• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which do you prefer: Super Mario Galaxy series or Super Mario 3D series?

NEO0MJ

I'd need to replay Galaxy 2 to make a fair call. Hope Nintendo releases an HD remaster for the Galaxy Duo.

Does anyone know if we'll see more 3D Land games for WiiU? Or is there a new title coming? 3D Land isn't the "main" Mario game for WiiU is it?

You mean 3D World? That's the main 3D Mario game on the platform. We're getting a spinoff for it though with Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, which takes the Captain Toad minigame and builds a whole game with that concept.

andymcc

Banned
I almost can't believe I'm saying this—I absolutely adore the Galaxy games, and always have—but I actually think I prefer Super Mario 3D World.

Mario Galaxy is all about spectacle. It's about playing with gravity and transversing creative environments in an interesting way. And it's great.

But Galaxy just doesn't control quite as tightly as Mario 3D World, and as a result, it's less about skill and more about discovery.

Pretty much agreed. Let me also expand on your second point. In another thread, I compared the star launchers to that of an automated spring in a 3D Sonic game. You lose control of the game and watch for several seconds as the game propels you through what is a non-interactive event. These are things people criticize in 3D sonic but, in the case of Mario Galaxy, a game where this kind of thing is just as prevalent in as 3D Sonic, it is tolerated.

In the Galaxy games, often times levels feeling "large" and "epic" are largely an artifice. They're mostly disjointed and you're getting shot from small planetoid to another small planetoid, it's incongruous. Whereas in 3D World, the pieces of levels fit together to make a more cohesive whole, like an honest to god platforming obstacle course.

Lijik

This is impossible to answer.

For one, I love Galaxy's creativity is amazing. Every world is so well realized.

But 3D World has incredibly fun platforming stages that seem fresh every time.

I guess Galaxy is more "thematic" while 3D World is more "mechanic", if that makes sense. Both have insanely creative levels and sublime platforming, and their both beautiful games.

I hate to say it, but I never played Galaxy 2. I know, I know. I'll get on it shortly.

This is why Im having a hard time to answer too!
I havent played Galaxy 2 in a while since I lost my copy somehow, but I remember it being a good middle ground between Galaxy and the 3D games, which makes me want to give the Galaxy series the edge.

WillyFive

Galaxy by far.

Super Mario 3D ___ is like the NSMB series in 3D. Feels like it was made in Mario Maker.

I wouldn't say Mario Maker; but the 3D series are certainly a 'lower-end' type of game Mario than Galaxy. Kinda like a 'B game' inbetween major releases.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Galaxy, though both are absolutely amazing and I wouldn't want to miss any Mario game in my collection. Personally, I prefer the collectathon style, but the sublime leveldesign in Galaxy 1-2 and 3D World put them above the two collectathon Marios.

Griss

Galaxy and it's not even close.

Really want to do a post about the difference in quality of level design between the two games, but I'm so lazy :(

I also find it funny that there was a huge outrage when 3D World was announced that it didn't look special like Galaxy did and that it was too close to 3D Land. Then there was a backlash to the backlash saying that it would be a damn good game.

Now, months later, it's accepted that it was a damn good game, but not really special like Galaxy and probably too close to 3D Land. Everyone was right!

E-Cat

Neither. I prefer the SM64/Sunshine type of Mario with an open world and behind-the-shoulder camera.

Platy

Galaxy 1+2 > 3D Land+World

But 3D world is a glorious game.... even if Galaxy 2 is a masterclass in game design

Galaxy easily. I prefer their level creativity. On top of that, I struggle with depth perception with the side camera of the 3D games compared to the behind-the-back camera in the galaxies.

I admire 3D World's attempt to get "back to basics" but the lack of mechanical depth and weaker level design compared to Galaxy 2 has it coming up short.

Galaxy 2 is one of the best 3D platformers ever made, though, so I don't blame it too much.

The Galaxy duo edge out the 3D pair for me, I very much enjoy 3D World for what it is, in fact I just finished another run through like 30 minutes ago and while in actually tackles my biggest flaw with the rest of the 3D series (that being a chunk of powerstars devoted to minigame like tasks that can fluctuate heavily in quality) it doesn't quit hit the highest marks due to its hybrid style of 2D and 3D Mario.

Control is interesting in that it can go both ways, the swifter and snappier feel of 3D World is something I much prefer, Mario can feel a touch sluggish when starting his movements in the Galaxy games by comparison. Galaxy does however have more fun acrobatics to play around with as the base Mario, you can get more immediately creative with the likes of triple jumps and air spins, 3D World tends to require suits (most specifically the catsuit) to reach this same level of innate playfulness, while there's a number of various jump types available in 3D World as well it seems like a number of them are kind of redundant hitting similar heights or distances to more easily used moves, I feel in this respect Galaxy's various acrobatic moves have more use as a whole.

3D World gets some stronger replay variety courtesy of differing characters and the various suits available while Galaxy tends to use its suits/power ups more strongly regarding level design since they're directly built into the progression. Bosses are more varied and interesting in Galaxy as well even if they still remain pretty easy throughout.
Varied level design is a strength of Galaxy 2 and 3D World in particular, both of these games tend to have many ideas that are one and done, each stage offering something new or an inspired spin on something introduced earlier in the game, Galaxy and of course 3D Land with its revamped post game falter a bit by comparison here.
Music is an easy nod for the Galaxy pair, the big band style of 3D World has its moments but I don't find the soundtrack as consistent nor hitting the highest marks that both Galaxy games reach.

When it comes down to it Galaxy's main strength to me is that its more suited to being a 3D game, bar a few staright up 2D sections in both games it really continues to take advantage of platforming in a 3D space, the 3D series will often have sections that while 3D feel like they'd work just fine in 2D.
On top of this the multiplayer focus hinders some level design, underwater stages are basically 2D with a bit more leg room not even able to tackle to wider expanse 3D Land covered, things have to be reigned in more to accomodate multiple players, that being said the mp is great fun aside from the odd choice of player pickup button.
While I'm at it there's my more personal little bugbear that while 3D World is visually polished an bursting with colour the environments themselves come across like vaguely themed props to the platforming within, It's all well and good showing me Bowser's neon skyscarper land but that's really more of a background visual dressing while I jump around geometric brickwork in the sky, Then there's that opening stage of 3D World's World 5 which is an open beach stage that's basically a big rectangular block of sand and shallow water, it's like a double whammy of bland visual design and multiplayer constricting the level design.
The Galaxy games kind of get away with the similar issue because the setting of space and planetoid platforms give it a greater sense of place where the open void of clouds and space just fit a lot better as well as offering its own unique points due to the gravity element, with 3D World/Land we're basically back to the floating Diorama worlds that SM64 often stepped into, at least the platforming can take advantage of this freedom.

Short version is basically the Galaxy duo have a grander audiovisuals, take greater advantage of powerups to strengthen level design and are more well adapted to a 3D space. 3D World still has boatloads of creativity and fun, its just that the hybrid 2D-3D style leaves it falling short of those extra strengths a game committed to either angle can attain. The Galaxy games managed to hit a sweet spot between the wider exploration and openess that 3D affords while still fitting in obstacle course pieces, 3D World does a fine job as a more direct set of obstacle courses itself but I just think that NSMBU had that covered well enough already.

...sudden realisation that I'm all but arguing the difference between 10/10 and a dreaded 9.5.

Since I've gotten the 3D World treatment more recently, I'm more inclined to go with Galaxy but even more more inclined to go with Sunshine/64.

Strictly

Gonna have to go with Galaxy here. The joy I got from playing Galaxy 2 will never be forgotten.

Where as Mario World was a fun but forgettable experience.

Galaxy had a more epic feeling, but i don't honestly feel they're all that different aside from the gravity thing. It's linear, tight as hell Mario platforming.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Pretty much. For me it's like comparing the NSMB series to SMB3/World.

Yes it's exactly like that. And just as I'd take 3D World over Galaxy I'd take NSMB there too. Not a fan of SMB3 at all and I definitely think NSMBU is the best 2D Mario game ever.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Galaxy by a cosmic mile. The 3D World games are good, but they don't even approach the greatness of the Galaxy games.

Probably the Galaxy games because you could do more creative things with level design.

I mean even standard level design was fresh because of the perspective.

Oh, thought 64 and Sunshine were being counted as "3D Mario".

If not, then my choice is even more pronounced.

_woLf

Galaxy. I like full worlds like Galaxy, Sunshine and 64. I truly hope the next mario game isn't another design like 3D or NSMB.

3D World > The Galaxies > Rest of the "3D" iterations.

3D World is video games. Videos games is 3D world.

Edit: Honestly though, both types are so well done that an objective argument can ALMOST be made for both. It's really just preference though. No wrong answers here.

freakzilla3000

I love both. Both are sublime platforming in different ways.

This person nailed it. Both are awesome titles in their own right. Super Mario 3D World is an outstanding game that I think may get a little over looked because it wasn't a "classic 3D Mario...even though the game is down right brilliant).

Galaxy was just AMAZING. I really hope we get an HD remake and a full blown sequel to the series.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
3D

The 64/Sunshine/Galaxy series never really felt like Mario to me, even though it was fun. 3D is the natural progression of the 2D series.

I feel the same. 3D Land was the first 3D Mario that actually felt like a progression of the 2D games in to 3D and not just something totally separate. 3D World evolved that formula further and I definitely feel it has the best gameplay ever seen in a 3D Mario. For me the more linear and focused a platformer is the better it is, and 3D Land/World embraced that philosophy more than any other 3D Mario. It's why Crash Bandicoot was my favourite platforming series in the PS1 era. It's nice to see Mario finally doing that style in 3D.

To be honest, I don't remember much of Galaxy 2 outside the Bowser Levels, Thwomp's Fortress and Starship Mario, whereas I remember every little detail of Galaxy. I don't remember anything from 3D Land and 3D World, outside the final Bowser segments, despite 3D World being the last game I actually played to finish, and that was only 7 months ago.

But it may have to do more with the fact that I was younger when I played Galaxy (13), as opposed to Galaxy 2 (15), 3D Land (17) and 3D World (19).

The galaxy games had clunky controls, boring pacing, and were generally not fun.

dont-believe-you.gif

Pengew

3D World.

I tried playing Galaxy again but the controls feel a bit slippery after playing 3D World. Also, the shifting of platforms and perspective is something I never liked in the Galaxy games.

MrBadger

For me, it goes Galaxy 2 > 3D World > Galaxy 1. But I think the Galaxy series is better over all and has more fresh and unique ideas than the 3D games.

The galaxy games had clunky controls, boring pacing, and were generally not fun.

3D Land and World are 3D Mario perfected.

Agree. Galaxies were for 3/4 collectathon or gimmicky trials. And platforming presented no challenge at all.

3D Land/World are pure utter fun from start to 100% completion.

Vecks

Galaxy. Level designs were much more fun and creative. And some of the locations were great to explore. Controls felt better too, and had much more interesting diversions.

To be honest, I don't remember much of Galaxy 2 outside the Bowser Levels, Thwomp's Fortress and Starship Mario, whereas I remember every little detail of Galaxy. I don't remember anything from 3D Land and 3D World, outside the final Bowser segments, despite 3D World being the last game I actually played to finish, and that was only 7 months ago.

But it may have to do more with the fact that I was younger when I played Galaxy (13), as opposed to Galaxy 2 (15), 3D Land (17) and 3D World (19).

Well now I feel fucking old

Top Bottom