• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What anime besides Steins; Gate and Attack on Titan are worth watching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SD-Ness

I try to watch only the best anime. Seems like there's a lot of crap out there. (As with all entertainment forms but especially anime.)

I'm a huge fan of Miyazaki films, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Akira, Bebop, Champloo, Gurren Lagann, Kenshin, Death Note, Mushi-Shi, Berserk, FLCL, Golden Boy.

For what it's worth: not a huge fan of Evangelion.

Steins; Gate and Attack on Titan seem to be the next two I'll watch.

What else should I try? Is this list reliable?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-anime.php?top50=best_bayesian

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
You watched Golden Boy? You're a good man. Hopefully you watched the English dub.

Here are ones I loved:

Clannad & Clannad: After Story (specifically After Story)
5 Centimeters Per Second
Code Geass
Toradora!
Broken Blade

Mesoian

Nichijou
WataMoe
GITS
if you can deal with cute shows Tamako Market

If you found Gurren Lagann to be an amazing experience:
Gunbuster, then Diebuster, in that order, watch it all in one go.

Off the top of my head I would recommend Ghost in a Shell: Stand Alone Complex. It's a great adult anime.

That list you gave is generally pretty good, you can't go wrong seeking out most of those.

Savitar

Evangelion is an over rated shit waffle that made it's shit up as it went along and yet people think it was all some grand meaning. It doesn't. Basically it's like when people went around shouting there is no spoon leading up to the Matrix sequels.

I suggest you try some Black Lagoon.

Entertaining, cool cast, great stories, and isn't self pretentious BS.

Moaradin

Yu Yu Hakusho
Hunter x Hunter
Full Metal Alchemist series
Fate/Zero
Baccano!

I really wouldn't consider Attack on Titan the best of the best. That show has many issues.

jgmo870

Banned
That list doesn't have any of Satoshi Kon's movies (e.g. Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers, and Paprika).

But Baccano! and 5 cm per second (it's eye candy) are worth a watch.

IXwrHw0.jpg

Neol

FMA: Brotherhood, Hajime no Ippo and Yu Yu Hakusho for awesome shonen experiences.

Azumanga Daioh, Nichijou and Cromartie High School for weird but funny moments.

Kaiji and Monster for psychological thrillers.

Ghost in the Shell, Seirei no Moribito, Katangatari and Daker than Black, Baccano! for serious journey/action anime.

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, Bakemonogatari, Hyouka, Great Teacher Onizuka and Natsume Yuujinchou for unique slice of life experiences.

Welcome to N.H.K.! and Watamote for hard hitting, depressing but funny life experiences.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Kids on the Slope
Uchōten Kazoku
Kaiji
Legend of Galactic Heroes
Monster
FMA: Brotherhood
Hajime no Ippo

you wanted the best of the best? There you go.

Welcome to the N.H.K.

I'm rarely "that" person, but the anime totally fucked up the manga. The ending is also wildly different (the manga probably wasn't finished at the time), and it completely misses the point.

The manga does go to some dark, unpleasant places, which the anime tends to skim out, sometimes leading to strange side-effects. Character has a bad drug trip? No, in the anime, he just randomly hallucinates his fridge is talking to him. That's... better somehow?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
There are good animated series outside anime

?

What does that have to do with the OP? He just asked for a list of stuff, he didn't make any sort of statement of media superiority or other platform warz nonsense.

kurahador

Planetes - space anime...set in the future but very realistic.
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu - comedic spin-off to FMP series, funny as hell.
Full Metal Panic 2nd Raid - sequel to FMP (FMP is kinda boring though, you can skip it). Great story, beautiful animation and action packed.

Collete

Madoka Magica is a good anime despite the initial 2-3 episodes.
The whole series changes after the 3rd episode, so don't let the cover of the anime fool you. It's a lot more than it lets on.
And it is definitely worth it, you'll need a hug once the series is over.

I finished Afro Samurai awhile back as well, also a good anime but it strays away from being the typical anime though.
The english dub is worth it though and the action scenes are top notch. This one is only 5 episodes but there's a sequel and a movie of the series though.

Branduil

The threads Dresden linked to are a good start. You can also check out the AOTY threads, although I won't endorse every series listed in those.

Korra and TMNT2012

There are good animated series outside anime

And there are good live-action shows outside of animation; that doesn't mean I should mention them in a thread about good animated series. There are lots of good books, but I'm not going to mention them in a thread about the best movies ever made. Seems like common sense to me, but maybe I'm wrong. I mean it's fine to mention stuff that's stylistically similar to anime I suppose, but I would assume there's a reason they're asking for anime recommendations and not animation in general.

Check out:

1. Wolf's Rain
2. Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
3. Redline
4. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
5. Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

and something that doesn't get recommended nearly enough:

The Animatrix, specifically Program, The Second Renaissance, World Record, Kid's Story, and Detective Story.

Accoun

I remember liking Gunslinger Girl a lot back in the day. I haven't seen it in a while TBH, but reread the manga a few months ago and still enjoyed it.
Also, I recommend read the manga anyway, since it continues the story.

Hourou Musuko was really neat as well.

No one mentioned Serial Experiments Lain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom