• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rugby World Cup 2011 - New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
25jl8wl.jpg

So in 12 and a bit days the Rugby World Cup 2011 will kick off. The Tri-Nations cup between Australia, New Zealand and South Africa has just finished with Australia pulling of a close 25-20 win over New Zealand. Its the first time in a decade Australia has won the cup.

Pools for the Tournament
iynfa8.jpg

Pool A
Team
Canada
France
Japan
New Zealand
Tonga

Pool B
Team
Argentina
England
Georgia
Romania
Scotland

Pool C
Team
Australia
Ireland
Italy
Russia
USA

Pool D
Team
Fiji
Namibia
Samoa
South Africa
Wales

Fixtures by Pool
Times are for New Zealand. Use this link to adjust times for your location LINK
fa68md.jpg
16l03s5.jpg

546n4g.jpg
fks74l.jpg

Chart with Quater, Semi, Bronze and Finals.
15n7m2h.jpg

TIPPING COMPETITION
If you want to tip then here's the group.
http://www.footytips.com.au/comps/NeoGaf_Rugby_World_Cup

Information Source
http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/fixtures/poolstage.html

Brief History
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_world_cup

33otil5.jpg

Go Australia :)

Clegg

Cheers Cheese, I adopted my Luke Fitzgerald avatar a few weeks ago in preparation for the World Cup. Then when Ireland announced their WC squad he was dropped completely :/

I think I'll change to Sean O' Brien soon.

Uchip

Banned
Apparently they are setting up lots of viewing options around town and mission bay etc
might have to check it out (go All Blacks!)

Clegg

Incidentally Ireland are playing England in both teams final WC warm-up matches. After 5 minutes England are already winning because Irelands centres without Brian O' Driscoll are rubbish.

Clegg

Ireland 6 England 13 so far. Ireland flanker David Wallace taken off with suspected knee ligament injury. He will probably miss the WC now. Fucking disaster.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not too familiar with the rules of rugby but I want to catch the US matches if I can. Someone in another thread hyped me up awhile ago by posting a try by Takudzwa Ngwenya from the 2007 WC.

Clegg

sazabirules said:
I'm not too familiar with the rules of rugby but I want to catch the US matches if I can. Someone in another thread hyped me up awhile ago by posting a try by Takudzwa Ngwenya from the 2007 WC.
The US play Ireland on September 11.
1 year ago Ireland would have raped the US by at least 50 points but we have regressed so badly. Its actually shocking how bad weve gotten.

Ireland will still beat the US relatively easy though :)

sohois

Think New Zealand will finally be able to win it on home soil, but am rooting for England to go on another flukey run like in 07 and maybe NZ will choke again.

Thanks for the Thread.

Ireland just played a shocking game against England. Not that England were any great shakes themselves but they were better. Ireland have some serious injury worries now, I really really hope Wallace isn't badly hurt, but it looks like he is :(

We really need to pull something out of the bag in New Zealand, we are just not good enough to beat the likes of New Zealand or Austrailia.

Looking forward to discussing the RWC with all of GAF!

Clegg

If anyone wanted an indication of how bad Ireland have gotten I'll tell you. At the start of July, Ireland were 4th in the official rugby world rankings. Now at the end of August we are 9th and have lost our last 4 games in a row.

FFS without Brian O' Driscoll playing we are absolutely dire as a team. Individually our players are quite good but bring them together as a team and they are rubbish.

It'll be another world cup flop for Ireland. For the last 10 years O' Driscoll has consistently been one of the top 5 players in the world. Too bad everyone else has gone rubbish.

Clegg said:
If anyone wanted an indication of how bad Ireland have gotten I'll tell you. At the start of July, Ireland were 4th in the official rugby world rankings. Now at the end of August we are 9th and have lost our last 4 games in a row.

FFS without Brian O' Driscoll playing we are absolutely dire as a team. Individually our players are quite good but bring them together as a team and they are rubbish.

It'll be another world cup flop for Ireland. For the last 10 years O' Driscoll has consistently been one of the top 5 players in the world. Too bad everyone else has gone rubbish.

I don't know about him being top 5 now but I will admit that he adds a certain something to the side, same with O'Connell.

We need to overcome our injury worries and then the team needs to find its passion and desire and start playing like their lives depend on it.

Spike6663

Mangoverboard said:
Thanks for the Thread.

Ireland just played a shocking game against England. Not that England were any great shakes themselves but they were better. Ireland have some serious injury worries now, I really really hope Wallace isn't badly hurt, but it looks like he is :(

We really need to pull something out of the bag in New Zealand, we are just not good enough to beat the likes of New Zealand or Austrailia.

Looking forward to discussing the RWC with all of GAF!

Out of the friendly games they've played so far, this was England's strongest outing imo. Not quite as good as during the Six Nations but this lineup seemed to gel the best out of Johnno's squad so far. I'm not sure why Cueto was taken off so early though.

Any suprise predicitons? I can see Italy pulling something special and getting out of the pool stages.

Clegg

Mangoverboard said:
I don't know about him being top 5 now but I will admit that he adds a certain something to the side, same with O'Connell.

We need to overcome our injury worries and then the team needs to find its passion and desire and start playing like their lives depend on it.
*Bump* Is anyone even interested in this. Its a big competition. GAF the US are in it, you like the US dont you?

As for BOD: He was probably the best Centre in world rugby from 2001-2005, then he nearly broke his neck in that game against New Zealand. Since then he has had plenty of outatanding matches but younger, faster, bigger players have caught up with him.

Over the last 18 months he has lost a lot of his pace so he's unable to make as many line breaks as he used to. However, he has changed his game now to that of a try poacher rather than a strike runner from 25 yards out.

