• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F.E.A.R. 2 Demo

Dante

Stoney Mason said:
I never understand this "guns have no weight" complaint that people have about certain games...

What is weight? Recoil? Animation? Serious question.

Also the way they move, the turning axis, not feeling like a cursor moving on a tripod. Compare COD4 to L4d for to see a pretty stark contrast in the way the guns feel.

Ricker

Awesome demo...to me the inside corridor part looked just like the first F.E.A.R.,which I loved,with added effects like the blood looking better and that blue effect when you go into slo-mo...and the outside part,with the Mech part later on was good also,although with the Merc,when a lot was going on,I noticed some slowdowns on the 360...Day one.

Dante said:
Also the way they move, the turning axis, not feeling like a cursor moving on a tripod. Compare COD4 to L4d for to see a pretty stark contrast in the way the guns feel.

Well that's what I mean. To me they felt like they had "weight". To me Valve games generally feel floaty and without weight if I had to assign that word. These felt more heavy to me than that. And aiming down the line for me tends to naturally make weapons feel heavier in a subjective sense.

FerranMG

Stoney Mason said:
I never understand this "guns have no weight" complaint that people have about certain games...

It's a mix recoil, sound, power...

Don't know, they just feel like fireing a toy weapon.

My impressions of the demo:

- On the first place, the so called oh! amazing AI didn't impress me at all. Like three or four times happened to me that I was shooting a guy who was covering behind a table/car/whatever, but he didn't move at all. It seemd like the system thought the guy was taking cover and therefore I could not see him, but I could easily aim to one of his shoulders and shoot there till he died. Not cool.
- The camera moves too much while running.
- Weapons feel like toys.
- Didn't like the art at all. Not that it has bad graphics, but come on, futuristic soldiers, destroied train stations and a crying misterious girl?

brain_stew said:
You should really OC that Phenom, its going to be a major bottleneck in games that aren't optimised for quads (which is most of them). Its only a couple of hours of work, and well worth the investment.

I hath no experience with overclocking. I'd love a PM with explaining the steps involved!

Druz

FerranMG said:
It's a mix recoil, sound, power...

Don't know, they just feel like fireing a toy weapon.

My impressions of the demo:

- On the first place, the so called oh! amazing AI didn't impress me at all. Like three or four times happened to me that I was shooting a guy who was covering behind a table/car/whatever, but he didn't move at all. It seemd like the system thought the guy was taking cover and therefore I could not see him, but I could easily aim to one of his shoulders and shoot there till he died. Not cool.
- The camera moves too much while running.
- Weapons feel like toys.
- Didn't like the art at all. Not that it has bad graphics, but come on, futuristic soldiers, destroied train stations and a crying misterious girl?

touché

Boonoo

Anyone able to download this on steam yet? They're showing the demo, but nothing happens when I click to download/install.

Mrbob

Druz said:
Laughable movement speeds annoying PRESS E TO PICK UP forced widescreen mode no more leaning

THANKS CONSOLES YOU RUINED ANOTHER ONE APPRECIATE IT.

Once you have an item you can just run over it and it will pick up automatically.

Hearing about no leaning in the PC version does suck. Also if there isn't a native 16:10 mode and 4:3 this is disappointing as well. Well, you 4:3 panel owners should have a 16:10 set by now but no native 16:10 setting is fail sadly. :/ Chalk up another case of console-itis in the realm of pc gaming, hurray.

A.R.K

nubbe said:
New_Picture.jpg

After the KZ2 visuals, most of the games look really cheap in terms of graphics(based on these screens, these looks really awful). KZ2 has raised the bar so high its really bad for other games coming out.
Will try it on my PS3 and trying to dl the PC demo but going real slow.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MvmntInGrn said:
:lol

Look at the wheels on the cart, they are squares.
wat tha

Hunter D

A.R.K said:
After the KZ2 visuals, most of the games look really cheap in terms of graphics(based on these screens, these looks really awful). KZ2 has raised the bar so high its really bad for other games coming out.
Will try it on my PS3 and trying to dl the PC demo but going real slow.
KZ really does show up in every thread now.

A.R.K

MvmntInGrn said:
Overall I really like the visuals though. Quite detailed.

are you kidding me??? look at those textures (or should I say the lack of)! its ugly. May be if I could undo the awesomeness of KZ2 from my eyes and memories I can see from your perspective? :D

JRW

Hopefully the full version of Fear 2 has higher texture detail on 360.. I took a couple comparison shots with my digicam:

Xbox 360 (1080p):
360_texturedetail.jpg

PC (Max gfx settings):
PC_texturedetail.jpg

Figured it would be fair if I used my digicam for both shots rather than use a direct screenshot from PC ver.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Can anyone confirm 360 pad support in the PC version? I'm going to try the demo later, but I would rather play this on PC.

It has to do with the relation of the weapon model to the player camera and general movement. Monolith games have always done a very poor job with this aspect.

Just tried the 360 version. Was pretty good. I don't like the bright colorful blood though, to cartoony. Weapons are fun, but combat shotgun seems less powerful. I also prefer the look of the old assault rifle. Gameplay was straight up F.E.A.R though, run and gun action! I liked it well enough I will probably pick it up at launch. Sometimes though I wish Monolith would make another humorous game instead of all these serious crime/military stories.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
dark10x said:
Can anyone confirm 360 pad support in the PC version? I'm going to try the demo later, but I would rather play this on PC.
Just played it. No controller support :mad:

Game was alright, though not a day1 purchase. Exactly how many genres did they put in this? :p Probably might try it later when it gets cheaper. Wasn't that scary. The woman suddenly grabbing me at the movie theater did shock my heart though. :lol

Also, cool effects!

BeeDog

dark10x said:

What the hell man, I like you and all but if you're gonna play it on the PC at the very least use the superior control scheme (aka keyboard + mouse).

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
BeeDog said:
What the hell man, I like you and all but if you're gonna play it on the PC at the very least use the superior control scheme (aka keyboard + mouse).
Hard to play like that from the couch!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BeeDog said:
Hunching over the coffee table is very uncomfortable!

commissar

My best description I can think of for FEAR 2 is bland and uninteresting.

It's not at all scary, the weapons felt quite weak to me at times, those mutant creatures were a bit shit (made the game feel like far cry's mutants, or more like red faction come to think of it :/), and the dialogue is pretty horrible.

It's not a bad game at all, it's good at what it does, I just wouldn't play any more of it personally.

Just finished it a little while ago, not that impressed, though I still look forward to the full version. It was super easy, the only time I even bothered using slow mo was at the beginign when they told you to (I got through most of the originalg ame with out using it too). I dunno what you guys mean by the demo being long, because it's not at all. The graphics are ok but nothing great in this day in age. I ran everything at max, but like everyone else here playing the PC version, it stuttered often. There was one part in the demo that made me jump though (in the theatre).

360 version >>>>>> all over ps3 version. After buying qore and playing the ps3 demo i really liked it, but the 360 version looks cleaner, runs smoother, and controls more fluid than the ps3 version.

Blutonium said:
The guys hating on the visuals should get a decent fucking PC. This game looks awesome.

Looks stunning in motion at 1080p60hz. Please take the KZ2 crap out of this thread, sure the PS3 version may not be much cop but that's a million miles away from what its like on a decent PC with much higher resolution textures, better effects, (presumably, not sure on that one) twice the resolution, twice the framerate and loads more AA/AF.

dark10x said:

It has to do with the relation of the weapon model to the player camera and general movement. Monolith games have always done a very poor job with this aspect.

Its a Games For Windows title so 360 pad support is a definite goer.

My main complaint really is the random stutters, framerate is silky smooth so it seems to be a bug where randomly the game will stutter, and lack of leaning, hopefully both are sorted for the full version.

Druz

Stoney Mason said:
The PC defense force worst nightmare. Comfy couch now makes gamepads optional...

<--- comfy couch is the PC defense worst nightmare as a banana is the atheists worst nightmare,

Crye

Downloading now but at 100-150kb/s 1.8GB is gonna take awhile.

I thought I'd jump on PSN see if I could grab is faster, this version is 678mb! Are these even the same demos!? Or is the PC version just packing some seriously high res textures etc? :lol
I might D/L both and check em out. :S

aasoncott

Played the PS3 demo. It was a ton of fun, but what the hell was with the frame rate? The whole demo felt like it was just barely chugging through, and the constant motion blur left me with a bit of a headache after.

Brakara

Really enjoyed the demo. And the graphics, controls, and weapons were much improved from the first F.E.A.R. demo (where they were so bad that I never bought the game).

Nizz

Broadbandito said:
360 version >>>>>> all over ps3 version. After buying qore and playing the ps3 demo i really liked it, but the 360 version looks cleaner, runs smoother, and controls more fluid than the ps3 version.
Just what I was worried about. :( I mean, cool that the 360 version is turning out great, but it sucks that the PS3 version seems to be kinda gimped. *sigh*

PC demo was great. I was skeptical about the game after I saw some bitching in this thread, but IMO it was uncalled for. The graphics are good but the gameplay is awesome! Definitely getting this when it hits steam.

Top Bottom