• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F.E.A.R. 2 Demo

aeolist

Banned
Weird looking HUD

Is it like FEAR 1 in that there are shooting bits and then scary bits and then shooting bits and they're very clearly differentiated so you're trained to never really be scared by the scary bits since you know they don't ever actually do anything to you?

Danne-Danger said:
My rig:
7900GTX
AMD 5000+
2GB ram

The game recommended setting everything to maximum and it all ran smoothly, I'd say you're OK.

Wow, that's some excellent optimisation then, downloading now.

kodt

Banned
aeolist said:
Weird looking HUD

Is it like FEAR 1 in that there are shooting bits and then scary bits and then shooting bits and they're very clearly differentiated so you're trained to never really be scared by the scary bits since you know they don't ever actually do anything to you?

You could die in some of the scary bits in FEAR 1.

Rapping Granny said:
Played the Ps3 demo, didn't like it. shitty controls and every button is mapped, the gunplay is weid when not in slow mo, movement is weird too, graphics are weak. the only good things I found about it were the weapons, it had pretty usefull guns and grenades which looked awesome in slow mo.

I enjoyed Fear1, but 2 doesn't cut it for me. a rental.

Agreed. I have never played FEAR 1, but I played the FEAR 2 demo and it was horrible imho. Really ugly graphics, weak gunplay, in-cohesive story/atmosphere...not to mention slow motion in first person games needs to stop. One of the most uninspired games I've played and I have no intention of checking it out after the demo.

Was looking forward to it since people seemed to like the original so much.

aeolist

Banned
kodt said:
You could die in some of the scary bits in FEAR 1.
Either that only happened near the end when the stupid boring ghost enemies started coming at you and weren't really scary or it could happen earlier and was so difficult to do that I never managed it on any of my playthroughs.

either I'm doing something wrong or even the PC version is messed up

-even when setting it to 1680x1050, the game played in 16:9 with black bars...uh, what?
-the game wouldn't let me bind the side mouse buttons
-there was no way to turn off the horrible grain filter
-seemingly was perfect with all settings maxed, but a weird stutter every once in a while

hwateber

McBacon said:
I prefer the Bottom ones.
2606311666_46ce3beae8.jpg

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Linkzg said:

-even when setting it to 1680x1050, the game played in 16:9 with black bars...uh, what?Yep
-the game wouldn't let me bind the side mouse buttonsDidn't try.
-there was no way to turn off the horrible grain filterI don't think you can. :(
-seemingly was perfect with all settings maxed, but a weird stutter every once in a whileHappened to me quite often, sucked.

BeeDog

Tried out the PC demo just now, reminded me enough of F.E.A.R. one (which I was afraid it wouldn't be able to do), which was nice enough. I love how chunky it is to shoot enemies, and the environments were cool in the demo.

I played the demo at 1280x1024, but the game has these horrible black borders at the top and bottom, just as with Mirror's Edge, ugh. Isn't there ANY way to fill the aspect ratio of the screen? Talk about awful consolitis. I also noticed the small stutters like some here at random points (like the game would freeze a split second or so).

Linkzg said:

-even when setting it to 1680x1050, the game played in 16:9 with black bars...uh, what?
-the game wouldn't let me bind the side mouse buttons
-there was no way to turn off the horrible grain filter
Yeah, sucks even more on a 4:3 monitor. :/

Mouse thing sucks as well, I used to have slowdown on a thumb button but now I can't.

Oh well.

Danne-Danger said:
Yeah, sucks even more on a 4:3 monitor. :/

Mouse thing sucks as well, I used to have slowdown on a thumb button but now I can't.

Oh well.

I'm sure some tweaks to the config file will be able to sort this out in the full version. Its not an issue for me as my screen is 16:9 but its an awful precedent to set.

JBuccCP

I thought it was pretty good. Never played the first one though. Movement is kinda slow. I liked the guns though, it was kind of creepy at some points but the scary parts were somewhat conventional, ghosts flashing, dudes floating around on the ceiling, etc. I saw that one guy who got blown up and his head was in the toilet. The graphics look like a Source engine game to me. I've hard the AI was good in the first one, couldn't really tell here.

-SD-

Banned
What a fart from the past this demo (PC) was.

Are people really going to buy this crap? I'm sorry for my trollish tone, but I can't help but feel this way.

My ps3 managed to win the download race versus my computer so I tried that version. I have just canceled the pc version download.

I liked the shooting bits actually(shotgun from close range in slowmo was nice) but the ghost parts... how dull.

If reviews praise the multi on this then maybe...

