• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite "Celebrities" that are Gamers

478976_320x320.jpg

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet

Lady Gaia

What, literally not a single nomination for Chris Kluwe? He's a former NFL punter and a wonderful, outspoken ally for LGBT rights. His rant aimed at an anti-gay politician is the stuff of legends. He's also an avid video game player whose Twitter identity is @ChrisWarcraft.

down 2 orth

Del the Funky Homosapien would be my favorite, followed by Ronda Rousey of the UFC (because her 'bitch' persona is just an act, in reality she's a super smart Olympic medalist)

What, literally not a single nomination for Chris Kluwe? He's a former NFL punter and a wonderful, outspoken ally for LGBT rights. His rant aimed at an anti-gay politician is the stuff of legends. He's also an avid video game player whose Twitter identity is @ChrisWarcraft.

He has an account here and probably came to most peoples attention when he decided to write a Game Informer article complaining about Xenoblade's graphics. :p He popped into that thread to discuss his points.

Grizzo

Iliana Glazer, aka one of the girls from Broad City (best new show of 2014)

She has a YouTube channel where she gets high, eats a lot and plays old games (pretty badly to be honest, but it's not what matters the most)

Also, Lupita Nyong'o states several times that she used to play too much Final Fantasy 8 when she was younger. No idea if she still plays games though.

The one and only, Frank Ocean. His love for games invades his albums, (which are amazing as well). He's long overdue for a sophomore album too.

frank-ocean1.jpg

Side Note: I think all of Odd Future plays video games.

rob305

1251225249_jessica_simpson_290x402.jpg

Jessica Simpson.

I remember she was on this German gaming show GIGA around 15 years ago and she was talking about her being a lot into games. I thought that was just the typical PR talk but then they played some Donkey Kong 64 multiplayer and she knew exactly what she was doing.

Well, I can't find the article online (as it was posted in the late 90's on a probably now defunct gaming website) but I remember reading an interview with Emilio Estevez where he talked about playing Quake multiplayer on various Los Angeles servers in the mid 90's. He said he went by various names including "MightyDuckMan".

So... when I read that article I recalled that when I lived in Southern California in the mid 90's that I too played Quake multiplayer on LA servers and I remember seeing another player by the name of "MightyDuckMan" on the same servers I frequented. At this time there was no in-game voice chat as people were typically on 128k, 56k modems or T1 if you were damn lucky. The latency was a huge reason why most people played on servers physically local to them so they could get a lower ping. So to "talk" with people in games you would type your message - similar to how most multiplayer commenting and talking is still done today.

Anyway, for the heck of it (and probably to be a smart ass) I asked this "MightyDuckMan" if he thought he was Emilio Estevez or something. His response was "Maybe." I had no idea until years later that it really was most likely him. If I had never read that interview with him I would have never thought much about it.

To be fair I remember him being a decent player - usually towards the top in end-game statistics but almost never ending up being the best player overall (he was good but not the best), but he was never a jerk. He just played, didn't say much and was comparatively "soft spoken" online on the servers I remember playing with him on. I remember him being one of the other cool "regulars" that my brother and I saw on the Quake LA servers often enough to recognize.

Guess that's the closest I ever came to playing a game with a celebrity.

MTE5NDg0MDU0ODUxNjUxMDg3.jpg

read that he plays/played a lot of WoW.

MI0003589852.jpg

seen em playing on videos and his tour bus.

Migos_on_couch_2014-05-02_14-02.png

too many references in their music to be a coincidence.

curren$yblog.jpg

I know for a fact that he plays vidya games.

others have been mentioned like Danny Brown, Ice T, Vin Diesel (Didnt he have a video game company???), and Odd Future. i cant think of anybody else.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Freddie Prinze Jr. is into gaming.

He seems to know what the fuck he's talking about in this video. I've heard other stuff about him gaming too, but I couldn't find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hYDSUBCr-U

That was a great video. I remember watching all his movies when I was a teen and thinking he'd turn out to be such a dbag. I was completely wrong about him. I thought he was going to take his million dollars and his A list celebrity wife and just wing it forever. If anyone is planning to get DA:I they should watch this video.

Conan.png

Watching him as a very young kid in the basement of my old house and seeing him make videos about video games is very cool.

Into

Snoop Dogg

Just because even back in the mid-late 90s he would talk about games he played, before it was "cool" to be a nerd. And it never came across as some phoney sponsorship, here-say-this-we-pay-you, he actually knew what he was talking about

Soma

The one and only, Frank Ocean. His love for games invades his albums, (which are amazing as well). He's long overdue for a sophomore album too.

frank-ocean1.jpg

Side Note: I think all of Odd Future plays video games.

Man I'm feeling like bumping Channel Orange again right about now.

As soon as I heard that PS1 startup intro in the first track I knew this album would be good.

Adam Baldwin. Do has-beens count?

I'm kidding. I can't stand his guts.

My favorite celebrity who plays videogames has to be Nathan Fillion and Jimmy Fallon. Fallon's doing more for gaming that we give him credit for by giving them space and importance on his mainstream network tv late show. That alone deserves props!

Jintor

Vin diesel gave us that amazing riddick game(s). I'm still surprised nobody has tried to get him to play dnd with him on a podcast or something yet. Never was sure if penny arcade actually tried or not

Any examples of how into gaming Vin Diesel is? I had no idea.

Well, he owns Tigon Studios, the studio responsable of the awesome Chronicles of Riddick videogames (along with Starbreeze) I'm not sure if the studio is a development arm or just a producing one tho.

charsace

Joe Rogan was a beast at Quake. He quit games completely because he was addicted to it and constantly building PC's. He bought high speed internet at a time when it was rare and really expensive just for quake.

Chandler Riggs( Carl from Walking Dead) Used to have a gaming channel on youtube. he'd play like Minecraft and other stuff. I think his channel is gone now.

He showed up at PAX Prime last week, he got interviewed in between games at the LoL championships. I walked over to that side of the building just in time to spot him on the big screen! haha

Top Bottom