• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rugby World Cup 2011 - New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

BanGy.nz

Banned
Wales is in a tough spot, Samoa looks on track this year to do some real damage this time around and Fiji were more then a handful last time, they came close to kicking Boks out at the same time the All Blacks and Wallabies went home last time.

They'll be able to run up a huge score against Namibia, so... you at the very least have that.

giri

BanGy.nz said:
Cooper can't tackle, his defense is still a huge liability. He still has massive brain explosion an does wonderful things like blind passing to no one behind the goal line. He's is double edged sword like Carlos Spencer and that didn't end that well for Mitchell/Deans.

Carter is getting older and slower, his game has changed over the last few season but hes still an all round better player then Cooper.
Japan might get the nod for the 2019 season after they host the 2018 Rugby World Cup. The Pacific Nations won't be joining the Super Rugby tournament any time soon, they couldn't hold together that Pacific Islander team for more then a few season.
Lol, maybe you shouldn't use defense as a comparison for the two, because they're both below average. Carter fell off one tackle on Samo, and didn't even attempt a second (when it was his person to tackle) which let Samo go through for a 50M solo try.

Every statement you want to make to the detriment of Cooper, i can cite examples of for Carter. It really will be OK, the world won't end, if you just admit they're equals.

Give the islanders a professional team with a regular income? they very well could hold it together. It's a fantastic untapped resource, and to develop the game further into a true international sport, they have to start doing things like this.

Japan should be brought in 2 years after Argentina. Not doing so is leaving VAST amounts of money on the table. Huge sponsorship deals, and a secure foothold into Asia? There's no doubt developing Japan is a must. I found it disgusting that they didn't get the 2015 world cup, a true blight on the game and a proper example of how inner politics are a net negative on this sport at the moment.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
BackwardsSuggestions said:
Maybe Wales can get higher than 3rd for once?

No?

Alrighty then.

I certainly hope so, though their best chance seems to be if RSA go out at the pool stage putting Wales and Samoa through.

Getting the usual pre-World-Cup annoyance over the supposedly national UK press talking up England's chances and dismissing Wales' - though this year they are talking up SCotland as well (to make England's pool look harder - 'pool of death' indeed?).

As a long suffering Reds supporter, this has been a dream season of rugby for me. I hope a Wallabies World Cup win caps off a stellar year for Horwill, Cooper, Genia and co.

I didn't think it was on the cards before but with Horwill becoming the captain, I feel more and more confident.

As long as the Wallabies are primarily comprised of Reds + Beale/Pocock/O'Connor, I think we should be sweet. The Reds have beaten the Crusaders five games in a row now and I don't think they are particularly intimidated by the All Blacks.

I love the Cooper/Carter debates and have been in plenty myself but at the end of the day, I don't think Carter's superior technical skills are enough to make a difference. The difference maker is Genia who scored key tries and made important line breaks in the recent Reds/Crusaders and Wallabies/All Blacks encounters. Even with Cooper throwing away roughly 10 points a game with his wayward kicking won't be enough to get the All Blacks over the line should they meet in the final.

Here's to plenty of gif-worthy Digby Ioane celebrations in the month ahead!

2cfwrpj.gif

Also, just before the Wallabies headed off for NZ, James Horwill arranged for the team to sign a Wallabies jersey for my birthday which was cool. A really nice gesture from an awesome dude :)

wallabyjumper.jpg

Here's hoping we can keep the banter in this thread going without people getting too upset, whatever the outcome.

BanGy.nz

Banned
giri said:
Lol, maybe you shouldn't use defense as a comparison for the two, because they're both below average. Carter fell off one tackle on Samo, and didn't even attempt a second (when it was his person to tackle) which let Samo go through for a 50M solo try.
Yeah... but Carter never had to drop back to fullback in defense to mask his inability to tackle. Don't get me wrong, Carter was terrible in that last game. Everyone was expect Nonu and Smith were.

//edit//
edotherocket said:
The difference maker is Genia who scored key tries and made important line breaks in the recent Reds/Crusaders and Wallabies/All Blacks encounters.
Yup, he is the one everyone should be genuinely scared. If you can contain Genia you'll win, let him run free and he'll score a solo try from within his own twenty bloody two.

I think as long as they drop Cooper behind the backline, the effect of his relatively crappy defence can be contained.

We have no problems containing Gilford, Sonny Bill and other stars who look awesome playing against other teams. Nonu is our kryptonite. Dude is too strong :(

BanGy.nz said:
Wales is in a tough spot, Samoa looks on track this year to do some real damage this time around and Fiji were more then a handful last time, they came close to kicking Boks out at the same time the All Blacks and Wallabies went home last time.

They'll be able to run up a huge score against Namibia, so... you at the very least have that.

Nah, people are overrating Samoa and Fiji's chances. Wales will put the pair of them away without too much trouble with the way we play now(assuming we don't revert to chucking it about, like against Fiji in the last world cup). We've a good chance of beating the boks first up, and against the aussies in the quarters with our defensive gameplan by shutting down Genia and Cooper. All Blacks in the semis who'll choke due to having heaps of pressure on them. Doesn't matter who we play in the final then.

/toomuchoptimism.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Island nations should go alright this year imo, very strong teams and a lot of the players have been getting good experience around the world.

BanGy.nz

Banned
phisheep said:
No such thing as too much optimism. Not at this stage anyhow.
Yes there is, just ask any All Black fan from 1991, 1995, 1999, 2003 and 2007 how all that optimism ended.
tears, it ended in tears

giri

edotherocket said:
I think as long as they drop Cooper behind the backline, the effect of his relatively crappy defence can be contained.

We have no problems containing Gilford, Sonny Bill and other stars who look awesome playing against other teams. Nonu is our kryptonite. Dude is too strong :(
Yeah seriously, Nonu is just phenomenal.

SBW might be a physical specimen, but nonu is god tier. He's wrecked AU so many times.

BanGy.nz

Banned
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Island nations should go alright this year imo, very strong teams and a lot of the players have been getting good experience around the world.
Add the amount of support they'll get here, it'll be like playing a home game for most of them (the exception being the opening match Tonga VS New Zealand)
giri said:
Yeah seriously, Nonu is just phenomenal.

SBW might be a physical specimen, but nonu is god tier. He's wrecked AU so many times.
Could you tell the Hurricanes that? Letting go of Nonu and Hore has led to a mass exodus of talent, not that I'm complaining as a Highlander fan it's great we won't be wooden spoon in this years NZ conference next year.

Clegg

Am I the only one that doesnt see SBW as the next coming of Christ. He runs good lines but the party offloading is seriously risky especially in international rugby when when he's not playing with all his clubmates. SBW plays great for the Crusaders but he hasnt been that brilliant for the All Blacks yet.

In International rugby the defences get much tighter and the tackles get that bit harder. All the top class players raise their intensity for test matches. SBW hasnt quite gotten to that level yet. Conrad Smoth is by far New Zealands most accomplished centre.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
BanGy.nz said:
Yes there is, just ask any All Black fan from 1991, 1995, 1999, 2003 and 2007 how all that optimism ended.
tears, it ended in tears

Ah, but watching the tournament without that emotional rollercoaster is less than half the fun. Ask any Welshman.

giri

Clegg said:
Am I the only one that doesnt see SBW as the next coming of Christ. He runs good lines but the party offloading is seriously risky especially in international rugby when when he's not playing with all his clubmates. SBW plays great for the Crusaders but he hasnt been that brilliant for the All Blacks yet.

In International rugby the defences get much tighter and the tackles get that bit harder. All the top class players raise their intensity for test matches. SBW hasnt quite gotten to that level yet. Conrad Smoth is by far New Zealands most accomplished centre.
No, you're not the only one. He's good, but not brilliant.

I think he could get there, but i think he needs to spend a few years in the one place to really work on his game, and not just fitting in to the new side.

BanGy.nz said:
Add the amount of support they'll get here, it'll be like playing a home game for most of them (the exception being the opening match Tonga VS New Zealand)
Could you tell the Hurricanes that? Letting go of Nonu and Hore has led to a mass exodus of talent, not that I'm complaining as a Highlander fan it's great we won't be wooden spoon in this years NZ conference next year.

Genuinely surprised when i heard nonu was released. Amazingly bad bit of talent management that.

Duki

Banned
how dare you compare king carlos to that pussy quade

carlos actually played defense

and did everything quade tries to do just four times better

smh you guys

smh

Clegg

Duki said:

smh you guys

smh
I dont know man, Spencer was all around a better player but he had his flaky moments.

Anyway the All Blacks now have Carter who is better than both.

giri

Duki said:

smh you guys

smh
Carlos is my favorite AB 5/8 of all time.

Guy was the epitome of the jersey.

Him and brad thorn.

RWC Flash Tournament Schedule Thing that looks spiffy.

Clegg said:
I dont know man, Spencer was all around a better player but he had his flaky moments.

Anyway the All Blacks now have Carter who is better than both.

I'd take quade any day. Just hide your laptop.

Clegg

kharma45 said:
I always loved the haka that Munsters Kiwis did when they played the All Blacks in 2008. It sends shivers down your spine. Munster nearly won the match too. New Zealand were losing with 5 minutes to go.

Here's the link for any interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13fGHSqHTwA&feature=player_detailpage

Also worth noting is the guy with the Afro doing Munsters haka is Doug Howlett. The All Blacks greatest ever try scorer. He's still a phenomenal player.

giri

Duki said:
i miss dougie so much

him and old joe rocs

fucking guildford and jane u kiddin me smh
rokakokokokokcockoocucucuooou

or how ever its spelt

Hasn't done much in an AB's jersey for a few years. Him and brian habana seem to be past their prime and to have lost a step or two in pace.

I agree, the AB's should bring him back :p

giri

oh, BTW Duki, the new AB's jersey, with the white collar, looks stupid. Should get rid of the collar, the old one was much much better.

Not as silly as the english strip though, lol, that things just terrible.

giri

Qwomo said:
I like the new jersey. It's fab.

I just hope the awful gray away kit looks better now.
Ergh, i think it looks like a disaster, why did the kiwi's move fashion back to the 70's?

so bad.

The irish & welsh jerseys are spiffy though.

Duki

Banned
giri said:
oh, BTW Duki, the new AB's jersey, with the white collar, looks stupid. Should get rid of the collar, the old one was much much better.

Not as silly as the english strip though, lol, that things just terrible.
i mean the old joe rocs not the current old joe rocs lmao

rokocoko tbh

and yeah i kno rite

i keep telling people this and theyre like I PREFER IT TO NOT JUST BE BLACK

im like

what

giri

Duki said:
i mean the old joe rocs not the current old joe rocs lmao

rokocoko tbh

and yeah i kno rite

i keep telling people this and theyre like I PREFER IT TO NOT JUST BE BLACK

im like

what
Well, if a few of the players grew moustaches it would look like a bad 70's fashion gathering joke photo.

And a jersey that inspires that isn't a great thing.

Clegg

giri said:
Ergh, i think it looks like a disaster, why did the kiwi's move fashion back to the 70's?

so bad.

The irish & welsh jerseys are spiffy though.
The actual match day jersey for Ireland looks good but the supporters replica jersey is rubbish. The design on the front for the replica is made of plastic and it just looks a bit off.

Anyway Ireland to win the World Cup lads amirite?

:(

giri

Clegg said:
The actual match day jersey for Ireland looks good but the supporters replica jersey is rubbish. The design on the front for the replica is made of plastic and it just looks a bit off.

My girlfriend bought it and it looks good on her but I hated it when I tried one on. I bought a new ball and a gumshield instead.

Why do jerseys always look better on women than men? They just look more comfortable.
0_o

The wallabies & reds jerseys are by kooga, and the logo's aren't just the iron on plast stuff, they're weaved in as part of the fabric, like the match day jerseys. Expensive, but really good quality.

They're also good designs :p

I think the AB's is Adidas? not sure who does the irish one.

Clegg

giri said:
0_o

The wallabies & reds jerseys are by kooga, and the logo's aren't just the iron on plast stuff, they're weaved in as part of the fabric, like the match day jerseys. Expensive, but really good quality.

They're also good designs :p

I think the AB's is Adidas? not sure who does the irish one.
Yes I am fully aware how weird my post sounds. Which is why I tried to edit it but you quoted it before I was done :( But in my defence it is 1 am here and I cant sleep. Some of my posts may sound delusional.

Puma make Irelands jerseys I think.

kharma45

Clegg said:
I always loved the haka that Munsters Kiwis did when they played the All Blacks in 2008. It sends shivers down your spine. Munster nearly won the match too. New Zealand were losing with 5 minutes to go.

Great moment and a great game!

Clegg said:

Anyway Ireland to win the World Cup lads amirite?

:(

All Puma's jerseys for Ireland have looked shite, I want Canterbury back :(

I'd actually be tempted to buy my local club sides (if they sell any that is) rather than get any of the new Ireland tops.

295240_10150270936849132_227492574131_7852120_2194137_n.jpg

Gotta love the mismatched kits when playing a 1sts v 2nds game.

BanGy.nz said:
//edit//
Yup, he is the one everyone should be genuinely scared. If you can contain Genia you'll win, let him run free and he'll score a solo try from within his own twenty bloody two.
Yeah, of the Aussie team, I'm usually more worried about Genia, Beale and even Bieber (JOC) than Cooper.

Glad to see the Git has finally stopped getting a free ride from his reputation and has been dropped. Always thought Larkham made him look good.

BanGy.nz said:
Speaking of, have you guys seen the welcomes Samoa and Tonga received at Auckland Airport? Freaking mayhem.

Here's Samoa's (might want to turn your volume down for the second one):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adAqGmVRfF4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC61d4fJbTg

Englishman Manu Tuilagi decided he'd show his support (his brother plays for Samoa):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJy-B-Yxowo

And here's Tonga's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VTJs9YYogU

That title for the Tongan one is pretty rubbish though, apparently it was actually around 4000. Not bad though, seeing as Tonga's population is only 100k (though that's probably not counting the ~40k that live in NZ, which is why all the poaching accusations that tend to come from up north are idiotic).

Hope to see Samoa and/or Fiji produce an upset, especially against SA.

Qwomo said:
I like the new jersey. It's fab.

I just hope the awful gray away kit looks better now.
The grey jersey went the way of the dodo after 2007. The AB's have gone back to white for their alternate.

As for the current AB jersey, I think it looks great from a distance but looks weird up close. They should've gone with a full white collar, rather than the half-collar thing they've got.

Clegg

The All Blacks are playing Tonga. They could put Mc Caw in the centre and Kaino on the wing and they'd still win by 50 points.

Clegg

I'm hoping for Quade Cooper to get trampled over by an opposition flanker at least once in this tournament.

Preferably against Ireland.

giri

Clegg said:
I'm hoping for Quade Cooper to get trampled over by an opposition flanker at least once in this tournament.

Preferably against Ireland.
The fact that he inspires that desire in opposition teams is one of his best qualities. He gets them thinking about personal, rather than team, motives.

#OneOfTheBest

Qwomo said:
I never tip.

Or circumcise.

So... you Circumcise the Tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom