• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction unveiled/exposed

Un4

I liked Double Agent on the 360. Can't wait what the orginial SC team can do on the 360! The artwork and the new character style look awesome.

Odrion

Banned
Actually, one thing I thought was incredibly awesome about the first Splinter Cell is that when you finally meet up with the big important terrorist, the man whose plans were foiled by your actions, the man who you stalked in the shadows, had no idea who you actually were.

Maggot9

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks the lighting effects have degraded considerably across the SC games?

I mean in the original they were A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, and they got worse with every game..In Double Agent you can't even tell when you're in a shadow just by looking at the environment, you have to look at that little light..

Agreed, anyone?

I don't understand some of you. You're disappointed that the game is in broad daylight and that they're trying drastic new things with the storyline? If they made it like the first 3 Splinter Cell games, wouldn't you just be groaning about how its more of the same?

I've been a big fan of this series since day 1. At PAX 06 last year, the Double Agent demo was the highlight of my month. I think taking SC in new uncharted waters is EXACTLY what they need to be doing with a series like this. How many covert government missions can you take on anyway? This way, its more interesting and it places a lot of focus on SAM rather than the stealth. Sam is the star of the game. I like it that way. Between the games and the books, he's one of my favorite characters of all time.

yeah, as much as people belittle the story and game-world of SC for being trite and shallow and whatever else, Sam Fisher is an enduring character. reminds me a little of Garret from the Thief games, but with an extra helping of world-weariness.

The Splinter Cell franchise need something new... a Next Gen concept. If not... I don't give it a long time before it drops out of our mind.

Missions and missions and missions again... is boring. Splinter Cell needs a new Next Gen flow. I hope "Convisctions" is that one.

Splinter Cell is a really slow game, but sneaking.. grabbing... killing or knocking people down, sneaking, shooting in the head an enemy... It's actually becoming really boring and lacking of interactivity.

I love you Ubi, but this Splinter Cell seriously needs to be the one we are waiting since the end of the first Splinter Cell.

Uno Ill Nino said:
I don't understand some of you. You're disappointed that the game is in broad daylight and that they're trying drastic new things with the storyline? If they made it like the first 3 Splinter Cell games, wouldn't you just be groaning about how its more of the same?

No. I'd like to see a game in the vein of Chaos Theory, but upgraded to next-gen spec. The formula was awesome, and all it needs is new content and added technology. Maybe Fisher will die in this one, and we'll get to reboot as a new operative in future games. That'd be awesome.

xblarcade

HBW Knuckle5 said:
The Splinter Cell franchise need something new... a Next Gen concept. If not... I don't give it a long time before it drops out of our mind.

Missions and missions and missions again... is boring. Splinter Cell needs a new Next Gen flow. I hope "Convisctions" is that one.

Splinter Cell is a really slow game, but sneaking.. grabbing... killing or knocking people down, sneaking, shooting in the head an enemy... It's actually becoming really boring and lacking of interactivity.

I love you Ubi, but this Splinter Cell seriously needs to be the one we are waiting since the end of the first Splinter Cell.

Splinter Cell : Sandbox?

tiong_fi

fresquito said:
PAHAT POJAT!!! for God's sake, PAHAT POJAT!!!!

Also a horrible Finnish movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0323551/

postercopypp.jpg

test_account said:
:lol

(what does it mean btw?)

Bad boys.

Uncle said:
According to the pdf, the game takes place in broad daylight, but it's still a stealth game. About the plot:
They say that at the beginning of the game Sam learns that Anna Grimsdottir is in danger so Sam joins Third Echelon again in order to help. However Third Echelon is not what it used to be and in the first mission Sam gets false info and the wrong equipment, while his bosses are bickering amongst themselves about procedures, authority and such. Then Sam finds out that the threat to Anna comes from within the Third Echelon, quits and becomes a fugitive.

jackbauertreozy6.png

"Someone from inside CTU is leaking my damn stories to a French organization. I need you to get on this lead NOW"

recklessmind said:
You're way off. SP:CT was the "A" dev team. It's the even-numbered games that were done by the crap dev.

SC:pT and SC: DA were the even-numbered crappy games.

By skipping Chaos Theory, you missed out on one of the best games of last gen.

YES. Chaos Theory was ****ing fantastic.

RyuHayate

Man, it seems like Sam's appearance flip flops with every installment. In every Shanghai developed title, he looks considerably old. In the Montreal developed games, he looks significantly younger.

What gives? Is no one at Ubi Soft concerned with consistency?

Nick

I always forget to include Pandora Tomorrow on my best ever lists. It deserves it. I still consider the multiplayer to be one of the best experiences I've ever had with video games.

aaaaa0

PhoenixDark said:
Uncle said:
According to the pdf, the game takes place in broad daylight, but it's still a stealth game. About the plot:
They say that at the beginning of the game Sam learns that Anna Grimsdottir is in danger so Sam joins Third Echelon again in order to help. However Third Echelon is not what it used to be and in the first mission Sam gets false info and the wrong equipment, while his bosses are bickering amongst themselves about procedures, authority and such. Then Sam finds out that the threat to Anna comes from within the Third Echelon, quits and becomes a fugitive.
jackbauertreozy6.png

"Someone from inside CTU is leaking my damn stories to a French organization. I need you to get on this lead NOW"

LOL. Well played PhoenixDark, spot on. :lol

shuri

Banned
haha, I saw some ubisoft guy in the subway with a CONVICTION/UBISOFT hoodie the other day, I was wondering what it was all about..

Dave1988

So what's the story on the Xbox360 version. How does it end?
Does Enrica get killed and Sam swear revenge on Williams?

Deepblue

Banned
Dave1988 said:
So what's the story on the Xbox360 version. How does it end?
Does Enrica get killed and Sam swear revenge on Williams?
Depends how you play. In the "Hero" ending, Enrica stays alive and then Sam runs away from SWAT guys for some reason that is never explained.

Dave1988

Dizzan said:
This will be 360 and pc only right? no ps3 version?

I bet it'll be another SC1 thing. First Xbox360 exclusive then a few months later - WHAM! - PS3 version.

Deepblue said:
Depends how you play. In the "Hero" ending, Enrica stays alive and then Sam runs away from SWAT guys for some reason that is never explained.

Oh good. It pissed me off that she died no matter what I did in the PS2 version.

Dizzan said:
This will be 360 and pc only right? no ps3 version?

Timed exlusive, probably 6 months.

I love SC, so I'l happy I don't have to wait.

And going by this thread it seems like many people haven't played the superlative Chaos Theory. Go buy it NOW people. It's ****ing awesome and it's BC with X360. You can get it for less than $15 now. There's no excuse.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
SonnyBoy said:
I dont know about you guys but I'm yearning for some "traditional" SC gameplay, ie. the CIA mission.

Bring it. Sammy needs to go dark once again. It's the only place he belongs.

SC 1-3 were great. DA was a huge letdown. Back to the basics is what I say. I need to have that option of "do I waste him, or let him live". Skulking around like a schmoe was farking lame.

Snaku

Banned
Odrion said:
Actually, one thing I thought was incredibly awesome about the first Splinter Cell is that when you finally meet up with the big important terrorist, the man whose plans were foiled by your actions, the man who you stalked in the shadows, had no idea who you actually were.

And putting a bullet in his skull. :)

I loved that.

zoukka

Yah Finland on the spotlight! Its really phenomenal how the boys in "Pelaaja" have these connections all-around the world. I mean Splinter Cell 5 exclusive-material is huge!

I read the story yesterday and here`s all i remember. Hope it makes any sense. (i haven`t played any SC-games, but SC5 i WILL)

*some spoilers*

Sam is pretty pissed off to the organisation he worked in. He kinda tries to quit, and he becomes a FUGITIVE. Outlaw if you will. A woman she knows gets kidnapped and he goes for the rescue by himself. Without any support from anywhere and without his equipment. The emphasis on SC5 is using your surroundings. Apparently every single object in the game is usable and uses real physics. The developers have put really big amount of work on making the animations on SC5 the best there are. For example Sam can grab a chair while running and there is not a single/multi pre-made animations for this event. The chair has a certain amount of points where it can be grabbed and the "animation-motor" adjusts Sams arms so the animation is fluid and realistic. The Journalist who tested the game said it was still not finished, but the animations looked way better than ANYTHING he had ever seen in a game. Sounds great.

Sam cant kill cops, guards and such, but he can kill terrorists and other bad guys. He has a very good set of close combat skills and can push. and throw people around and this way knock them unconscious. (is that how its spelled?)

The demo level was a park with about 300 civilians. Sam had to make his way to a computer in a bar/office or something. Midst the crowd was some security personnel who were searching Sam. The devs told Pelaaja, that they tried to make the game so, that the gamers has free will over how the game progresses. So there isnt just a couple of linear and scripted ways to play the game. Sam could just blend in to the crowd easily and it was important not to show his face. Sam could "shadow" a person thus making his way to the Computer or he could smack some civilians causing a fuzz in the crowd. He could even blow up a gas tank and thus wreak panic among people. Making it easy to move through the crowd. If Sam causes too much ruckus though, the guards call some reinforcements from the company Sam worked. And they kill on sight.

CHOICE is another big aspect of the game for example if you get caught with another dude (a merchant of sorts/informant etc) you can decide if to help him/her to escape or to leave him to the cops. Of course he/her wont be there for you later on in the game.

*spoiler end*

Hope this gives you some image of the game. The magazine had some sweet screenshots of the game too. The tester was really hyped about the game and glad that they are doing something very new.

And yes its being developed exclusively for Xbox 360.

EDIT: No mentioning of the multiplayer in this article sorry.

jet1911

zoukka said:
Yah Finland on the spotlight! Its really phenomenal how the boys in "Pelaaja" have these connections all-around the world. I mean Splinter Cell 5 exclusive-material is huge!

I read the story yesterday and here`s all i remember. Hope it makes any sense. (i haven`t played any SC-games, but SC5 i WILL)

*some spoilers*

Sam is pretty pissed off to the organisation he worked in. He kinda tries to quit, and he becomes a FUGITIVE. Outlaw if you will. A woman she knows gets kidnapped and he goes for the rescue by himself. Without any support from anywhere and without his equipment. The emphasis on SC5 is using your surroundings. Apparently every single object in the game is usable and uses real physics. The developers have put really big amount of work on making the animations on SC5 the best there are. For example Sam can grab a chair while running and there is not a single/multi pre-made animations for this event. The chair has a certain amount of points where it can be grabbed and the "animation-motor" adjusts Sams arms so the animation is fluid and realistic. The Journalist who tested the game said it was still not finished, but the animations looked way better than ANYTHING he had ever seen in a game. Sounds great.

Sam cant kill cops, guards and such, but he can kill terrorists and other bad guys. He has a very good set of close combat skills and can push. and throw people around and this way knock them unconscious. (is that how its spelled?)

The demo level was a park with about 300 civilians. Sam had to make his way to a computer in a bar/office or something. Midst the crowd was some security personnel who were searching Sam. The devs told Pelaaja, that they tried to make the game so, that the gamers has free will over how the game progresses. So there isnt just a couple of linear and scripted ways to play the game. Sam could just blend in to the crowd easily and it was important not to show his face. Sam could "shadow" a person thus making his way to the Computer or he could smack some civilians causing a fuzz in the crowd. He could even blow up a gas tank and thus wreak panic among people. Making it easy to move through the crowd. If Sam causes too much ruckus though, the guards call some reinforcements from the company Sam worked. And they kill on sight.

CHOICE is another big aspect of the game for example if you get caught with another dude (a merchant of sorts/informant etc) you can decide if to help him/her to escape or to leave him to the cops. Of course he/her wont be there for you later on in the game.

*spoiler end*

Hope this gives you some image of the game. The magazine had some sweet screenshots of the game too. The tester was really hyped about the game and glad that they are doing something very new.

Sounds really interesting.

Maggot9

Banned
zoukka said:

*some spoilers*

*spoiler end*

Sounds like Assassins Creed a little bit...oh, and they also said CHOICE was a big part of Double Agent, yet those Directed Cutscenes or whatever they called them SUCKED.

Treo360

zoukka said:

*some spoilers*

*spoiler end*

So Splinter Cell meets Hitman?

Nick said:
I always forget to include Pandora Tomorrow on my best ever lists. It deserves it. I still consider the multiplayer to be one of the best experiences I've ever had with video games.
yeah, with the right people it was one of the most novel and exciting multiplayer games ever. shame about the single-player, which was almost entirely a retread.

Capo

zoukka said:

*some spoilers*

*spoiler end*

Sounds good, it reminds me of Hitman a little bit.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
RandomVince said:
On the slim chance anyone who can make it happen is reading - VS mode needs to be more like that in Pandora Tomorrow or Chaos Theory rather than Double Agent. No echo location. Proper hide-and-seek.

Seriously, that was a travesty that should have never happened! I was a huge Versus fan of the older versions. Nothing more satisfying than sneaking past real *human* mercenaries.Is this a X360 exclusive? If so, pah, I'll guess I'll be missing out.

zoukka

Lakitu said:
Sounds incredible, thanks. Nothing will top Chaos Theory though. We'll need some scans ASAP!

I first though of bringing the magazine to work and scanning the shots, but i love the dudes in Pelaaja so im not doing anything without permission sorry :)

I bet someone will scan them soon.

Vagrant

These shots look really good. I'm looking forward to seeing the animation and physics. I was a bit worried about it taking place completely in sunlight, but it at least looks like they're changing the gameplay to fit the daytime environment.

Top Bottom