Rolf NB

*barf*
I think the graphics are kind of alright technically, but the weird fov and the blur and the grain make me not want to look at the screen while playing the game. That's a problem.
Shittiest control mapping ever. Click the left stick to sprint, seriously? No options to remap controls or even pick from a few popular mappings, seriously?
Otherwise it's still FEAR alright, and that's not a good thing. Hollow scares. Enemies that stream their laughable voice announcements through a sub-dimension where sound is not subject to distance attenuation. UI from hell. Neat physics and special effects but nothing to love.

I'm just happy that the demo download was relatively small.

Buy Timeshift instead.

Dante

HATED the demo. Kept hearing nothing but praise for the series, especially the AI. What I witnessed was nothing special. The scripted flipping of tables and car doors was kinda neat, but what good is that when you can walk right up and take em out with ease, or even worse slow down time and get a one hit kill with the sniper rifle. Bland boring hallway levels, and a messy control scheme.

Mech section was kinda cool though.

How scary is it? I'm generally really horrible with scary games. Hell, even a surprise headcrab pounce was enough to get me to jump.

I just got my new PC yesterday so I'm ready to finally play PC games again

AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-core 2.2Ghz
4gigs of Ram
Radeon HD 4850

READY TO GO

Mohonky

Private Hoffman said:
Agreed. I have never played FEAR 1, but I played the FEAR 2 demo and it was horrible imho. Really ugly graphics, weak gunplay, in-cohesive story/atmosphere...not to mention slow motion in first person games needs to stop. One of the most uninspired games I've played and I have no intention of checking it out after the demo.

Was looking forward to it since people seemed to like the original so much.

How can you ascertain that a game has an weak or incoherent story from a demo.....especially when you never played the original : /

DeeVoc

Neo Member
Mohonky said:
How can you ascertain that a game has an weak or incoherent story from a demo.....especially when you never played the original : /

We're all shocked he's not interested in a shooter that's going to compete directly with you-know-what . . .

kodt

Banned
Mohonky said:

so true :lol "I watched that movie for 5 minutes, the story sucked!!!1"

Mrbob

I'll grab the PC demo this weekend....got the 360 demo in the meantime thanks to its dirty peasant textures of a 750MB download compared to the glorious pc master demo of 1.8gb which was taking forever to download.

Seriously, I can understand the frustration of people with the demo. It is pretty linear. I'm guessing it is the first area but still, the combat didn't feel like FEAR. It felt more akin to a shooting gallery since you are moving mostly head on in the demo. Even the mech part was weak. Hold fire button down, move forward tunnel vision style. No part really scared me either...but this isn't a huge deal. FEAR didn't offer that many thrills either. Played for the excellent enemy AI combat which is sorely lacking in this demo.

I'm sure the final copy will have branching paths for the AI to tactically strike you down. I did enjoy ripping down the enviroment for portable cover. The controls did feel a bit sluggish on 360, but then I finished the original FEAR on my PC. I want to play the demo on the PC this weekend to get a better feel for the demo, but I don't think it will rise above mediocre. Having said this, I'm sure the final version will be much better but I think I'll be waiting on a price drop for this one.

-amount of aliasing in PS3 version makes me want to stab something. Present in 360 version, but not quite as prevalent.

-A few cases of slowdown in PS3 version not found in it's counterpart (clearly visible during opening w/ downed helicopter). It's intermittent, though, and doesn't really creep up during firefights, strangely.

-Texture work seems identical.

-R2 for shooting was a bad idea.

-Really, this game isn't a necessarily pretty one on either console, but it seems like a decent port job, so far.

Druz

Mrbob said:
I'll grab the PC demo this weekend....got the 360 demo in the meantime thanks to its dirty peasant textures of a 750MB download compared to the glorious pc master demo of 1.8gb which was taking forever to download.

Seriously, I can understand the frustration of people with the demo. It is pretty linear. I'm guessing it is the first area but still, the combat didn't feel like FEAR. It felt more akin to a shooting gallery since you are moving mostly head on in the demo. Even the mech part was weak. Hold fire button down, move forward tunnel vision style. No part really scared me either...but this isn't a huge deal. FEAR didn't offer that many thrills either. Played for the excellent enemy AI combat which is sorely lacking in this demo.

I'm sure the final copy will have branching paths for the AI to tactically strike you down. I did enjoy ripping down the enviroment for portable cover. The controls did feel a bit sluggish on 360, but then I finished the original FEAR on my PC. I want to play the demo on the PC this weekend to get a better feel for the demo, but I don't think it will rise above mediocre. Having said this, I'm sure the final version will be much better but I think I'll be waiting on a price drop for this one.

Laughable movement speeds annoying PRESS E TO PICK UP forced widescreen mode no more leaning

THANKS CONSOLES YOU RUINED ANOTHER ONE APPRECIATE IT.

Demo review:

- Not very scary.
- Graphics and frame-rate were both pretty meh. The grain doesn't help.
- Gunplay seems worse than last. Guns have NO WEIGHT to them.
- You can push desks and stuff but there's no cover system so pointless.

+ Still had fun.

Druz

DevelopmentArrested said:
Demo review:

- Not very scary.

+ Still had fun.

Uhh cover system = Duck behind the fucking thing just like your grandparents used to do.
if they added a Gears style cover system it'd have been another thing they ruined.

My FPS was in the 100's with everything maxxed, sometimes it'd drop to 30 for no reason that I could see. The filters make the game look better than it does.

bee

pretty good, playing at 1080p on pc so no black bars :p really more of a fear hater than fan, so yeah i was surprised that i liked it

eshwaaz

Demo review:

- Not very scary.

+ Still had fun.

That's my biggest issue with the demo - the guns feel like they're empty, hollow shells with no mass. Also, the freaky-scary moments that were still somewhat fresh in the first game are tired and completely predictable now. I almost wish that Monolith had just made a completely new game instead of a sequel, and I'm speaking as a big fan of the first F.E.A.R.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah I had stutters too, hell the game froze for 5 seconds right after the level loaded.
And whenever there's dynamic shadows around the FPS takes a noticable hit. I can probably "Fix" this by just turning AA off completely. I don't care that much about jaggies anyway.

Other than that though, it ran amazingly well. Feels better than the original but I think they bumped the difficulty down a bit?

Normal mode is pretty much Easy mode.

Druz

Stoney Mason said:
I love this sort of trolling. Blame your dev. Not teh evil consoles.

No I do.. just spitballin here. Potential console sales probably gave the game a bigger budget so it's not all bad.

lol how did they dumb it down for pc if the consoles versions run like ass anyways?

Features being changed or cut so spergazoids can handle whats going on in-game with a controller. It running like shit isn't a complaint for the PS3 version. I'll have to try the demo on the 360 to see how the performance is.

I never understand this "guns have no weight" complaint that people have about certain games...

What is weight? Recoil? Animation? Serious question.

Nizz

Gowans007 said:
WOW!!!! just downloaded and played the 360 demo and WOW & from goign to keeping an eye on it to I can't wait. This is how you do a demo.

I played FEAR on PC (and checked out the 360 demo) but this sequel is really taking it up again.

The visuals are great it runs smooth as butter and I love all the atmospheric effects. It looks really really good and definatly has a very Killzone 2 vibe to it.

The control was soild, COD4 scheme but a little stiff, maybe its the style of the game I can always make it higher but I never had a problem with it.

The enemys are a lot more advanced but in a subtle way from FEAR. FEAR's AI was way above its time now everyone has caught up but I did feel flanked and had to do an awesome thing where I pushed down cover to hide behind (or open a car door).

The weapons seem solid and varied, plenty to try in the demo.

The UI works great, highlighting exactly what you can pickup or use without getting in the way or taking you out of the action.

The Slowdown is the same as always and so hand in a push.

And the Mech well is EPIC try it for yourself and see.

Very Impressed.
Good to hear. What's not good to hear is that it doesn't seem to be running as smooth on PS3 :( I'll get to download the demo later when the Playstation store updates so I'll see for myself if it's true. I really liked F.E.A.R. 1 on 360. I didn't pick up the PS3 version of F.E.A.R. because the port pretty much blew. Hope the sequel turns out better. Those PC screens look fantastic! I want to get a capable PC in the future to play these games on it, plus games like Crysis. But for now, it's PS3 for me...

JRW

Just finished the PC demo and thought it was good but nothing over the top stellar, Ill still buy it.

I was able to play it 1600x1000 max settings around 60fps , my cpu is the main bottleneck in this pc. (X2 4800+ dual core cpu / Evga GTX 260 core 216 superclocked edition / 2gb ram)

The game has black bars on my 16:10 monitor which is wierd and I didnt see an actual screenshot key (had to do the printscrn key / paste method)

Clip.jpg

fistfulofmetal said:
I just got my new PC yesterday so I'm ready to finally play PC games again

AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-core 2.2Ghz
4gigs of Ram
Radeon HD 4850

READY TO GO

You should really OC that Phenom, its going to be a major bottleneck in games that aren't optimised for quads (which is most of them). Its only a couple of hours of work, and well worth the investment.

Top Bottom