• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F.E.A.R. 2 Demo

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I need a Fileplanet account, sad face

So any impressions anyone? Yes I know the op said it is incredible but maybe a little bit more detail. Comparisons and any changes from the first one for example?

Stuck at work here for another 5 hours or so...

PuppetSlave said:
So any impressions anyone? Yes I know the op said it is incredible but maybe a little bit more detail. Comparisons and any changes from the first one for example? Stuck at work here for another 5 hours or so...
Doesn't feel like you're walking on stilts anymore. True story.

JB1981

PS3 demo wasn't bad, framerate sucked though. I would like to see how the game turned out on 360. Will download (the mech suit is damn cool).

I didn't like the whole Mech thing - reeks of Riddick (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but still - it's the same shit)... and is nothing like FEAR 1.

Aside from that, I really don't know what to think of it. I want it to be awesome, but I just have a feeling it may turn into another Condemned 2 (aka FAIL).

I played the PS3 demo and really liked it, only two problems I had with it. First the mech just seemed really bizarre and out of place to me. Secondly what should I be killing exactly? I always shot at those yellow ghosts, are those actual enemies or just intended to fuck with my head?

GrayFoxPL

Revolutionary said:
I didn't like the whole Mech thing - reeks of Riddick (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but still - it's the same shit)... and is nothing like FEAR 1.

Aside from that, I really don't know what to think of it. I want it to be awesome, but I just have a feeling it may turn into another Condemned 2 (aka FAIL).

Don't be afraid to say it's dissapointing. I know it's not easy.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349018&page=7

Agree with me, Seiken and others?

Troidal

The mech was in F.E.A.R.1 too so now you can finally get to control one. Plus it's very Monolith style, like Shogo :)

Luken

story.jpg

Silver XBlox live members have to wait a week before being able to download Fear 2 demo. :(

Played the Ps3 demo, didn't like it. shitty controls and every button is mapped, the gunplay is weid when not in slow mo, movement is weird too, graphics are weak. the only good things I found about it were the weapons, it had pretty usefull guns and grenades which looked awesome in slow mo.

I enjoyed Fear1, but 2 doesn't cut it for me. a rental.

more streaming pc impressions; the controls are insanely good. really excellent feel to it. way better than the first game.

Luken said:
Silver XBlox live members have to wait a week before being able to download Fear 2 demo. :(
get a pc, you dirty poor.

that's probably a paradox.

Okay, just played through the demo again, this time on PC...
All the bells and whistles on/maxed out - steady 60fps. Very nice, Monolith.

As for the game - I thought the lean was taken out of just the console version due to key binding issues... But nope, it's not in the PC version either, which is nothing short of retarded (seriously, why??).

Eh... I still think this game is going to disappoint... :(

Luken

Joseph Merrick said:
get a pc, you dirty poor.

that's probably a paradox.

I'm saving the money to buy the game when it comes out.
X Box live is kind of expensive in Brazil if you don't know.

And I can't play any games on my Laptop.

Is there a site that let me download the Xbox live version of the demo on my pendrive?

360 impressions:

Feels reaaally weird, although that is coming off the back of several months of very little but L4D. I know it's part of Monolith's schtick to give you a much more physical sense of movement, but I'm not sure how I feel about it here.

Graphics are definitely a step up from the 360 port of F.E.A.R., but I'm not sure I like the grain/grime filter that is on everything, and there are generally too many visual effects, which sort of overloads and defuses the 'scary' sections (yes, there may be blood and bodies smeared across the ceiling, but if I can't see them very well, what's the point?). Also, Monolith are really pounding the 'shocking' flashes of Alma/swingset. A lot of the tricks are wearing off, and the environments don't feel real or grounded enough to really scare (the school should have been good, but the section with the ghosts in there was tedious). Didn't notice any framerate hitches except in the section where the train falls. The one part where the visual overload made sense was all the distortion in the mech as it gets progressively fucked up. On the other hand, the mech sucks: did not want, do not want.

On-foot gunplay/AI feels similar to the first, if a little less fluid. Everything looks and sounds more futuristic this time out, which I'm unsure about. Slow-mo shotgunning someone is still insanely satisfying, but there's a... chunkiness to all the weapons I'm not sure about. I feel like the-little-robot-that-could even when not in mechanised armour, rather than a scaredy little human with guns.

I mean, I enjoyed myself, and it's probably a day one purchase barring negative reviews, but it's quite a change from F.E.A.R. in tone, presentation, and feel.

Kuroyume

Banned
I enjoyed it. The only thing I didn't like was the mech section. It didn't look that good
(especially after playing MGS4)
and it wasn't much fun. Btw, what heppened to the health system? I thought they were using regen but it seems like only the mech regenerates its health.

DeeVoc

Neo Member
Got a little bit in before work and was pretty impressed. AI showed itself pretty nicely in the full encounters with enemies knocking over items and taking cover behind them as well as working together to attempt to flank me if I turtled while waiting for slowmo to build. The game might be a bit too dark with too many lighting tricks going on at times. I got stuck in a bathroom in the school for a good 5min because I couldn't find the door.

Sort of forgot how to play the series, but I was reminded you can't go in guns blazing pretty early on :eek:

MMaRsu

Banned
Played the 360 demo, it was allright. Too many 'scares' though. You know, alma flashes.

If you want to play a really scary game, and how to make a scary atmosphere, check out Condemned. Much better. But different game, impressions on this.

This game is pretty good, but the controls aren't as tight as I would have wanted. Also is the weird lightening on soldiers when you use slowdown in the pc version as well? It sucks :/

Mohonky

Didn't mind it.

I don't find these games scary though. I don't think I've ever been scared of a game, at least not since Doom 3. The creepy lil girl thing is meh. The combat is fun and feels nicely weighted but theres nothing overly 'special' about the series for me. Nothing leaps out at me anyway. The mech was kind of cool but that'll be one of those 5-10min sections every now and then just to break shit up.

1-D_FTW

I remember when Gamer's Hell use to be awesome. Guess I'll just wait for my "favorite" mega-corporation to host it on their gaming site (they may be a day or two late sometimes, but it's always max speed downloads for me.)

Truant

MMaRsu said:
Played the 360 demo, it was allright. Too many 'scares' though. You know, alma flashes.

If you want to play a really scary game, and how to make a scary atmosphere, check out Condemned. Much better. But different game, impressions on this.

This game is pretty good, but the controls aren't as tight as I would have wanted. Also is the weird lightening on soldiers when you use slowdown in the pc version as well? It sucks :/

Ironic.

They're from the same developer.

Top Bottom