• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F.E.A.R. 2 Demo

2qa0prt.png

it's very hard to get shots of adult Alma.

also, doesn't seem to be working right with SLI yet. i see no performance difference with it on or off.

also, no pad support in the demo at least.

WTFing

Banned
A.R.K said:
After the KZ2 visuals, most of the games look really cheap in terms of graphics(based on these screens, these looks really awful). KZ2 has raised the bar so high its really bad for other games coming out.
Will try it on my PS3 and trying to dl the PC demo but going real slow.
That's why I am not even downloading this demo. KILLZONE2, that's the game I want in my PS3. Fuck this multiplatform games.

Nikorasu

Wow, the ps3 demo was good, but the pc version is a totally different experience! Ran at 1080p 4xAA vsync on and never dropped. I have to say this game -needs- a mouse, keyboard, and smooth framerate - it's only about a hundred times more fun.

My anticipation for this just hit another plateau.

Chris Remo said:
:lol

Bugnology said:
That's why I am not even downloading this demo. KILLZONE2, that's the game I want in my PS3. Fuck this multiplatform games.
wait, why are you even in this thread? killzone 2 is going to suck ass. fear2 was already named the game of the year. plus, it's got better controls and better combat. way better level design, better ai. it's just better. killzone 2 is just a simple call of duty rip-off, fear is its own thing. just give it up and download the demo.

here's a plan guys, we don't need everyone that isn't downloading the demo shitting up the thread about the demo.

also, you're asking for it going on about Killzone 2 in a thread with lots of PC gamers. consider it fair warning.

here's another screenshot of this apparently awful looking game.

ncmqhi.jpg

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Bugnology said:
I'm looking forward to KZ2 as well but this is ridiculous. I like FPS, I liked FEAR, I'm at least going to check out this demo.

BeeDog

plagiarize said:
here's a plan guys, we don't need everyone that isn't downloading the demo shitting up the thread about the demo.

also, you're asking for it going on about Killzone 2 in a thread with lots of PC gamers. consider it fair warning.

snip

The game looks awesome, yeah, but it's a fucking shame the game has black fucking borders, argh! It actually fucks up some of the immersion imo.

BeeDog said:
The game looks awesome, yeah, but it's a fucking shame the game has black fucking borders, argh! It actually fucks up some of the immersion imo.
black borders don't really bother me actually. i'd rather them than the game be in the wrong aspect ratio you know? but yeah, i get where some people are coming from too.

i'm just so used to seeing them. until 16:10 becomes seen as more standard than 16:9 best to get used to them.

i'm a bit unsure about the demo at this point actually. it's mostly the sound... and couldn't you lean in the first FEAR or am i making that up? i want to be able to lean in this for some reason. maybe it's cause of Crysis. shrug.

second time through the demo was a lot more fun. i was playing it really tentatively... been a while since i played a run and gun kind of shooter. once i upped my pace i enjoyed it more... but yeah, the guns need a bit more BOOM. the first FEAR had sweet gun sounds didn't it?

A.R.K

plagiarize said:

my comments were not meant for the PC version as I do not compare PC version to console version for any game since it is not a fair comparison..so PCDF please calm down and enjoy! I should have put the fine print :)

Joseph Merrick said:
wait, why are you even in this thread? killzone 2 is going to suck ass. fear2 was already named the game of the year. plus, it's got better controls and better combat. way better level design, better ai. it's just better. killzone 2 is just a simple call of duty rip-off, fear is its own thing. just give it up and download the demo.
You can't be serious. Please tell me you're joking. :lol :lol :lol

Barakov

Gold Member
Just played the PC demo. The black bars are irritating but really didn't ruin the experience for me. This game plays so much better with a mouse and keyboard.

plagiarize said:

ncmqhi.jpg

The full screen filters like this really help to make the visuals pop. The original looked far too sterile at times, but the film grain and various post effects in this sequal really improve the overall look. The super high resolution of the textures really help as well. All of that without any seemingly major hits on performance over the original. Really quite impressive stuff.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Chris Remo said:
Last weekend, my friend and I played Far Cry 2 PC "co-op" for several hours--that is, we passed the mouse and keyboard back and forth on a padded tray, sitting on a comfy couch and playing on a big HDTV.

Also, we made this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfldSvjKphk
I imagine it works for some. I tried it multiple times, but it puts me off. Somehow I always have to sit in a big desk chair at a big desk to play FPS well, especially online.

I have to respectfully request people decline from quoting huge pictures. It really makes threads like these terrible to scroll, especially at work on my computer with relatively low resolution and speed.

Mrbob

plagiarize said:
black borders don't really bother me actually. i'd rather them than the game be in the wrong aspect ratio you know? but yeah, i get where some people are coming from too.

i'm just so used to seeing them. until 16:10 becomes seen as more standard than 16:9 best to get used to them.

i'm a bit unsure about the demo at this point actually. it's mostly the sound... and couldn't you lean in the first FEAR or am i making that up? i want to be able to lean in this for some reason. maybe it's cause of Crysis. shrug.

second time through the demo was a lot more fun. i was playing it really tentatively... been a while since i played a run and gun kind of shooter. once i upped my pace i enjoyed it more... but yeah, the guns need a bit more BOOM. the first FEAR had sweet gun sounds didn't it?

16:10 is common for PC LCD monitors....pretty big oversight not having any support for it. Basically shows this is a console port than being made with the PC in mind.

VaLiancY

Feels great so far, the mech part breaks up the action, the guns feel great, melee feels refreshing. I just miss my wall pivot where you could look around corners but other than that, I have open arms for FEAR 2. And it runs really good on my aging X1650PRO AGP which surprised me big time.

Mrbob said:
16:10 is common for PC LCD monitors....pretty big oversight not having any support for it. Basically shows this is a console port than being made with the PC in mind.
As if the removal of lean wasn't any indication...
The game has been dumbed down. BOOO Monolith!!

Nikorasu

People have such a skewed notion of what looks good or not in games. There are ALWAYS people saying EVERY game looks ugly compared to something else in some area.
Something running at a fluid 60fps makes a massive difference in image quality that simply can't be conveyed by still shots. Not that those still shots are ugly by any means. Honestly, I've played every major graphics powerhouse out there on pc AND consoles and I was still wowed by the atmosphere and detail. Maybe I'm just not exceedingly cynical for no real reason. I guess I'll just have to keep convincing myself that I'm actually having fun with this apparently ugly, bland game. :|

1-D_FTW

Mrbob said:

It's not really an oversight. Most games can render at whatever effing resolution you give them. This falls into the angry-forum-poster-clique of "lazy developer."

As someone who's posted quite a bit defending the original FEAR (which really isn't liked that much on these boards), I'm really disappointed by this demo. The graphics (aside from the huge letterbox if you're playing on a 4:3 CRT) are VERY good. This is not an ugly game. But I'm actually surprised you can navigate the menus with the mouse, because this is one step short of that kind of console port. This is gonna go over great with the PC crowd. Cause they just love games that give them the finger. I predict PC sales come in as #3 platform. And considering how beloved Monolith is, that's pretty sad.

Nikorasu

Joseph Merrick said:
I'd agree with you, if the console version wasn't completely shitty and the pc not so deliciously smooth and nice to control.

Yeah, the moment i booted it up i could tell it was a heavily consolized game. The menus themselves gave it away. I'm playing on a 1080p hdtv so I don't have the black bar issue, but the lack of lean is noticable. But as you say, once you're actually playing the game at 60fps with such responsive and smooth controls all of that seems completely irrelevant. This is a pc game with a few console-like traits, not the other way around.

McLovin

I'm using an hdtv as a monitor and it won't display whatever the default resolution is. Anyone know what file I have to edit to get it to run at 1920x1080 or at least make it windowed?

Druz said:
DO NOT BE AFRAID
THE COCONUT IS THE CHRISTIAN'S NIGHTMARE FRUIT.

i don't see letterboxing as a sign of anything personally. mirror's edge has it, and is a brilliant PC port... and has something in common with FEAR 2 in terms of how much you're supposed to see your own arms and legs in the game.

it's difficult to finely balance something like that and support three different aspect ratios i'd imagine. kind of like how shitty the arms look in Bioshock when you play in 4:3 or use that increased FOV thing.

letterboxing doesn't rob my enjoyment of the game anymore than it robs my enjoyment of a movie... and 16:9 on a 16:10 display is about as minor letterboxing as you can get.

i am going to pick up the full game cause the demo did creep me out... but i am less excited at this point. the first one had that 'it's fun to fire a gun in an empty room' kind of feeling, and this one just doesn't seem to have it so much.

again, i think a lot of that is the sound... and yeah, i do miss leaning. i don't see why they couldn't let us PC owners lean.

come to think of it, the first FEAR didn't support 16:10 resolutions EITHER. maybe got them patched in later, but i remember bitching about it. then you didn't even get letterboxing... you just got the wrong aspect ratio instead.

this is preferable.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Just played through the PC demo. While the game has high production values, there's something off about it. It's like it feels... like a game from 2005. I don't mean that from a visual perspective to note, but rather just the whole way the game is designed. Walking through assorted corridors, having square room shootouts with guys in power armor, a slow-mo button, and a really illogically placed vehicle section. The whole world also feels as if it lacks a logical reasoning behind it, but was constructed solely for the purpose of a video game.

While I wouldn't call this a bad game by any means, as for what it is it's quite well done, but it does feel quite dated to me at least.

VaLiancY

I use a 16:10 monitor and it doesn't bother me so much and its something that could be patched. I'm just happy I get a second FEAR title again since the only FPS that's been keeping me up is L4D and TF2. I wonder if this is will be available on Steam?

Cday

Banned
This game has no identity judging from the demo only. Sometimes it's too much like Jericho and sometimes it's too much like Legendary. Which isn't a problem per se but it also doesn't do anything in particular very well (not even AI), which is a problem.

They should of just built off of FEAR. Which was a great game.

Zeliard

plagiarize said:
come to think of it, the first FEAR didn't support 16:10 resolutions EITHER. maybe got them patched in later, but i remember bitching about it. then you didn't even get letterboxing... you just got the wrong aspect ratio instead.

this is preferable.

The first FEAR had limited resolution options through the menu, but you could simply go into the config and adjust the resolution there accordingly, and it worked fine with no letterboxing. Does this demo have that option?

Ryuuga

Banned
Zeliard said:
You've gotta be kidding me. No 16:10?

Who said that? I was just playing with 1440x900 resolution.

EDIT: Oh...you meant without letterboxing. Hm Nope :(

This is an amazing game. Visually stunning and has an awesome atmosphere (I thought the learning slides in some of the classrooms were a great touch) I didn't play the original F.E.A.R beyond the demos at the time because my PC couldn't handle it. Should I go back and play the first one before playing this one? I figure that I could just read up on the backstory a bit since this game takes 30 minutes before the end of the first one. Or so I've heard.

VaLiancY

Ryuuga said:
Who said that? I was just playing with 1440x900 resolution.

This is an amazing game. Visually stunning and has an awesome atmosphere (I thought the learning slides in some of the classrooms were a great touch) I didn't play the original F.E.A.R beyond the demos at the time because my PC couldn't handle it. Should I go back and play the first one before playing this one? I figure that I could just read up on the backstory a bit since this game takes 30 minutes before the end of the first one. Or so I've heard.

Go back and play the first game, it's really a gem and still holds up today as a fun game by itself. The story isn't super complicated and by the end of it you'll get the whole gist of it.

Crye

Went ahead and played the PS3 version, yea seems pretty good.
Seems like there was some fps issues, nothing bad just... annoying. Graphics aren't too pretty but not bad either.

Impressed with some little niceties, hearing the AI shout out my position, rolling on the floor when caught on fire, opening car doors for cover was good to see. I hated the first game because it was just so damn repetitive, can't really tell if this game suffers the same fate from just a demo but it seemed to keep the variety up. :D

Have to admit the game got me at one point ;p Shortly before you leave the subway... I didn't wanna have to look behind me after that bit for quite a while ;p I'll check out PC version tomorrow with a good headset because I think I missed out on half the experience with the sound coming from half way across the room. :-/

Nikorasu

Nirolak said:
Just played through the PC demo. While the game has high production values, there's something off about it. It's like it feels... like a game from 2005. I don't mean that from a visual perspective to note, but rather just the whole way the game is designed. Walking through assorted corridors, having square room shootouts with guys in power armor, a slow-mo button, and a really illogically placed vehicle section. The whole world also feels as if it lacks a logical reasoning behind it, but was constructed solely for the purpose of a video game.

