• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The First Five Newcomers: Which Smash Bros. had the BEST (Melee, Brawl, SSB4)?

SykoTech

Surprised 4 is getting so much love, current hype aside.

You couldn't pick more obvious shoe-ins than Mega Man, Villager, Rosalina, and Little Mac. Nice choices, but not surprising at all. Oddly enough, WiiFit Trainer has been the only unexpected pick.

I guess people are mainly going by which characters they're bigger fans of, which is fine. But I just can't get that hyped over characters that had like a 95+ percent chance of getting in.

rawktapus

You couldn't pick more obvious shoe-ins than Mega Man, Villager, Rosalina, and Little Mac. Nice choices, but not surprising at all. Oddly enough, WiiFit Trainer has been the only unexpected pick.

I guess people are mainly going by which characters they're bigger fans of, which is fine. But I just can't get that hyped over characters that had like a 95+ percent chance of getting in.

Considering though, that Sakurai had previously stated that Villager would not work as a fighter, I don't hink many people were expecting him. Actually, the only character on that list I thought was a sure thing was Little Mac, and even that was tenuous due to his status as an Assist Trophy. Mega Man was dead and buried before Smash, so I don't think many people were holding out hope for him, and most people didn't expect Mario to get a new rep at all.

Compare that to Metaknight, a new character from Kirby which only had one rep for the first two games, Pit, who had been teased since Melee, Wario and ZS Samus are both pretty obvious characters. The craziness of Snake almost makes up for all of that, though.

Ryce

Well, the topic says "best" newcomers, not "most unexpected" newcomers. Whether a character is obvious or not is irrelevant.

Also, those characters were not shoo-ins. It's easy to say that now looking back, but where were you prior to E3? IntelliHeath held this roster prediction survey, and here are the percentages guessed for the first five newcomers:

Little Mac - 60.51%
Mega Man - 58.83%
Rosalina - 4.21%
Villager - 0.84%
Wii Fit Trainer - 0%

Only Little Mac and Mega Man were largely "expected."

Sami+

Brawl, easily. Meta Knight and Wario were long overdue, Snake is awesome, and Pit was a great surprise. ZSS was neat.

Peach from Melee is the greatest of all time so of course..

How-to-Stitchface-Turnip-1088807.jpg

Tailer

For me It's brawl just all around good and having sonic was just too good for me, if they do add rayman then I think I will actually change my mind to smash 4 to be honest.

As much as I loved ZSS, the rest of the revealed characters I didn't care too much about. Snake blew my mind, but wasn't a character I felt any absolute need to play as. Contrast this with Smash 4, where I have no idea what I'm going to do with my first few hours with the game, because I want to play as ALL of the as of yet revealed characters. Villager is my only maybe.

So for me at least, 4 wins. Maybe some of the secret characters will overall weigh in less favorably, but I doubt it. The new characters are just too good.

Axass

I can't say with 100% certainty that it's not the SSB4 hype coloring my view of things, but I really think I like SSB4's "First Five" the best. They're just all so clever -- Villager's ability to "pocket" projectiles, Mega Man's many power-ups, Wii Fit Trainer's integration of real fitness techniques, Rosalina & Luma's puppet mechanic, and Little Mac's speed, combo ability, super armor and OKHO Super Meter attack.

I agree SMB4, Rosalina, Megaman and most importantly Little Mac seal the deal for me.

Jeels

The problem I had with Brawl's roster is that there were too many clone characters. I am sorry but I don't need three versions of Fox.

But my favorite addition in Brawl was def King deDede so happy to see him in Smash 4.

Smash 4 def has the best first five with AC Village, Megaman, and Rosalina.

DJIzana

The problem I had with Brawl's roster is that there were too many clone characters. I am sorry but I don't need three versions of Fox.

But my favorite addition in Brawl was def King deDede so happy to see him in Smash 4.

Smash 4 def has the best first five with AC Village, Megaman, and Rosalina.

Yep... I felt the same way.

new smash.

smash is all about diversity. people yelling that a character sucks before using them are the reason companies get scared to branch out. i welcome the new and hope for many more obscure characters

Shouldn't Melee be the only answer since its first five reveals were for some of the most popular Nintendo characters ever?

No one outside of Nintendo fandom knows who Villager is. lol

Shouldn't Melee be the only answer since its first five reveals were for some of the most popular Nintendo characters ever?

Animal Crossing: Wild World 11.73 million sold worldwide
Animal Crossing: New Leaf 7.66 million sold Worldwide

Such a niche franchise.

FSLink

Banned

First of all, AC is a crazy well selling series.

Second, this is quite a bump....

Top Bottom