• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 8 |OT| We've fucking time-travelled, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sounds good. Been too long since we've had a two-part finale.

And here's the synopsis for Death In Heaven. No huge revelations but I'll spoiler it anyway:

With Cybermen on the streets of London, old friends unite against old enemies and the Doctor takes to the air in a startling new role.

Can the mighty UNIT contain Missy? As the Doctor faces his greatest challenge, sacrifices must be made before the day is won.

V_Arnold

You're welcome to that opinion, but its not one I hold as well. I want shows to have the best writers, I don't care what gender.

I also want a more even representation of women to be in the industry, but hiring 1-5 new writers entirely on the basis that they are women will not achieve this, because you could be hiring women who are worse writers simply for the sake of hiring women.

This is a fallacy. There is already a sub-optimal situation where there ARE bad Doctor Who episodes written by males. Therefore, saying "I do not care who/what gender they are as long as the scripts are awesome" is coming from a standpoint that assumes that there is a quality-based selection going which unfortunately only left males standing.

That is the exact same fallacy as the "not enough female CEO's", where the EXACT SAME argument is being made.

The problem is: with losing female writers to circumstances, scheduling and whatever reasons, we ARE missing out on quality content. So yeah, you should totally care about having more female writers in Who.

Slowdive

Banned
I can't help but feel that tomorrow's episode is one of the random one liners that Moffat wanted turning into an episode.

'Forest in London - Go'

Expectations are on the floor low so anything better than that will be decent for me.

Magwik

Banned
I can't help but feel that tomorrow's episode is one of the random one liners that Moffat wanted turning into an episode.

'Forest in London - Go'

Expectations are on the floor low so anything better than that will be decent for me.
It seems like it. "What if London turned into a forest and Danny was there!? It will be so cool!"

I'm digging the music at the end. I'm wondering if THAT will be part of the 12th's doctor theme ? We haven't had a good listen to his theme yet

We've heard it plenty, it's just that it's a bit darker and less suitable for action scenes than I Am The Doctor was.

It's been used really effectively, though- its use in the beach scene in Kill The Moon was fantastic.

'Forest in London - Go'

Frank Cottrell-Boyce came in with this idea years ago.

I think people are significantly underestimating this one, honestly. FCB has turned out works of genius in the past.

Radio Times poster for In The Forest Of The Night.

59921.jpg

Zeppu

'Forest in London - Go'

We should play a game where we'll see who can come up with the random scenario for a Who story.

I'll go first.
Snow in the Sahara
Civilization on a star
Sasquatch on a boat

Yeah those would all be terrible.

Fireblend

Banned
We should play a game where we'll see who can come up with the random scenario for a Who story.

I'll go first.
Snow in the Sahara
Civilization on a star
Sasquatch on a boat

Dinosaurs on a spaceship is already the most ridiculous one. Surprisingly, it turned out ok.

I'll go first.
Snow in the Sahara
Civilization on a star
Sasquatch on a boat

Termites eating the TARDIS
The Doctor wins the World Series
Clara nudes leaked on Reddit
Doctor nudes leaked on Reddit
Romana bakes a cake for the Silurians
Journey to the center of K-9
Clip Show from the last 50 years

If someone is still playing Doctor Who legacy the fourth doctor is finally available using this code 2476-5993-9566-8387 through the weekend.
Tom Baker was the last doctor to be included so all the doctors are now in the game includind the war doctor.

I thankfully, even if I dont play the game much anymore, was waiting for any new doctor to release to put their codes, so its good to finally have everyone.

Zeppu

Termites eating the TARDIS
The Doctor wins the World Series
Clara nudes leaked on Reddit
Doctor nudes leaked on Reddit
Romana bakes a cake for the Silurians
Journey to the center of K-9
Clip Show from the last 50 years

This is a cross between Flatland and the Doctor's wife.

Ophelion

I'll go first.
Snow in the Sahara
Civilization on a star
Sasquatch on a boat

Makes me think of the 8th Doctor audio adventure Prisoner of the Sun. That was really awesome.

Wilbur

Banned
Just finished my rewatch up until the end of Smith's time!

Rough top ten in order would be:

Midnight
The Family Of Blood
The Waters Of Mars
Listen
The Doctor Dances
The Girl Who Waited
The Impossible Planet
The Satan Pit
The Day Of The Doctor
The Parting Of The Ways

In terms of Doctors: Capaldi > Smith > Ecclestone > Tennant

Donna > Amy > Clara > Rory > Rose > Martha

MrHoot

Just finished my rewatch up until the end of Smith's time!

Rough top ten in order would be:

Midnight
The Family Of Blood
The Waters Of Mars
Listen
The Doctor Dances
The Girl Who Waited
The Impossible Planet
The Satan Pit
The Day Of The Doctor
The Parting Of The Ways

Waters of Mars and Family of blood are so damn good.
I'm still waiting for the day we'll get new episodes as good as these with capaldi, how glorious it would be

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I have never understood the fandom's like of Gridlock. It is one of the most mediocre episodes I can think of. It neither entertained nor disgusted me, it was just bland as bland can be.

I honestly found that episode as dull as shitwater

I have never understood the fandom's like of Gridlock. It is one of the most mediocre episodes I can think of. It neither entertained nor disgusted me, it was just bland as bland can be.
Boo. BOOOOOOOOOO

I never pretended that my deep, abiding love of Gridlock was rational. I just love everything about it- the world-building, the bonkers imagination, the scope, the implications, Ardal O'Hanlon as a cat man, the elderly lesbians, the ending, the Macra.... Fuck, I just love it. Would absolutely love another episode exploring that world.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think Gridlock is the absolute clearest fault-line in the NuWho community. For almost every group there is some Venn diagram in which they share at least one other opinion, but my experience there is no single Moffat-fan who likes Gridlock and no single Davies-fan who dislikes it. It's like the pH test of Whovians.

Wilbur

Banned
i don't even remember the elderly lesbians, if they'd been up to nefarious lesbian activity i probably would have and thus would have enjoyed the episode a lot more

#gayagenda

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I honestly have to put Smith last. He often felt like the most indulgent aspects of the Doctor rolled in one. Hell it took them like two series' to begin approaching the kind of character work they're managing with Capaldi in like seven episodes

Can we do a soundtrack list next? I feel like we never do soundtracks.
I'm down for that.

1. This is Gallifrey: Our Childhood, Our Home
2. Melody Pond
3. Doomsday
4. Together, or Not at All- The Story of Amy and Rory
5. A Dazzling End
6. The Dark And Endless Dalek Night
7. Four Knocks
8. The Lone Dalek
9. Whose Enigma
10. The Life and Death of Amy Pond
11. The Greatest Story Never Told
12. The Impossible Astronaut
13. Clara in the TARDIS
14. The Rueful Fate of Donna Noble
15. Vale Decem
16. Song of Freedom
17. All The Strange, Strange Creatures
18. Abigail's Song (Silence Is All You Know)
19. A Dream of Catastrophe
20. With Love, Vincent

I think Gridlock is the absolute clearest fault-line in the NuWho community. For almost every group there is some Venn diagram in which they share at least one other opinion, but my experience there is no single Moffat-fan who likes Gridlock and no single Davies-fan who dislikes it. It's like the pH test of Whovians.

Ta-da! Davies fan who hates it.

I liked Gridlock ok actually, and pretty much disliked everything about RTD Who except the characters. I generally prefer Moffat's take on the show, except he's reached the point of self indulgent pap too, only in the other direction.

I'm down for that.

2. Melody Pond
3. Doomsday
4. Together, or Not at All- The Story of Amy and Rory
5. A Dazzling End
6. The Dark And Endless Dalek Night
7. Four Knocks
8. The Lone Dalek
9. Whose Enigma
10. The Life and Death of Amy Pond
11. The Greatest Story Never Told
12. The Impossible Astronaut
13. Clara in the TARDIS
14. The Rueful Fate of Donna Noble
15. Vale Decem
16. Song of Freedom
17. All The Strange, Strange Creatures
18. Abigail's Song (Silence Is All You Know)
19. A Dream of Catastrophe
20. With Love, Vincent

Gah, that's a good list.

2. Martha's Theme
3. The Doctor Forever
4. The Mad Man with a Box
5. All the Strange, Strange Creatures
6. The Long Song
7. Vale Decem
8. Amy in the TARDIS
9. Clara in the TARDIS