• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

Sony's new flagship Android smartphones.

zspec6rguvg.png
zlkhjda.png

Specifications
  • 5" Full HD display
  • IPX5/7 (Water-resistant) & IP5X (Dust-proof)
  • 13 MP camera, 2.2MP front camera
  • S4 Pro 1.5 GHz Qualcomm APQ8064+MDM9215M Quad Core
  • Google Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
  • 2GB RAM
  • NFC

OmniBalance design

xperia-z-features-des9gxuv.jpg

Water and dust resistant (Z only)

zspec5cpzdh.png

xperia-z-durability-wv7uku.jpg

5 inch Full HD 1920x1080 display

zspec2fsus4.png

zl2xko8p.png

zspec8ldshz.png

Exmor RS camera for mobile, world's first HDR video for smartphones

zspec7jvs4e.png

Battery STAMINA mode

Battery STAMINA mode saves you wasted battery drain by recognising when your display is off and turning off functions you don’t need, while keeping the notifications you want. As soon as you touch the screen and wake up your phone, everything is up and running again.
Get only the important notices

With Battery STAMINA mode, Wi-Fi and data traffic are disabled during standby, but you still receive incoming calls, texts, and alarms.

8533661701_cda4465007ieunm.jpg

Full spec sheet

zspecsw0ubq.png

zspec3i3uho.png

Models

All models come with 16GB internal storage, microSD storage up to 32GB. Purple only available for Z. Red ZL for US.

sony-xperia-z-will-bemru7c.jpg

Where can I buy it?

The Xperia Z was launched February 9th in Japan, February 28th in Europe, March 6th in India, it will be available through Vodafone on March 13th in Australia.

How much does it cost?

Official prices for unlocked Xperia Z phones are
£529 in the UK (cheaper through various retailers such as Clove and Phones4U)
€629 in the Eurozone
$749 in Australia
¥80,430 in Japan

No price or releasedate for NA but importers can expect to pay up to $800.

Xperia ZL

Available in certain European countries, Japan and India. Getting a US release soon.

Reviews

GSMarena

CNET

Techradar

Levyne

Banned
Wow, was just sorta browsing for a replacement phone today. That looks hot.

Wonder who will carry it in the US (anyone?)

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Wow, was just sorta browsing for a replacement phone today. That looks hot.

Wonder who will carry it in the US (anyone?)

T-Mobile

The ZL (which the OP should've included) will be sold unlocked in the US as well

Fezan

we already have a very alive thread rumors one and a lot of thing are posted there...
any how its great to have ot my impressions of demo unit here in Saudi Arabia.

+The phone looks absolutely gorgeous.its the most beautiful looking smartphone after iphone 4
+ camera quality of demo units was great.didn't analyzed them under microscope but the mobile was connected to a 56inch bravia and pictures taken even in low light appear to be great.
+ price is good(2499 compared to 2699 of ip5 16 and 2599 of BBZ10)

-Screen of the demo unit looked washed out
- speaker sound was some what low but i dont think it matters much.

was going to buy

Hoo-doo

Banned
I never realized that having a completely dust and waterproof phone would be fucking amazing. I pretty much baby my smartphone and dread the day I ever have it come close to a wet or dusty environment.

I really hope more brands pick up this feature.

If AT&T offers this or the ZL in the fall, I may jump to this from my iphone, just to try out android or wait for the new Nexus.

...Or I could try to buy unlocked once it's Stateside... Decisions.

Finally gets its OT, one of the most beautiful Android phones yet. I foresee Water/Dust Resistance becoming standard for next years flagships.

Wubby

First Android phone I've played with that makes me want to give up the iPhone. I would too if my contract wasn't up until October and it was on Softbank.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This just might be the first Android to really satisfy my standards for sleek, sexy hardware. Samsungs are not bad at all, but they didn't quite get there. These Sonys look as sleek as an iPhone (but not played out like iPhone).

Radec

Nice!

This is bullshit though:

features-camera-exmor7pu5l.jpg

No camera phone can produce a bokeh like that with the subject in focus that far. Macro mode yes, but its obviously not a macro shot.

DBT85

I like the Z, but I still have 6 months on my One X contract. Once that's up It'll be either the Z or the successor to the Z.

Beautiful phone.

Akira

Anybody know about the battery for these?

Sony's batteries are typically the kryptonite.

gsmarena_002.jpg

As you would expect from with an ample battery like that, the stand-by performance of the Sony Xperia Z is quite good and helped it to a pretty good final endurance rating of 48h. Unsurprisingly, the Sony Xperia Z can last ages when the screen is not active (in-call and stand-by), but the display is quite power-hungry. Still, according to our result you will only need to charge your smartphone every 48 hours if you do an hour of each of the three tested activities each day, which is quite good.

The stand-by test was performed with Stamina Mode disabled, so if you enable it there is a chance you can squeeze a few more hours out of your Xperia Z.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/sony-xperia-z-battery-test-is-ready-here-come-the-scores/

Akira

Nice!

This is bullshit though:

features-camera-exmor7pu5l.jpg

No camera phone can produce a bokeh like that with the subject in focus that far. Macro mode yes, but its obviously not a macro shot.

Yup, I don't like how Sony uses DSLR -- no, Sony F65 quality footage -- to show off the Z's camera. It's even more ridiculous in the Z promo video where it part shows a 9-bladed lens flare. Nokia got called out for the moving van fiasco, why no big hoopla about Sony's marketing tricks? (In before jokes about no one cares about the 3rd place guy)

Mario007

Yup, I don't like how Sony uses DSLR -- no, Sony F65 quality footage -- to show off the Z's camera. It's even more ridiculous in the Z promo video where it part shows a 9-bladed lens flare. Nokia got called out for the moving van fiasco, why no big hoopla about Sony's marketing tricks? (In before jokes about no one cares about the 3rd place guy)

Nokia made the whole campaign about Lumia be about that Pureview technology so more people were inclined to notice. Sony is talking about an amazing screen, water resistance and great design before talking camera.

vanty

I'm thinking they probably put that Liquipel coating on it. That company is suppose to be setting up stations in malls so you can get any phone coated without having to mail it to them
I think it's just sealed for water and dust resistance which is pretty common for Japanese phones, it's not from some special coating or anything.

I think it's just sealed for water and dust resistance which is pretty common for Japanese phones, it's not from some special coating or anything.

ah ok, surprised then that this feature isn't more readily available on different phones

I'm off to buy an Xperia Z today. It's 50 euros on contract with 25 euros a month, 2 years long. 200 minutes, "unlimited" 3g. Have to pick a color.

Danj

I'm planning on seeing if I can get one of these when I upgrade, I'm eligible for an upgrade on 3 UK on the 12th March.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
13 MP? Awful. If only they'd develop a phone that took half decent photos at the sacrifice of using a resolution that's good enough for 99% of it's use. .

Akira

13 MP? Awful. If only they'd develop a phone that took half decent photos at the sacrifice of using a resolution that's good enough for 99% of it's use. .

HTC One is perfect for you then. Most flagship phones this year will carry the same 13MP Exmor RS sensor of the Xperia Z.

Dude, that's an awesome deal. What about text?

It's 200 minutes/text, which I don't mind, send at most 1 text per month. So text and calling is from the same puddle. I have a decent phone now that I got on contract in 2009. Contract is over and I pay 17 euros a month now for a sim only. I figured an extra 10 euro a moth would get me the Xperia Z, why not :) The line at the store will be huge though.

catmincer

HTC One is perfect for you then. Most flagship phones this year will carry the same 13MP Exmor RS sensor of the Xperia Z.

Most manufacturers can get the camera software right. Sony fails at this which is rather bizarre considering how good their digital cameras are.

I have faith in the camera software to improve. I beleive that Sony will make a real effort with the neXperia and those software efforts will transfer to Xperia Z.

jaydogg691

I really want this phone, but why is there still no word for a US release? This was my most hyped about phone coming into the year with its reveal at CES. With all the overseas coverage about the phone I was hoping there would be some info about a US release.

I'm ready to jump ship on to Android with this phone, but as time goes by newer flagship phones are showing up like the HTC One and the rumored Galaxy IV. The HTC One is looking very hot and if either of these new phones come out before the Sony's offering I might take one of those instead.

Top Bottom