• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Perry's Twitter: PSP2 Coming, Has No UMD

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
David Perry apparently Twittered details about the PSP2 yesterday. Not sure why this didn't show up sooner, but I'm guessing it's because almost no one reads his Twitter...

David Perry said:
I hear Sony FINALLY has the PSP 2. And thank goodness, they've removed the stupid battery-sucking UMD disc drive. I'm excited!

Source: http://twitter.com/dperry (The second newest Twitter)

David Perry strikes me as a more reliable source than we've been getting lately so this seems like quite interesting news.

Edit:

MAJOR UPDATE:

Credit to Twix for the find: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14915750&postcount=156

Perry: PSP 2 is Real, Could Hit This Fall
By Brian Crecente, 1:00 PM on Wed Feb 25 2009, 910 views

The a UMD-free Playstation Portable 2 is indeed real and could hit as early as this fall, David Perry, chief creative officer at Acclaim, told Kotaku today.

"I spoke to a developer who is working on it right now," he said. "I know this developer is already working on it, so that means they have a prototype. That would sound like a fall release to me."

Perry said he is excited about the news.

"I've been pounding on Sony for a long time to make the Playstation Portable relevant and not to let Apple stroll away with the portable game market," he said. "Look at what Apple is doing now. Why are so many investors investing in Apple game development? Trying to pitch a PSP game to investors right now is brutal."

The idea of a UMD-free Playstation Portable begs the question of how games will be loaded onto the device.

Perry believe it will be done through digital downloads and direct connect to a computer.

The ultimate goal, he says, is for the Playstation Portabel to go 100 percent digital. Not only would that allow Sony to have a more direct connection with their customers and get a larger piece of the sales pie, it would essentially kill the used game sales market.

As a stop gap to keep retailers like GameStop interested in selling the Playstation Portable 2, which they make little to no money on, Perry thinks that Sony would at least initially sell games for the device on Memory Sticks, as they currently do with some movies, or with pre-paid cards.

As for backwards compatibility, it stands to reason, Perry says, that all current PSP titles would show up on Playstation's online store.

While Perry insists that the PSP2 is real, and already been developed for, a lot of the details about distribution and release are more speculative on his part.

It does make sense that games will one day go digital only, it seems inevitable. But is now too soon for something like the PSP?

Source: http://kotaku.com/5160320/perry-psp-2-is-real-could-hit-this-fall

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Witchfinder General said:
So what will replace UMD? Will it be memory based and we'll have to download games?

maybe they will use non standard read only Sony's Memory Stick Duo for games

Ydahs

Shocking!

Well, I'm really looking forward to this year's E3. I'm expecting a lot of surprises from both Sony and Nintendo.

Ploid 3.0

PSN box is here

Totally cut out the store and shipping cost of games. Don't have to match prices to stay cool with Gamestop. That would be nice.

Yeah, all downloadable games, no doubt. Makes sense. I think soon we'll see Nintendo really pushing that side of DSi. AppStore works for selling games, so Nintendo and Sony should have their own versions.

Indeed, the idea of a new PSP would perhaps help explain why all these big games are suddenly getting PSP versions - Ass Creed, Rock Band etc. You don't just start suddenly supporting a struggling format (in the west, anyway) for no reason.

herod

Hero of Canton said:
Indeed, the idea of a new PSP would perhaps help explain why all these big games are suddenly getting PSP versions - Ass Creed, Rock Band etc. You don't just start suddenly supporting a struggling format (in the west, anyway) for no reason.

releasing games for the old system supports the idea of a new system?

Spiegel

Hero of Canton said:

A new psp would explain why new games are being announced for the old psp?

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
This guy knows about as much about it as we do. He's reading the same rumors but like an idiot he's reporting them as facts.

Binabik15

Yay, Euroland has still no PSN card D:If they plan to release the games DL-only they should let people get familiar with digital distribution first, hardly anybody here uses it (that I know of).

Memory sticks, flash cards, whatever puhleeze.

BTW PSP 2 AND PSP GAMES!!!11one!rawr...

...?

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
CiSTM said:
Does this mean that PSP games aren't compatible with PSP2 :(

I think all PSP games will be up for download. If that's the case I hope Sony has a plan, so when you own the PSP game you can download it's downloadeble counterpart for free. Imo that's the fair thing to do.

herod

Trailblazer said:
What if the New PSP is just the Old PSP with a second analog, touch screen and new form factor?

I doubt if it would make a huge difference. The PSP has a couple of other stumbling blocks - Western gamers just don't pick handhelds for games like FPS, and the nub in its present form (which has seen no real modification since the 1000, unlike the d-pad) just isn't well suited to giving you 'state' feedback, or even subtle analogue motion. I expect some folks to disagree with me on this last point, but for what dual analogue is wanted for (FPS mainly?), it's just not a suitable platform full stop. Blaming it on the lack of second analogue is just one of a few reasons.

Besides which, it's not happening, or it would have happened already. The PSP will shortly (if it is not already) be surpassed in power by smartphones, for a dedicated device this is not acceptable, its USP disappears.

so david perry is a drama queen (i searched for some interviews) that was relevant 15 years ago and he's spilling beans noone rumoured about before (ie. psp2 coming soon without UMD).

ruh?

CiSTM

Banned
RamzaIsCool said:
I think all PSP games will be up for download. If that's the case I hope Sony has a plan, so when you own the PSP game you can download it's downloadeble counterpart for free. Imo that's the fair thing to do.

Neat idea but sounds kinda hard to carry out. Let's hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

obaidr

Banned
CiSTM said:
Neat idea but sounds kinda hard to carry out. Let's hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

i think it will let you rip your UMD from psp1 to psp2. Something like connect your psp1 to psp2 via USB and then rip the game. They will probably use some kind of DRM as well.

herod

re: BC, this doesn't seem to be a priority at Sony anymore.

Although there is only a couple of generations of it to look at, it's almost like they view it as a requirement if they're leading (to cement the lock-in), and an obstruction if they're not.

Also, given how the price of UMD software craters, I don't think they will want cheap old software affecting their new sales.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Why the fuck do they have to do this just after I get a new PSP? On the plus side, no UMD means no BC, so I won't have to replace the machine anytime soon.

But seriously, stop trolling me Sony. :(

biocat

RamzaIsCool said:
You know that wouldn't happen just based on how they've already done the ps1 games on PSP and PS3. Letting you rip it is too risky and some kind of approval system would be too costly to setup.

Slavik81

CiSTM said:
Does this mean that PSP games aren't compatible with PSP2 :(
No, I think it's likely that the PSP2 will be completely backwards compatible. I'd be very surprised if the PSP1 catalog didn't get hosted on PSN to play on PSP2. I'd also be very surprised if the disk versions were of any use to PSP2 owners. The game code will probably run natively, but since there's no way to verify that you own them, you'll have to buy the digital version, just like everybody else. Such is my bet.

That said... This rumor is very rumorish.

herod

Hitmeneer said:

Steam has online DRM - the PSP cannot offer this - what is stop people registering it on their PSP2 and just selling the UMD to a PSP owner?

For this reason it won't happen.

herod

Slavik81 said:
No, I think it's likely that the PSP2 will be completely backwards compatible. I'd be very surprised if the PSP1 catalog didn't get hosted on PSN to play on PSP2. I'd also be very surprised if the disk versions were of any use to PSP2 owners.

That said... This rumor is very rumorish.

Agreed on both points. I think UMD will be consigned to the scrapheap. I can't see any reasonable means of keeping it.

Also, I expect that as soon as PSP2 is released, even the official firmware diehards will be applying CFW to their PSPs, just like XBMC is now the only reason to keep an Xbox around. For this reason I'd also be surprised if many third party PSP games make it onto the PSN, I don't think it will really be worth it for them.

Rolf NB

Third PSP revision speculation thread in less than two weeks. Do it all over again, GAF, you know you want to!
*nosepinch*

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Don't see why it would need anything beyond digital downloads, really. Seems to be working out fine for Apple on iPhone.

The question of PSP BC with umd games is there, of course, but I'm sure something could be worked out.

herod

gofreak said:
Don't see why it would need anything beyond digital downloads, really. Seems to be working out fine for Apple on iPhone.

The question of PSP BC with umd games is there, of course, but I'm sure something could be worked out.

the problem here (in my opinion), is that software purchases will now require an Internet connection and a PSN store being available in each country. They will also lose a lot of goodwill with brick and mortar retailers.

they could solve it with a GSM connection, but then it requires people to make a choice between their existing mobile, other new smartphones, and the PSP2, I can't see this being a sensible strategy given the head start that they've give Apple, who have already beaten them once.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
herod said:
the problem here (in my opinion), is that software purchases will now require an Internet connection and a PSN store being available in each country. They will also lose a lot of goodwill with brick and mortar retailers.

they could solve it with a GSM connection, but then it requires people to make a choice between their existing mobile, other new smartphones, and the PSP2, I can't see this being a sensible strategy given the head start that they've give Apple, who have already beaten them once.

Well, I think they are afraid of Apple wresting more away from them in the games market as they did with music, but I'm not sure how keeping a legacy connection to b&m would help Sony prevent that really.

In the mobile space, I think discrete discs etc. are going to look increasingly clunky and undesireable.

I think a next PSP will look a lot like iPhone, functionally, but more powerful of course. As much because it's a natural progression as because of Sony feeling heat from Apple, though. Long before iPhone appeared I suggested Sony should include cellphone network access in PSP, simply because that's where better and more ubiquitous net access is coming from, whatever about any extra phone functionality it might allow.

Anyway, I digress..regarding game distribution, it just wouldn't surprise me at all if PSP2 was DD-only - via the net and perhaps via in-store download kiosks.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Cool.

2 analogs, 4 shoulder buttons, slide top, touch screen, 16GB+ inbuilt memory (and MS slot of course) and we're all good on the hardware front.

But the other front... more critical, is their digital software distribution method.

Top Bottom