• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction unveiled/exposed

AZ Greg

Shogmaster said:
Cue 30 pages GAF shenanigans. :lol

- Some pretty negative comments about the ps3 made by the devs. They state the fact that they are exclusive to the 360 allows them to do much more than if they were multiplatform (duh) but they also state they doubt they would be able to achieve what they're doing with the game on the 360 on the ps3 even if it was ps3 exclusive.

Kangu

Banned
AZ Greg said:
- Some pretty negative comments about the ps3 made by the devs. They state the fact that they are exclusive to the 360 allows them to do much more than if they were multiplatform (duh) but they also state they doubt they would be able to achieve what they're doing with the game on the 360 on the ps3 even if it was ps3 exclusive.

Wait till TOSE ports the game and proves them wrong!

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Grain of salt on the PS3 bashing, best to not go there.

Seriously, we need more than some gamespot forum member's translations for confirmation of what was said in the article, but GAF shenanigans have started from far less before so... ;)

Kangu said:
Wait till TOSE ports the game and proves them wrong!
Hahah, hmmm good joke. The PS3 super power is more a speculation than anything else.

But... the hardware is never making great games... Developers are doing it.

Kangu

Banned
Shogmaster said:
Translation A, meet translation B. FIGHT!!!! :lol

Shogmaster
Not genuinely interested in rational console debate.
(Today, 02:41 PM)
Reply | Quote

you really want to see some shit go down don't you?

Personally I'm shocked they aren't using the AC engine. All of this blending into a crowd in broad daylight apporach to stealth and the use of so many unique animations when you already have an engine which was practicaly built to handle that stuff makes you wonder.

I'll say the same thing I said about AC at any rate, if the gameplay is mission based count me out, if they can make it more cohesive and flowing I'm defintely interested.

FrankT

AZ Greg said:

Wow

[Reki]

Banned
Kangu said:
Personally I'm shocked they aren't using the AC engine. All of this blending into a crowd in broad daylight apporach to stealth and the use of so many unique animations when you already have an engine which was practicaly built to handle that stuff makes you wonder. .
You didn't consider the possibility of the AC engine being a modified version of the UE2.:)

Mrbob

This is based off of UE2? Wow.

Tieno said:
Exclusive development > multi-platform development

Agreed. We need more exclusive development in gaming. Multi platform development is homogenizing gaming to the point I wonder why we even have multiple systems available for purchase.

Max@GC

eso76 said:
Indeed looks like global illumination and radiosity, impressive indeed.

reminds me of kray plugin for lightwave.

http://www.kraytracing.com/index.php?subpage=3

sorry for the off topic but that uhm...render...just got me:)

dragon.jpg

[Reki] said:
You didn't consider the possibility of the AC engine being a modified version of the UE2.:)

More like a modified version of the Unreal Engine 3... far beyond Unreal Engine 2. We are not talking about the first Splinter Cell here.

adg1034

HBW Knuckle, you've got me wrong. I've been saying that the next SC should use the Scimitar engine since November (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128574), and I still think they should. However, with the official statement that Ubi is working on another game using the Scimitar engine (assuming it's not AC2 already), that means it's Prince of Persia, a pairing which should work well.

Some cool things I've noticed about these shots. I like how in the following shot the character sam is fighting is bracing for impact. You don't normally see character's react before they're interacted with, but it's something very natural to do, so it's great to see it implemented.
IMG_0003.JPG

Also, again on the topic of indirect reactions, notice the character at the very edge of the screen backing away in a surprised stance, and the other characters getting up.
IMG_0008.JPG

Anyhoo, these have probably been mentioned (haven't read the whole thread, just saw it), but they're worth mentioning again I think.

adg1034 said:
HBW Knuckle, you've got me wrong. I've been saying that the next SC should use the Scimitar engine since November (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128574), and I still think they should. However, with the official statement that Ubi is working on another game using the Scimitar engine (assuming it's not AC2 already), that means it's Prince of Persia, a pairing which should work well.

LOL oky, sorry and I know... LOL they told me it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
HBW Knuckle5 said:
It could be U3 engine, but I think it's more like the Scimitar Engine for many reason. First, I know they are working on two other games... and ubisoft has to use this engine to make profits, because Assassin's Creed probably cost a lot...

Nope. This has been spoken of as being BASED on UE2, but there is nothing left of it. Everything has been redone, lighting, animation system, etc. But it's not UE3 not Assassin's engine.

And YES this games looks awesome! Can't wait to see a video. The scans look incredible anyway, best lighting ever.

And grabbing people, and chairs, and anything, and throwing them around!

I expect the fighting system to let the player pull off battles like the one against the postman in Three Days of the Condor (1970s CIA agent on the run movie where they fight in a small apartment, throwing each other around, throwing objects, and shooting).

Maggot9 said:
what? i smell bullshit (about the article)

It's real.

HBW Knuckle5 said:
More like a modified version of the Unreal Engine 3... far beyond Unreal Engine 2. We are not talking about the first Splinter Cell here.

AC engine is not UE3 (it was made by Ubisoft). Ask Epic, they know these things;)

Sean

Banned
Wow that looks incredible. Hard to believe that's running on UE2, it puts most games to shame.

Interested in the gameplay too, seems to be drastically different.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
OMFG.

O M F G.

