• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The First Five Newcomers: Which Smash Bros. had the BEST (Melee, Brawl, SSB4)?

Neiteio

With the announcement of Little Mac today, SSB4 is now at five newcomers -- the number of newcomers that were announced when Melee and Brawl were unveiled.

So... Which set of five is your favorite?

(NOTE: I'm going to use Brawl models for the Melee characters)

MELEE

bowser.jpg

BOWSER

peach.jpg

PEACH

iceclimbers.jpg

ICE CLIMBERS

zelda.jpg

ZELDA

sheik.jpg

SHEIK

BRAWL

metaknight.jpg

META KNIGHT

pit.jpg

PIT

zerosuit_samus.jpg

ZERO SUIT SAMUS

wario.jpg

WARIO

snake.jpg

SNAKE

SSB4:

main.png

VILLAGER

main.png

MEGA MAN

main.png

WII FIT TRAINER

main.png

ROSALINA & LUMA

main.png

LITTLE MAC

Me personally:

I can't say with 100% certainty that it's not the SSB4 hype coloring my view of things, but I really think I like SSB4's "First Five" the best. They're just all so clever -- Villager's ability to "pocket" projectiles, Mega Man's many power-ups, Wii Fit Trainer's integration of real fitness techniques, Rosalina & Luma's puppet mechanic, and Little Mac's speed, combo ability, super armor and OKHO Super Meter attack.

Cade

Melee, no contest. Good female characters, dual Mario rep, and two characters that at the time played wholly uniquely.

It's pretty clearly Melee, though that may simply be due to the fact that they've been around longer, and become established characters. I can't imagine a Smash Bros without Peach. I can pretty easily imagine one without Zero Suit Samus.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Brawl by far. Each one of those characters was a lot of fun to play as and Snake was one of the biggest megaton announcements I've ever witnessed.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
little mac looks incredibly fun, and rock and villager look fun too. so im giving it to smash 4

SmithnCo

Hard choice between Brawl and Smash 4. I'll give it to 4 though. Really hyped when I saw Villager, Mega Man and Mac. Rosalina and WFT look amazing too.

Mac put me over the edge, being a big PO fan.

TriGen

I'll say Melee. I mean Zelda and Bowser are essential Nintendo characters. I think that makes it Melee by default.

Ryce

It’s pretty tough to choose.

They’re not very “exciting,” but Bowser, Peach, and Zelda are definitely among Nintendo’s most important characters.

Regarding Brawl, Wario was long overdue. The others are cool, but I wouldn’t call them essential.

Villager, Mega Man, and Little Mac are really important, and even Rosalina & Luma and Wii Fit Trainer are great picks.

So… I guess I’d go with SSB4.

Mega Man and Little Mac win. Though Melee's is also hard to deny as being great.

That said, Mega Man. Meeega man. Nintendo loves Mega Man more than capcom does. Sad face.

I want to choose Brawl because of Pit, but I really dislike Snake as IMO it has no place in this series, so I guess I'll go with Melee.
Then again, to be fair, every Smash 4 announcement has made me want to play as the newcomer. They all look pretty unique and really fun to even just mess around with.

Neiteio

Also, I added this to the OP, because I realized I didn't share my own opinion:

I can't say with 100% certainty that it's not the SSB4 hype coloring my view of things, but I really think I like SSB4's "First Five" the best. They're just all so clever -- Villager's ability to "pocket" projectiles, Mega Man's many power-ups, Wii Fit Trainer's integration of real fitness techniques, Rosalina & Luma's puppet mechanic, and Little Mac's speed, combo ability, super armor and OKHO Super Meter attack.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
SSB4 and it's not even close. Either Villager or Mega Man alone beats the entire Melee and Brawl lists, as much hype as the Snake reveal was.

Gartooth

Hard to say, I think Brawl's won me over more. I was incredibly hyped to see Meta Knight, Pit, and Wario show up and Solid Snake took me by surprise in a big way. Melee while not having as exciting choices, did have Peach, Bowser, and Zelda which are all highly important Nintendo characters. Smash 4 has Mega Man and Little Mac who are my favorite two, but the other three don't have me as hyped. (although I am glad to see an Animal Crossing character)

Guess my ranking would be:

Brawl > Melee > Smash 4

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It was pretty tough decision. I would say SSB4 due to the diverse and innovation of move sets, even I would love to pick all of them since they are fantastic in their own ways.

Vysetron

Neo Member
It's a difficult comparison. Melee introduced a ton of characters that really fleshed out the roster, Brawl had megatons like Snake (and to a lesser extent Pit), and 4 is having surprisingly great retro representatives. On top of that, Melee and Brawl; had other newcomers that were arguably even more well received (eg: Sonic, ROB, Game and Watch).

Edit: strike my original opinion. Mega Man and Little Mac are beating the shit out of each other in 4. Hype is blinding me a bit, but probably the best start.

Alchemy

Melee, mostly because it brought in characters that absolutely needed to be in the series. The fact there was no Bowser in 64 is mind boggling.

ALM5252

Brawl because of Snake.

SSB4 because those "unexpected" newcomers.

But Snake wins by default. Hope he returns, he feels so natural and Nintendo-y.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Snake was an awful choice for a Smash character he's barely had any games on Nintendo platforms.

He's had more games on Nintendo platforms than Pit has.

Metal Gear
Snake's Revenge
Ghost Babel
Twin Snakes

vs.

Kid Icarus
KI: Of Myths and Monsters

and that was it at the time of Brawl's release.

EhoaVash

Brawl was more hype and made more impact than Smash For U's roster I mean who would of thought snake vs mario? like everyone thought wtf same with sonic in the game and wario's bombastic entrance. but overall I like SSBFU's roster more cause characters look more cool/ are more unique but of course that should be a given as each iteration should improve on the past game

Jawmuncher

Brawl had the best newcomers just because of snakes inclusion alone.
Mainly since his appearance changed everything and meant anything could be expected.

Zomba13

Brawl. Pit and Meta Knight are super cool and Snake was a huge surprise. SSB for Wii u/3DS (seriously needs a better name) does have Mega Man going for it though.

one_kill

As much as I was hyped to see Mega Man, nothing would've prepared me for Snake. No one was prepared. It was a complete surprise!

But overall, Smash 4 has the best first five newcomers.

Top Bottom