• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The First Five Newcomers: Which Smash Bros. had the BEST (Melee, Brawl, SSB4)?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Can't really pick one...

Melee - Zelda/Sheik was a brilliant way to handle that character. Ice Climbers were a unique and interesting approach that was exciting. Bowser pushed the boundary of just the scale and weight characters could have.

Brawl - Pit and Metaknight were just awesome. The flight mechanic added a new dimension to consider. Wario was a charming yet obvious inclusion. Zero Suit Samus added an interesting dynamic to a pre-established character. Also Snake. Because Snake.

U/3DS - Wii Fit Trainer is Smash Bros. character selection at its best and most clever. MegaMan compensating for all the different weapons is an interesting dynamic to balance. Villager is just silly. Rosalina is another unique and creative way to introduce a new character. Little Mac seems obvious but I'm not certain as to how he'll fare.

Toxi

Banned
Brawl loses because Zero Suit Samus seriously what the fuck. I hate the idea of Zero Suit Samus as a playable character. Who the hell ever played a Metroid game and thought: "You know all those awesome power-ups and energy tanks I've been spending the whole game collecting to traverse this planet and become a nigh-invincible warrior? Yeah fuck that, I want to fight in long underwear while only armed with a little pew pew pistol that couldn't even kill enemies in-game." It'd be like adding a new form for Link wearing farm clothes and only carrying a wooden sword, but the wooden sword suddenly magically shoots fireballs because that's the only way audiences would be able to take civilian Link seriously.

So it's Melee versus 4. Melee wins for me because Ice Climbers are an amazing concept, Bowser and Peach are shoe-ins, and Zelda/Shiek is a neat idea with flawed excecution. The stuff in Smash 4 are good though.

Neiteio

Some random thoughts:

- Melee introduced some amazing new character concepts: A two-in-one character in Zelda/Sheik, and a two-at-once character in Ice Climbers. The latter was deliciously retro, to boot. Bowser and Peach are essential Mario characters, of course. Bowser is one of my favorite Nintendo characters, and while he was a bit too realistic here for my tastes, they still pulled him off well.

- Brawl not only had Wario, but put a spin on him with his WarioWare outfit (although the classic outfit was included as an alt). Pit and Meta Knight introduced the element of flight. Pit had a radical redesign -- a reimagining of a character who'd been absent for years. Zero Suit Samus was a great way to embody the "feminine" side of Samus that is so important to her identity. She also represented a twist on the two-in-one character concept. And Snake changed the game forever by not only allowing for the possibility of third-party characters, but ones from "mature" franchises seldom seen on Nintendo consoles.

- SSB4, as I said before, is my preferred of the lot. Villager is incredibly clever -- my two favorite moves are his ability to pick up and pocket items and projectiles, and his attack where he plants a seed, waters it, grows it into a tree and then chops down the tree. With Mega Man, his Mega Buster is his neutral physical attack, and he can run and gun just like in the NES games. He also incorporates numerous power-ups. Then you have Wii Fit Trainer, who turns every move (and idle animation!) into an exercise opportunity. You have the series' first "puppet character" with Rosalina & Luma. And with Little Mac, you have a character with super armor, who can counter and charge up a Super Meter to OHKO opponents -- very true to the spirit of his game.

Melee's were a bit obvious beyond Sheik and Ice Climbers. Brawl and SSB4's by comparison were more mixed; obvious inclusions like Wario and Mac, but completely left-field inclusions like Snake and Wii Fit Trainer. It's hard to choose which one I prefer, though I'm probably leaning towards SSB4 just since it seems more interesting in terms of having new franchises and gameplay styles. Also remember initially being disappointed Meta Knight wasn't Dedede and Zamus wasn't Ridley, while with SSB4 besides maybe Tom Nook instead of Villager to a much lesser extent I wasn't really let down with any of the inclusions.

I would probably say Brawl just because of how exciting the Snake announcement was at the time. But aside from Wii Fit Trainer, SSB4's newcomers look a lot more interesting to play as than the first Brawl ones.

Kinsei

Banned
Smash 4 has the best ones in my eyes. Mega Man is better than Snake, Rosalina is better than Peach, Villager is a better wut? character than the Ice Climbers, and Little Mac should have been a character since Melee. The only one I don't care for is Wii Fit Trainer, which I can't say about any of the first 5 newcomers in the other games, but I think the quality of the other 4 makes up for it.

BlackJace

Wii Fit Trainer has got to be the most whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat reaction I've ever had.

So SSB4, followed by Brawl's Meta Knight and ZS Samus.

I'm going to have to go with Melee. Peach is one of my mains, and it was Ice Climbers that was part of what got me excited in the first place, even if they weren't the best characters.

Bluth54

He's had more games on Nintendo platforms than Pit has.

Metal Gear
Snake's Revenge
Ghost Babel
Twin Snakes

vs.

Kid Icarus
KI: Of Myths and Monsters

and that was it at the time of Brawl's release.

Pit isn't a third party character though.

Have to go with Brawl on this one. Metaknight, Wario, AND Snake? Amazing. And Pit and ZS Samus were cool too.

I think it was that reveal trailer that did it for me. So good.

Fey

Banned
Brawl > Melee > 4

None of the newcomers from SSB4 apart from Mega Man got me pumped, whereas Sheik, Peach, Bowser, Wario, ZSS, MetaKnight, and Snake all got me hyped as hell for Melee/Brawl.

botty

Banned
The fact that Melee was rushed and continues to take a visceral diarrhea on the rest of the series with great contempt is both sad and hilarious.

I choose Brawl for Pit, though.

I'm going to go with the Wii U game because of the Animal Crossing character and Little Mac. I'll be playing as those two for the most part.

Walter Matthau

Gold Member
Smash 4 wins out to me. The Snake announcement for Brawl probably had the biggest wow factor overall, but the Smash 4 characters all look amazing to play as despite being completely random.

Neiteio

I have a huge doubt about that, but we will see next month if they are planning to announce him.
Alternatively, rather than tying his unveiling to Ground Zeroes, they could tie it to E3, where Konami will probably have a huge presence involving MGSV proper.

Snake was extremely well-received in Brawl, and he was a huge creative accomplishment for Sakurai, who came up with a move-set centered around direct and indirect ordinance attacks. And Snake's celebrity status is still strong. Konami would probably want Snake in SSB4 -- and if Konami wants it, there's no reason Sakurai wouldn't.

main.png

People actually like this?

EulaCapra

Gold - Melee: It introduced franchise mainstays Peach, Bowser, and Zelda. Introduced new mechanics like Sheik transformation plus Ice Climbers, who were already obscure enough. Plus, always a good thing to introduce more females.
Silver - SSB4: Even more females! People expected Pac-Man out of the gate but not Mega Man all of a sudden. Villager and Little Mac were expected, but nobody was counting on Rosalina until Fall 2013 and Wii Fit Trainer left people's eyes popped out of their sockets. The characters feel more second-tier compared to Brawl, but I'm a big proponent of more females and the hotness of Little Mac.
Bronze - Brawl: Pit! Finally! Awesome! Cool! Meta Knight. Okay, sure. Another Kirby rep I guess. Zero Suit Samus! What?! Neat! Wario! Expected. Snake! Wait, what!? Snake! Snake!!! OMG, SNAKE! (15 minutes later) What's Snake doing here? Aren't there more deserving third-party characters that are more synonymous with Nintendo? Where's Sonic? Mega Man? Simon Belmont?

Neiteio

People actually like this?
Wii Fit Trainer is amazing, yes. Totally made E3 for me, and I say that as a multi-plat following every system! She's just so creative. Sakurai took a character that virtually no one predicted or even entertained as remotely feasible, and he made her into a nimble ninja of a fighter that incorporates real-life exercise techniques into each and every move. She's even exercising during her ledge-leaning and idle animations. XD

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Alternatively, rather than tying his unveiling to Ground Zeroes, they could tie it to E3, where Konami will probably have a huge presence involving MGSV proper.

Snake was extremely well-received in Brawl, and he was a huge creative accomplishment for Sakurai, who came up with a move-set centered around direct and indirect ordinance attacks. And Snake's celebrity status is still strong. Konami would probably want Snake in SSB4 -- and if Konami wants it, there's no reason Sakurai wouldn't.

I'm not against his inclusion, but I'm very concerned about his chance. That's all. I'm aware of those informations, but I'm worried that they might decide to not permit Sakurai to put Snake in Smash again.

Brawl, no one knew Nintendo would do 3rd party characters and snake of all characters was a huge surprise. The hardcore Nintendo fans had a huge desire to see Pit/Kid Icarus revived back then so that was a surprise that was very fan service-y. ZSS was also an unexpected twist highlighting final smashes. Metaknight and Wario were welcome but somewhat expected characters.

Neiteio

I'm not against his inclusion, but I'm very concerned about his chance. That's all. I'm aware of those informations, but I'm worried that they might decide to not permit Sakurai to put Snake in Smash again.
I totally understand, and I'm right there with you -- I can see it going either way. I can see Snake coming back, for the reasons I mentioned, but I can also see Snake getting cut because... shit happens, and there are people beyond Nintendo's control who are involved in the decision-making process (where Snake is concerned).

I tend to feel he will come back, though. From Konami's point of view, it's free marketing -- being in a super-popular title like Smash endears people to Snake and generates word of mouth for the Metal Gear series. It doesn't matter that GZ and MGSV aren't on WiiU -- the net effect strengthens the brand all the same.

From Sakurai's point of view, Snake is a complete character and truly one-of-a-kind, not to mention he has his fans in Brawl and in the videogame world in general. A lot of star power, and humor value. Certainly a bullet-point on the back of the box that wouldn't hurt. :)

kirby_fox

Banned
Melee > Smash 4 > Brawl

Melee put staple characters in. Smash 4 is putting more from series that were highly desired in.

Brawl falters I think a bit because of Zero Suit and Snake. Snake is too polarizing I think, and because of that it feels weaker than the other 2.

Regiruler

Brawl by far.
All of them, bar ZSS, were really awesome additions.
That and it resurrected Pit.

I will admit the little mac and megaman trailers were hype as fuck.

I'm going to go with 4 > Melee > Brawl. Peach, Zelda, and Bowser were extremely awesome reveals for Melee, but these new reveals are so hype! Wii Fit Trainer was one of the craziest things ever! Mega Man, Rosalina, and even Little Mac have shown some really great playstyles and look incredibly fun.

Smash 4, without a doubt. The cleverness of Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, the long-time-coming of Mega Man, plus that Lil Mac trailer was hype as FUCK

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
Smash Bros 4, easy. I'm loving the hype combo-heavy reveal trailers, and I'm loving such creative characters like Wii Fit Trainer and Villager.

Top Bottom