as the first Uncharted just judged by today's standards. It needed a sequel to fully develope into something special but the makings of greatness were there. The concept was interesting, the tech was interesting, the story was better than most other things from 2016. I was pleasantly surprised.

QB was not on the same level though. Reviews of how it's story was perceived especially the TV stuff shows how it's writing,and characters were poor compared to something like what naughty dog put out.

Even though at the time the shooting for Uncharted 1 was not that great if at all satisfying it's story, characters where what kept you going.

QB had like max payne like sections for shooting, and then in-game or tv cutscenes. I agree the foundation was laid and maybe a sequel would have been great. But hopefully it wouldn't have been a by product of a changing Microsoft like QB and having their entertainment studios shut down who I believe originally did the pilot they showed people as seen in the game informer video

Look, I like XPA...no problem with it but as long as the majority of those games are in the Windows Store...it's going to be a tough sell for PC only gamers to care. Maybe things will change in the future though...
I think it's a tougher sell right now because there's little content. It's almost entirely Ms 1st and 2nd party from middle last year and an now rising support from id@xbox. I mean I look at the xpa session and still has less games in total than what comes to steam in a day XD

They need to work their asses to bring content to the store and an audience will follow, even if currently they can't cater to hardcore pc gamers. Oh, and they desperately need to iron out the issues and start offering more consumer facing features like wishlist, categories (it's unbelievable that they don't offer any option to filter games by genre), etc.

But in a perfect world where they have content and those issues are ironed out, and they offer many features I think XPA will be very important in the future of xbox.

A powerful box with good messaging and price is all MS needs. They are not missing any big games this holiday and will be able to parrot that all games will run best on Scorpio.

People weren't buying PS4's for 1st party content in the holiday season.

I've been saying this but nobody listens or they have short memories. When PS4 & XB1 were revealed, everyone was talking about power and the PS4 being the best place to play because it would run all the games at higher Rez & FR.

Sure, people talked about exclusives, but the main point of discussion for a very long time was power & native 1080p. As I said in another thread today, I had a lot of Xbox 360 friends jump ship for the PS4, solely for the promise of better performance, it had nothing to do with power.

It seems that people don't want to apply the same logic to Scorpio.

That's what I'm thinking. It will be based in Jaguar but maybe support some Zen features? I don't know I'm not up with this stuff. Wish I knew more. No way they go 100% Jag based in 2017

Exactly what I'm thinking as well. It would be so weird to just go with the same old Jaguar again if they actually have better options.

First, we can keep discussing this right? Haha. I've seen the mod post, but this seems like an ok discussion and not people slinging mess at one another.
You make a very good point.
But I have to say I feel like a lot of you guys treat multiplayer games differently than single player games. Like, look down on them in a way. Not a slight or anything lol.

When I read this:

it sounded really weird to me. Like you said they are focusing on their strengths. And it's not like it's all multiplayer shooters coming up. They have big single player games coming this year.
I don't see why we can't? Both of us have kept it civil and is more quality discussion than console warz bs. I have no ill will towards you and I don't get the sense that you have any towards me. If we can't, I'd gladly continue this via PM. I think it's a very interesting discussion to have

Anyway, I agree with what you said about how MP and SP games are viewed differently. Microsoft could show up at E3 and announce 10 new IP's, but if all of them are multiplayer focused many on gaf and the internet will shit on them

My reasoning behind the line that you quoted goes in line with my point about consumer buying habits for multiplayer vs single player gamers. I went more in depth on this matter in a different thread a few weeks ago that you can read here...

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=232585727

Regarding your last point, that's true. Hell, some of my most anticipated games for the rest of the year are Prey, RDR2, and Shadow of War. All third party single player games (tho RDR2 will def have a big MP focus as well) that are available on both platforms. But this harkens back to my point about consumer buying habits

iTehDroiD

Neo Member
I've been saying this but nobody listens or they have short memories. When PS4 & XB1 were revealed, everyone was talking about power and the PS4 being the best place to play because it would run all the games at higher Rez & FR.

Sure, people talked about exclusives, but the main point of discussion for a very long time was power & native 1080p. As I said in another thread today, I had a lot of Xbox 360 friends jump ship for the PS4, solely for the promise of better performance, it had nothing to do with power.

The problem was that Xbox One was just way too weak for a console in 2013. Games running in 720p are just unacceptable in 2013 and beyond.

icespide

Banned

you're trying to extrapolate GAF discussions to buying habits of the general consumer which often do not align

Papacheeks

Banned

Price,messaging, value perception backed up down the road with quality exclsuives or at least a look into the future kept people happy. And since so far pretty much all of those games they've shown from 2013, 2014 have released it gives consumers buying confidence in their purchase that it's a good investment.

With the cancellation of projects and shift into their main IP's they have exhausted already without showing long term New IP investment it's why so far there are so many threads, articles, and youtubers talking about the state of xbox.

You're not considering other factors like price, brand, etc...

If Playground Games are working on Forza Horizon 4 set in Japan and their new second studio is working on Fable 4 then y'all can put the lists away, I will have all I need.
2nd team at Playground is working on a multiplayer title, passed on by MS. As the post-mortem from Lionhead pointed at, MS higher ups told them during the pitch process there will never be a Table 4; don't pitch it.

Edit: multiplatform, not multiplayer. Sorry, damn autocorrect

Hexer06

2nd team at Playground is working on a multiplayer title, passed on by MS. As the post-mortem from Lionhead pointed at, MS higher ups told them during the pitch process there will never be a Table 4; don't pitch it.

Edit: multiplatform, not multiplayer. Sorry, damn autocorrect

We know that MS passed on whatever they pitched? How could anyone say no to them after what they've done with the Horizon series... That kinda makes me sad and mad, lol.

You might wanna correct "Table 4" to what I assume you mean is "Fable 4"? :p

Thank you kind citizen! :D

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So youre saying this is MS damage control?

No.

"
- As I wasn't sure whether or not DF or whoever would know about the XDK not being completed, I decided it was time to leak that info as it would become pertinent following any leaks they had. Any assertions that Scorpio isn't hitting 6 TF would've been false, as the XDK wasn't ready yet.

- After posting that, I found out that DF or whoever WASN'T leaking, but was instead collaborating with Microsoft to get a look at the system. I confirmed that info with several sources. "

Top Bottom