2 years ago a lot of peole wrote him off and said he was finished as a world class player. Then he captained Ireland to an unbeaten year in Test rugby winning the 6 Nations Grand Slam in the process as well as his 4th 6 Nations Player of the Tournament. He came 2nd in the World Player of the Year voting in 2009. He would have won it too but they changed the voting system a few months beforehand.

Basically dont worry about BOD, he's good enough and experienced enough to peak at the right time. Its just the rest of the team that I worry about. BOD plays well in World Cups. The rest of the team chokes.

I cant see Italy upsetting Ireland in their match either. Italy should've beaten us earlier this year but choked. They are a good home side but absoloutelt rubbish when playing away. They've never beaten Ireland before either.

Anyway, Ireland will probably be knocked out in the QF's. New Zealand will go into the World Cup as massive favourites and choke again. Just like the previous 2 World Cups. Australia will win the Tournament.

Hunter S.

My friend is buying me an all blacks Jersey to try to force me to watch and support them. Yeah right, I we be secretly rooting for Australia just to spite her cocky opinion of their complete superiority. :p on her.

navanman said:
Gonna choke, far too much pressure on them to perform and with this being a home tournament its even worse.

yeah my money's on south africa right now but I'm still hoping for New Zealand to take it. Will be fun to watch either way

Clegg

Discotheque said:
yeah my money's on south africa right now but I'm still hoping for New Zealand to take it. Will be fun to watch either way
South Africa would have a much better chance of winning the WC if their head coach wasnt completely insane. The same goes for France.

It'll be New Zealand or Australia as winners of the tournament. New Zealand are chokers at the World Cup. So Australia it is then.

Clegg

legend166 said:
You know it looks like Australia will play Wales in the quarter final.
Nah he's absoloutely right. When Ireland hammer the Ozzies you'll have to play South Africa.

We'll get the Welsh :)

Mush

navanman said:
Gonna choke, far too much pressure on them to perform and with this being a home tournament its even worse.
As a born and bred Kiwi
(OK, I was born in Oz, but still)
I can only say that I do foresee this happening.

kharma45

Never noticed this thread! Awesome OP! Was considering making one myself if no one else had got round to it.

Hopefully this thread will get a bit more love and attention than the Six Nations one got!

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
It would appear we (Australia) are over due for a WC win.

Can't think of a better place to win it also, in NZ.

Qwomo

I'm fine with anyone but South Africa winning. They are the worstttt.

I'll be rooting for Argentina/Wales/All Blacks, probably. Though France, USA, and Australia are also great!

That All Blacks game the other week (against Australia, I think?) was one of the most intense games I've seen in a long time. Hopefully they can keep it up into the WC.

polg

Have tickets for Argie Vs. Georgia, Argie Vs. Scotland, 2 quarters and the final
-my body is ready-

I'm sure i'll end up going to some other matches as... everybody I know seems to be getting some free tix.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Raonak said:
OOhhh...
NZ v Japan in my city :D might actually go watch it.

Japan are REALLY fun to watch, when the world cup was in Aus Japan was based in Townsville. Went and watched a few of their games, always give 110%.

giri

Qwomo said:
I'm fine with anyone but South Africa winning. They are the worstttt.

I'll be rooting for Argentina/Wales/All Blacks, probably. Though France, USA, and Australia are also great!

That All Blacks game the other week (against Australia, I think?) was one of the most intense games I've seen in a long time. Hopefully they can keep it up into the WC.
If the AB's lost, yeah, it was V Australia for the tri-nations title.

And we kicked their ass.

And we won the super title also.

Just a bunch of born winners.

Wallabies to make it another 4 years for the AB's.

(P.S. NZ your team peaked in between world cups, again.)

Though how Kurtley Beale got the John Eales medal is beyond me. Genia deserved that.

I will be cheering for the Irish, when they're not playing AU though. And the Japs, i hope they have a really good showing this year, they won the pacific nations cup, hope that form carries over.

Qwomo

giri said:
If the AB's lost, yeah, it was V Australia for the tri-nations title.

And we kicked their ass.

And we won the super title also.

Just a bunch of born winners.

Wallabies to make it another 4 years for the AB's.

(P.S. NZ your team peaked in between world cups, again.)

Though how Kurtley Beale got the John Eales medal is beyond me. Genia deserved that.

I will be cheering for the Irish, when they're not playing AU though. And the Japs, i hope they have a really good showing this year, they won the pacific nations cup, hope that form carries over.
Oh shit I forgot about that match. No, that match was awwwful. NZ really phoned it in, iirc.

Boo Australia except when they're playing teams I don't like.

giri

Qwomo said:
Oh shit I forgot about that match. No, that match was awwwful. NZ really phoned it in, iirc.

Boo Australia except when they're playing teams I don't like.
Haha, hardly phoned it in. Just give credit where its due, like the players did.

Should be a good world cup, Aus seem to have the easiest pool, in all the others there are 3 legit teams that could make it out of the pool. Unless Ireland completely fall apart, it should really be AU and Ireland that move on

giri

Clegg said:
As for BOD: He was probably the best Centre in world rugby from 2001-2005, then he nearly broke his neck in that game against New Zealand. Since then he has had plenty of outatanding matches but younger, faster, bigger players have caught up with him.
THE best? thats a bold statement. During that period of time you had sterling mortlock floating around? Tana Umanga, dan herbert...

He was certainly one of the best though.

lush

I'll be supporting the USA as I watch them bomb out of their pool. Looking forward to watching my first RWC.

giri

GeoNeo said:
Go All Blacks. :D Will these games all be on Foxtel 360? If so I will sign up again.
Yes, i believe they will.

How many of them, i'm not sure. I know foxtel IQ have a special RWC channel launching, not sure if the 360 version will have that channel. I hope so :O

I'd investigate further,but stuck in the office :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom