• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus: Uprising website updates and Palutena Tweets

Neiteio

As I understand it, it just plays a predetermined fight animation. It's not even really a game. It plays the same fights every time you use the same cards.
I'm not sure about that. Each card has unique stats like HP displayed on the lower screen. Some cards are stronger than others, so depending on the match-up, the outcome could be different.

I wonder if Orcos will be in Uprising. He was the final boss in "Of Myths and Monsters":

OrcosBigKidIcarus.jpg
Speaking of which, is this on the eShop? And if it is/ever does come to the eShop is it worth playing?

It's just like any other card game.
One card will always beat another straight on.
But there are also ability cards and the like which change the outcomes.

tim.mbp

Speaking of which, is this on the eShop? And if it is/ever does come to the eShop is it worth playing?

It's out in Japan and PAL land.

Nintendo Life review
Nintendo Life said:
If you're a fan of the original Kid Icarus you owe it to yourself to pick up the sequel. Not only does it capture the same magic found in the NES release, but it also builds on many of the great gameplay ideas featured in the original. The difficulty has been toned down to make it a bit more accessible, but there's still plenty of challenge to be found and a fairly lengthy adventure . Highlighted by some fantastic boss fights, Kid Icarus: Of Myths & Monsters is a great prelude to Kid Icarus: Uprising

I'm not sure about that. Each card has unique stats like HP displayed on the lower screen. Some cards are stronger than others, so depending on the match-up, the outcome could be different.

That's right. Different combinations will play different animations, but each fight is predetermined. Like Palutena always beats Pit, Pit always beats Medusa, ect.

zroid

Banned
Pit isn't voiced by Bosch after all.

Anthony Del Rio sounds crazily close tho...

I saw that in the credits of the short... I can still hardly believe it's not JYB. I'm still not entirely convinced that they didn't just get a sound-alike to do the voices for the short due to scheduling or something lol

I saw that in the credits of the short... I can still hardly believe it's not JYB. I'm still not entirely convinced that they didn't just get a sound-alike to do the voices for the short due to scheduling or something lol

I'm still not sure it's not an alias or something.

Bosch is in everything...

ever

Busaiku

Pit doesn't sound anything like typecasted JYB, so I dunno where that's coming from.
Dark Pit, on the other hand, sounds very much JYB.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I remember when I first heard Pit's voice I thought it sounded like Reptil, that dude from the Marvel Super Hero Squad Show...turns out it's the same guy. Neat.

Boogiepop

Just preordered the game, and was planning to grab a Circle Pad Pro along with it... but looking online and on Gamestop's site they seem impossible to find for anywhere near retail. As a lefty, I'm a little worried. Bleh.

loosus

Banned
The Game Boy game is a LOT better than the NES game. If the Game Boy game were the version released (with color and better resolution, of course) on the NES, Kid Icarus would probably still be a popular franchise today.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
For all the lefties here, playing without the circle pad just means having to aim with the right hand, right?
If that's the case, I've already did it in Metroid DS and I think I'll manage it here as well.

Busaiku

For all the lefties here, playing without the circle pad just means having to aim with the right hand, right?
If that's the case, I've already did it in Metroid DS and I think I'll manage it here as well.

I think it's been said you can use ABXY for movement, so you don't necessarily have to.

Seeing Nintendo be this active with a (re)launch of a new IP gives me a weird sense of satisfaction. And unlike with EA and Dead Space, multiplayer and anime dont seem so far off for this series.

clemenx

Banned
I think it's been said you can use ABXY for movement, so you don't necessarily have to.

I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't mind having to move with ABXY but that was on DS games :/ I'm afraid that now that we have the circle pad the difference could be unbearable.
I'll pick up the Circle Pad Pro anyways, I guess.

But it sucks having to think about this stuff just because I'm lefty. I'm 100% Lefty so trying to use the stylus with the right hand is impossible for me.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
But it sucks having to think about this stuff just because I'm lefty. I'm 100% Lefty so trying to use the stylus with the right hand is impossible for me.
Yeah, it's hard but I think of this as a great opportunity on my road to becoming ambidextrous.

zroid

Banned
I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't mind having to move with ABXY but that was on DS games :/ I'm afraid that now that we have the circle pad the difference could be unbearable.
I'll pick up the Circle Pad Pro anyways, I guess.

I ordered my strap-on thumb stylus from DX a few days ago, so really hoping that will do the trick...

If not, I may really have a problem here, but I guess I'll just have to adapt. No way in hell am I passing on this game just because of my sinistrality.

Neiteio

Will us U.S. folk be seeing Myth and Monsters on the VC anytime soon? I'd like to have all three Kid Icarus titles on my 3DS. :)

Will us U.S. folk be seeing Myth and Monsters on the VC anytime soon? I'd like to have all three Kid Icarus titles on my 3DS. :)

It wasn't mentioned in that PR from last week, so I guess it's not coming in March.

This PR

UPCOMING NINTENDO ESHOP TITLES INCLUDE KETZAL'S CORRIDORS, COLORS! 3D AND SEGA GAME GEAR

March 6, 2012

The diverse lineup of downloadable games for the Nintendo 3DS™ hand-held system keeps on growing. With more than 500 pieces of content currently available on the Nintendo eShop and new additions made every week, players have some exciting titles to look forward to this season. Soon, players can experience Ketzal's Corridors™, a fast-paced, Aztec-themed action-puzzle game with brilliant 3D graphics and head-to-head multiplayer options. The game lets players race against the clock in 96 shape-matching missions and three multiplayer modes. On March 15, Nintendo 3DS owners can download a variety of classic games as the SEGA Game Gear™ system makes its debut on the Nintendo eShop with Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble™, Shinobi™ and Dragon Crystal™. Coming in April, Colors! 3D from Collecting Smiles lets Nintendo 3DS users of any artistic skill level create and share 3D drawings and digital sketches.

Other new and upcoming Nintendo eShop game releases include the following (dates subject to change):

• Punch-Out!!™ Featuring Mr. Dream (March 8) – The classic boxing game from the NES™ returns, featuring fan-favorite characters like Little Mac and Bald Bull.

• Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH! from Shin'en (March 8) – Use your personalized Mii™ character to play 81 challenging holes in exotic locations around the globe.

• Zombie Slayer Diox™ from UFO Interactive (March 22) – A samurai guitarist must use his superior musical chops to defeat zombies in this unique rhythm-action game.

• Arc Style Soccer!! 3D from ArcSystem Works (March/April) – This easy-to-learn, customizable soccer game lets players use photos of their own faces and play wirelessly with friends.

• Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure™ from SEGA (free demo version, April 19) – Download a demo version to feel the rhythm and beat of the mystery in this spellbinding adventure game.

• Crush™3D from SEGA (free demo version, available now) – This unique platform game gives you the ability to change perspective from 2D to 3D as you try to solve brain-teasing puzzles.

The Nintendo eShop is a service featuring games, applications and videos in both 2D and 3D. Users can add money to their virtual wallets using a credit card or by purchasing a Nintendo 3DS Prepaid Card at a retail store and entering the code from the card. New content is added to the Nintendo eShop every Thursday.

For more information about the Nintendo eShop, visit http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/downloads.

Tyeforce

It wasn't mentioned in that PR from last week, so I guess it's not coming in March.

This PR
To be fair, it doesn't mention any non-Game Gear Virtual Console games, and I doubt they're going to go two months without releasing any Game Boy, Game Boy Color, or NES Virtual Console games. I really hope we get it before Uprising comes out. I'm kinda expecting them to release it on the 22nd, the day before Uprising comes out.

Bentles

Same boat here with the left-handed problem. I don't even know where to get the CPP in my country. Gonna have to import it methinks. Oh well it will find further usage whenever monhun comes out.

KevinCow

Banned
Same boat here with the left-handed problem. I don't even know where to get the CPP in my country. Gonna have to import it methinks. Oh well it will find further usage whenever monhun comes out.

You and other lefties who are interested in this game but worried about the controls might consider grabbing a DS wrist strap from Nintendo's online store. It has a little plastic bit that you strap around your thumb, letting you use it on the touch screen instead of a stylus. I'm not a lefty, but I imagine strapping it to your right thumb for aiming wouldn't be so bad if you've gotten used to aiming with your right thumb in console shooters over the past decade or so. It's only $4, so it's a cheaper solution than the CPP, plus you don't lose out on portability.

And really, even beyond lefties, it's a good solution if you're worried about comfort. When I played Metroid Prime Hunters, I did it about half the time with a stylus and half the time with the thumb pad. It worked pretty great.

I feel like this info should be in the OT or something.

Bentles

You and other lefties who are interested in this game but worried about the controls might consider grabbing a DS wrist strap from Nintendo's online store. It has a little plastic bit that you strap around your thumb, letting you use it on the touch screen instead of a stylus. I'm not a lefty, but I imagine strapping it to your right thumb for aiming wouldn't be so bad if you've gotten used to aiming with your right thumb in console shooters over the past decade or so. It's only $4, so it's a cheaper solution than the CPP, plus you don't lose out on portability.

And really, even beyond lefties, it's a good solution if you're worried about comfort. When I played Metroid Prime Hunters, I did it about half the time with a stylus and half the time with the thumb pad. It worked pretty great.

I feel like this info should be in the OT or something.
Thanks for the idea. I think I'm even less likely to find that here but it could work well for others. I'll go out on a shop hunt for the CPP or else I'll try and import it and hope it gets here in time.

Neiteio

This game is exactly what life-long Nintendo fans like myself have been hankering for:

- Franchise revival
- Nostaglia bomb
- Character-driven
- Hardcore mentality
- Content-packed
- Fresh gameplay
- Single-player, multiplayer
- Talented developer
- Brilliant director
- Top-notch production
- Tons of 3DS functionality
- Huge marketing push

It's really the best-case scenario that we always hope for with forgotten franchises like Star Tropics and such, and it's nice to see it actually come true in the case of Kid Icarus. It almost feels surreal that this game exists, not to mention that it was the first game shown for the system. I mean, think about it: a big-budget Kid Icarus sequel, directed by Sakurai of Smash Bros. fame, and it's effectively a console experience on a portable, with glasses-less 3D, and online multiplayer, and augmented reality, and trading cards, and a stand accessory, and anime shorts from IG, Shaft and 4C, and so on. All of this, after an absence of 20+ years. It's out March 23, reviving dozens of characters and adding many more to the Nintendo pantheon in the process. And it comes alongside a retooled 3D version of the NES original for those who preorder.

Wow.

This game is exactly what life-long Nintendo fans like myself have been hankering for:

- Franchise revival
- Nostaglia bomb
- Character-driven
- Hardcore mentality
- Content-packed
- Fresh gameplay
- Single-player, multiplayer
- Talented developer
- Brilliant director
- Top-notch production
- Tons of 3DS functionality
- Huge marketing push

It's really the best-case scenario that we always hope for with forgotten franchises like Star Tropics and such, and it's nice to see it actually come true in the case of Kid Icarus. It almost feels surreal that this game exists, not to mention that it was the first game shown for the system. I mean, think about it: a big-budget Kid Icarus sequel, directed by Sakurai of Smash Bros. fame, and it's effectively a console experience on a portable, with glasses-less 3D, and online multiplayer, and augmented reality, and trading cards, and a stand accessory, and anime shorts from IG, Shaft and 4C, and so on. All of this, after an absence of 20+ years. It's out March 23, reviving dozens of characters and adding many more to the Nintendo pantheon in the process. And it comes alongside a retooled 3D version of the NES original for those who preorder.

Wow.

Pretty much this.

I hope it lives up to the hype, I really do. This game could be a slow burner, but I hope it explodes

Chairhome

Orlando had their tournament today. My brother went in and he placed 4th... the top 3 go to NY for the finals :-(. He's first alternate if anyone can't make it though. He said he got some AR cards and a shirt.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I posted this in the premature ot, but i'll post it here too for those of us that want another look at the multiplayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl4Vj4R96i8

It's the Light v Dark mode at GDC and some of the AR stuff. Looks like you earn more than just weapons and abilities in multiplayer; you get Idols too.

Is the first few minutes of the GDC video the same thing as waiting in SSBB? Can't wait to play the online with some of you hopefully.

Top Bottom