• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus: Uprising website updates and Palutena Tweets

Sapiens

Preordered through amazon Canada. I think we get some cards.

If any one wants, I'd gladly trade cards for a 3d classic download.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
This game is exactly what life-long Nintendo fans like myself have been hankering for:

- Franchise revival
- Nostaglia bomb
- Character-driven
- Hardcore mentality
- Content-packed
- Fresh gameplay
- Single-player, multiplayer
- Talented developer
- Brilliant director
- Top-notch production
- Tons of 3DS functionality
- Huge marketing push

It's really the best-case scenario that we always hope for with forgotten franchises like Star Tropics and such, and it's nice to see it actually come true in the case of Kid Icarus. It almost feels surreal that this game exists, not to mention that it was the first game shown for the system. I mean, think about it: a big-budget Kid Icarus sequel, directed by Sakurai of Smash Bros. fame, and it's effectively a console experience on a portable, with glasses-less 3D, and online multiplayer, and augmented reality, and trading cards, and a stand accessory, and anime shorts from IG, Shaft and 4C, and so on. All of this, after an absence of 20+ years. It's out March 23, reviving dozens of characters and adding many more to the Nintendo pantheon in the process. And it comes alongside a retooled 3D version of the NES original for those who preorder.

Wow.

Makes me hope Sakurai re-invents an old character like he did with Pit in the next Smash Brothers, and then follows up with a full game for that character. Or, hell, I'd love to see him revive the Ice Climbers since he already redesigned them.

Neiteio

Makes me hope Sakurai re-invents an old character like he did with Pit in the next Smash Brothers, and then follows up with a full game for that character. Or, hell, I'd love to see him revive the Ice Climbers since he already redesigned them.
Yeah, I'd love to see a new Ice Climber game. We have plenty of side-scrolling platformers but could always use a new vertical one. Plus it could span both screens on the 3DS or WiiU, and feature co-op. Maybe even a level editor, which would work well on both systems!

Btw, what's this about randomly generated content in Kid Icarus Uprising? Anyone hear anything about this?

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, I'd love to see a new Ice Climber game. We have plenty of side-scrolling platformers but could always use a new vertical one. Plus it could span both screens on the 3DS or WiiU, and feature co-op. Maybe even a level editor, which would work well on both systems!

Btw, what's this about randomly generated content in Kid Icarus Uprising? Anyone hear anything about this?

Some kind of Knuckles Chaotix/Donkey Kong Jungle Climber style game seems like it'd be a good match for the Ice Climbers, imo.

Neiteio

Some kind of Knuckles Chaotix/Donkey Kong Jungle Climber style game seems like it'd be a good match for the Ice Climbers, imo.
They could get creative with the levels. An abandoned industrial factory slick with ice... A clockwork monastary... Maybe even a snow-blanketed volcano with streams of lava. It certainly has more potential than perhaps many people imagine.

Again, though, about Kid Icarus Uprising: What's this about randomly generated content?

ALSO -- updates are back:

AnvwxfTCQAAJ5xV.jpg

Looks like it unleashes a drill-like whirlwind.

Rootbeer

Banned
Palutena takes the weekends off.

Sakurai tweeted this earlier.
https://twitter.com/#!/Sora_Sakurai/status/178783282866036736
R0OAn.jpg

This really is awesome. Reminds me of the late 80s - 90s when this sort of thing was very common in the USA -- stuff like cereal box toys and you could get ninja turtles or marvel/dc heroes cards with hostess pudding and fruit pies!

I still wonder how they will be distributing these cards in the USA, if at all? Only at special events? I got a card with my new game informer, so, that's a start.

Watch Da Birdie

From what I've heard, I think the stats of the weapons are randomly generated, so a single weapon will have multiple versions.

SmithnCo

Yeah, Smash is a great way to guage interest for a potential revival. Hopefully they take advantage of it for Smash 4.

Preordered this at Amazon to get the 3D classics original. Still don't have a frankenstick yet though, based on impressions I should probably get one.

Busaiku

Preordered this at Amazon to get the 3D classics original. Still don't have a frankenstick yet though, based on impressions I should probably get one.

Are you left handed?
Because that's the only thing it's good for. You don't get a second stick.

Fuck, is this a game you need the Circle Pad thing for? I already have a 3DS grip that I've gotten used to and very much enjoy... I really didn't want to buy a circle pad until the inevitable 3DS hardware revision.

Fuck, is this a game you need the Circle Pad thing for? I already have a 3DS grip that I've gotten used to and very much enjoy... I really didn't want to buy a circle pad until the inevitable 3DS hardware revision.

You don't need it, especially considering it doesn't add dual analog (which is atrocious for these games anyway).

Neiteio

If you're a leftie, just pick up a thumb strap for $4 from Nintendo's website. It's cheaper, more portable, and works well, allowing you to support the console with both hands. Alternatively, there are a number of control settings including one where A, B, X and Y are used to move, allowing you to wield the stylus with your dominant hand. It sounds like you'll be good to go either way. :)

ffdgh

They could get creative with the levels. An abandoned industrial factory slick with ice... A clockwork monastary... Maybe even a snow-blanketed volcano with streams of lava. It certainly has more potential than perhaps many people imagine.

Again, though, about Kid Icarus Uprising: What's this about randomly generated content?

ALSO -- updates are back:

AnvwxfTCQAAJ5xV.jpg

Looks like it unleashes a drill-like whirlwind.

kinda reminds me of mario's final smash

Neiteio

This new enemy was just tweeted; I think we've seen him charging Pit in trailers before. Appears he is a dragon that can only be hit from the side, based on a Bing translation of the text:

AnwkFZwCAAAnyeB.jpg

So many new characters! I'm looking forwad to unlocking idols for viewing in the figurine gallery, which was confirmed awhile back in a tweet and screens. It's like the trophy gallery in Smash Bros., with zoom and everything. You can even bet Play Coins to up the odds of hatching something new!

EDIT:

Anwx7q9CAAE0R9k.jpg

...Damn. Multiplayer is going to be insane.

gogojira

I really thought this game was going to bomb, but now I'll be surprised if it doesn't put out some solid numbers considering Nintendo's commitment to the Kid Icarus revival. I guess it helps that it's a Sakurai project, so you know Nintendo is going to go all out.

Really happy though. I questioned the complete deviation from the classic formula of the NES and GB titles, but I have to admit, I'm a believer now. Uprising looks really damn good and there looks to be a ton of content. Even if it's not how I envisioned it, seeing the Kid Icarus name in the spotlight again, and seeing it get treated with such prestige is really nice.

Conor 419

Banned
I really thought this game was going to bomb, but now I'll be surprised if it doesn't put out some solid numbers considering Nintendo's commitment to the Kid Icarus revival. I guess it helps that it's a Sakurai project, so you know Nintendo is going to go all out.

Really happy though. I questioned the complete deviation from the classic formula of the NES and GB titles, but I have to admit, I'm a believer now. Uprising looks really damn good and there looks to be a ton of content. Even if it's not how I envisioned it, seeing the Kid Icarus name in the spotlight again, and seeing it get treated with such prestige is really nice.

Nah this wont bomb. It's a (kinda) new Nintendo IP that's looking like it'll get very solid reviews. Also it's looking like the graphically most impressive 3DS title so far as well as the title with the best use of online functionality.

It'll do well, I hope.

gogojira

Nah this wont bomb. It's a (kinda) new Nintendo IP that's looking like it'll get very solid reviews. Also it's looking like the graphically most impressive 3DS title so far as well as the title with the best use of online functionality.

It'll do well, I hope.

Yeah, I don't think so either anymore. It'd be nice to see the Wii U version some people are speculating about come to life, too.

Conor 419

Banned
Yeah, I don't think so either anymore. It'd be nice to see the Wii U version some people are speculating about come to life, too.

Probably not for some time. Nintendo will have to see how this sells first, and also get a team for it considering Sakurai will be moving on to Smash Brothers.

In fact, what will Team Sora be doing when that happens, will they be moving on to SSB as well?

Busaiku

Probably not for some time. Nintendo will have to see how this sells first, and also get a team for it considering Sakurai will be moving on to Smash Brothers.

In fact, what will Team Sora be doing when that happens, will they be moving on to SSB as well?

Well, he's the president of Sora, so I'd assume so.

MAtgS

2A62X.png

A test player named King Hippo in a KI game. Part of me really, REALLY wishes that was suppose to be a Captain N reference.

who am I kidding? Of course its not :(

Tom_Cody

Agreed. I think it impossible to consider that a sequel to this would be developed 1) without sakurai 2) before the next smash title comes out.

I think it is a given that Sakurai will now shift 100% of his focus onto SSB. That is unless this sell 10+ million units and becomes a cultural phenomenon, in which case we could see him move directly onto a WIIU iteration.

I think it is a given that they will move onto SSB. It is my understanding that Sora only exists to back Sakurai's personal projects. I believe that they have do not have the capacity for developing multiple games at once. As it is SSBB was "developed by an ad hoc development team consisting of Sora, Game Arts and staff from other developers" according to wikipedia and I think we can assume that the next SSB will be developed in a similar manner.

Lausebub

Banned
Why don't they sell these cards as booster packs or with figurines...it would sell like crazy...just sell a guy as an action figure, you get his AR card and an additional bonus item that you can use for the story mode. Skylanders did it and was a great success. This would work as well.

Why don't they sell these cards as booster packs or with figurines...it would sell like crazy...just sell a guy as an action figure, you get his AR card and an additional bonus item that you can use for the story mode. Skylanders did it and was a great success. This would work as well.

chum, I'd buy these cards as I bought the soccer stickers when i was a child...which means a stack of 20 packs at time

Top Bottom