• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 screens

So Y3/4 reviews still had people complaining about "loading times" when entering a random battle? I seriously don't know since I don't read (Yakuza) reviews, I know I will like them.

well not about the loading time, but some people think that the fact you enter 'battle screen' like an rpg is outdated and archaic in the first place, they're expecting something like GTA where you can just fight right there and then without any transition to 'battle mode'

I post the prologue detail again since it's new page

Prologue of the game translated from the website (I think)

someone in official sega forum translate it, should I spoiler tag it?

In april 2010, the chain of events stemming from a dispute between the Tojo Clan and the Ueno Seiwa Clan came to a surprise conclusion when a conspiracy within the police department spanning several years came to light.

After those events, the Tojo Clan undertook a reform under the orders of the sixth chairman, Dojima Daigo. They were in the process of making a deal with the largest clan in Kanai, the Omi Alliance - their longtime enemies.
However...

In december 2012, the seventh chairman of the omi alliance falls critally ill.

The seventh chairman then dies.
The brief period of peace between the Tojo Clan and the Omi Alliance came to an end and a war between east and west broke out. Making emergency preparations that will shake up the entire yakuza community in Japan, the Tojo Clan, pressing to gain strength in the clan quickly, reaches a taboo decision.

That decision is to spread their roots and form alliances with groups from Hokkaido, Nagoya and Fu-kuoka to combat the Omi Alliance. Thus far it has been a grand plan that no one has been able to fulfill.

They engage in desperate negotiations to reach beyond the walls of their territories. But Dojima Daigo, to prevent a huge war, threw the pride of the Tojo Clan to the wind and headed directly to Fu-kuoka...

But at that time, a plan was already in motion - A plan for a huge war involving yakuza groups from around the country. The events quietly unfold. It all begins with the death of a man...

The sleeping men gradually awaken due to the movement of the huge "mountain" that is the Tojo Clan.

Fu-kuoka, Sapporo, Osaka and Nagoya. The men, who scattered across the country to follow their own path, once again leap into a whirlpool of fights for their own beliefs and for the dream of a young girl.

To abandon dreams, to make dreams come true, and to regain dreams once again...

When the destinations of the dreams of the four men and young girl intersect, the events that have been unfolding in five large cities across the country become clear...

this line sounds a bit ridiculous

"The men, who scattered across the country to follow their own path, once again leap into a whirlpool of fights for their own beliefs and for the dream of a young girl." (to be an idol)

maybe we'll get an epic fight scene with Haruka singing in the background lol

gogogow

well not about the loading time, but some people think that the fact you enter 'battle screen' like an rpg is outdated and archaic in the first place, they're expecting something like GTA where you can just fight right there and then without any transition to 'battle mode'

I understand what you mean, at least the screen won't break into pieces and put you in a "battle arena", like in most JRPG's. Maybe Y5 will improve upon this further and you can fight right there without introduction or anything. And what Nagoshi said about seamless transition in and out of battle, is probably about no loading times when entereing buildings, shops etc. Now that really breaks up the pacing imo, especially since those shops are so small.

They actually explained that recently, Sony was the only console manufacturer supportive of the IP when Nagoshi originally pitched the first game to all of them. Or something.

I don't get why Nagoshi need to contact Sony to make the game in the first place, it's not like Sony is funding it or publishing it.

LiK

I don't get why Nagoshi need to contact Sony to make the game in the first place, it's not like Sony is funding it or publishing it.

maybe he likes the relationship he has with his Sony contacts and devs have more time to focus on one console.

Really loved the screens. Also, Haruka is growing up fast and getting so beautiful. I seriously hope we can get this game localized soon. Worldwide simultaneous launch? A man can dream :p

jimi_dini

I seriously hope they don't include multiplayer - it wouldn't make sense anyway, but you never know. I kinda like the multiplayer of Binary Domain, but let's be honest - it's dead.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

You still need a platform holder's approval to release a game on it. Part of MS, Sony, and Nintendo's certification procedures.

Endo Punk

I seriously hope they don't include multiplayer - it wouldn't make sense anyway, but you never know. I kinda like the multiplayer of Binary Domain, but let's be honest - it's dead.

If there is MP and similar to Power Stone and the upcoming Anarchy Reigns then Im 100% up for it.

Jigsaw

Banned
3 main games,2 full-sized spin offs and 2 psp spin offs within 1 generation,i wonder how long they can make them before they stop selling

Gacha-pin

sapporo-photo-15c7e2.jpg

Did anyone notice? It's 4:20. Day/Night time cycle!?!?

Yuck. They've gone for more realism in the character models, so that's the hint there the gameplay/boss battles are once again dumbed down and the story is full of shit, taking itself seriously.

Haruka is 16 years old in this game.

Kiryu left Asagao sometime directly after the events of 4 when some woman visited and he's been missing ever since and even came up with a new name.

3 main games,2 full-sized spin offs and 2 psp spin offs within 1 generation,i wonder how long they can make them before they stop selling

Well I think I speak for a majority of fans but it's the stories and characters that Nagoshi and team have created that draws us back. Along with a sense of place that your there in Japan. As long as they continue that I think sales will continue.

It took me a minute to recognize Saejima even after reading the other Yakuza 5 thread. ha ha

I'm honestly considering importing this upon release. I can't wait to explore these new environments.

Random thought: I was terrible at the "Be the #1 hostess!" minigame...

Be still my beating heart! I cannot think of another title I want to play more that Y5.

A couple things that strike me as interesting:

- New character Shinada looks sorta like Saejima, could it be his son?

How can seajima have a son when he spent so much time in prison .????
Given that he strived to protect her sister and was busy managing his part in the clans before i think that's would have been hard to do .

Not that it's impossible but it will be a surprise given what we know of him so far ..

LiK

imagine Haruka got scouted by Akiyama to be a hostess and then he told Kiryu he found a new young hostess and want to introduce her to Kiryu

I would love for that to happen just to see Kiryu's reaction. And then Haruka pours you drinks and you end up going to a love hotel.

HARUKA CARD GET!

Jubern

Are the Kurohyo games any good BTW? Never played except for a demo at TGS two years ago. For some reason I never bothered to get the final game.

Tizoc

So the game takes place 3 or so years after Yakuza 4 huh?
Well 16 seems about a normal age in Japan for a girl to aim at becoming an Idol.
...but what happened to the orphanage!
...and why is Saejima in prison?!
WHAT'S HAPPENED TO SKY FINANACE?!
IS HANA-CHAN STILL CHUBBY? SKINNY HANA IS UGLY HANA!
...IS KIRYU WORKING UNDERCOVER AS A TAXI DRIVER?!

ANNOUNCE THIS GAME AT E3 SEGA, PLEASE!

Gacha-pin

So the game takes place 3 or so years after Yakuza 4 huh?
Well 16 seems about a normal age in Japan for a girl to aim at becoming an Idol.
...but what happened to the orphanage!
...and why is Saejima in prison?!
WHAT'S HAPPENED TO SKY FINANACE?!
IS HANA-CHAN STILL CHUBBY? SKINNY HANA IS UGLY HANA!
...IS KIRYU WORKING UNDERCOVER AS A TAXI DRIVER?!

ANNOUNCE THIS GAME AT E3 SEGA, PLEASE!
At least in Kurohyo, she was still fat and enjoying yakiniku bento :)

Those screen shots look great, but now I can't use Date in Older Kiryu. I can't wait to see some gameplay footage with or without Haruka's. Though I've got to wonder what the hell Majima is up to these days?

I'm seriously hoping a Western release will get announced eventually...this is going to turn into another situations as with Yakuza 2/3, isn't it?

gogogow

Those screen shots look great, but now I can't use Date in Older Kiryu. I can't wait to see some gameplay footage with or without Haruka's. Though I've got to wonder what the hell Majima is up to these days?

I'm seriously hoping a Western release will get announced eventually...this is going to turn into another situations as with Yakuza 2/3, isn't it?

Do we know how far along the development of the game is? If it's the usual March release in Japan, meaning March 2013, that means IF it gets localized we'll be looking at a March 2014 release in the West... :(

Top Bottom