Wowowow I didn't see SC heading in this direction, AMAZING. AMAZING! SUPERB! LOL!!!

-edit I wonder if we'll see the goggles again.

pooteeweet said:
Spring 2008 then.

The game sounds (and looks) crazy good. Never was much of a fan of the creeping around in the dark shenanigans of old Splinter Cells. Conviction sounds refreshing. And yay for animations. And tossing stuff at people. This could potentially be a quite amusing game. I just hope they get the AI right too so people react in a proper way when I throw bananas at them. I think Euphoria, or something like it, would be a nifty addition to this game. Tossing staplers in people's faces and watch as they stumble around in shock and tip over a magazine rack as they fall on their ass would be great.

Draft

Absolutely amazing in stills. Can't wait to see how it animates. Splinter Cell and Chaos Theory were two of the best games made last gen, so hopes are high.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
VibratingDonkey said:
Spring 2008 then.

The game sounds (and looks) crazy good. Never was much of a fan of the creeping around in the dark shenanigans of old Splinter Cells. Conviction sounds refreshing. And yay for animations. And tossing stuff at people. This could potentially be a quite amusing game. I just hope they get the AI right too so people react in a proper way when I throw bananas at them. I think Euphoria, or something like it, would be a nifty addition to this game. Tossing staplers in people's faces and watch as they stumble around in shock and tip over a magazine rack as they fall on their ass would be great.

YES. It's what I've been waiting for from next-gen games: next-gen animations. And more specifically Euphoria-ish tech. I want it in MGS4, somehow doubt it will be anything like it (sadly :( ), and I expect it from Uncharted based on what they said.

Also in one of the screens you can see a stack of what appears to be newspaper on the desk. Notice how it is wrapped with plastic bands (so they don't have to deal with 200 pages of physics;) ). This is an indication of just how much stuff can be tossed around.

Now imagine how it goes when a gunfight goes off in that office!

Ether_Snake said:
Nope. This has been spoken of as being BASED on UE2, but there is nothing left of it. Everything has been redone, lighting, animation system, etc. But it's not UE3 not Assassin's engine.

And YES this games looks awesome! Can't wait to see a video. The scans look incredible anyway, best lighting ever.

And grabbing people, and chairs, and anything, and throwing them around!

I expect the fighting system to let the player pull off battles like the one against the postman in Three Days of the Condor (1970s CIA agent on the run movie where they fight in a small apartment, throwing each other around, throwing objects, and shooting).

It's real.

AC engine is not UE3 (it was made by Ubisoft). Ask Epic, they know these things;)
I'll ask them next week, monday maybe and I'll answer you correctly about the Splinter Cell Conviction Engine ;).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If you mean the scans of the magazine, Yep.

eshwaaz

Ether_Snake said:
YES. It's what I've been waiting for from next-gen games: next-gen animations. And more specifically Euphoria-ish tech. I want it in MGS4, somehow doubt it will be anything like it (sadly :( ), and I expect it from Uncharted based on what they said.

Also in one of the screens you can see a stack of what appears to be newspaper on the desk. Notice how it is wrapped with plastic bands (so they don't have to deal with 200 pages of physics;) ). This is an indication of just how much stuff can be tossed around.

Now imagine how it goes when a gunfight goes off in that office!

The hand-to-hand stuff sounds so cool I hadn't even thought of that... **drooooool** I'm a big fan of the series, but I'm thrilled that Ubisoft is moving in a new direction with it. As cool as Splinter Cell mechanics are, I feel like they've remained very much the same - four games with that approach is enough, IMO.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I do wonder how damage will be handled tho. Do you die if you get shot, or can you just go to some first aid kit and get your health back again?

I'm hoping they manage to pull off something good in that department. I hate to see such realistic games end up with the same old "I can get shot at a bunch of times but it's coo.". Surely someone will think of a clever way to make this more realistic without making the game extremely frustrating.

Thank goodness they're getting rid of the contrived darkness = stealth mechanic. About time SC had a change of direction, hope it's one long campaign, and not just a bunch of missions strung together (which it will be)

Another problem I have with SC, is that the story has no/little relation to the previous incarnation.

Ubi, please get the AI right this time. And I don't want this to be a bug fest.

Looking awesome.

jimbo

Banned
Wow. And to think, those are magazine scans. I knew an exclusive 360 SC would not dissapoint, but damn.....with those screens, they just completely revived the series and then some. I hope they still concentrate on the multiplayer. SC:DA's multi rocked!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hey maybe you'll have the chance to throw chairs at Ding Chavez!:)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
nelsonroyale said:
Whose Ding Chavez??

He's been the "main" character of Rainbox Six games. One of the team members. It would be cool to fight off against a swat team, and fighting against the R6 team would be even better (I hate the R6 characters, they're straight out of a bad movie). Trying to sneak out of a building but you can only go up as they come in from the lower floor, eventually bust into some apartment, block the door, head for the balcony, and try to climb out.

Ether_Snake said:
He's been the "main" character of Rainbox Six games. One of the team members. It would be cool to fight off against a swat team, and fighting against the R6 team would be even better (I hate the R6 characters, they're straight out of a bad movie). Trying to sneak out of a building but you can only go up as they come in from the lower floor, eventually bust into some apartment, block the door, head for the balcony, and try to climb out.

haha okay

Top Bottom