• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction unveiled/exposed

PnCIa

I´m curious if Sam looks like an alcohol-addicted hobo throughout the whole game :lol
Is there a translation for the article available?

I'm also quite happy that they're changing this up. I absolutely adore Chaos Theory, but I'm happy to see them try something different with the franchse. It's just what it needs.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
2Qr. said:
Can anyone tell me what engine are they using on this one?
A very (very) upgraded version of the Chaos Theory engine, itself based on the first Splinter Cell engine, itself based on UE2.

JB1981

adg1034 said:
Nope. UE2. Confirmed in the magazine.

EDIT:

Yeah, since Sam has hair, amirite?

Seriously, though, a heavily modified UE2.
Nah. Not really. And I was right. So yeah.

PleoMax

Banned
It has some of the basic tools from U2. Rest is completely new obviously...

And it looks amazing, the lightning is just, wow

adg1034

JB1981 said:
Nah. Not really. And I was right. So yeah.

question_mark%20(WinCE).jpg

I was so hoping they'd use Scimitar for this, as the gameplay style it allows for would fix so much of the arbitrariness that has plagued SC lately.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Damn, looks really nice.

I hope they've improved the animation as well, I've never been a big fan of Splinter Cell movements.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
X26 said:
Looks awesome, SC is worth getting excited over for once

yup. that first shot with all the civilians is just wow (not wario wow, but "holy shit thats awesome" wow). cant wait to see and hear more. combat inpired by the bourne movies? sold. hope they can pull it off, i havent enjoyed a splinter cell title in a very long time

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, that looks absolutely fantastic! Here's hoping the game itself represents a massive leap forward for the franchise. I've always loved many of the concepts, but the execution was in need of work. I have no problems with a completely new approach.

I can't believe it's running on UE2, though. That's actually really disappointing to read as that likely will result in many of its limitations shining through. They've always produced excellent visuals using UE2 as a base, but there were many other issues beyond that which damaged the games (IMO).

It's really incredible what Ubi Montreal is able to get out of their original engine, even with how heavily upgraded it's gotten over the years. This looks superb, wow! :D

Splinter Cell is one of my favorite franchises; I was a bit worried with all the hate DA was getting around here, but from what I've played, (up to the third JBA mission-- which are a pain in the ass, admittedly-- but that's why I use walkthroughs, heh), it's actually rather enjoyable. Doesn't hurt that it was only $20 new, either.

It doesn't matter what anyone says, Shaghai picks great setpieces for the levels-- even better than Montreal, I'd say. When it comes to the games as a whole, though, Montreal really does make Shanghai look like a second-rate outfit. The first SC was brilliant, (especially the CIA level), and Chaos Theory is of course without peer. The Conviction team will have their work cut out topping that one, but their track record shows that they can deliver, dammit!

Luckyman

Banned
dark10x said:
I can't believe it's running on UE2, though. That's actually really disappointing to read as that likely will result in many of its limitations shining through. They've always produced excellent visuals using UE2 as a base, but there were many other issues beyond that which damaged the games (IMO).

Maybe the core is UE2 but they say everything else has been rebuilt. Starting from animation..

NMC2006

Banned
just looking at those screens makes me want Ubisoft to re-create the first 3 SC games for the 360 from the ground up, I would so love to play the original games in these visuals, DO IT UBI!!! PLEASE!!!!!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Luckyman said:
Maybe the core is UE2 but they say everything else has been rebuilt. Starting from animation..
I simply hope that the game will not be divided into smaller level chunks ala every other UE2 game ever created.

Looks brilliant, any word on a co-op campaign? Obviously such a side-story would not involve agents in support of Sam, but we really need to get the co-op back.

Tieno

GashPrex said:
Looks like the Jason Bourne version of splinter cell....which is a very good thing
Bourne movies have this excellent european/international and raw vibe to them that I just love. I hope they kind of base splinter cell on that.
I like Sam's scruffy and hairy look.

It could be U3 engine, but I think it's more like the Scimitar Engine for many reason. First, I know they are working on two other games... and ubisoft has to use this engine to make profits, because Assassin's Creed probably cost a lot...

adg1034

HBW Knuckle5 said:
It could be U3 engine, but I think it's more like the Scimitar Engine for many reason. First, I know they are working on two other games... and ubisoft has to use this engine to make profits, because Assassin's Creed probably cost a lot...

Again, no. It's a heavily, heavily modified UE2. How many times do we have to repeat this?

Blimblim said:
A very (very) upgraded version of the Chaos Theory engine, itself based on the first Splinter Cell engine, itself based on UE2.

_leech_ said:
Next-gen Splinter Cell finally arrives. With phizicks, too! :D

And awesome animations. I remember people griping about SC:DA's animations (i was one of them), it's nice to see they did something about that.

I have a translation from someone at GS http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25609743&page=0

- No more sneaking around in the shadows. Apparently you're going to be more like James Bond and infiltrate buildings in plain daylight. You won't have to use force or sneak around as long as you don't act suspiciously.

- According to the article, every single object that is rendered on screen has physical properties and most of them can be used by Sam. For example, Sam can pick up furniture and use it as a weapon, or throw printers at enemies or papers in the face of enemies to gain the upperhand in fights.

- Melee fights are much more than "press this button to hit" this time around. There's different context sensitive attack buttons and as mentioned before lots of environmental interaction.

- Some pretty negative comments about the ps3 made by the devs. They state the fact that they are exclusive to the 360 allows them to do much more than if they were multiplatform (duh) but they also state they doubt they would be able to achieve what they're doing with the game on the 360 on the ps3 even if it was ps3 exclusive.

The lead programmer told the magazine he doubts they would have been able to pull of the lightning effects they have right now on the ps3. That's the only thing they say straight out, but they do state they believe they're much better off on the 360.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Another game with a heavy focus on great animation... automatically shoots to the top of my list. Plus it's Splinter Cell. And it's influenced by the Bourne flicks...

I'm stoked.

This gen is all about animation and physics, for me. And decent writing.

Tieno

MiamiWesker said:

These concepts look like they're lifted straight from Assassin's Creed and applied to the splinter cell universe. Which is certainly not a bad thing.

You won't have to use force or sneak around as long as you don't act suspiciously - Social stealth in Assassin's Creed

Every single object that is rendered on screen has physical properties and most of them can be used by Sam. For example, Sam can pick up furniture and use it as a weapon, or throw printers at enemies or papers in the face of enemies to gain the upperhand in fights. - In Assassin's Creed Altir can grab on to anything that sticks out a certain length.

- Melee fights are much more than "press this button to hit" this time around. There's different context sensitive attack buttons and as mentioned before lots of environmental interaction. - Kind of reminds me of the fight part in the Assassin's Creed demo. (and the stuff Peter Molyneux was talking about at the Leipzig Gaming Convention last summer.

adg1034 said:
Again, no. It's a heavily, heavily modified UE2. How many times do we have to repeat this?

Trust me, it's not that I don't believe that Ubisoft is using a Ureal Enigne 2 engine modified to death.

I simply think that between a Unreal Enigne 2 modified, the Unreal Engine 3 (they have it, Rainbow Six Vegas uses it) & the Scimitar Engine from Assassin's Creed...

I would probably go with the Scimitar Engine. The scimitar Engine would be perfect for Splinter Cell Conviction, don't you think it makes more sense than an Old & modified Unreal Engine 2?

But everything is possible these days...

---> Splinter Cell Conviction seems to be the Splinter Cell I was waiting for all these years...

Danielsan

The screens look quite awsome. I can only hope that this game will be absolutely nothing like previous Splinter Cell games because those never clicked with me.

Top Bottom