While I wouldn't call this a bad game by any means, as for what it is it's quite well done, but it does feel quite dated to me at least.

That's because the demo is cobbled together from various parts of the full game (at least that's what it seems like). The demo for the first game did the same thing.

Joseph Merrick said:
what joking? it happened right here earlier in the thread, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14473932&postcount=79
:lol
What about the other part of your ridiculous post? The "FEAR 2 is better than KZ2 in every way imagineable!" part? It's funny because I highly doubt you've even played KZ2 to pass your judgment.
I'm not saying you're WRONG (I don't know - I haven't played KZ2 either) but your post was laughable for that reason.

I'd agree with you, if the console version wasn't completely shitty and the pc not so deliciously smooth and nice to control.
Well that's because gaming-quality computers are typically better at running games than the 360 or PS3. Naturally, it'll feel smoother and better to control at 60fps.

Anyway, the removal of lean is huge for the gameplay IMO, and it's clear that it's due to the consoles.

In FEAR 1 + expansions (yes, I know they're not canon but the gameplay stayed true to that of the original, unlike FEAR 2), 9 out 10 battles you had would involve you leaning around corners, objects, etc. and battling that way. (I rarely use slo-mo - makes the game too easy)
In this one, your only options are to stand in the open and shoot, or crouch behind an object you pushed over and shoot... and all the objects I pushed over in the demo left my head exposed.
...or to take the easy route and use slo-mo all the time (lame).
It's retarded.

Mrbob

VaLiancY said:
I use a 16:10 monitor and it doesn't bother me so much and its something that could be patched. I'm just happy I get a second FEAR title again since the only FPS that's been keeping me up is L4D and TF2. I wonder if this is will be available on Steam?

Yes, it is on the coming soon page on steam.

FLEABttn

Banned
plagiarize said:

Patched in later. FEAR properly supporting 16:10 and FEAR 2 not seems sort of stupid.

Nirolak said:

I love corridors shooters. I've player damn near every semi-"free roaming" fps that's hit the market and they never do quite the same for me that corridors shooters do.

Ryuuga

Banned
VaLiancY said:
Go back and play the first game, it's really a gem and still holds up today as a fun game by itself. The story isn't super complicated and by the end of it you'll get the whole gist of it.

Will do. I'll probably pick it up along with F2.

Zeliard said:
The first FEAR had limited resolution options through the menu, but you could simply go into the config and adjust the resolution there accordingly, and it worked fine with no letterboxing. Does this demo have that option?
i believe not. having delved into the ini files yet though.

Revolutionary said:
Well that's because gaming-quality computers are typically better at running games than the 360 or PS3. Naturally, it'll feel smoother and better to control at 60fps.
PC computing power and the keyboard/mouse can't explain away why they wouldn't put in the effort to make the console ports as good as possible, and why it just feels so great on the PC. What can explain it is their clear PC bias and hours upon hours of programming it to feel just right.

And yeah, I must admit I didn't really like the first F.E.A.R. The controls always felt lagged and destroyed by being tied to the animations so much.

apoc_reg

Neo Member
Great demo (PC here, runs terriffic on Q6600) but no way im playing it in LETTERBOX!

I know others have mentioned it but i had to throw my hat in the ring, for a new game to have letterbox at 4:3 and 16:10....

Thats a deal breaker for me, ugly big hud anyway but this just looks sooooo bad. Going backwards!

It was the same in PC mirrors edge, pathetic!

Nikorasu

apoc_reg said:
Great demo (PC here, runs terriffic on Q6600) but no way im playing it in LETTERBOX!

I know others have mentioned it but i had to throw my hat in the ring, for a new game to have letterbox at 4:3 and 16:10....

Thats a deal breaker for me, ugly big hud anyway but this just looks sooooo bad. Going backwards!

It was the same in PC mirrors edge, pathetic!

I label you a whiner.

Top Bottom