• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The First Five Newcomers: Which Smash Bros. had the BEST (Melee, Brawl, SSB4)?

Madao

SSB4's five.

Rosalina ensures victory. the other rosters didn't do anything major for me but as soon as Rosalina was revealed, this game was upgraded to day 1 purchase.

honorable mention to SSBM's five since Peach was my main in SSBM and seeing her in action back when the game was revealed was fun.

GooeyHeat

Well, I wasn't paying attention to games media at the time of Melee's reveal, so comparing Brawl's to For's... that's really tough.
The only one I wasn't excited about in Brawl was Zero Suit Samus. Wario was overdue, Meta Knight is a badass (especially at the age I was then, lol), Pit looked really cool with his redesign, and, of course.... SHOWTIME.
On the other hand, Smash For started with Villager, whom I'm not too excited for, even though his moves look interesting. THEN MEGA MAN HAPPENED. Wii Fit Trainer is a stroke of genius, Rosalina has a great play-style, and Little Mac is a boxer, which means he's confirmed to be awesome.
Nowadays, I'm more focused on how the game plays, so my reactions are pretty different.
I'll pick Smash For, though, just because Snake wasn't as big for me since I had never played Metal Gear Solid, while Mega Man showing up was a thing of beauty.

zashga

Gotta go with Smash 4 because, well, Megaman. I love how they captured the NES Megaman look with a clean 3D model. Between this and Pit, Smash Bros has done a pretty amazing job modernizing nostalgic character designs from that era.

I'm thinking SS4, Brawl as a close second, and Melee last.

Brawl is close because the surprise of Snake and Sonic (he may have not have been first 5, but he was the reason I Day 1'd Brawl) was amazing pick-ups for Smash imo.

SSB4 inches it out as better right now not only because of how it looks and the presentation, but how it looks to play too. Especially with Little Mac and Mega Man, it looks like it fits really well, and they look usable enough where they'll be popular beyond the novelty wearing off (I honestly don't know if that happened with Sonic and Snake, I just don't see MM or LM going away easily, at all).

I'm torn between Brawl and SSB4.
I think I'm going with 4 because it gave us (in my opinion) TOTALLY unexpected fighters.
Wario? Pit? Yeah okay. But Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina and fucking Mega Man?! Nope, 4 wins.

Also Little Mac looks like he's very awesome to fight with.

Evilisk

Brawl had the better reveal trailer

Also I don't like any of the first five newcomers from any of the other games so Brawl it is

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I totally understand, and I'm right there with you -- I can see it going either way. I can see Snake coming back, for the reasons I mentioned, but I can also see Snake getting cut because... shit happens, and there are people beyond Nintendo's control who are involved in the decision-making process (where Snake is concerned).

I tend to feel he will come back, though. From Konami's point of view, it's free marketing -- being in a super-popular title like Smash endears people to Snake and generates word of mouth for the Metal Gear series. It doesn't matter that GZ and MGSV aren't on WiiU -- the net effect strengthens the brand all the same.

From Sakurai's point of view, Snake is a complete character and truly one-of-a-kind, not to mention he has his fans in Brawl and in the videogame world in general. A lot of star power, and humor value. Certainly a bullet-point on the back of the box that wouldn't hurt. :)

Hopefully, you are right! I really enjoy his one of kind move set, and I can't really see anyone taking over the move and feel right about it.

Neiteio

I wonder what kind of impact SSB4's first five would've had, if they had all been at E3. Imagine that during Nintendo's E3 Direct, it went Villager... Wii Fit Trainer... Rosalina & Luma... Little Mac... and then closed out with Mega Man. Or imagine if it played out the way it did, with Villager in the debut trailer, and Mega Man afterwards, and then Wii Fit Trainer announced out the blue... and then later during E3 (maybe Days 2 and 3), separate standalone trailers for Rosalina and Little Mac. Would've been HYPE!

I'm not really able to consider Melee, since it was my first Smash Bros. and I got it a few years after it came out.

When Brawl's first five characters were announced, the only one that really impressed me personally was Pit. I didn't know who Solid Snake was at the time (I was a twelve year-old Gamecube fanboy), and while I knew who Wario and Meta Knight were, they weren't really a big deal.

Years later, all five of 4's new characters are really appealing to me. Villager and Wii Fit Trainer both looked hilarious when they were revealed. I adored Mario Galaxy, so Rosalina was a very pleasant surprise. And for both Mega Man and Little Mac, I was playing through their respective star-making games (Mega Man 2 and Punch-Out NES) on my 3DS at the time of their announcement, so I was just getting in on the hype with those two.

So yeah, Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS all the way.

Dizzy

Banned
Brawl without a doubt. Then melee, and Smash 4 far in the distance since megaman is the only good character there.

Definitely Melee, though Smash 4 is far more exciting than Brawl. Brawl had pretty uninteresting roster additions. I mean...Browser and Zelda? That is damn hard to beat, though Megaman comes close.

Forkball

Brawl. It had some glaring omissions from Melee (Pit, Meta Knight, Wario), an interesting new mechanic (character switching via powerup) and a shocker (Snake).

Smash 4's is garbage. Megaman is about the only decent new character that's been anounced so far. I couldn't care less about Wii Fit trainer or villager. Rosalina?! Come on. The fact that they're including them really tells me they're scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of recognizable Nintendo mascots to use. Melee had the best cast of newcomers.

At this point they should just screw recognizability and pull some cool characters, even if they're less prominent. Give me the Black Knight from Fire Emblem.

Still not sure why Ridley's not in it. He doesn't have to be any bigger than Bowser.

FirLocke

Gotta say SSB4. I'm hyped for all of them, especially Mac, Trainer and Mega Man. Rosalina will probably turn out to be my favourite female character to play as after Trainer and Villager will be my new Game and Watch in terms of annoying character to play as, if G&W isn't in.

But Brawl did have Ike. Hopefully 4 will get Chrom.

Codeblue

I was going into this thread thinking Brawl, but when you put them up side by side like that, it's hard not to go with 4 for Megaman alone.

Sm4sh > Melee > Brawl

For me, SSB4 has had the most newcomers I actually enjoy. Mega Man is a dream come true, Villager is one of my favorite characters, Wii Fit Trainer is so absurd it's funny, Rosalina looks fun to play as, and so does Little Mac.

Melee had a good starting five, but I never cared for Bowser and Peach (still don't).

With Brawl, the only characters I liked were Metaknight and Wario. That's it. Zero Suit Samus was a lame "addition", Pit did nothing for me and Solid Snake caused me months of salty Internet posting (that's what kids do).

Sakujou

Banned
going to be a meltdown. thats for sure.

iam so looking forward to ssb4.

will buy both. its just such an awesome franchise.

i have to say, as much i was hyped for brawl, as hard i got disappointed but this mess and fucked up new balanced gameplay.
hoping for 60fps goodness.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna be interesting, when SSB4 comes out, to ask which game had the best newcomer roster overall; I'm gonna predict Melee loses that one because of the clone horde.

Looking at them i think the three has very strong yet different aspects that make the great.

-Melee: Obvious characters making an introduction. Females a galore, and the first villian. The ice climbers were the surprise, and they way they handle them is pretty clever for fighting games. Zelda/Sheik mechanic was also pretty great and surprising mechanic.

-Brawl: More obvious but great choices like Wario. Pit is the big nostalgic surprise character. The introduction of Zero Suit Samus and the specials to the gameplay. And of course, then is the mega surprise Snake thta was pretty crazy and hype inducing. I don't find him a surprising now and I think other thrid party characters make much more sense, but at the time was pretty nuts.

-SSB4: Probably the most clever use of characters and what they bring as different fighting styles. They are not obvious additions anymore, but act more as really cool charcaters to add. Of course, same as Pit and the Ince Climbers, the big nostalgic surprise here is Little Mac. But you see, there you have the gym style of wiifit trainer (and I hope is the indication of alternate outfits), the crazy style of Villager, the interesting duo attacks of Luma with Rosalina, and Little Mac's amazing counter style boxing that can't use kicks or fight well in the air.
And then of course you have Mega Man, that makes more sense than snake, and it was a fan favourite request during the brawl days.

Even if Little Mac is one of my most requested characters ever (apart from Ridley) and Im in absolute love of how they brought him in the game, I can't really choose which one is better of the three game's starting newcomers.
It indeed was surprising that they feel so equal, becuase before seeing the three lists I would have thought that brawl without a doubt.

I absolutely love 4's. Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Little Mac? I think it's great how Nintendo is representing more and more of their older or less "core"-focused franchises with each iteration. Rosalina is a fan favorite so it makes sense to include her and she's a way better character than Daisy and MegaMan is the best third party character they could have included aside from Sonic. Smash 4 is shaping up to be great.

All I need now is Dr. Kawashima in Oni form!

SykoTech

Brawl, no contest.

One of the things that game really did right. Meta Knight, Pit, and Zero Suit Samus were mind-numbing enough. And then Snake?! Wow. Wario was nice too, though entirely expected.

Exotoro

Smash 4's is garbage. Megaman is about the only decent new character that's been anounced so far. I couldn't care less about Wii Fit trainer or villager. Rosalina?! Come on. The fact that they're including them really tells me they're scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of recognizable Nintendo mascots to use. Melee had the best cast of newcomers.

At this point they should just screw recognizability and pull some cool characters, even if they're less prominent. Give me the Black Knight from Fire Emblem.

Still not sure why Ridley's not in it. He doesn't have to be any bigger than Bowser.

They're already doing that with Rosalina though...

Top Bottom