• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What anime besides Steins; Gate and Attack on Titan are worth watching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attack on Titan ain't shit. Watch Madoka Magica and Yu Yu Hakusho

I've heard JoJo's Bizarre Adventure was great and should be getting a new season soon.

Also check out the Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy. Shit's great.

Instro

Yeah, it's cute until you realize that....

Has nothing to do with the anime. Don't drop manga spoilers in anime threads.

This is a surprisingly good list if not outdated. There's a disturbing lack of movies on there but the comparison is kinda difficult anyway.

I've always said that movies need a separate category within the voting. Not enough people watch them, and they are kind of forgotten by the end of the year.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Does Attach on Titan get any better? I've watched 13 episodes, and I found it to be boring. It was like half filler/recap half new stuff every other episode.

zeroshiki

Does Attach on Titan get any better? I've watched 13 episodes, and I found it to be boring. It was like half filler/recap half new stuff every other episode.

Not it doesn't. Don't bother. If you're interested in the story, read the manga. The anime is poorly planned, poorly directed, poorly animated schlock that is coasting on a cool idea.

I think the best parts of the series are episodes 17 - 21. The 2nd half of the Trost arc (where you are) is not very good. I wanted to drop it because it just kept dragging and dragging.

Firemind

Not a single mention of Nodame Cantabile. Humanity (me) weeps.

At least I got a laugh out of, despite GAF's fixation on KyoAni, Haruhi not getting mentioned either. Hahaha, what a backlash.

zeroshiki

Not a single mention of Nodame Cantabile. Humanity (me) weeps.

At least I got a laugh out of, despite GAF's fixation on KyoAni, Haruhi not getting mentioned either. Hahaha, what a backlash.

There have been mentions of Full Metal Panic, Clannad, K-On, Hyouka and Free in this thread. I don't understand the reason to be fixated on Haruhi when its not even KyoAni's biggest property. Should we be upset that Munto was not mentioned either?

Q8D3vil

I saw Stein;Gate recently and it wasn't good.
I highly recommend legend of galactic heroes but only if you like space operas and willing to watch the first arc before giving up.

Wiktor

There have been mentions of Full Metal Panic, Clannad, K-On, Hyouka and Free in this thread. I don't understand the reason to be fixated on Haruhi when its not even KyoAni's biggest property. Should we be upset that Munto was not mentioned either?

Haruhi might not be their biggest property, but it's their most important one historically and it definitely deserves more mentions than utter moeblob crap than K-On is.

Rarity

There are lots, but I think these are essentials to try.

Satoshi Kon (Perfect Blue, Paranoia Agent, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika)
Yuasa Masaaki (Kaiba, Mind Game, Tatami Galaxy, Kemonozume)

Hunter X Hunter 2011
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Trigun
Black Lagoon
Kino's Journey
Crest of the Stars
Full Metal Panic
Seirei no Moribito
Monster

I was just gonna say The Tatami Galaxy, but holy crap these are great suggestions.

Firemind

Haruhi is arguably the first big commercial hit from KyoAni (Air? lol no). It invented a religion for fuck's sake. Just found it amusing Lucky Star got a mention before it.

zeroshiki

Haruhi might not be their biggest property, but it's their most important one historically and it definitely deserves more mentions than utter moeblob crap than K-On is.

You clearly haven't seen enough moeblob shows to say that with a straight face. K-On is pretty good if you get past whatever is preventing you from enjoying a good show for what it is.

On your other point, you are correct. Despite alot of the hate it gets, Haruhi was a good series. The movie was better.

Not it doesn't. Don't bother. If you're interested in the story, read the manga. The anime is poorly planned, poorly directed, poorly animated schlock that is coasting on a cool idea.

You are living in an alternate dimension. The anime is probably the most brilliant manga to anime adaptations of all time, it saved a manga featuring one of the most terrible art quality I have seen for a monthly series. But the series itself had to be dragged out to fit 34 manga chapters into 25 episodes, and the manga itself gets increasingly dragged out over time. So the dragging is only going to get worse, much worse for the anime after 13 eps.

Wiktor

You clearly haven't seen enough moeblob shows to say that with a straight face. K-On is pretty good if you get past whatever is preventing you from enjoying a good show for what it is.

It's moeblob show about essentially nothing. That's what's preventing me from enjoying it. And it's not something I can get past by. It might be a good show in this category (from the ones I've seen it is the best one), but I just hate the whole category.

zeroshiki

You are living in an alternate dimension. The anime is probably the most brilliant manga to anime adaptations of all time,

o_O wtf holy shit lolololololololol

But the series itself had to be dragged out to fit 34 manga chapters into 25 episodes, and the manga itself gets increasingly dragged out over time. So the dragging is only going to get worse, much worse for the anime after 13 eps.

So its NOT the greatest manga to anime adaptation of all time then? Or its greatness is so blinding that it overcomes this poor pacing and terrible planning on the part of the director?

Aad

From what I've seen, I recommend watching any of these:

Higashi no Eden
Kemono no Souja Erin
Eve no Jikan
Aoi Bungaku Series
Mushishi
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor
Usagi Drop
Berserk
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei
Moyashimon
Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou
Hunter x Hunter
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Juuni Kokuki
Mobile Police Patlabor: Early Days
Touhai Densetsu Akagi: Yami ni Maiorita Tensai
Chi's Sweet Home
Natsume Yuujinchou San
Bartender
Kemonozume
Natsume Yuujinchou
One Outs
Samurai Champloo
Hunter x Hunter OVA
Level E
Gankutsuou
Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku
Hunter x Hunter: Greed Island Final
Shoubushi Densetsu Tetsuya
Sakigake!! Cromartie Koukou
Hunter x Hunter: Greed Island
Mousou Dairinin
Dennou Coil
Seirei no Moribito
Shigurui
Serial Experiments Lain
Fullmetal Alchemist

Sorry for some of the titles being in romanji. I just copied and pasted from my list at MAL.

daniels

Hunter x Hunter 2011 one of the few animes i consider "perfect"
Haibane Renmai
Watamote
Kinos Journey
Nichijou
If you dont know the manga Claymore is also awesome
If you want something fucked up try Higurashi or Elfen Lied

Replicant

Try the Rozen Maiden series:

Rozen Maiden
Rozen Maiden Träumend (sequel to Rozen Maiden)
Rozen Maiden Ouvertüre (prequel to Rozen Maiden)
Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen (some kind of remake/alternate universe to Rozen Maiden)

o_O wtf holy shit lolololololololol

So its NOT the greatest manga to anime adaptation of all time then? Or its greatness is so blinding that it overcomes this poor pacing and terrible planning on the part of the director?

The manga itself is dragged out (a strong case can be made that it essentially turned into DBZ after the events of the Battle of Trost) so complaining about the anime having poor pacing is pretty ridiculous. The anime pretty much did its best as far as pacing goes, so it's pretty pointless to complain about the pace of the anime and then recommend the manga when it's not like the pace is any better in the manga.

Jay Sosa

A few I've enjoyed:

Monster (very looong and slow, but imho worth it)
Spiral (ends very suddenly, I assume so that you have to buy the manga)
HoTD (mindless fun)
Lain (very strange)
SOA (yes we know, the second season is the worst of ALL TIMES!!!)
Trigun (loved it almost as much as CB)
Record of Lodoss War (old school stuff, very solid)

Currently watching Proxy and that one seems pretty good as well (no spoilers please)

these threads are useless, everyone just lists everything

yep, at least tell us why you liked it instead of just writing an endless list of shows.

Rozen Maiden
Rozen Maiden Träumend (sequel to Rozen Maiden)
Rozen Maiden Ouvertüre (prequel to Rozen Maiden)
Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen (some kind of remake/alternate universe to Rozen Maiden)

What is with japanese and those godawful german names?

zeroshiki

The manga itself is dragged out (a strong case can be made that it essentially turned into DBZ after the events of the Battle of Trost) so complaining about the anime having poor pacing is pretty ridiculous. The anime pretty much did its best as far as pacing goes, so it's pretty pointless to complain about the pace of the anime and then recommend the manga when it's not like the pace is any better in the manga.

I wasn't actually recommending the manga, per se. Just that if he really wanted to get the story then reading the manga would be faster.

And the standard for greatest ever adaptations must be pretty low if I have to struggle through a best-effort translation of the source material that keeps whatever pacing issues it has in the name of faithfulness. Rozen Maiden 2013, from this season, interprets not so good source material into something well made and interesting.

AllenShrz

Avoid Attack on Titans, is shit.

They lie to your face with the premise of a cool, ballsy anime just to leave you disappointed. Is literally just another anime filled with cliches.

Watch instead Gankutsuou, 5cm per sec or Escaflowne.

Moaradin

They lie to your face with the premise of a cool, ballsy anime just to leave you disappointed. Is literally just another anime filled with cliches.

Watch instead Gankutsuou, 5cm per sec or Escaflowne.

AoT still has it's moments, but yeah, it did not live up to it's promising first couple episodes.

daniels

The thing is attack on titan has some pretty rare but really amazing highs. I like to believe people only watch the other stupid, dull, bad animated, full of shit nonsensical dialog, godawful pacing and boring low episodes in the hopes the next "high" episode is around the corner :)
and to be honest the last few episodes were pretty hype.

My vote obviously goes to Rurouni Kenshin. Watch the first two seasons and the OVAs; skip the third season.

Also

Fumoffu
Clannad and Clannad: AS
FMA: Brotherhood

dan2026

Thread need more Jojo love.
jojo-sexy-hair-cars.png

Mokujin

Must//

*Last Exile [A master piece, but stay away from Last Exile: Fam the silver wing, make like it doesnt exist please]
*Witch Hunter Robin
*GITS:SAC & 2nd GIG

Ones you should watch but maybe not finish//

*Wolfs Rain its awesome till ep 26 iirc, idk why they ended the series like they did after that :/
*Scrapped Princess: I loved it but Im not sure if it holds up too well
*Ergo proxy: The first episode is absolutely incredible, a must watch by itself, the series cant reach that perfection sadly imo, still great atmosphere overall

Cwarrior

Best of Best 10/10 tier
One piece
Hunter x Hunter
Hajime no ippo
Pom poko

9 to 8/10 tier
Yu Yu Hakusho
Fullmetal alchemist Brother hood
Berserk
JoJo
Claymore(great just skip the last two episodes anime only ending and reading the manga from that point on)

Jex

This is a surprisingly good list if not outdated. There's a disturbing lack of movies on there but the comparison is kinda difficult anyway.

It's certainly outdated in part but the quality of the titles at the top of the list is generally very hard to question. Apparently everyone had great taste (e.g. taste I agree with) back in 2007.

Well there's actually a few really well animated action scenes but that's what youtube is for. Although it is fair to say that, on a whole, the animation is average to bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom