• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360) Official Japanese Release Thread

duckroll

Oh, I didn't know the English voices were that bad. Now that I have been enlightened by Mefisutoferesu I think I won't get the game after all. I can't stand bad lip sync, so no Japanese voices for me. Instead I'll just wait for FFXIII. :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
Oh, I didn't know the English voices were that bad. Now that I have been enlightened by Mefisutoferesu I think I won't get the game after all. I can't stand bad lip sync, so no Japanese voices for me. Instead I'll just wait for FFXIII. :(

You understand Japanese right? The fact that the lip syncing doesn't match the Japanese voice track is enough to ruin the game for you? Wow...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I think with some people you just cant win when it comes to english VA. there are a couple of games in which I like the dub a lot more than the original VO (Odin Sphere, Digital Devil Saga, Valkyrie Profile 2, FFXII to name a few).

that said, what I've heard of LO english VA is not bad at all but I havent heard enough of it to make a concrete opinion about it (only that english trailer released before, E3 2007? I believe).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
duckroll said:
:lol :lol

51cnSgU5o5L.jpg

Zefah said:
You understand Japanese right? The fact that the lip syncing doesn't match the Japanese voice track is enough to ruin the game for you? Wow...
Uh...

orio7

Banned
Mistwalker have amazing VO artist for their games. I'm playing Blue Dragon now because I got hyped for LO and the voices are very good. Well except, Marumaro but that's more of an attitude problem than the voice itself.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
golem said:
the graphics look alright.. but after mass effect, you realize how much further others need to go to catch up. jensen is hilarious though

I really wasn't that impressed with the graphics in Mass Effect. The characters looked great, but almost all of the environments (save the citadel, and maybe the last planet) looked pretty bad to me. Even some aspects of the characters, like female human hairstyles, and weapon models were pretty bad.

I really like Mass Effect and I've played through it twice already, but I wouldn't say graphics, on the whole, is its strongest point.

It definitely has Lost Odyssey beat in terms of character detail, but the environments and monster designs look awesome in Lost Odyssey.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
RBH said:

His post looked sincere to me.

Such sarcasm just didn't seem appropriate in response to Mefisutoferesu's post. Its not like he was telling people not to buy the game. He simply disagreed on the quality of the voice acting. Responding to that with such extreme sarcasm just didn't make sense to me.

Kildace

Zefah said:
I really wasn't that impressed with the graphics in Mass Effect. The characters looked great, but almost all of the environments (save the citadel, and maybe the last planet) looked pretty bad to me. Even some aspects of the characters, like female human hairstyles, and weapon models were pretty bad.

I really like Mass Effect and I've played through it twice already, but I wouldn't say graphics, on the whole, is its strongest point.

It definitely has Lost Odyssey beat in terms of character detail, but the environments and monster designs look awesome in Lost Odyssey.

I thought he meant that while LO has superior graphics, Mass Effect is more accomplished as an RPG.

I doubt many people think that Mass Effect looks better than LO. LO is stunning.

Fuu

·feist· said:
I love Inoue's art.

Is this the cover of an artbook? Anyone has info if there's anything of the sort planned?

Not a game guide or magazines with sketches, but a "true" artbook.

duckroll

Alaluef said:
I love Inoue's art.

Is this the cover of an artbook? Anyone has info if there's anything of the sort planned?

Not a game guide or magazines with sketches, but a "true" artbook.

Nope. No artbook is planned. If Blue Dragon was any indication, don't expect one either. That's the cover to the published form of the Thousand Years of Dreams short stories.

Fuu

duckroll said:
Nope. No artbook is planned. If Blue Dragon was any indication, don't expect one either. That's the cover to the published form of the Thousand Years of Dreams short stories.
I see, thanks.

It's kind of a waste though, getting high profile artist like Toriyama and Inoue to work on the games and not milk their art for all that it's worth. :-|

duckroll

Alaluef said:
I see, thanks.

It's kind of a waste though, getting high profile artist like Toriyama and Inoue to work on the games and not milk their art for all that it's worth. :-|

Yeah well, they must hate me. They know I love them artbooks and they're not releasing any just to spite me. :(

KTallguy

Banned
Is there any combat in the Gamersyde videos at all?
I've been scanning the vids but aside from the demo, I've found nothing really.

The world and music are really nice, and the character models are sharp, with great detail. Lip syncing is pretty poor in general. Camera work and effects look hot too.

I'm not against a story heavy game, but wow, how long does it take to reach the first battle?

FFChris

Mefisutoferesu said:
I'm sorry, but anyone saying the english VA is good needs to pull the cotton out of their ears and take another listen. It's really bad. I've heard worse, granted, but the VA is just bad... no two ways about. Hopefully, it improves a great deal after the 50 minute mark and I end up being wrong on the grand scale of things.

Sorry, but what on earth have you been listening to?

The voice acting is fantastic, how about you take the cotton wool out of yours?

KTallguy

Banned
FFChris said:
The voice acting is fantastic, how about you take the cotton wool out of yours?

Some of it is good, but some of it is pretty jarring. The dream sequence narrator's voice sounded really off.

FFChris

KTallguy said:
Some of it is good, but some of it is pretty jarring. The dream sequence narrator's voice sounded really off.

Which video is that in?

I think it's great personally. I've had nothing to complain about... though that may be because I hated the FFX VA so much I've always been looking for something, even sightly better in a JRPG.

From what I've seen all the characters voices fit, and none of the acting looks stupid. Which is more than good enough for me.

Zzoram

I was interested in this long ago, then negative buzz and Blue Dragon getting meh reviews turned me off. I just went to gametrailers and watched a bunch of videos and I'm at least impressed by the graphics and art direction. Maybe I'll get this game afterall, I'm in the mood for watching a good JRPG and this one is apparently more FMV than game :lol

Desiderus

Skilletor said:
I'd like the xp cap even more if there weren't random battles. Not like you can choose NOT to fight once you've reached that limit.

How are skills learned with the immortal linkage?
totally agree. I can't level up but there is no way to avoid this shit neither? I better have some pokemon repel or some no encounter skill to choose from.

Giard

I don't know if this has been asked yet, but how is the framerate in big battles? Slowdowns in Blue Dragon were pretty much the only thing I hated.

Once you're in battle, I've had no problem with the framerate, even with some of the bigger beasts through the first six hours. That was an area that bugged me about Blue Dragon too.

maskrider

duckroll said:
I still don't have the game yet, I hate delays. Once I get it I'll put a good 10 hours into it and report back. :D

Thanks. I read from local forums that there are unstable frame rates here and there so far, and it took 30 minutes to get to a starting point along with short battles.

I can only play games in short bursts nowadays, 0.5 to 1 hour max. If the pace is very slow for such short bursts, I will have to save it for later when I really have leisure. Ha ha !

I'll wait for more impression.

Luckyman

Banned
orio7 said:
But LO doesn't run like complete crap. ;)

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/840/840035p1.html

In the six hours that I've played so far, Lost Odyssey has been a technical mess, with framerate problems in just about every cinema and on most maps, an animation system that looks like it was ported straight from a PS2 engine, and frequent, inconsistent load times accompanied by visual stuttering as new data loads in.
Orly?

Matsuno

the same user posted by lebron :

First disc ended at 12:49. That was with reading all the novel extracts I found, talking to most of the towns people and searching every area for items ect (I want the All Chests achievement). However bosses killing me (happens a lot) and reloaded rather than continuing would have boosted the actual play time a little more than this.

My Xbox is two + years old and takes a real beating, especially in light of the recent slew of games, and so recently I've noticed the drive is taking slightly longer to load things than it did before. Still, the load times here are long - when a battle starts you are treated to magical cogs revolving, then the scenery you are going to be fighting in, then one of your characters saying something, then a full shot of your party getting ready to fight and then the camera spins to show your enemies and combat begins. It hasn't really started to annoy me yet though ^-^

What is annoying is when a boss kills you and you have to sit through mulitple "load-and-multi-part-skip" cutscenes to get back there. Anyone who failed the first shooting section in BD will know what I mean by this.

The split in the character types is really fantastic. The human characters are much weaker than the Immortals, and obviously run a fixed path. At some points they feel like nothing more than cattle for the Immortals to rob skills from ^-^ Not that they aren't useful in battle, but when one of them learns a new skill or you find a new accessory you have four characters (I have three of them now) who can then take that skill and mix it with every other skill there is. So you bascially get old school and totally customizable characters together.

The level cap system also means no one character can walk over every enemy that shows up. You know how after a while your Melee characters start to kill everything in one hit? (I'm looking at you Shu) Not happening here. Everyone is useful and the dyanmic with five characters in combat is just fanastic. Once I have all four Immortals I think my head might explode.

There is no limit on the number of skills a character can learn, but there are limits on how many they can have equipped. You need slots to equip them, and items called "Slot Nut" increase the number of slots. You can choose who to give these too and just find them in chests etc. so not sure if there is a maximum number of slots yet. Maybe but it looks high (I have 7 slots each for Kaim and Seth already.) The overall concept of having to raise the human characters to make your Immortals better is fantastic, too - when they learn a new skill it isn't just great for them, it opens up a whole new load of possibilities.

Anyway, I'm off to get back to it!

Jonnyram

If you want art, definitely buy that issue of SWITCH. It has pages upon pages of Lost Odyssey concept art.

Also, little tippy for people playing the game, after you save at a save point, if you go back to the title screen and load your saved game, you'll have full HP and MP. Why they didn't just give you this at the save point, I don't know, but this comes in pretty handy before and after boss fights.

In the six hours that I've played so far, Lost Odyssey has been a technical mess, with framerate problems in just about every cinema and on most maps, an animation system that looks like it was ported straight from a PS2 engine, and frequent, inconsistent load times accompanied by visual stuttering as new data loads in.
Why Haven't I noticed this in the first hour of the game in videos?

Nolan.

L0st Id3ntity said:
First day sales in japan:

LO = 40k = 50% of shipment

I guess 150k would be the maximum for LO. :(

Well it's already half of what BD did hopefully it does better...

also does anyone know if they will ship that SWITCH mag outside japan.?

Well if the game moved 50% of its shipment on day one, it has a good chance of being sold out in one week... So it's alright?

Also don't forget it's released on a weekend.

Though I'm really puzzled why MS didn't try to get out more out of LO in japan, it had the potential...

MCD

FFChris said:
The videos show it isn't. Besides, there aren't a lot of games that would ship with the problems ME had.

yes, and watch how reviewers will tear this apart for some technical problems.

I'm expecting 6-7 score here.

anyway, back to AC.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I was watching some videos on Niconico and the guy playing the game spent half a video stalking girls in town -_-

Top Bottom