• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Sony is Under Major Pressure to Cut the Price of the Vita or Risk a Major Failure”

Agent X

Zen said:
But the wider the systems range to satisfy consumer wants, the better off it is. That's why Infinity Blade and Angry Birds can both be a success on the same device.

Good point. It's funny how some people are trying to spin "more powerful hardware" into being some sort of disadvantage, as an obstacle for developers.

Games don't have to cost more to develop on PS Vita than they would on 3DS or iOS. Since the hardware ceiling on Vita is higher, it's conceivable that the high-end games on the system could cost more to develop, but not every game is going to be intended as a high-end production. If short, simple "pick-up-and-play" games end up being the biggest attraction, then the Vita can easily shift their emphasis to those games, and they would not cost any more to develop than they would on 3DS or iOS or other similar platforms, yet offer better graphics and/or control performance than any of them.

Agent X said:
Good point. It's funny how some people are trying to spin "more powerful hardware" into being some sort of disadvantage, as an obstacle for developers.

Games don't have to cost more to develop on PS Vita than they would on 3DS or iOS. Since the hardware ceiling on Vita is higher, it's conceivable that the high-end games on the system could cost more to develop, but not every game is going to be intended as a high-end production. If short, simple "pick-up-and-play" games end up being the biggest attraction, then the Vita can easily shift their emphasis to those games, and they would not cost any more to develop than they would on 3DS or iOS or other similar platforms, yet offer better graphics and/or control performance than any of them.

the problem is standardization of pricing. i don't understand why platform holders do this. do they just want a reliable fixed number to go by as far as the licensing royalties they get from each copy of third party games released on a platform they own?

and obviously the standards aren't quite standardized either, as every now and then we have retail PS3 games selling for $40/$50 new at release, instead of the $60 that seemed to be mandated in the beginning. i don't get it.

EDIT FOR CLARITY: a game could cost very little to make, but would still be sold at the standard price of $50 (or whatever Vita games will cost) instead of a more reasonable price like $25 or $30. what a lot of people also don't realize about Vita development is that companies already making PS3 games can literally export their code to Vita, and modify the assets and have it running. so development costs could be shared by both projects to help save the developer time/money but also allow better parity between the two versions.

so now there's even more reason for devs to save some money and be able to release games at.... ahem.... *more competitive* prices, than there was before.

Zen said:
The 3DS hasn't shown off games that show the power difference between it and the DS. While there is a power jump, it's dwarfed by everything else on the market to a degree that said jump looks and feels much smaller than it really is.

Do you even know what a 3DS is? Resident Evil, SSFIV, DOA, RE:Mercenaries are all FAR above what the DS was capable of and above what most PSP games look like as well!

Anyway, to get back on topic, I think $40 is the upper limit of what handheld games can reasonably be sold for. Regardless of the actual cost of making the game or other factors that go into pricing I think that's the most consumers are going to be willing to pay for, not because the games aren't worth it (a lot of handheld games on the PSP/DS packed more content than games on consoles this gen) but because they're on a handheld

Oppo

There isn't really any standardization of game pricing on digital. You can buy things on PSN that play on PS3 or PSP that range the gamut from $1 (or free if you're a Plusser) up to the full $60.

I think the calculation Sony is making, in a very simplistic sense (mine not theirs) is:

iPod Touch: $230 / $300 / $400, games $1-$15
PS Vita: $250 / $300, games $1-$40

If you lean towards browsing/social and less towards gaming, then you get the Touch. Other way, the Vita. I know what my 12-year-old self would pick and I'm a big Apple fan - it would be Vita all the way. Now, my 36-year-old self still likes the Vita but I will wait to see how the launch goes.

(That said I never miss a Wipeout. So it's more of an "eventually" than a "maybe", unless something is drastically wrong with the Vita.)

pixelbox

What Sony needs to do is make sure they have that OS ready and does what's promised. They've showed some amazing things that will change how things are done in the industry. I just hope they could build a eco-system for their products around the OS and keep it cohesive in a timely manner.

pixelbox

PortTwo said:
There isn't really any standardization of game pricing on digital. You can buy things on PSN that play on PS3 or PSP that range the gamut from $1 (or free if you're a Plusser) up to the full $60.

I think the calculation Sony is making, in a very simplistic sense (mine not theirs) is:

iPod Touch: $230 / $300 / $400, games $1-$15
PS Vita: $250 / $300, games $1-$40

If you lean towards browsing/social and less towards gaming, then you get the Touch. Other way, the Vita. I know what my 12-year-old self would pick and I'm a big Apple fan - it would be Vita all the way. Now, my 36-year-old self still likes the Vita but I will wait to see how the launch goes.

(That said I never miss a Wipeout. So it's more of an "eventually" than a "maybe", unless something is drastically wrong with the Vita.)
Well the browsing/social thing is kinda what they're pushing. You're able to leave comments facebook style in their system which is intergrated in their OS.

bigace33

Man how can Sony sell this thing for 249.99? I was reading in the latest bloomberg business week that Sony has lost 74 billion dollars in market value since 2000. The whole PS3 fiasco had to cost them even more millions if not billions. It's a miracle that this company is still a float. I plan on getting a Vita but damn it seems like Sony is some serious trouble.

.la1n

bigace33 said:
Man how can Sony sell this thing for 249.99? I was reading in the latest bloomberg business week that Sony has lost 74 billion dollars in market value since 2000. The whole PS3 fiasco had to cost them even more millions if not billions. It's a miracle that this company is still a float. I plan on getting a Vita but damn it seems like Sony is some serious trouble.

You could say that about just about every major corporation right now.

bigace33

.la1n said:
You could say that about just about every major corporation right now.
True. I was just saying that to say that I think the price point for Vita is unbelievably cheap considering the position Sony is in right now.

bigace33 said:
True. I was just saying that to say that I think the price point for Vita is unbelievably cheap considering the position Sony is in right now.

Vita "business" will be profitable from day one. It will recoup R&D costs in 3 years.

MightyKAC

bigace33 said:
Man how can Sony sell this thing for 249.99?

The real money has never been in the hardware. Vita's and 3DS's are pretty much just sales vehicles for 1st and 3rd party software. That's why the 3DS can drop its price so drastically and the PSV can start their's so low.

I mean if you can make money off the hardware that's fine too (I.E. the Wii) but , I get the feeling with competition being the way that it is these days, selling hardware for a profit will most likely be a thing of the past.

As long as Sony can get and keep good games for this thing it will do ok.

Have we heard the battery life of this yet

I just can't picture any more than 3-4 hours with the power it's packing. And if it's 3-4 hours, then good luck Sony, because you'll need it.

StevieP

Banned
Zen said:
The low price of the Wii was what really allowed it to gain such critical mass in the marketplace. It would have faced a very unfavorable PR situation if it had launched at the same price as the 360 due to the system power making it, rightly, appear like Nintendo was pumping up the price for absurd profit margins. A fun low cost easy to use console was a major appeal of the Wii, and putting a mass market prohibitive price on an impulse purchase tailored item would have hampered its performance in the market period.

It's weird that you're trying to say in one breath that price wouldn't have changed how the Wii performed against the 360 whilst in another breath you say that, essentially, you just can't sell a handheld at $250.

You're acting like my argument is trying to say that the only reason the 3DS didn't sell well is because of system power, which couldn't be further from the truth. System power was a contributing factor.

250 dollars is not some magical barrier that consumer are unwilling to fork out for regardless of the device. The 3DS and Vita have different attributes and as such have different perceived value at different prices.

Oh graphics on handhelds matter less than they use to absolutely, and the success of angry birds says how little that can matter, but part of the reason that the Wii sold predominantly to casual gamers and non gamers was because the Wii wasn't capable of resonating with the segment of the market that wants high fidelity graphics. HELPED IN NO SMALL PART TO THE COMPLETE REFUSAL OF THIRD PARTIES TO GIVE A DAMN. But the wider the systems range to satisfy consumer wants, the better off it is. That's why Infinity Blade and Angry Birds can both be a success on the same device.

People adopted the PSP just fine for a while in spite of the software and experience being underwhelming. Sure the Vita won't be exactly console quality, but on an OLED screen? Frankly the difference will never have been so small, and it will enjoy technological superiority over the IOS market for some years to come. That's an ecosystem that the Vita can actively co-opt, where as the 3DS is already fairly technologically ancient in raw power with the IOS/Android market and the Vita, not that Nintendo's philosophy will probably mean that we'd see them attempting to co-opt smart phone gaming to any degree.

No, no, and no.

Software. Software. Software!

That's it. That's all that matters. Price has an effect on adoption, but it ALL comes down to software. Wii's sold (easily) for $500 on Ebay for like 2 years because it had a piece of software the mass market wanted to play. It was selling at near-PS3 costs because there was massive demand for the product, and it was all because of its launch title (hell if anything, Nintendo *underpriced* the Wii as the free market showed).

The DS, after its initial slow launch period, got pieces of software that the mass market wanted. The redesign helped, certainly, but it was all software that propelled it.

The 3DS, for all its pricing issues, does not have a piece of software that *everyone* wants to play. Therefore, it will continue to sell at a slow pace until it does. Past trends indicate that Mario Kart may be that piece of software, but we will not know until the holidays.

The Vita, looking at its rumoured launch titles, also does not have a piece of software that the mass market wants to play. And no, Uncharted is not mass market software. If you have something that everyone wants, people will gladly pay $250 for it.

My point is that "perceived value for what you're getting" means fuck all. It's entirely mass market software that will sell your platform.

Zen

Banned
My point is that "perceived value for what you're getting" means fuck all. It's entirely mass market software that will sell your platform.

/shrug

What I've said if that the Vita will have an easer time selling at 250 than a 3DS. It's being targeted at a consumer segment that will pay that price range for said device more so than the 3DS with much higher specs. We're not talking about some PS3 pricing situation here that's just insanity.

I mean, again, people adopted the PSP just fine initially in spite of lackluster software, people murdered eachother for the PS2 around launch and does anyone remmeber how it had terrible software? I'm not saying that the Vita has the hype of a PS2, obviously.

Sure people were buyng Wii's for 500 on Ebay, that doesn't mean that the Wii would have worked as well as a mass market product if it hat retailed for 400-500. There's a reason that auction selling of hard to find products represents the upper range of consumer tolerance.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Who is putting the major pressure to cut the price? An event planner?
Most people think the price of the PSVita is in the competitive waters, as well as being decently tagged.

The 3DS from the get go was painstakingly priced and then Nintendo later realized that people weren't falling for it, so they lowered the price, and I bought one.

Zen said:
/shrug

What I've said if that the Vita will have an easer time selling at 250 than a 3DS. It's being targeted at a consumer segment that will pay that price range for said device more so than the 3DS with much higher specs. We're not talking about some PS3 pricing situation here that's just insanity.

I have to see some proof of this. Where are people getting this? Is it just based on assumptions? Do people assume the 3DS is being targeted at a younger audience simply because of "Lol Nintendo" despite NONE of the advertising hinting at it and none of the games, aside from maybe Nintendogs + Cats hinting at it either?

Also, for all the talk of PSP being targeted at an older audience most of the commercials featured teenagers playing it and the last big ad campaign featured that kid Marcus who looked like he was maybe 14/15.

So I ask, aside from simply having advanced tech, what proof do we have that the Vita is being targeted at the tech savy "hardcore" gamers group? Anything from Sony? Because looking at the games, they seem to span the same audience as the 3DS titles released/announced so far

I've felt the PSP2 was dead on arrival since the day it was announced. The 3DS's launch has only solidified that feeling.

A $50 price cut would be wise IMO.

wazoo

vita has nothing that ps2 and psp had in terms of market presence.

when the ps2 launched, sony hype and share was at its all time high, dvd and ps1 bc were big plus and we were in a time of platform hegemony, the closest you could get from the one console market.
when psp launched, sony was still high and nintendo almost irrelevant.

now, sony is third in both handheld and console market, flopped with the go and somehow with the move, is very weak financially and so on. moreover, there is so many active platforms now that the vita seems hardly important, even more considering that sony asks devs to invest more in the successor of a platform with very poor sales ( software) be it because of market disinterest or piracy ( piracy which is far from being solved looking at the recent psn hack). add the fact that so many customers do not want to pay much for software that it seems very naive to apply the rules of losing money on hardware and gaining on software with the vita when software is not expected to cost much.
no, the price of vita is the least of sony problems.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Zoramon089 said:
I have to see some proof of this. Where are people getting this? Is it just based on assumptions? Do people assume the 3DS is being targeted at a younger audience simply because of "Lol Nintendo" despite NONE of the advertising hinting at it and none of the games, aside from maybe Nintendogs + Cats hinting at it either?

Also, for all the talk of PSP being targeted at an older audience most of the commercials featured teenagers playing it and the last big ad campaign featured that kid Marcus who looked like he was maybe 14/15.

So I ask, aside from simply having advanced tech, what proof do we have that the Vita is being targeted at the tech savy "hardcore" gamers group? Anything from Sony? Because looking at the games, they seem to span the same audience as the 3DS titles released/announced so far
Yeah, iirc it was in an interview with one of Sony's officials (Yoshida?) who said that they'd be targeting core consumers in their message and line-up. That's the market they expect to respond the most to their offering, at least initially.

Jinfash said:
Yeah, it was in an interview with one of Sony's officials (Yoshida?) who said that they'd be targeting core consumers in their message and line-up, that's the market they expect will be responding to their offering the most initially.

Okok, as long as people aren't just assuming

Zen

Banned
Zoramon089 said:

Sure, now, but anyone will tell you that the younger focus was a switchup in messaging that happened along the way. The PSP was originally marketed as something of a lifestyle device for the 20 something crowd and older.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoszkD46H80
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbfZHUbFRno

I'm still trying to find the one where the guy gets directed to a party/date via the PSP memory cards.

Wazzim

Banned
They can't possibly cut the price until they sign a new contract with lower prices for the hardware in end-2012. €250 is good enough for now, especially with popular software around release (think the rumoured MHP3rdG and Call of Duty).

StevieP

Banned
Zen said:
Sure, now, but anyone will tell you that the younger focus was a switchup in messaging that happened along the way. The PSP was originally marketed as something of a lifestyle device for the 20 something crowd and older.

I'm still trying to find the one where the guy gets directed to a party/date via the PSP memory cards.

Despite Sony's best attempts, their biggest demographic was/is young teens with the PSP. Nintendo took the opposite (holding both younger and older than teen) and the mass market at large. The "urban" nature of Sony's advertising for the PSP was the direct result of a LOT of research on their demographics.

Neither the 3DS nor the Vita will be extremely successful as a "core" gaming device, because being a "core" gaming device is never a resounding success. Doesn't mean they won't sell a decent amount of units (the PSP sure did), but if you want to be a DS/PS2/PS1/Wii etc etc level success, you need to have software that the mass market wants. As it stands right now, neither handheld does.

Zen said:

Sony was positioning the PSP to be the Walkman of the 21st century.

Unfortunately for them Apple already beat 'em to it.

Zen

Banned
StevieP said:
Neither the 3DS nor the Vita will be extremely successful as a "core" gaming device, because being a "core" gaming device is never a resounding success. Doesn't mean they won't sell a decent amount of units (the PSP sure did), but if you want to be a DS/PS2/PS1/Wii etc etc level success, you need to have software that the mass market wants. As it stands right now, neither handheld does.

We very likely won't see that magic piece of software coming, if it actually does. But there's also nothing wrong with selling 60 million units of hardware provided you have a healthy ecosystem behind it.

StevieP

Banned
Zen said:
We very likely won't see that magic piece of software coming, if it actually does. But there's also nothing wrong with selling 60 million units of hardware provided you have a healthy ecosystem behind it.

Mario Kart was extremely successful on the DS. Doesn't mean it will be as successful on the 3DS (it probably won't) but at the very least that is a premier piece of mass market software. A "crossover" title, if you will, that appeals to many ages and demographics. Uncharted, as Vita's premier piece of launch software, has a narrower appeal. Sony needs to have something in the works that goes beyond the young male demo in order for that healthy ecosystem to be built.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Zen said:

That's the big one, as long as people buy software then the hardware will succeed, even if it doesn't break records left and right.

The PSP's failure is now that it didn't sell well, it was that the software ecosystem in the USA and Europe was horrible. Piracy combined with long droughts of games made the userbase flee the console. Once quality software was released, everyone has migrated to different platforms.

Vita and 3DS doesn't need to sell as much as the PSP or the DS to be successful, they need to have a market that continues to buy software on it long after the initial purchase is done. The PS3/360 are amazing examples of consoles who didn't change the world, but they have a strong software market, and by extension have a great lineup of games.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Zoramon089 said:

average age of DS owner > average age of PSP owner actually.

newjeruse said:
It's not going to happen and it doesn't need to, so yeah. It's a great value as is. The price didn't kill the 3DS, the software lineup did.

This, I honestly don't think price was the 3DS's biggest problem software and image were and still are.

Key2001 said:
The PSVita doesn't have the asset cost and density of PS3 games.

In what sense? The system is targeted at PS3-esque power, in a fashion similar to the PSP->PS2 relationship. While PSV is in fact somewhat less powerful overall (as PSP was to PS2) the overall profile is very much the same.

it also does not have near as large project scopes, content volume, etc. as PS3 games do.

Can't have it both ways on this. If the pitch of the system is that it's viable for PS3 multiplats, that PS3 games can have Vita releases in a comparable ballpark to their console versions, that Uncharted PSV is a meaningful effort at an Uncharted title and not a slight, content-free approximation thereof, then yes, the PSV's high-profile titles are going to have similar scope and volume to PS3 titles.

AdventureRacing said:
It will be the same situation that we saw on the HD consoles. It's easy to say if you don't have the budget just make a game that looks like a PSP game. The problem is that when sonys first party and some of the bigger 3rd parties makes games that look like incredible that won't fly anymore.

Preaching to the choir on this one. :p

SharkJAW

This "VITA IS DOOMED" crap is really taking its toll on me. IIRC, Sony made it quite obvious that their initial sales would be directed to "core" gamers. I doubt that the price drop of the 3DS is going to suddenly cause everyone to lose all interest in the Vita. If Vita faces a "major failure", I highly doubt it would directly correlate to the price. I apologize for being redundant and reiterating what has most likely been already said: software garners sales more than price diminishes it.

StevieP

Banned
CinnabonJovii said:
This "VITA IS DOOMED" crap is really taking its toll on me. IIRC, Sony made it quite obvious that their initial sales would be directed to "core" gamers. I doubt that the price drop of the 3DS is going to suddenly cause everyone to lose all interest in the Vita. If Vita faces a "major failure", I highly doubt it would directly correlate to the price. I apologize for being redundant and reiterating what has most likely been already said: software garners sales more than price diminishes it.

100% agreed. Things like price and hardware/style DO have an effect, but it will be 100% completely software that dictates the success or failure of any device. They're only "doooooomed" if they ignore that convention.

I personally felt £250 was too much for a 3DS however i was perfectly fine paying it for a VITA the quality of the games both lineup and per title looked like it outshines the 3DS in every way.

mug

The Vita is definitely worth $250 but the problem is will people actually buy it? The market we have today is completely different from when the PSP was released.

FoxSpirit

mug said:
The Vita is definitely worth $250 but the problem is will people actually buy it? The market we have today is completely different from when the PSP was released.
The Japanese certainly will. Even if all I get to play is weird Japanese stuff so be it. My gaming has been far too "normal" anyway. Never had a PSP and it seems that was where many quirky small j-devs went. Exiting times ahead :-D

1-D_FTW

CinnabonJovii said:

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not a Sony guy by a longshot, but IMO this thing is going to own the Japanese market (and by extension, the Japanese third parties). Think it's going to pretty much kill off everything else there.

Oppo

The 3DS was perceived as overpriced when it was unveiled. It is now perceived as priced reasonably.

The Vita price was considered a pleasant surprise by most here, and I think that perception was true, regardless of one op-Ed.

If it crashes it won't be because of the price. It'll be because of the software support, or mass market influences.

StevieP said:
Despite Sony's best attempts, their biggest demographic was/is young teens with the PSP. Nintendo took the opposite (holding both younger and older than teen) and the mass market at large. The "urban" nature of Sony's advertising for the PSP was the direct result of a LOT of research on their demographics.

Why does the iPod Touch sell? Target the Vita at the same market. PERIOD. More powerful, bigger screen, better games, same function.

Twitter app, IheartRadio, ESPNRadio, MLB At Bat app, Text Now, TuneIn Radio, Stanza, Video App, Youtube app....

Better device than the Touch, better games, same function.

PortTwo said:
The 3DS was perceived as overpriced when it was unveiled. It is now perceived as priced reasonably.

The Vita price was considered a pleasant surprise by most here, and I think that perception was true, regardless of one op-Ed.

If it crashes it won't be because of the price. It'll be because of the software support, or mass market influences.

But was the Vita's price only considered good when compared to the 3DS? I'm not saying it is or not but wonder if the reaction would have been the same had the 3DS been released at the real price.

OldJadedGamer said:
But was the Vita's price only considered good when compared to the 3DS?

In the main yes, although some were expecting the PSVita to be $349.99+ because of the tech.

Skilletor said:
Thank god.

I've already got one of those.

Exactly, you can't market someone something new they already have unless it it significantly different.

Patapwn

BruiserBear said:
I've felt the PSP2 was dead on arrival since the day it was announced. The 3DS's launch has only solidified that feeling.

A $50 price cut would be wise IMO.

A 50 price cut on something that is DOA?

OldJadedGamer said:
But was the Vita's price only considered good when compared to the 3DS? I'm not saying it is or not but wonder if the reaction would have been the same had the 3DS been released at the real price.

$250 was still at least $50 less than most (myself included) were expecting, and reaction probably would still have been positive on the whole. The euphoria would have been quite a bit more muted, though.

Opus Angelorum said:
In the main yes, although some were expecting the PSVita to be $349.99+ because of the tech.

Exactly, you can't market someone something new they already have unless it it significantly different.
Dual analog sticks, bigger and brighter screen, rear pad touch, sony line of games.

Using your logic they should stick with the current psp go. People already have those.

Why keep the Touch?

Top Bottom