• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Public Announcement: Tales of the Abyss 3DS is out today

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
sounds like my copy has arrived at my forwarding place - along with Sklyanders (at last)

it won't get over here for another 3 weeks or so in the March batch :/

watershed

Banned
This game has been okay so far but it has a few issues. Voiceless skits with unskippable dialogue, sound levels are really off, jaggies galore, and some odd animations. It's fun but it also feels like a really cheap port.

kiryogi

Banned
This game has been okay so far but it has a few issues. Voiceless skits with unskippable dialogue, sound levels are really off, jaggies galore, and some odd animations. It's fun but it also feels like a really cheap port.

Well the fun thing about that. . . That's how the original game was domestically! Ho ho ho (voiceless skits etc etc)

Link Man

Banned
The voices sound fine through the 3DS speakers to me. But what would I know? Several "fire!"s later and I slid the sound off. And Luke is annoying; without spoilers does he ever develop out of an ignorant little shit? I like the other characters so far.

The combat is pretty fun but I remember what I played of Symphonia being more fun. I think Symphonia moved along much more quickly, and you had access to a full party earlier so maybe that's just why.

If you're still in the forest, you're about to encounter some fine character development.

Well the fun thing about that. . . That's how the original game was domestically! Ho ho ho (voiceless skits etc etc)

Lol, yep. And that didn't stop it from being a great game. I think I'll pass on the 3DS version though. 30fps battles sound like a real downgrade I don't want to experience.

pwack

I was on the fence but grabbed a copy yesterday. Now Amazon is showing out of stock with no known restock date.

picking this up and never played before.

one thing that annoys me about tales games are the side quests since it can be very easy to miss stuff and then you can only try again on your next play through.

when I played tales of vesperia I used this sidequest guide:
http://forum.draekon.com/showthread.php?t=21

I found it to be a great guide to do all the sidequests on my first play through without spoiling the plot as I went along.

anyone know of any similar sidequest guides exist for abyss?

This one is good:

http://talesof.cyllya.com/toa/mhm/sidequest.html

It goes in order of when they're available and will hide important spoilers unless you highlight them. You will need to remember to check the start points for steps in long quest chains though.

Just got mine yesterday but haven't played too much yet. My last Tales game was Vesperia so I'm really excited to sink my teeth into this.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I still don't understand why people are complaining about the text, they look fine to me...
It looks quite unprofessional, also the descenders still look like they're still above the baseline. Yuck. It probably looks worse to me because I've experienced the older English font before, which flowed with the game's theme of music a little more. Japanese font seemed fine to me based on the pics I've seen of it.

Well. At least it ain't Comic Sans.

But you experienced 10 FPS on the map on PS2.
Framerate is waaaaay better in this version. I never liked Abyss's world map much, though; didn't really like how boring it was or the colour palette.

Aeana

Framerate is waaaaay better in this version. I never liked Abyss's world map much, though; didn't really like how boring it was or the colour palette.

Does the camera rotate faster? It takes 30 seconds or so to rotate the camera 360 degrees on PS2.

Is it just me, or is this game harder than other Tales games? For instance, I'm having a lot of trouble beating the boss in that "vacation home" near the beginning of the game. I actually might have to level up, or buy equipment from a store, two things I never really do.

Maybe it seems harder because I was just playing the rather easy Destiny 1.

B.K.

I played a bit of it last night. The game runs MUCH better than the PS2 version. From what I played of it, the thing I hate most is how the bottom screen is blank. I wish they would have added maps or anything to the bottom screen. It would have been nice if the world map displayed on the bottom screen. It's so small on the 3DS screen that I can't tell anything about it.

Glix

I played a bit of it last night. The game runs MUCH better than the PS2 version. From what I played of it, the thing I hate most is how the bottom screen is blank. I wish they would have added maps or anything to the bottom screen. It would have been nice if the world map displayed on the bottom screen. It's so small on the 3DS screen that I can't tell anything about it.

?

I got the special copy?

B.K.

Maybe he hasn't gotten it from the Mayor yet.

So you do get the world map on the bottom screen eventually? That's good to know. I didn't play much. I just got through the first area and to the world map. I just wanted to see how better the loading was.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Does the camera rotate faster? It takes 30 seconds or so to rotate the camera 360 degrees on PS2.
It still feels slow to rotate the camera, which is weird and ridiculous.

But battles, menus, towns, etc. load much faster than the PS2 version. It's better in that respect.

Questions to other people who've finished the 3DS version: do the glitches from the PS2 version remain? Ex: town music playing on the world map until you get to a certain section in the game, mystic arte freezing, silverware gald trick, etc?

Oh, and do certain spellcasters still cast Resurrection after they've cast Resurrection already? I always thought that was funny.

Oh, and do certain spellcasters still cast Resurrection after they've cast Resurrection already? I always thought that was funny.

Don't know if it's changed in the 3DS version, but I doubt it. It's explained in this FAQ: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/929343-tales-of-the-abyss/faqs/46167

Hikari62 said:
======================================
3b. You already casted Resurrection!!!
======================================
This isn't really a glitch, but more a flaw in programming that I felt like
mentioning. When someone dies Tear and Anise will immediately start casting
Resurrection if they are free. After they cast it and the feather starts
coming down (before you're revived) they'll start casting it again if they
have the AD Skill Magic End. This happens because the AI reacts so fast to
KOed characters and Resurrection takes too long to take effect, so they think
you still need reviving while the spell is taking its time to do its effect.
It's nice they can react so fast, but they should have made Resurrection a
faster spell. You can simply give them another order, but this can be
beneficial because (1) it gives you another light FOF circle, (2) if
someone dies before the 2nd Resurrection goes off they'll get revived mere
seconds later, and (3) it will heal the target that just got revived.

LiK

Uh... confirmation please!!!! Also, text does look like ass. Something out of the GBA generation or something. Geez. Also, I assume loading is faster, yeah?

I'm just going by how they handled Abyss. I don't expect Grace f to have a large print either.

Pein

Banned
Got my copy, I would have waited to buy it later but limited print run killed that notion. I got the only copy they had left at my local gamestop, also pre ordered graces f while I was there.

Give me Xillia namco!

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on this since I'd really like to have a JRPG to play on the go on my 3DS, but I'm just not 100% sure yet... I don't want to spend $40 on a game I won't enjoy. I know I'm in a thread of Tales fans so this is a silly question, but can someone sell me on this?

My history with the Tales series is thus: I've played Symphonia (which I loved and finished) and Vesperia (which I liked quite a bit because of the characters, but never finished because the story just seemed to go on... and on...). I've also played a bit of Legendia but didn't like it much at all, and I skipped out on Symphonia: Dawn of the New World despite being interested in it because I heard it was horrible and had too much else to play at the time.

So where does Abyss fall in terms of quality in the series? Fans seem to praise it and most reviews seem to say it's a JRPG worth playing if you've never played it on the PS2 (which I haven't) but that it's not truly *great*... anyway, I just need that final push to decide to purchase it (or not). I will literally go out and get it tonight if I'm sold on it, though.

Help? Thanks!

PKrockin

Played three or four hours now and the load times are a GODSEND.

I don't hear any compression on the audio... except a bit if I crank it to max with headphones in a quiet room. I can't imagine the ENG voices were compressed too much when they the space left over from not voicing skits anyway.

3D doesn't really add much to this game by its nature so I end up switching it off half the time.

Font looks fine. Besides the couple of downscaled PS2 fonts they used which do look bad.

Somehow I need to tear myself away from this so I can beat Revelations and try Raid Mode.

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on this since I'd really like to have a JRPG to play on the go on my 3DS, but I'm just not 100% sure yet... I don't want to spend $40 on a game I won't enjoy. I know I'm in a thread of Tales fans so this is a silly question, but can someone sell me on this?

My history with the Tales series is thus: I've played Symphonia (which I loved and finished) and Vesperia (which I liked quite a bit because of the characters, but never finished because the story just seemed to go on... and on...). I've also played a bit of Legendia but didn't like it much at all, and I skipped out on Symphonia: Dawn of the New World despite being interested in it because I heard it was horrible and had too much else to play at the time.

So where does Abyss fall in terms of quality in the series? Fans seem to praise it and most reviews seem to say it's a JRPG worth playing if you've never played it on the PS2 (which I haven't) but that it's not truly *great*... anyway, I just need that final push to decide to purchase it (or not). I will literally go out and get it tonight if I'm sold on it, though.

Help? Thanks!

If you liked Symphonia and Vesperia I doubt you will not enjoy this. The game does have pacing issues later on and the cast is not likeable as Vesperia's, but the battle system is solid and the story/"lore" is the most interesting of the series IMO. I wouldn't put it above Symphonia or Vesperia but it's nearly as good and definitely worth the asking price if you haven't played it.

Luigiv

Realistically, probably anywhere between 25 to 30 hours.

I got 27 hours in doing very little side questing and I still seem to have a fair bit to go. My characters are only levels 40-42 and the end is nowhere in sight (hence why I decided to quit). I don't exactly see how 25 hours is even possible.

I was all set to get this!

...and then I found out it had no multiplayer. So instead three of my friends are dropping by, we're hooking up a multitap, putting in the non-3DS owning friend's PS2 copy, and playing it together.

Three lost sales, Namco. Why couldn't you have put in the effort to make portable multiplayer work instead of minimizing cost and effort with a fast port?

Link Man

Banned

Help? Thanks!
Not too far in yet, but the cast has great chemistry (with Jade being a standout as the snarky bastard he is). The main character starts out a bit insufferable, though.

Ties

Banned
Just played the first 20 minutes.

I totally forgot how insufferable Luke is, whiny brat! Everything looks good so far, the load times are really fast now. The 3D is lame, I would actually advise against playing with the 3D on. Waste of battery life and it doesn't seem to add any aliasing to anything because the hair still has jaggies.

The text is ugly as sin, why did they choose it? Other than that, the port is fine, no major complaints thus far. The voiceacting doesn't really sound all that compressed to me honestly.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Honestly, they ported this more for Japan than the US. The one we got for the PS2 had extras that the JP version did not.

Just played the first 20 minutes.

I totally forgot how insufferable Luke is, whiny brat! Everything looks good so far, the load times are really fast now. The 3D is lame, I would actually advise against playing with the 3D on. Waste of battery life and it doesn't seem to add any aliasing to anything because the hair still has jaggies.

The text is ugly as sin, why did they choose it? Other than that, the port is fine, no major complaints thus far. The voiceacting doesn't really sound all that compressed to me honestly.

Isn't aliasing added which 3d off for most games? There ain't any aliasing at all... which is why I recommend the opposite. You notice the jaggies a little less when it's in 3d.

Top Bottom