• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rugby World Cup 2011 - New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Soule said:
God I hope the Wallabies knock the All Blacks out, it'll bring me so much joy.
This to me is the situation that is the most likely if NZ can't win it. Wallabies showed in the Tri nations that they are peaking right now. That last tri nations game fuck damnit I wish that NZ had have played 2nd half rugby in the first half.

EDIT: This is a long shot, but any dutch fans? If so, how are you watching it?

Burger

Glad I moved to the UK from NZ before the World Cup started. God that whole country will be insufferable for the duration.

Obviously I'd love for NZ to win, but my snarky side wants to see them loose, just to see if I can hear the misery from the other side of the world.

(Don't get me wrong, I love NZ, but I think they take rugby way too seriously.)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Burger said:
Glad I moved to the UK from NZ before the World Cup started. God that whole country will be insufferable for the duration.

Obviously I'd love for NZ to win, but my snarky side wants to see them loose, just to see if I can hear the misery from the other side of the world.

BOO THIS MAN.

The rest of the world doesn't take rugby seriously enough!

especially mainland europe :(

Duki

Banned
in fairness only choked twice imo 1999 and 2003

1999 french just whooped us

2003 we literally threw it away

the others were totally reasonable

1991 we just werent that good

1995 we were literally poisoned

2007 the ref literally destroyed us throughout the game and the win was sealed by a blatant forward pass the sideline guys decided not to see

NOT THAT MUCH PRESSURE IMO

Burger said:

fuck you traitor

Burger

catfish said:
BOO THIS MAN.

LOL. I know heaps of people who are fleeing the country just so they don't have to have World Cup news piped into their heads for a month.

Remember last time when we choked and the whole country went into mourning, commuters dragging their feet to work, unable to comprehend what had happened. Oh no, that's right, YOU WERN'T THERE, YOU WEREN'T THERE MAN!!

It was awful, and now we are hosting, people will be hanging from the trees in Frank Kitts Park should we loose.

Duki said:
fuck you traitor

I don't like associating a Neanderthal like disposition to rugby fans, but you make it so hard.

Go the AB's!

please don't choke, please don't choke, please don't choke.

as a sidenote, my boss used to be David Kirk, the only kiwi Captain ever to raise the Cup in victory. Actually a pretty small guy, i thought about tackling him in the office just to be able to say i did it. Would likely have lost my job though.

go AB's!

Duki

Banned
Burger said:
I don't like associating a Neanderthal like disposition to rugby fans, but you make it so hard.
hurr durr i dont liek sports i r smrt not liek u lmao im so abov it

you know there is a dramatic spike in domestic abuse the day after an all blacks loss right

youre literally supporting wife and children beating at the expense of your homeland, for what? some silly sense of pride at your lack of association with a national sport?

you are literally a monster

Tegris

Burger said:

Are you me?

I can't stand this country's obsession with rugby, partly because of how overbearing it is, and partly because rugby is objectively a slightly rubbish sport (rewards strength and speed over skill, too many arbitrary rules to improve the flow of the game, scrums are an utter disaster). Nevertheless I'm sure I'll end up watching all of the All Blacks games and be quite happy if we win, but an embarrassing choke will also be amusing (see the reaction to our loss to France in '07).

As long as Australia don't win I'll be pleased, although it seems likely that they will.

Burger

Duki said:
hurr durr i dont liek sports i r smrt not liek u lmao im so abov it

you know there is a dramatic spike in domestic abuse the day after an all blacks loss right

youre literally supporting wife and children beating at the expense of your homeland, for what? some silly sense of pride at your lack of association with a national sport?

you are literally a monster

Says it all really.

Qwomo

Tegris said:
Are you me?

I can't stand this country's obsession with rugby, partly because of how overbearing it is, and partly because rugby is objectively a slightly rubbish sport (rewards strength and speed over skill, too many arbitrary rules to improve the flow of the game, scrums are an utter disaster). Nevertheless I'm sure I'll end up watching all of the All Blacks games and be quite happy if we win, but an embarrassing choke will also be amusing (see the reaction to our loss to France in '07).

As long as Australia don't win I'll be pleased, although it seems likely that they will.
b0ccb5391ddc21c6dfd58549067d93c4af4b3bcd.gif

giri said:
If the AB's lost, yeah, it was V Australia for the tri-nations title.

And we kicked their ass.

And we won the super title also.

Just a bunch of born winners.

Wallabies to make it another 4 years for the AB's.

(P.S. NZ your team peaked in between world cups, again.)

Though how Kurtley Beale got the John Eales medal is beyond me. Genia deserved that.

I will be cheering for the Irish, when they're not playing AU though. And the Japs, i hope they have a really good showing this year, they won the pacific nations cup, hope that form carries over.
3 wins against the AB's from the last 14 games.

3 Tri-Nations titles total (in 15 years and no holders have ever won the RWC the same year).

3 Super Rugby titles total (in 15 years, with the Brumbies winning 2 and the Reds 1).

8 years since Australia last held the Bledisloe.

What a bunch of born winners. :p

I doubt Australia will even get to the final. Cooper's just a flakey, cheating wimp. Put him under a little pressure and he plays like a preschooler, throwing miracle balls on his own f'n try line. I predict they'll do what Deans last RWC team did. Look great leading up to it, but get way over-confident and eliminated at the first real challenge.

This AB's side, on the other hand, I think have what it takes to win. Aside from the last two games (which I think were decent reality checks), they've been building up really well. Gave Aus a far bigger thrashing than the 5 points they managed to beat us by in the second game. Just seems like there's a lot more experience, a lot more brains in the team and a lot more players hitting some good form than the 2007 team.

Only real disappointment are a couple of the squad selections. Guildford and Flynn? Ugh, both are rubbish. Sivi and Hika Elliot should be in there.

Oh and Duki, I disagree. We didn't choke in either of those years. 1999 came a year after the worst season in AB history, while England was the favourite in 2003. The ref in 2007 was pretty rubbish but still, that's the one RWC I'd actually agree with the people that say the AB's peak between them. The 2007 team just didn't hit the same form that the 2005 and 2006 AB's did (back when we had the two best teams in the world), if they had, they would've creamed France.

danilark

Thanks for the thread! Wallabies fan here, but even though I enjoyed the win over the All Blacks last week, I'm not totally convinced that Australia can win the thing. Especially if we have to play England at some stage. They seem to be our bogey team at the World Cup.
With the home advantage it's still very much New Zealand's tournament to lose. Though they do have a history...

It would be cool to be the first country to win it 3 times :D Hopefully South Africa doesn't win because of that :)

What does everyone think is the hardest pool?

BanGy.nz

Banned
Im not sure how much anyone can take away from that last All Black Vs Wallabies game, Thompson played on with a useless left arm when he really should have left the park at the same time Reid did. When we had a functioning Loose forward trio we clawed our way back into the game.

The fact that it took a half time talk from Ted and the team for us to change tactics is very, very concerning. Did France at the last world cup teach us nothing?

giri

LiquidSolid said:
3 wins against the AB's from the last 14 games.

3 Tri-Nations titles total (in 15 years and no holders have ever won the RWC the same year).

3 Super Rugby titles total (in 15 years, with the Brumbies winning 2 and the Reds 1).

8 years since Australia last held the Bledisloe.

What a bunch of born winners. :p

I doubt Australia will even get to the final. Cooper's just a flakey, cheating wimp. Put him under a little pressure and he plays like a preschooler, throwing miracle balls on his own f'n try line. I predict they'll do what Deans last RWC team did. Look great leading up to it, but get way over-confident and eliminated at the first real challenge.

This AB's side, on the other hand, I think have what it takes to win. Aside from the last two games (which I think were decent reality checks), they've been building up really well. Gave Aus a far bigger thrashing than the 5 points they managed to beat us by in the second game. Just seems like there's a lot more experience, a lot more brains in the team and a lot more players hitting some good form than the 2007 team.

Only real disappointment are a couple of the squad selections. Guildford and Flynn? Ugh, both are rubbish. Sivi and Hika Elliot should be in there.

Oh and Duki, I disagree. We didn't choke in either of those years. 1999 came a year after the worst season in AB history, while England was the favourite in 2003. The ref in 2007 was pretty rubbish but still, that's the one RWC I'd actually agree with the people that say the AB's peak between them. The 2007 team just didn't hit the same form that the 2005 and 2006 AB's did (back when we had the two best teams in the world), if they had, they would've creamed France.

you know what the wallabies have you don't, the current tri-nations cup, and 2 world cups

And uhh, last game it looked more like dan carter who chokes under pressure more than quade.

this wallabies team will do what deans last one did, .... remind me what henry's last all blacks did again?

You also forgot to add a lot more cheating to the things this AB's team have over their predecessors. That should help them. i wonder if they'll stand onside once this entire world cup.

Also, the AB's have entered as the odds on favorites every cup... and yes, they were chokes.

But hey, just keep re-writing history.

giri

BanGy.nz said:
Im not sure how much anyone can take away from that last All Black Vs Wallabies game, Thompson played on with a useless left arm when he really should have left the park at the same time Reid did. When we had a functioning Loose forward trio we clawed our way back into the game.

The fact that it took a half time talk from Ted and the team for us to change tactics is very, very concerning. Did France at the last world cup teach us nothing?
I think both teams can take a lot away from the last game in brisbane. For the aussies "thats how you have to play to beat the all blacks, as hard as fast as physical". For the nz'ers "AU CAN compete on your level, pick your shit up".

In truth i think there's only 4 sides with a chances this year, SA, NZ, AU, ENG. I don't think any of the others have a chance. And realistically, i think it will be a NZ AU final... our history isn't good at eden park, but it should be one hell of a game.

Clegg

giri said:
THE best? thats a bold statement. During that period of time you had sterling mortlock floating around? Tana Umanga, dan herbert...

He was certainly one of the best though.
I did say probably. Im Irish though so I will be biased towards BOD.

Not much southern hemisphere rugby was shown in Europe when BOD was in his pomp so I cant really compare him to Mortlock or Umaga.

All I can really judge BOD on is his performances against the Northern Hemisphere teams where he was head and shoulders above every other centre.

I also think BODs consistency is something that might put him ahead of hid peers. BOD has been around for 11 years playing at the highest level. Umaga and Mortlock were as good as him at their best but now they are very much in the twilight of their careers.

Anyway, Fourie du Preez and Conrad Smith are the best centres in the world right now.
Pocock is the best forward.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Fingers crossed for Wales to string some results together for a change.

I'm having real trouble trying to work out which games to watch (in addition to the Welsh ones of course). Looks like there will be some good tussles in the bottom half of Pool A, and Fiji, Samoa, Tonga are always worth watching. High hopes for Argentina as well.

Clegg said:

Not much southern hemisphere rugby was shown in Europe when BOD was in his pomp so I cant really compare him to Mortlock or Umaga.

All I can really judge BOD on is his performances against the Northern Hemisphere teams where he was head and shoulders above every other centre.

I also think BODs consistency is something that might put him ahead of hid peers. BOD has been around for 11 years playing at the highest level. Umaga and Mortlock were as good as him at their best but now they are very much in the twilight of their careers.

Anyway, Fourie du Preez and Conrad Smith are the best centres in the world right now.

Stirling Mortlock should get a multiplier in all discussions of GCOAT just for having such a bad ass name

Duki

Banned
he gets minus a billion for being such a shitcunt tho

used to walk up and down that guys face tbh

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Hunter S Thompson said:
Funny it will happen, but it is no accomplishment when no one plays the sport here and it is not even broadcasted on TV. I still hope there is a miracle.

I'm pretty sure NBC is broadcasting some matches.

Qwomo

speedpop said:
I'm hoping for an Argentina vs France final, to be honest.
I remember that match between them last world cup was ridiculously intense, one of the best of the cup imo. So many fights. Sogood.

kharma45

Qwomo said:
I remember that match between them last world cup was ridiculously intense, one of the best of the cup imo. So many fights. Sogood.
yeah that third place play-off game was brilliant, I had it recorded for ages but deleted it a while back, cant find highlights of it online anywhere :(

Qwomo

kharma45 said:
yeah that third place play-off game was brilliant, I had it recorded for ages but deleted it a while back, cant find highlights of it online anywhere :(
I just checked acrossthetasman and they have a few copies of it, but they may not be seeded anymore. They're usually pretty good about keeping old matches seeded, though.

kharma45

Qwomo said:
I just checked acrossthetasman and they have a few copies of it, but they may not be seeded anymore. They're usually pretty good about keeping old matches seeded, though.
cheers for the heads up, must check it out.

Clegg

Personally Im hoping for France to beat the All Blacks in the group stages.

The meltdowns would be epic.

Come on England. Think we will battle our way to the semi finals and come undone. This England team is too slow and mechanical to beat the sides from the southern hemisphere.

Reckon SA will win. Would love to see Argentina do well. Want an AB shirt, one of the most iconic sports shirts out there, not worth £60 though.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Hunter S Thompson said:
Funny it will happen, but it is no accomplishment when no one plays the sport here and it is not even broadcasted on TV. I still hope there is a miracle.

Yeah, same situation with NFL here. I think Rugby is more popular in the US though than NFL is here, played in schools/colleges etc.

giri said:
you know what the wallabies have you don't, the current tri-nations cup, and 2 world cups

And uhh, last game it looked more like dan carter who chokes under pressure more than quade.

this wallabies team will do what deans last one did, .... remind me what henry's last all blacks did again?

You also forgot to add a lot more cheating to the things this AB's team have over their predecessors. That should help them. i wonder if they'll stand onside once this entire world cup.

Also, the AB's have entered as the odds on favorites every cup... and yes, they were chokes.

But hey, just keep re-writing history.
You know what the Wallabies have that we don't? A recent loss to Samoa. And the Bledisloe.

As for DC, that was a horrible game from him but how on earth is that proof he chokes under pressure? Have you missed the last 8 years of his career or something? The man performs under pressure like no other (and that's the reason why we've had so much trouble finding a backup for him, because no-one can run our backline as well as he can).

Cheating? Oh christ. You aussies whine so much. Do the AB's bend the rules? Sure, every team does that, because adapting to how the referee's blowing his whistle is a big part of the game. And at least we're not dropping knees onto other players heads, like Quade 'two dads' 'laptop thief' 'Tokoroa reject' Cooper does.

Vivalaraza said:
Come on England. Think we will battle our way to the semi finals and come undone. This England team is too slow and mechanical to beat the sides from the southern hemisphere.

Reckon SA will win. Would love to see Argentina do well. Want an AB shirt, one of the most iconic sports shirts out there, not worth £60 though.
You give your team too little credit. Right now it's looking like England will meet France in the quarter and Aus in the semi. If you guys can get passed France, I'd back you to beat Aus, just going off the hiding you gave to them at Twickenham last year.

Might be a bit dangerous underestimating SA but I can't see them getting too far. Their current team's just a couple of years too old (especially Smit) and their coach is insane.

danilark

speedpop said:
I'm hoping for an Argentina vs France final, to be honest.

That actually sounds pretty appealing. If the Wallabies can't win, I'd like like to see a team who hasn't won it before lift the Cup. It would make for 5 different winners out of 7 tournaments. Which would be impressive for Rugby as a global game as only 8 countries have ever won the FIFA world cup.

One thing I'm hoping for in this World Cup is that we have a decent final, with tries scored. The 2007 final wasn't the greatest spectacle.

Speaking of tries this is a good video of some of the best tries at the 2007 tournament to get us excited http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMLUM1H7V7M

Hunter S.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Yeah, same situation with NFL here. I think Rugby is more popular in the US though than NFL is here, played in schools/colleges etc.

Probably a reflection of the greater population in the US more than anything. The only person I know who got me into the sport is not native, but Australian. In the US, there will be a few fans of almost every sport.

BanGy.nz

Banned
I'm not too worried about Argentina this time around, but next world cup after playing regular games against The Boks, The Wallabies and The All Blacks... they'll be a much, much bigger problem then they currently are.

I doubt they'll make it passed the quarters this time around.

BanGy.nz said:
I'm not too worried about Argentina this time around, but next world cup after playing regular games against The Boks, The Wallabies and The All Blacks... they'll be a much, much bigger problem then they currently are.

Argies really need some fresh blood. Losing Hernandez was a blow too

giri

Clegg said:

I don't like Conrad Smith at all. Ma'nonu is the best center in the Southern Hemisphere. I just think Anthony Fainga is Australia's best Center too. but he won't get a start for the Wallabeis for some stupid reason.

Mortlock also played under one of the worst coaches of all time in Eddie Jones. Guy is truly atrocious, he systematically put Australian Rugby back 10 years. Stifled development at a state level (he ruined it by confusing the national message several times. A day.)

Duki said:
he gets minus a billion for being such a shitcunt tho

used to walk up and down that guys face tbh
U Jelly?

LiquidSolid said:
You know what the Wallabies have that we don't? A recent loss to Samoa. And the Bledisloe.

As for DC, that was a horrible game from him but how on earth is that proof he chokes under pressure? Have you missed the last 8 years of his career or something? The man performs under pressure like no other (and that's the reason why we've had so much trouble finding a backup for him, because no-one can run our backline as well as he can).

Cheating? Oh christ. You aussies whine so much. Do the AB's bend the rules? Sure, every team does that, because adapting to how the referee's blowing his whistle is a big part of the game. And at least we're not dropping knees onto other players heads, like Quade 'two dads' 'laptop thief' 'Tokoroa reject' Cooper does.

You give your team too little credit. Right now it's looking like England will meet France in the quarter and Aus in the semi. If you guys can get passed France, I'd back you to beat Aus, just going off the hiding you gave to them at Twickenham last year.

Might be a bit dangerous underestimating SA but I can't see them getting too far. Their current team's just a couple of years too old (especially Smit) and their coach is insane.
So DC's continual losses to AU this year are just horrible games (Super Final, Trinations Final), but Quade losses one game and he's a choker? Ahuh. Look, i know you're a one eyed fan, but neither Quade nor DC are chokers. Both rely on their forward pack as much as the other. The only thing DC has over Quade is his goal kicking, but i think Quade is marginally better with ball in hand. All told, they're about equal, and i think, a step above any other 5/8's in the world.

You can go on what ever other rant you want, but i don't foresee any other conclusion to this WC than a AU v NZ show down in Eden park. Which i fear, and look forward too, equally. Such a great stadium, such a poor record.

BanGy.nz said:

I'm excited by their inclusion in the southern hemisphere tournaments. I hope they bring in Japan soon too. Even if Japan is just an entrant into the Super Tournament (I'd love to see a 4th conference put together for the Super tournament, with Japan 2 sides, Argentina 2 sides, and Pacific Nations side).

BanGy.nz

Banned
giri said:
So DC's continual losses to AU this year are just horrible games (Super Final, Trinations Final), but Quade losses one game and he's a choker? Ahuh. Look, i know you're a one eyed fan, but neither Quade nor DC are chokers. Both rely on their forward pack as much as the other. The only thing DC has over Quade is his goal kicking, but i think Quade is marginally better with ball in hand. All told, they're about equal, and i think, a step above any other 5/8's in the world.
Cooper can't tackle, his defense is still a huge liability. He still has massive brain explosion an does wonderful things like blind passing to no one behind the goal line. He's is double edged sword like Carlos Spencer and that didn't end that well for Mitchell/Deans.

Carter is getting older and slower, his game has changed over the last few season but hes still an all round better player then Cooper.
giri said:
I'm excited by their inclusion in the southern hemisphere tournaments. I hope they bring in Japan soon too.
Japan might get the nod for the 2019 season after they host the 2018 Rugby World Cup. The Pacific Nations won't be joining the Super Rugby tournament any time soon, they couldn't hold together that Pacific Islander team for more then a few season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom